Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Paul McGinley made comments about McIlroy and the need to be single minded and worrying about your own game. I dont see the need to come out and make comments that dont really concern you. Every players personal circumstances are different. He will have to play in a Ryder cup with Fleetwood, Molinari, Garcia etc. Its not that simple to just uproot a family, go into quarantine for 2 weeks, hire a private jet and get a pad in a gated community in Florida. To even suggest that is just plain stupid and detached from any semblance of reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Joe Columbo

Molinari and Fleetwood have children and also they don't live in the USA so I imagine it's a little more of a difficult decision to make for them as I imagine as do they really want to quarantine themselves and be away from their families for such a long period of time.

McIlroy doesn't help himself at times, particularly when he never has the balls to stick to his guns and will invariably retract his comments in a few days time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

If Rory was more focused, he wouldn't give a crap about stuff other players mouth, and he might have a couple more majors to show for himself at this stage.

On the rankings, the lads do have a point. When only a limited group can play for them at the moment, it favours those already in, to secure their positions. Sure Moli and Co could go. That's not the point. What about the hundreds who can't even if they wanted to because their already in the lower rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

All of the PGA tour players have been tested multiple times for the last 2 weeks and nobody has tested positive, so clearly they're managing to make the process virtually risk-free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banner fights back

Rory in joint last now after 9 holes in the first round of the RBC Heritage. 3 bogeys and 6 pars so far. 7 over for his last 27 holes of competitive golf for Rory.

• Advertisement

There is one thing where Rory is out on his own in the records. No other, great, multi major winning golfer, and he is great, has ever play as badly, and as many bad rounds, in his peak years, as McIlroy. Especially when he needs a bad round least. Its the most remarkable thing about the lad and his golfing career. No one comes near to him on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I for one am shocked that Rory has said something a bit daft and hypocritical of a previous position he's taken.

It's not like he's got form for speaking out of both sides of his mouth or his ar$e.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

There is one thing where Rory is out on his own in the records. No other, great, multi major winning golfer, and he is great, has ever play as badly, and as many bad rounds, in his peak years, as McIlroy. Especially when he needs a bad round least. Its the most remarkable thing about the lad and his golfing career. No one comes near to him on that.

Nonsense comment . In the past couple of years , in term s of stats he has played the best golf of any player in about 15 years , since Tiger went on his major winning streak . You don’t think the likes of Seve or Mickelson for example , were prone to throwing in their share of stinkers back in their heyday

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Molinari and Fleetwood have children and also they don't live in the USA so I imagine it's a little more of a difficult decision to make for them as I imagine as do they really want to quarantine themselves and be away from their families for such a long period of time.

McIlroy doesn't help himself at times, particularly when he never has the balls to stick to his guns and will invariably retract his comments in a few days time.

Were they not alone with their families for the last 3 months straight? It's not like the last 3 months were regular season and the players have been travelling a lot anyway and then asked to quarantine away from their families.

Could a player of Fleetwoods stature end up losing his PGA Tour card due to not participating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banner fights back

neddynasty wrote: »
    Were they not alone with their families for the last 3 months straight? It's not like the last 3 months were regular season and the players have been travelling a lot anyway and then asked to quarantine away from their families.

Could a player of Fleetwoods stature end up losing his PGA Tour card due to not participating?

Re Fleetwood losing his PGA Tour card, the old rules stated that if any full PGA Tour member played less than the minimum 15 events, without an genuine excuse eg major medical exemption, the player in question would than relinquish his full PGA Tour membership status and could only play a maximum of 10 events per season.

I think Martin Kaymer was in that same boat in 2014 but won the Players Championship and the US Open that year and thus got his PGA Tour status back.

IMO I think that PGA Tour authorities will react with leniency to the likes of Fleetwood and Molinari. They may have to play a new tournament that they haven't played for a while to satisfy the PGA Tour administrators, but if I were both men, I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep especially with no competitive golf in Europe. They'll be fine, no fears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,042 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

rooney30 wrote: »
    Nonsense comment . In the past couple of years , in term s of stats he has played the best golf of any player in about 15 years , since Tiger went on his major winning streak . You don’t think the likes of Seve or Mickelson for example , were prone to throwing in their share of stinkers back in their heyday

So you put Rory in the same bracket as Seve & Mickelson, rather than say Woods or Nicklaus?

Rory
    Events Played
    Cuts Made

Tiger
    Events Played
    Cuts Made

Phil
    Events Played
    Cuts Made

Jack
    Events Played
    Cuts Made

GreeBo wrote: »
    So you put Rory in the same bracket as Seve & Mickelson

Those two might be a gee hair ahead of him, but for sure he is in or around that bracket. Singh, Floyd, Harrington, Els range. Koepka will probably move up to the league above that. I wouldnt run him down because of the rate of blowouts and missed cuts in the majors. It makes him odd thats all, for a guy of his talent. But it doesnt take from what he has won.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,042 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Those two might be a gee hair ahead of him, but for sure he is in or around that bracket. Singh, Floyd, Harrington, Els range. Koepka will probably move up to the league above that. I wouldnt run him down because of the rate of blowouts and missed cuts in the majors. It makes him odd thats all, for a guy of his talent. But it doesnt take from what he has won.

I think others (on here) would have him far ahead of those two and put him up with Tiger & Nicklaus....

At his best he is best in the world, just like many others, however at his worst he is far below the worst of the other greats.

Losses dont at all take away from anything he has won, but IMO you cant ignore them when talking about someone is. If you only care about someone at their best, then Jim Furyk wins every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pauleggs

Don’t think there is anyone around here that would have him in the Woods /Nicklaus category to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

"Gee hair" Female pubes matter, Rory struggling.

pauleggs wrote: »
    Don’t think there is anyone around here that would have him in the Woods /Nicklaus category to be fair

You couldnt at all really so think the other poster has that impression wrong. McIlroy isnt even in the Palmer, Watson, Faldo level. But he does shape sometimes that he is, and certainly has the fundamental game. Most of the thing holding him back from reaching their level is his mental approach. He certainly is brittle. And that the main thing for his tendency to blow out early in a major, or to squeek through the cut and then shoot some lovely 65 when the pressure is off and get a respectable top 20 finish despite not being a factor. The other thing is his wedge play. They all say it. And like his putting, while he can get it hot now and again, it just doesnt have steadyness of others of his level, or the level you think he should be at. Make him entertaining though - he's like a box of chocolates.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

So you put Rory in the same bracket as Seve & Mickelson, rather than say Woods or Nicklaus?

Rory
    Events Played
    Cuts Made

Tiger
    Events Played
    Cuts Made

Phil
    Events Played
    Cuts Made

Jack
    Events Played
    Cuts Made

Not sure what point you’re making here?

McIlroy has made 87% of cuts to Nicklaus’ 84% and Tiger’s 90%. So he is up with Woods and Nicklaus in terms of consistency?

Rory
    Events Played
    Cuts Made

Tiger
    Events Played
    Cuts Made

Phil
    Events Played
    Cuts Made

Jack
    Events Played
    Cuts Made

McIlroy has made 87% of cuts to Nicklaus’ 84% and Tiger’s 90%. So he is up with Woods and Nicklaus in terms of consistency?

fullstop wrote: »

I think the point is that overall it looks like he should be in that group. But he more or less misses a major cut a year. So does worse in them than overall. Wheras Nicklous, Palmer, Watson, Faldo, Woods, almost didnt through their peak years. So they upped their game for them. McIlory almost has to win from 3/4 of the majors the rest of the greats play. As I say, hes an odd one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Good bounce back today gives him an outside chance going into the weekend.

Tough track, really need good course management to get around.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

Dav010 wrote: »

Wouldn’t say he has given it a second thought. 3 under for his round so far today , His encounter with Watney doesn’t seem to have affected him much

• Registered Users Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

A -5 to leave him at -10 overall. Too far back for a win with a congested leaderboard, but back to back good rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Very good scoring yesterday, good round form Rory yesterday gives him an outside chance I think. Needs a 60 or 61 though to win I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

An early 63 would make things interesting.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

An early 63 would make things interesting.

an early double bogey on a Par 3 has probably put pay to that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

No Sunday move from Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

A standard Sunday tumble for rory

McIlroy shoots 65 on Sunday to get in the top 5 - “standard backdoor finish from McIlroy when the pressure is off”

McIlroy shoots 72 on Sunday when already out of the tournament - “standard Sunday collapse from McIlroy”

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

fullstop wrote: »
    McIlroy shoots 65 on Sunday to get in the top 5 - “standard backdoor finish from McIlroy when the pressure is off”

McIlroy shoots 72 on Sunday when already out of the tournament - “standard Sunday collapse from McIlroy”

:rolleyes:

I pick option A as the usual from Rory, today is unlike him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement