Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

What are peoples worries about their kids going back to school?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Scroll up

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭glack

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Online teaching is not suitable for kids at the younger end of primary school. Kids also need social interaction. School is not all about academics.

Agree completely. But I also think classes of 30 back in the classroom without social distancing (not enough space) or masks (which aren’t appropriate for young children obviously) seems to go against all international advice.

Surely we should be looking at some sort of blended model?

Starting to feel more and more likely that we won’t stay open as normal for long. There needs to be a plan in place or we’ll have the panic closing situation from March all over again!! All the documentation says is that schools should look at online platforms in case of closures. No advice, no guidelines. We’ll be back in a space where some children are being properly supported while others are getting a token list of homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,684 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'm going to have say the once in a generation global pandemic for $50.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

glack wrote: »
    Starting to feel more and more likely that we won’t stay open as normal for long. There needs to be a plan in place or we’ll have the panic closing situation from March all over again!! All the documentation says is that schools should look at online platforms in case of closures. No advice, no guidelines. We’ll be back in a space where some children are being properly supported while others are getting a token list of homework.

This, absolutely this 100%.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    I'm going to have say the once in a generation global pandemic for $50.

And they're afraid their kids will catch it and die?

Which there is no evidence that can happen?

Not one child has died of covid-19 in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Hint : it's highly contagious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

The_Brood wrote: »
    I mean if there's one thing anyone on the planet would have learned about the virus is that social interaction is out the window until a vaccine is developed and most take it. Whatever other debate is being had about travel, lockdowns etc I think that's the one clear thing - people shouldn't gather in large social groups.

So I don't see how anyone would expect schools to be allowed to reopen.

What's clear now is people that are affected by this disease need to shield away and the rest need to get on with it

Less than 100 people with no underlying conditions have died here in 8 months

99.9% of healthy people are going to survive

Vaccines are only 50% effective at best of times, they are not going to save everyone

Teachers that are over 60 or have underlying conditions should be made stay at home and get the Covid payment

Parents of that age with underlying need to keep kids at home as well, perphaps the older teachers can teach them online

We need an yearly NCT for people, needed it for years

You're right. Fortunately in Ireland all of our teaching staff are under the age of five, and the pupils themselves all live alone in bedsits.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So parents should only be concerned about their children's health if there is a realistic possibility the condition in question will actually kill them? So if a child contracts severe eczema, say, the parent should refuse to bring them to the doctor and tell them it's just a bit of an itch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Somebody just woke up at the middle of pandemic, warm welcome :D

gabeeg wrote: »
    You're right. Fortunately in Ireland all of our teaching staff are under the age of five, and the pupils themselves all live alone in bedsits.

Not the question I asked.

I asked why parents are afraid of their kids going back to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

To find your answers read the thread..

Thierry12 wrote: »
    What's clear now is people that are affected by this disease need to shield away and the rest need to get on with it

Vaccines are only 50% effective at best of times, they are not going to save everyone

Thank God it's a binary issue of life and death, and to date not one person has had any prolonged, life-changing severe symptoms.

I think you are about to join the illustrious list of semi-illiterate trolls on this thread who have been embarrassed and ridiculed so much that they gave up, and one even had to close his account. Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,684 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

See your problem is you think real life is a William Golding novel.

Spoiler: It isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'd certainly be hoping that the hysteria-merchants keep their kids out of school - it will allow my kids to get more individual attention in a smaller classroom setting.

I'd certainly be hoping that the hysteria-merchants keep their kids out of school - it will allow my kids to get more individual attention in a smaller classroom setting.

Exactly.

See I can't get a straight answer here without been called a troll, idiot and something about a book.

Fact is there is no threat to kids going back to school who have no underlying conditions.

Mass hysteria and doom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Teachers that are over 60 or have underlying conditions should be made stay at home and get the Covid payment

Parents of that age with underlying need to keep kids at home as well, perphaps the older teachers can teach them online

50% effective, ah here did you do Science at all in school?

The long term, fairly serious side effects of COVID are becoming apparent. 20% of people will have some form of cytokine storm, this is extremely damaging grossly to the systems in your body in general. As the above poster said, it's not a binary....anyone in biological sciences will tell you it rarely is. Any illness that throws clots like this will cause all kinds of long term damage, so far we are aware of personality and major depressive disorder events, kidney damage, strokes in the post viral phase, heart damage, kidney damage......the old reliable post viral fatigue...

Maybe leave it up to the experts to decide how dangerous this is, they are all fairly well I agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭votecounts

The_Brood wrote: »
    What is the entire nation's obsession with getting children physically back into school? Do parents hate their children so much they are desperate to not be around them so much? Or what am I missing? It's obviously not for educational reasons because online technology provides a solution for that.
    Some parents have to go to work, you know to pay the bills, keep a roof over their head and you can't leave a child on their own at home. Government really should have skipped their holidays to sort this out and not leave parents and teachers to take up the flak.

• Advertisement

gabeeg wrote: »
    Thank God it's a binary issue of life and death, and to date not one person has had any prolonged, life-changing severe symptoms.

Odds of healthy younger people getting really sick from Covid is no different than any of the thousands of illnesses we have in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Exactly.

See I can't get a straight answer here without been called a troll, idiot and something about a book.

Fact is there is no threat to kids going back to school who have no underlying conditions.

Mass hysteria and doom.

5 months of incessant fear-mongering from our media will do that to the weak-minded unfortunately.

It's the kids of these parents I feel sorry for, ultimately they will pay the price for the parents inability to think for themselves

50% effective, ah here did you do Science at all in school?

The long term, fairly serious side effects of COVID are becoming apparent. 20% of people will have some form of cytokine storm, this is extremely damaging grossly to the systems in your body in general. As the above poster said, it's not a binary....anyone in biological sciences will tell you it rarely is. Any illness that throws clots like this will cause all kinds of long term damage, so far we are aware of personality and major depressive disorder events, kidney damage, strokes in the post viral phase, heart damage, kidney damage......the old reliable post viral fatigue...

Maybe leave it up to the experts to decide how dangerous this is, they are all fairly well I agreement

Dr Fauci who knows a thing or two, suggests vaccine is going to be 50% effective

Then what do we do

Roll the dice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

That's exactly it. If some parents want to keep their kids back, so be it. Most people will want their children to get an education and this shouldn't be denied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

It’s reasonably simple, bring back half of each class group, wear masks ( second level needs to be a day on a day off or a week on a week off to ensure the students covers their full timetable) this will allow for blended learning, proper social distancing and hopefully we can keep the schools open.
    Otherwise I can’t see us lasting a month, I know in my school there is no way to social distance, the building is just too small with too many students !!

solerina wrote: »
    It’s reasonably simple, bring back half of each class group, wear masks ( second level needs to be a day on a day off or a week on a week off to ensure the students covers their full timetable) this will allow for blended learning, proper social distancing and hopefully we can keep the schools open.
    Otherwise I can’t see us lasting a month, I know in my school there is no way to social distance, the building is just too small with too many students !!

Exactly 3/2 day weekly split and longer days perphaps

Teachers have had plenty of rest they can do a few extra hours a week.

Epidemiologically kids are not isolated from society. If we were running boarding schools nationally and all the teachers were under 40 and they never went home then off you go.,....no problem at all. This is simply not the case. The worrying thing I find is the fact a large percentage of people (thankfully still a minority in Ireland) can't analyse risk in a multifactorial issue and believe that people who have spent their lives studying these illnesses know less than their own personal biased opinions.

I know some of the researchers in this area, they are not suspicious mad scientists, they are normal people with families, parents, immunocompromised loved ones just like all of us. They also want to hug their relatives and go for a pint with their mates.....but they won't because exponential growth viruses what incubate are a serious threat. Look at Kildare, see how quickly it went form nothing to a breakout of hundreds. That's a silent exponential disease at work.

If it was instantly symptomatic, if there weren't asymptomatic carries, if the incubation period was shorter, if it wasn't aerosolized, if it didn't require hospitalisation in almost 20% of cases, if we had more ICU beds....and many other factors weren't true this wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately it is all of these things, each confers a risk, when you have multiple risk factors and illness is simply a danger to society

Have a look at what people said about the first phase of the Spanish flu. Exactly what people are saying here, doesn't kill young people, isn't that bad, it's the government trying to make us stay inside etc.....then it killed 15-50 million people in several successive waves.

Dr Fauci who knows a thing or two, suggests vaccine is going to be 50% effective

Then what do we do

Roll the dice?

Which vaccine? The mRna. The attentuated? Which target protein was he discussing, which methodology? What phase trial is it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Exactly.

Mass hysteria and doom.

Basically the way it is at the moment there is increasing evidence to show that children can catch COvid19 as easily as adults and transmit it as easily as adults. Like adults it is dangerous for just 20% of children but the issue it that children like adults can be asymptomatic spreaders which can endanger the 20%. That 20% includes people who have no underlying conditions as well as those who do. So there is a threat to children without underlying conditions but if they get it they wont be as sick. I have 3 nieces who had it in April 2 teenagers one 5 year old, all were sick with it, none thankfully needed hospitalisation but one was dodgy. Luckily they passed it on to no one else as they were isolating themselves.

The threat is to other students, or families or teachers. It is natural to be worried. It has been announced that masks should be worn by staff. Children may wear them if they wish. I had some students wearing them in March.

To say it is a fact that there is no threat to children in incorrect according to studies you would have seen quoted here over the last few months you have been on the thread.

• Advertisement

You're happy to put them in the care of intelligent, reasonable and educated adults who probably have different ... erm, 'theories' about the pandemic than you do?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement