Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

We will get there, we will get there, we will get there, we will get there, we will get there, we will get there.

What does 'getting there' actually look like? - 0, 10 ,20 ,30 ,40 cases per day consistently over a course of the few weeks?

What do you they actually want to be achieved at this stage? the curve has been flattened. Why are they moving away from the original idea of the lockdown?

https://twitter.com/SimonHarrisTD/status/1264589830350127104

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭snowcat

MadYaker wrote: »
    None of those countries have ended their lockdowns though?

Some never had a lockdown. Switwerland Sweden and Portugal only had a partial one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭hopalongcass

Lyle wrote: »
    I'm taking the info for my "wild conjecture" from The Lancet in March and the Annals of Internal Medicine from early May.

"There were 181 confirmed cases with identifiable exposure and symptom onset windows to estimate the incubation period of COVID-19. The median incubation period was estimated to be 5.1 days (95% CI, 4.5 to 5.8 days), and 97.5% of those who develop symptoms will do so within 11.5 days (CI, 8.2 to 15.6 days) of infection. These estimates imply that, under conservative assumptions, 101 out of every 10 000 cases (99th percentile, 482) will develop symptoms after 14 days of active monitoring or quarantine."

This data is echoed by the WHO, ECDC, CDC, HPSC, etc etc. I'm inclined to go with the elite level scientists behind these studies, and these bodies and agencies, and will continue to base my opinions on academic, peer-reviewed research ahead of some random langer who still thinks this is a bad flu.

Unless you can cite me a paper from the last fortnight that debunks these prior papers? In which case I'll rescind my previous post and will adapt my thoughts based on that new info. Cheers.

I have no doubt you got that information somewhere,i think the WHO is long past being somewhere reputable to cite,as this farce rolls on and none of the 3rd world nations have been overrun.

Sad state of modern society nobody can think for themselves,you need a peer reviewed study to say its safe before you are gonna cross the road outside your house.

Cop on to yourself,you and ur ilk are dwindling by the day as the economy is falling off a cliff.I watched my elderly relations lives go to hell in the last few months,previously healthy active elderly people with nowhere to go or nothing to do,and its really starting to affect their health now at this point and it might be passing the point of no return,you people make me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Stark

biggebruv wrote: »
    Is it true the virus is disappearing just read something I sky news about it’s fading away faster than they’d like because they want to make a vaccine

Yes they don't have enough people getting infected in the community to test if it works or not and it's unethical to deliberately infect someone in order to test it.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

MadYaker wrote: »
    None of those countries have ended their lockdowns though?

Ending lockdown isn’t an option.

But not taking multiple weeks/months longer than our European counterparts in easing those restrictions many of whom were far worse affected than us certainly is.

Especially when you see the reported numbers, even when the numbers were 100 plus there was only a small percentage recently that were community transmission, how many if the 57 today are community.

Or at least tell us what the reasoning is behind it because “let’s just see what happens with them” isn’t a reason, it’s an excuse and a particularly pathetic one. We were told we needed to flatten the curve yet it looks now like we are looking at total eradication before we move on yet this hasn’t been communicated as our plan, is it?

Leaders lead, not follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,126 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Lyle wrote: »
    I'm taking the info for my "wild conjecture" from The Lancet in March and the Annals of Internal Medicine from early May.

"There were 181 confirmed cases with identifiable exposure and symptom onset windows to estimate the incubation period of COVID-19. The median incubation period was estimated to be 5.1 days (95% CI, 4.5 to 5.8 days), and 97.5% of those who develop symptoms will do so within 11.5 days (CI, 8.2 to 15.6 days) of infection. These estimates imply that, under conservative assumptions, 101 out of every 10 000 cases (99th percentile, 482) will develop symptoms after 14 days of active monitoring or quarantine."

This data is echoed by the WHO, ECDC, CDC, HPSC, etc etc. I'm inclined to go with the elite level scientists behind these studies, and these bodies and agencies, and will continue to base my opinions on academic, peer-reviewed research ahead of some random langer who still thinks this is a bad flu.

Unless you can cite me a paper from the last fortnight that debunks these prior papers? In which case I'll rescind my previous post and will adapt my thoughts based on that new info. Cheers.

Eh that says that of those who develop symptoms, 97% do so within 11 days. Its does not match up to what you claimed it said which is "97% of people are symptomatic by day 11".

There is still a good proportion of people, over 50% of total infections by some estimates, who never show symptoms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

snowcat wrote: »
    Ok. Google might help. But look at Austria Switz Germany Netherlands Spain France Sweden Czech Uk Italy Norway Denmark I could go on

The misery merchants were positively salivating when post lockdown easing the German cases went up a bit and there was a brief spike in South Korea.

To my knowledge no country has postponed or pushed back a lockdown phase (bar I believe Singapore in the very early stage, and a city state isn't really comparable to a country), which is a very optimistic thing.

RobitTV wrote: »
    We will get there, we will get there, we will get there, we will get there, we will get there, we will get there.

What does 'getting there' actually look like? - 0, 10 ,20 ,30 ,40 cases per day consistently over a course of the few weeks?

What do you they actually want to be achieved at this stage? the curve has been flattened. Why are they moving away from the original idea of the lockdown?

Indeed. Harris needs to tell us where the daily 50- 80 cases are occuring.

If 90 percent of them are happening in institutions, we are "there" already" to be honest.

I'll still keep my distance from lads in work but it would be nice to know if there really is a 1 in 15,000 chance I'm standing within a few ft of a carrier or whether there is more of it still out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Have the dream team considered banning sex? Less people born = less people to die. Life is too high risk. I wonder do these w@nkers wrap themselves in cotton wool when they get home?

I wonder has varadkar asked kylie for advice on the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

snowcat wrote: »
    Why is that obviously global? Those figures sound about right. About 50k cancers id guess a year in Ireland, A terrible disease and way worse than covid with a higher mortatity rate. Will we shut the economy for it and give patients unlimited medical bills covered by the state. Id be hopeful but id like to see Simons take on it

One every 3 minutes, 10 every 30 minutes, 20 every hour. That’s 480 a day that’s over 3 times your guesstimate. Obviously not specific to Ireland and on reflection obviously not global either.

• Advertisement

Another plus to re opening the economy is the tests are now 2 days to return a result starting from the point a patient contacts their doctor. I think it was over 5 only a week or two ago.

Mass testing, quick turnaround, get the show on the road. Might be a good idea to test every construction worker if we have the capacity for 100k a week and two day turnarounds, could effectively wipe it out in the sector, assuming it is there at all. Mass test every returning sector and rule them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I wish one radio station didnt mention this bull**** at all, I reckon listenership would soar...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭gipi

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I wish one radio station didnt mention this bull**** at all, I reckon listenership would soar...

If you're in the Dublin area, try PirateFM, 88.1. They don't have DJs for the most part and don't do news bulletins. Just a wide range of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I see this thread has been taken over entirely by the shrill panic merchants. The restrictions hopefully will be forwarded given the figures. Hang tough troops

I agree: The shrill panic merchants who say we're 100% going to have thousands of suicides and thousands more deaths from untreated cancers and a total economic collapse on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

I have no doubt you got that information somewhere,i think the WHO is long past being somewhere reputable to cite,as this farce rolls on and none of the 3rd world nations have been overrun.

Do you have similar issues with the HPSC? CDC? ECDC? A litany of medical journals? Have all of those lost reputability? Does the fact that the WHO endorses or acknowledges a study immediately ruin its reputability?

I got the info quoted from the Annals of Internal Medicine - https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-0504

Sad state of modern society nobody can think for themselves,you need a peer reviewed study to say its safe before you are gonna cross the road outside your house.

Cop on to yourself,you and ur ilk are dwindling by the day as the economy is falling off a cliff.I watched my elderly relations lives go to hell in the last few months,previously healthy active elderly people with nowhere to go or nothing to do,and its really starting to affect their health now at this point and it might be passing the point of no return,you people make me sick.

Hahahahahahaaaa. You sound absolutely tapped in the head, you might wanna go take a Xanax or an overdose of barbiturates or something and calm yourself down if you get in such a tizzy from a personally fabricated angular reading of another person's opinion.

Where did I even say remotely anything close to what you claim? I go out every day, as much as I can. Went for a long stroll earlier, had a swim this morning. I never said anything about not going out. You'd wanna project your hyper-agitated lunacy in a different direction, I haven't talked about my opinion of the lockdown or the behaviour of people therein, I offered an opinion based on the scientific understanding of the incubation period of the virus as it potentially relates to the lifting of restrictions and the relationship to the level of daily cases, that was it.

Of course I can think for myself, but I'm not an epidemiologist or a virologist, nor do I have access to large pools of data from which to conduct studies on the incubation period of a novel virus that has appeared in the human population for the first time ever in the last few months. Therefore the best possible understanding on such a topic can be gained from reading the analysis of experts on those matters.

Who are "my ilk"?

I'm sorry about your elderly relations lives going to hell. That is 100% genuine. This is hardest on them. One of mine died in a nursing home, the other two are also in homes and high risk. I understand the pain.

I'm sorry you're so fragile that you invented a narrative that made yourself sick. You just made me sad, but you also made me laugh so I guess it balances out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

People are really starting to turn on him, now in fairness its twitter but to see such a huge majority turning on him is encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

This video shows how hysterical some people have become. Queen curtain twitcher.

https://twitter.com/JoshManMode/status/1263637559873277955

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

niallo27 wrote: »
    People are really starting to turn on him, now in fairness its twitter but to see such a huge majority turning on him is encouraging.

He lost me with his “ Dont loose the run of yourselves “
    Jesus ,,9 weeks in lockdown , doing exactly what was asked of us . Not seeing grandchildren for weeks on end , standing in queues for milk , having my hair cut by my husband , having a walk on the same road for 6 weeks , not seeing family or friends .Crying on whatsapp with my granddaughter because she was lonely
    And he comes out with a patronising “ dont loose the run of yourselves “
    Christ on a bike

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Jesus ,,9 weeks in lockdown , doing exactly what was asked of us . Not seeing grandchildren for weeks on end , standing in queues for milk , having my hair cut by my husband , having a walk on the same road for 6 weeks , not seeing family or friends .
    Christ on a bike

Harris doesn't strike me as a pubgoer. He has never held a real job. I'd imagine his friends are his fellow TD's so he hasn't been cut off from them either.

He isn't doing lockdown like the rest of us are.

Let's not forget only a month ago this idiot made an off the cuff remark that he couldn't see pubs re opening before a vaccine is found. The shock that caused both to the industry and to us pubgoers, from the minister of ****ing health, when you weigh it up with several countries have started controlled re opening of slimmed down bars, it is staggering alarmism and negligence he displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

https://twitter.com/bernardflynn15/status/1264641233290477574?s=20

Good to see Harris getting a lashing out of it below his tweet.

Some absolute f**kwits replying to this tweet whining about distancing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I am happy you said that last sentence. Usual posters here would just say "mass graves in Brazil" as if tens of millions are dying.

Unfortunately BBC article chooses to show 2 men in white astronaut suits carrying a coffin. Desperate scare mongering when death rates in Brazil are 0.008% of population and as is road crashes account for more deaths there than covid. All of this is very unfortunate, but with 200 million population its naive to expect no to little deaths.

Yeh, Brazil has insanely high number of road traffic deaths, almost 50,000 last year, out of 1.26 million deaths in Brazil annually. It's not really an impressive or great achievement that the covid deaths are below it, in fact it's a bizarre comparison to make considering how astonishingly high it is. 22,600 covid deaths in addition to thousands of unreported is extremely high number of deaths in Brazil in 6 weeks even when taking into consideration the country size

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Jesus ,,9 weeks in lockdown , doing exactly what was asked of us . Not seeing grandchildren for weeks on end , standing in queues for milk , having my hair cut by my husband , having a walk on the same road for 6 weeks , not seeing family or friends .Crying on whatsapp with my granddaughter because she was lonely
    Christ on a bike

No offence to anyone but Harris is definitely on the spectrum somewhere.
    He’s odd as fcuk, the ****e he comes out isn’t normal, it’s kind of stuff I’d expect from someone that lived alone with a nanny in some country estate in Victorian times. Oddly his background isn’t remotely like this

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

They still have substantially less deaths than the UK with about 3 times the population.

The lockdown enthusiasts were posting videos from Ecuador a couple weeks ago sadly for them it failed to materialise,there is no pandemic we have not seen any country hit numbers that are much worse than a seasonal flu.Italy has tapered off as has Spain.How can there be a pandemic without numbers higher than an average flu.

People have really lost the plot with this one,surely with a pandemic one country out of the whole world using all different kinds of measures would have to have become overrun by now 6 months into it,but it hasn't happened.
    And, just giving than sense of proportion, if the estimates that Ireland could effect "up to" 80,000 deaths was valid, then Brazil should be looking at "up to" 4 million deaths.

Its like a grand delusion on a global scale. When the dust settles their needs to be a deep inquiry into how the world went so bonkers, and why we're so slow to wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

This video shows how hysterical some people have become. Queen curtain twitcher.

https://twitter.com/JoshManMode/status/1263637559873277955

that video is from last year, what's your point?

edit: the stairs aren't even there any more....

https://twitter.com/heady_wook/status/1263904877115133952

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Supposedly from today,if it is or not I dont know. And until it can be confirmed it's from this weekend I'll take it with a pinch of salt but it really wouldn't look good if it is.
    https://twitter.com/jordan3collins/status/1264670466863661064?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

py2006 wrote: »
    You can go 5km, and you can very easily do 40km while staying within that radius of your home.

How do you know you haven't passed it on to somebody? How do you know you won't get it from somebody?

Na mate i will cycle a lovely scenic route where i will enjoy the beautiful countryside that we have. I won't get depressed off my face whilst waiting for this nonsense fade out. I will be out again Monday for another cycle and i am certainly looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Surely couldn't be true, don't think he'd take that risk in such a public place knowing how bad it would look

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

How tall is Leo? hard to judge but they *could* be standing 2 metres apart...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Surely couldn't be true, don't think he'd take that risk in such a public place knowing how bad it would look

No idea, just got sent it myself and in the replies to one of the tweets theres this(picture attached).

Can't find the same video having been posted online before today. Like I said its appearnelty from today, if it is or not I dont know. And until it can be confirmed it's from this weekend I'll take it with a pinch of salt but it really wouldn't look good if it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

bb1234567 wrote: »
    The date is crucial. Could be a year old.

So his only offence might be going topless with mates. An image I'm trying to forget, frankly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement