Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Chill insurance never seem to make good adverts. Even before they got her to be involved.

Of all the Irish based/branded insurance companies they make the best ads!

Insure my van/car . Ie
    Its 4 women. ie

Okay perhaps An Post does a slightly better job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

The "we're in this together" RTE Sport sh1te ad and yer one's voice. There is no sport on ffs, talking nonsense about nothing with a catchphrase. And Marty seems to be on every 5 mins in his shed or dressed up as something thinking everyone thinks it's hilarious:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 u1navxomlkrjq7

Marty and the word hilarious should never appear in the same sentence unless of course the sentence is, Marty is not hillarious

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Every we are in it together, never been closer apart ****e ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

SNNUS wrote: »

We could get a drinking game out of Covid catchphrases at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

We would be hammered just watching a few ad breaks!

is there one of these threads for Radio ads?

Because I just have to get this off my chest: The AA ad.
    its the way she says it - the A.A. ..... like there's a big gap between the As. Ring the A. A................from the A.A.

Its just wrong. You say AA like one big long A.

(does anyone know what I'm talking about or am I losing my mind?)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

its the way she says it - the A.A. ..... like there's a big gap between the As. Ring the A. A................from the A.A.

Yes

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058041005/11/#post113513792

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Ya I started that with the phrase ‘these are unprecedented times’.
    I haven’t been sober in weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Theonly way

The absence of "Guinness" adds is strange or maybe they know that its not a popular drink at home . ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Acosta

The difference between radio and tv ads is that nearly all radio ads are awful. Ireland is clearly full of absolutely brutal voice over actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Heard an ad for something called Merchants Quay, is it an addiction centre in Dublin or something? Anyway, the guy on the ad has one of those awful accents where he softens the consonants, like “hard word” comes out sounding like “hardj wordj” (or “woordj” because he’s from Dublin). It’s real nails-on-blackboard (blackboardj) stuff, aaarrgh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The absence of "Guinness" adds is strange or maybe they know that its not a popular drink at home . ???

Draught stout production has to have taken a serious hit.
    I don't know anyone other than auld fellas who like bottled Guinness and literally no-one who'd drink the stuff from a can.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Acosta wrote: »
    The difference between radio and tv ads is that nearly all radio ads are awful. Ireland is clearly full of absolutely brutal voice over actors.

It's where British voice actors get relegated to.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

maybe they know that its not a popular drink at home . ???
    It obviously is, just look at the large presence in supermarkets, of course it is selling, you see it mentioned frequently in bargain alerts.

It is less popular in hotter weather too, I am not sure if the ads traditionally reduce at this time.

As people cannot go to pubs you would think they would advertise it more, but the conspiracy theorist in me might be thinking they do not really want seasoned pub pint drinkers drinking it at home. I believe they have deliberately sabotaged themselves by not making it easy to have a decent pint at home. If the 500ml can is poured in a suitably sized glass you get a lovely pint, thick creamy head with a domed top higher than the lip. Pour it in an actual 568ml pint glass and it is crap. (it can be done by adding some from another can to the glass first, but a pain to have to do it)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Dickie10

the vodafone broadband ad with the child on to his grandfather about monsters under his bed. why would a child of around 4 have access to a tablet in there bedroom at night , i thought viewing ipads, phones late at night is very bad for sleep pattern ? what parents would let a child of this age accesss to a tablet anyway without them there? plus do young children still be into dinosours and stuff like that? i really never got the dinosaour thing, what relevance in history has it? i know jurrassic park was where kids got fascinated and barney maybe but they get an awful lot of exposure as an entity for something that didnt really leave any marked impression in the world around us. like knights and medival castles i would see the logic. i am nearly inclined to think its an agenda to push science stuff on kids , like everything sciencey and tech is all positive. planets and solar system and dinosaur stuff very rarely is touched upon in any school curricullum so its feck all use to know about

Dickie10 wrote: »
    the vodafone broadband ad with the child on to his grandfather about monsters under his bed. why would a child of around 4 have access to a tablet in there bedroom at night , i thought viewing ipads, phones late at night is very bad for sleep pattern ? what parents would let a child of this age accesss to a tablet anyway without them there? plus do young children still be into dinosours and stuff like that? i really never got the dinosaour thing, what relevance in history has it? i know jurrassic park was where kids got fascinated and barney maybe but they get an awful lot of exposure as an entity for something that didnt really leave any marked impression in the world around us. like knights and medival castles i would see the logic. i am nearly inclined to think its an agenda to push science stuff on kids , like everything sciencey and tech is all positive. planets and solar system and dinosaur stuff very rarely is touched upon in any school curricullum so its feck all use to know about

Gee, what could be fascinating to children about giant creatures with large teeth?

My nephew had a fierce fascination with them. Not so much now but from age Two and a half to aged five he absolutely loved dinosaurs. He's six now. And he was never into Barney unlike his older sisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Archeron

Supervalu, because yes indeed, all around my estate, every family is out dancing with hula hoops, doing yoga, playing guitars, synchronized garden dancing at a social distance, sure once we buy our groceries in supervalu we're just filled with the joy of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Acosta wrote: »

Generally speaking, there's a handful of Irish voice actors. I think Morgan C. Jones does most Irish radio adverts. You can nearly always pin-point his voice. (And leave him on the radio-any time I've seen him in a Tv show, he's horrendous).

But yeah, radio adverts are probably going to be more annoying because of everything going on.
    Draught stout production has to have taken a serious hit.
    I don't know anyone other than auld fellas who like bottled Guinness and literally no-one who'd drink the stuff from a can.

When I was a child, my parents would often give me Guinness after having a headcold or a flu. They'd drink it themselves if they were coming out of a prolonged illness too (same as me, flu's or headcolds). Used to give guinness to people after they donated blood, too.

I drink it every now and then if I'm out in the pub. But it's heavy drinking. You don't drink too much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

Anyone else feel bad for the aul fella in the Cadburys ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Does he throw a sliotar back over the wall at some stage, yet the ad seems to be set in England. What gives?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Tim76 wrote: »
    Does he throw a sliotar back over the wall at some stage, yet the ad seems to be set in England. What gives?

Piece of plastic, paper airplane and their ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Its been a while since I've seen those 2 utter clampits throw their Maltesers off the table on their break. This makes me happy.

SNNUS wrote: »

"Now more than ever", another trite phrase that has been flogged to death.

Really sick of all the ads showing people's houses working from home, cooking, kids playing music etc. Seen one seen them all.

Don't worry Paddy is too thick to see through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Dickie10

sure what would be wrong with that? could be London, how do London have a GAA team if kids are not hurling in their back garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

razorblunt wrote: »
    Piece of plastic, paper airplane and their ball.

Think the TV version might be slightly different to the YouTube one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

They sell Irish sporting equipment, as well as American sporting gear in England

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

He remembers the old pre-Kraft takeover taste too well. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The cadbury ad
    I reckon it's the final insult as he's diabetic.

Advertisement