Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Open rural pubs first and there'll be flocks down to them, that's a terrible idea.

Depends how you do it - you could start with places very far from urban areas.

I don’t really think you’ll have people rushing from Cork to Caherdaniel or Dublin to Drumahair. If they were that keen on a pint they’re going to go to a pub/restaurant and plenty are also going to just stay at home.

At this stage it’s been six months. I think the hype of going to the pub has really worn off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I'm confused.....

You think this is the correct course but it's too risk averse?

Cake and eat it type thing?

No. I agree with what she did. And I agree with her givt continuing to be risk averse. It is just that I don't think we as a nation could have been carried along to cooperate with the kind of measures NZ take.

But they are a funny old place. I have a sibling there. It is notable how strong is an undercurrent of survivalist, NZ is a last hold out against the world in flames type of vibe. And in this case they may be right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I don't 'disinfect' it but I wipe down the regularly touched surfaces after every journey

You are, without question, a highly exceptional case.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Depends how you do it - you could start with places very far from urban areas.

I don’t really think you’ll have people rushing from Cork to Caherdaniel or Dublin to Drumahair. If they were that keen on a pint they’re going to go to a pub/restaurant and plenty are also going to just stay at home.

you d be surprised what addicts would do to get their fix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Yanks is a red herring.

Was talking to Brother last night, lives in a small town in a border county. Local family just back from Spain, supposed to "restricting their movements"and the father is driving a taxi.

This is exactly why NZ is 100 days virus free and we wait daily to hear where is the next viral wild fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Wanderer78 wrote: »

You'll find people addicted to alcohol will be happy out with their offo.

I'd be worried about groups booking airbnbs for the sake of the open pubs in vicinity. Making weekends of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Fully agree. People seem to think these flights are full of American tourists and that just isn't the case.

Yes theres probably been some but the portrayal of packed flights was never realistic.

In saying that we should have gone with the same travel lists as the rest of the EU from the outset.

That's 57000 from non green list countries in last 2 weeks. Stop minimising please. It's dangerous?

The chances of none of those people having it are very low.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/100000-passengers-have-flown-into-irish-airports-39430158.html

Over 100,000 passengers have flown into Ireland over the last fortnight, including nearly 15,000 from the Green List countries and nearly 28,000 from the UK.

They can easily open a few cans or bottles in the back garden as it is. I think at this stage the pub obsessed culture has probably changed.

A lot of people would be very wary of being in a packed pub. I can’t really see that re-emerging for a long time. It’s certainly going to be after we’re sure the pandemic is over.

It’s been a far more continental style approach to drinking since restrictions relaxed and we’re in this mode for 6 months at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

This jurisdiction cannot be compared to New Zealand.

1) New Zealand has no land border.
    2) It does not have a Common Travel Area with another jurisdiction.
    3) Most importantly, they don't have to try to deal with Irish unionists.

You'll find people addicted to alcohol will be happy out with their offo.

I'd be worried about groups booking airbnbs for the sake of the open pubs in vicinity. Making weekends of it.

true, but addicts do also love going to the pub, no matter whats in the way

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

GazzaL wrote: »
    As expected, pro-mask people dismiss the importance of good public hygiene because they think they know better...

No matter how clean the interior of a car is, most people don't disinfect them on a daily basis so even they wash their hands before leaving the house, it makes sense to still use hand sanitiser upon entering a premises.

I'm not dismissing the importance of hand hygiene. I use my own. Just because one user uses their hand sanitizer in their car, it doesn't mean we all do. I use my own bottle of hand sanitizer at the shop entrance. Stop labelling us as dirty pigs because we don't want to touch the dirty sh!te at the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

The comparisons to NZ need to stop. And the zero Covid Ireland group have no idea what their plans would do to this country and its people. They’d all get full pay and a nice pension. What about the rest??
    https://twitter.com/zerocovidisland/status/1292384524811284480?s=21

https://twitter.com/drzerocraic/status/1292390427237261312?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

true, but addicts do also love going to the pub, no matter whats in the way

You have me mad for a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Addicts are paying a euro a can, not a fiver.

You have me mad for a pint

a pint isnt gonna cut it, its hundreds of pints you need, in one sitting!

niallo27 wrote: »
    Addicts are paying a euro a can, not a fiver.

i beg to differ

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

That's 57000 from non green list countries in last 2 weeks. Stop minimising please. It's dangerous?

The chances of none of those people having it are very low.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/100000-passengers-have-flown-into-irish-airports-39430158.html

How am I minimising it ? I said people assumed there was plane fulls of American tourists which the vast majority of the time was not the case.

Do those figures show they are tourists or Irish people returning home ? No they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Gruffalox wrote: »
    This is exactly why NZ is 100 days virus free and we wait daily to hear where is the next viral wild fire.

Its like a sinking ship where the Captain is ordering everyone to muck in and bail out the water, but no has thought to try and patch the holes first.

Unless you moved Ireland a long haul flights distance from the nearest part of continental Europe and relocated the U.K. to say Egypt it’s not comparable to NZ

NZ is 4,163Km from even Australia! That’s significantly further than the distance from Ireland to Newfoundland in Canada, 3269km.

I don’t think people really comprehend just how remote NZ is.

Seems to be alot of people reporting in the last day or two issues with phones draining battery, just heard it there on radio and there's reddit threads reporting the same, alot of people seem to be linking it to the COVID app. I dont recall any updates being pushed out nor is my phone draining battery

• Advertisement

Seems to be alot of people reporting in the last day or two issues with phones draining battery, just heard it there on radio and there's reddit threads reporting the same, alot of people seem to be linking it to the COVID app. I dont recall any updates being pushed out nor is my phone draining battery

maybe we re using our phones more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Tin foil hats brigade I’d assume! A reason to delete the app. Hasn’t drained my battery either and my iPhone is 3 years old!

How am I minimising it ? I said people assumed there was plane fulls of American tourists which the vast majority of the time was not the case.

Do those figures show they are tourists or Irish people returning home ? No they don't.

So the population of Ireland has increase by 57000 in a week due to repatriations?

We won't have enough space for all of the citizens coming back.

The fact is even if it were 57000 Irish citizens returning from red zone countries,

as an Irish adult, do you honestly believe the all observed quarantine?

I know two people who didn't. Economically they are losing if they don't go. They are losing 2 weeks pay if they do observe it. How many families live month to month here. Sh!tloads.

Think we need to get real and realise the cake and eat it / whack a LOK approach isn't going to cut it.

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Tin foil hats brigade I’d assume! A reason to delete the app. Hasn’t drained my battery either and my iPhone is 3 years old!

No nor mine, was just mentioned there on the 11 news on the radio and we've one phone in our house thats got the issue but I don't see how it relates to the app.

Anyway here's the reddit thread for anyone interested
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/i5xkfo/covid_application_eating_battery/?utm_source=xpromo&utm_medium=amp&utm_name=amp_comment_iterations&utm_term=active_search&utm_content=post_body

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Hear, hear.

The earlier version of that article, linky, stated the following:

"A breakdown of arrivals into Ireland of Irish residents returning home or foreign residents visiting Ireland is not available. All statistics are provisional figures provided by the airports and are subject to change."

Also worth noting a comparison with normal times. In July 2019, almost 3.5 million passengers travelled through Dublin Airport. Not a direct comparison but it does show that travellers through the airports are a tiny fraction of normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

My battery dranined really quickly yesterday. The battery mgmt system pointed out the covid app. I haven't had an issue with it before.

Actually, I'm down to 63pc after a full charge overnight.

Is there an app I can get to check power usage in depth?

On Samsung anyway into settings device care battery and battery usage and it'll tell you whats being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Actually, I'm down to 63pc after a full charge overnight.

Is there an app I can get to check power usage in depth?

There's a thread here informing how to fix the issues, it's in Android Devices forum. I don't know how to link it.

Unless you moved Ireland a long haul flights distance from the nearest part of continental Europe and relocated the U.K. to say Egypt it’s not comparable to NZ

NZ is 4,163Km from even Australia! That’s significantly further than the distance from Ireland to Newfoundland in Canada, 3269km.

I think the cost of rolling lockdowns as we are experiencing now is significantly greater than making sure people quarantine.

Germany are imposing 25,000 euro fines on people who break it.

Some countries realise what's involved and some countries are corrupt as ****.

I'd say we are in the latter.

If UK do it we will have to do it anyway. Just like Schengen Agreement, they made that decision.

It's going to cost a **** load more when even one school closes and people sh!t themselves and pull little Johnny out of school.

No amount of "you can't do that" is going to stop people looking after our kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

In fairness wether its 4000km or 40km its still an island, if you don't want planes to land it easy enough just park buses across the runways then it doesn't matter if it long haul or not.

Tasmania is about 400km from Melbourne , but its been Covid free for months.

The only difference is the 6 counties, if there was a unified agreement to be a covid free island it could work. and also the mindset of the ***** Granny Killers wanting to go on holidays.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement