Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I had PuntAngst when we changed.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Tony EH wrote: »
    Very, very, quiet.

Nonexistent, in fact

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doxy79

Anyone remember milk mate? That sickly sweet syrup ****e you added to milk? Strawberry, Banana, chocolate... I'm almost gagging thinking of taste!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Fritzbox wrote: »
    The first official language of Ireland is Irish - surely the official name of the Irish currency would be an Irish language word, which I don't think "pound" is. Is "punt" an Irish language word - I thought it was some sort of boat? If you asked an Irish speaker, in Irish, to tel you what his wages were, what word for the currency would he/she use?

Edit: I think cameramonkey's post might help in my question.

Oh my God, forgive me for my sins....I confess I’m a native speaker....... god help me in this thread.....lol I had a ‘punt’ and ‘pound’ purse...:pac:

doxy79 wrote: »
    Anyone remember milk mate? That sickly sweet syrup ****e you added to milk? Strawberry, Banana, chocolate... I'm almost gagging thinking of taste!

Sounds nice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yeah, your man is a bit off his head alright, sound enough if he was sedated I'd say.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Never heard anyone in Ireland use punt, British media used that term but correct term was Irish pound, it was not officially called the punt as far as I remember.

It certainly was in the financial world and with terminals limited to 80 chars it was usually shortened to just Punt.

MTV:USA on a Sunday afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

MT:USA also repeated Friday nights. Great show although lots of repetition (particularly in first series) - Rockwell and Van Halen appeared 5 times out of 8 shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Vincent Hanley wasn't it?

I remember the different types of Dublin buses too!
    My first being the RA type (hop on hop off), followed by some smelly old Leyland busses that always seemed to be falling apart, then there was the super-dooper 'Van Hool' automatic buses, well I hougjt they were super (maybe they were crap)? :)

• Advertisement

Vincent Hanley wasn't it?

Yes, Fab Vinnie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

fryup wrote: »
    the official term was punt

Official name or not ,Punt was Irish money. Pounds were british. You's ( not ye) southerners mightened have called it that but it was a way to differentiate the money

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

What was it like in the 1980's in Ireland?

I have seen pictures, video and my god it looked like a depressing place. :eek:

Grey, delapidated, hopeless.

What was it like? How did you get by without internets, wheelie bins, toilets...?

Would you go back if you could??

*Might as well throw in the 70's too for people of that vintage.

Everywhere looked poor at that time not only Ireland. Strange thing is that when you watch videos from the 1950's everywhere in the world looked so rich happy and beautiful.

The Ryanline started in 1988

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Das Reich wrote: »
    Everywhere looked poor at that time not only Ireland. Strange thing is that when you watch videos from the 1950's everywhere in the world looked so rich happy and beautiful.

We were very much behind the curve though, they say the 60s happened in the 70s and the 70s happened in the 1980s in Ireland, and that is very true!
    Our society was very stifled, inward looking and repressed, which is why why someone of my vintage is now so impressed as to how we have caught up in the last few decades, and how well we now compare to any country in Europe....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭its_steve116

We were very much behind the curve though, they say the 60s happened in the 70s and the 70s happened in the 1980s in Ireland, and that is very true!
    Our society was very stifled, inward looking and repressed, which is why why someone of my vintage is now so impressed as to how we have caught up in the last few decades, and how well we now compare to any country in Europe....
    What about the 90s, did the 80s happen in the 90s?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

No, the 60s happened in the late 80s/early 90s here. The 70s didn't happen at all. We then squeezed 20 years into 10 and caught up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

No, the 60s happened in the late 80s/early 90s here. The 70s didn't happen at all. We then squeezed 20 years into 10 and caught up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Watch TOTPs from 70s n 80s. See de gammy clothes n dancing, dats what we looked like. It was great.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Sardonicat wrote: »

The 1860’s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

branie2 wrote: »
    The Ryanline started in 1988

""Line" being the operative word

• Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭cgcsb

A lot of people seem to be operating off an assumption that Ireland has 'caught up' to western Europe.

But that's only partially true. We've learned how to mind our own business when it comes to our neighbour's private affairs. We've put together an economy which is generally buoyant. We have a very strong education system. There is still significant ground to cover before we catch up. For example we are very far from having west European standard of health service. We're even further away from having a functional housing market and a sufficiently stocked social housing system (which ironically is something we had in the past). The standard of public transport is lower than all of Europe and parts of North America and Asia. Private services like banking and insurance are also hands-down, worst in Europe. Public and private corruption is rampant but I suppose it's hard to say if it's any better or worse elsewhere.

Overall I think it's premature to say we've caught up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Agree with the above, but in some ways, because of our later development, we have more modern infrastructure and hospitals than the UK and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Anyone remember proper metal bins & bin lorries? The lids were always blowing off in high winds :)

And the mess it would make when the arse rusted out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Some of Wanderly Wagon survives. RTE released two DVDs in the 2000s. I have the first one - a continuous storyline from c.1979. 7 episodes, no end credits which is very sloppy.

Theres a partial 1971 black and white episode on YouTube, on phone can't link.

Do you know what the status of Fortycoats & Co is? Again just a partial episode on YouTube and that's it. I think it ran up to about 88 or 89. Was there a radio series as well? Ive a funny feeling there was.

Theres a partial 1971 black and white episode on YouTube, on phone can't link.

Do you know what the status of Fortycoats & Co is? Again just a partial episode on YouTube and that's it. I think it ran up to about 88 or 89. Was there a radio series as well? Ive a funny feeling there was.

There was a documentary on TV3 some years ago about Irish kids television - still have it on the DVD recorder. Pretty sure it has Fortycoats clips so I imagine some of it is intact.

Here is the RTE Guide announcing the start of it - January 1983. The character of Fortycoats first appeared in Wanderly Wagon in 1979 but wasn't played by Fran Dempsey - instead it was Bill Golding (who previously played Rory). I found that annoying at the time - and still do.

81248329_2667280763500197_7137059838525177856_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=vzNjvhx11R8AX8xPMbt&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-1.fna&oh=bd7763be91b3a96604b377133a3b0326&oe=5ED63BA1

I got two Fortycoats annuals for Christmas one year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

branie2 wrote: »
    I got two Fortycoats annuals for Christmas one year

Well lad de da, Mr Frenchman. Some of us had to make do with Siamsa and Spraoi.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That little guy in the black waistcoat always creeped me out.

• Advertisement

Ryanair started in the 80s all well.

Advertisement