Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

Lyle wrote: »
    What're the details of the "private testers"?

We'd been told a 15,000 tests per day capacity had been accomplished a good while ago now, and they're doing c.4500 tests a day the past day or two. Did they not have any provisions in place to quickly re-allocate resources to specific locations in the event of outbreaks like this, so now they're paying for private industry to run the tests even though we supposedly have 10,000 tests a day capacity spare above current testing levels?

I don't know the details exactly, but it was widely reported.

Unfortunately we've been misled on testing capacity.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

seanb85 wrote: »
    I don't know the details exactly, but it was widely reported.

Unfortunately we've been misled on testing capacity.

Is it possible the meat plants tested privately hoping there was no issue and then when the scale of the issue became clear they had to come out with their hands up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Boggles wrote: »
    Staff and parents await test results after two cases of Covid-19 in creche

The chances of 2 staff members bringing it into the creche at roughly the same time would be pretty slim, unless there is a swirl of community transmission in Meath.

Few of the kids testing positive too I heard. Think the creche has been more concerned about PR than covid tbh. Also the chronicle did zero journalistic inquiry by the looks of it and just printed a nice calm the masses PR piece for the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

fritzelly wrote: »
    The meat factories were doing private testing

It’s HSE testing, no? We have capacity so why are we privately testing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Longing

I don't even think the HSE had even had a test centre in Kildare before all this kicked off.

Longing wrote: »
    I don't even think the HSE had even a test centre in Kildare before all this kicked off.

Yep, people were referred to the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Nermal

s1ippy wrote: »
    Yeah, incredible that he changed career so rapidly.
    https://www.couchsurfing.com/people/sebrushworth

More incredible still that he had time to create a fake LinkedIn with 47 connections...

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sebastian-rushworth-835ba0180/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

O'Briens engaged a private test company to coordinate with the HSE

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/coronavirus-80-covid-19-cases-18730735.amp

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

Stheno wrote: »
    Is it possible the meat plants tested privately hoping there was no issue and then when the scale of the issue became clear they had to come out with their hands up?

My immediate thought as well. Operating outside of the public health system in a public health emergency, without transparency as to the who and the why of it going on, looks clandestine. Dodgy as f*ck.

If they weren't operating outside the public health system and the HSE or whoever else were involved in co-ordinating with this private enterprise, that's no better. We should be informed loudly and often if there's cracks appearing in our testing systems.

Has anyone heard of private testing in any other instances in any settings at all?

• Advertisement

Longing wrote: »
    I don't even think the HSE had even had a test centre in Kildare before all this kicked off.
    As far as I know mass testing isn't done at a testing centre

My immediate thought as well. Operating outside of the public health system in a public health emergency, without transparency as to the who and the why of it going on, looks clandestine. Dodgy as f*ck.

If they weren't operating outside the public health system and the HSE or whoever else were involved in co-ordinating with this private enterprise, that's no better. We should be informed loudly and often if there's cracks appearing in our testing systems.

Has anyone heard of private testing in any other instances in any settings at all?
    The HSE coordinated all mass testing of nursing homes public and private. It's very very unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Stheno wrote:
    O'Briens engaged a private test company to coordinate with the HSE
    I dont see in that story where they mention a private test company.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought our testing had improved and was quicker, seems to be gone backwards now, disgraceful

Was thinking that as well the 2nd waterford player that was tested on aug 4th results released yesterday. Just seemed a bit long considering.
    Don't they have access to german labs as well? Here they were saying a few weeks back about how great they could do 100,000 tests per week with a 3 day turn around. they didn't even hit the 15,000 per day target as they stated they would, the most the got was 11,504 in a day

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-target-of-15-000-tests-per-day-never-hit-by-irish-labs-1.4297173

"O’Brien Fine Foods said that after two bouts of testing by the HSE and a private provider on Wednesday 5 August and Friday 7 August, the company took several actions: "

https://www.thejournal.ie/obrien-fine-foods-timahoe-factory-5171418-Aug2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

So we're in full on meltdown mode then?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

The HSE coordinated all mass testing of nursing homes public and private. It's very very unusual.

Exactly, they were all immediately subsumed by public health for testing, as you would expect in all scenarios now as we carry on through the epidemic. I just can't see the sense in it outside of the companies involved not wanting to bring the HSA or whoever else down on them by referring employees to public health services for testing.

I hope somebody can get more info somewhere on this. Even if it's not actually anything sinister, it'd be nice to know what's going on. Or it would even be good to know that we have legitimate private backup capacity above the (alleged) 15,000 public capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Looking at the daily graphs, and am wondering if Sweden may be approaching herd immunity?

522558.jpg

522559.jpg
    Tick on the 7 day average for cases. It's ticking upwards the past 2 weeks

Exactly, they were all immediately subsumed by public health for testing, as you would expect in all scenarios now as we carry on through the epidemic. I just can't see the sense in it outside of the companies involved not wanting to bring the HSA or whoever else down on them by referring employees to public health services for testing.

I hope somebody can get more info somewhere on this. Even if it's not actually anything sinister, it'd be nice to know what's going on. Or it would even be good to know that we have legitimate private backup capacity above the (alleged) 15,000 public capacity.
    I can't see any legitimate reason for outsourcing the testing. As far as I know, HSE handle all mass testing, and it is then sent to the NVRL. It doesn't matter if there's a testing centre in place or not.
    I swear the HSE warned before about not getting private tests?

From the article
    We initiated engagement with the Health Service Executive (HSE) and took what we believe was the most responsible decision to test all employees which was coordinated by the HSE and a private provider to expedite testing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Tick on the 7 day average for cases. It's ticking upwards the past 2 weeks

I did do that after I posted (and the post was a question) - still going to be interesting to see if it spikes again, or peters out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I can't see any legitimate reason for outsourcing the testing. As far as I know, HSE handle all mass testing, and it is then sent to the NVRL. It doesn't matter if there's a testing centre in place or not.
    I swear the HSE warned before about not getting private tests?

Maybe an attempt at damage control, trying to keep it hush thinking it would only be a few cases like someone has said. Sounds the most plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

What's the estimate for today does anyone know, I've it at 250-300 cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

There’s usually some idea on this thread as to what numbers might be based in testing, does anyone know today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I can't see any legitimate reason for outsourcing the testing. As far as I know, HSE handle all mass testing, and it is then sent to the NVRL. It doesn't matter if there's a testing centre in place or not. I swear the HSE warned before about not getting private tests?
    The thing about outsourcing testing to private companies is the HSE has no control over the standards of testing they privide or if theyre the same standard of tests currently in use.

Any **** ups or delays will be blamed on the HSE when they can't do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Oranage2 wrote: »

If all cases are reported, and we’re not waiting for private testing results to be added, probably more like 350+

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭political analyst

This article was written by a doctor based at a hospital in Stockholm.

https://sebastianrushworth.com/2020/08/04/how-bad-is-covid-really-a-swedish-doctors-perspective/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
    Covid hit Stockholm like a storm in mid-March. One day I was seeing people with appendicitis and kidney stones, the usual things you see in the emergency room. The next day all those patients were gone and the only thing coming in to the hospital was covid. Practically everyone who was tested had covid, regardless of what the presenting symtom was. People came in with a nose bleed and they had covid. They came in with stomach pain and they had covid.

Then, after a few months, all the covid patients disappeared. It is now four months since the start of the pandemic, and I haven’t seen a single covid patient in over a month. When I do test someone because they have a cough or a fever, the test invariably comes back negative. At the peak three months back, a hundred people were dying a day of covid in Sweden, a country with a population of ten million. We are now down to around five people dying per day in the whole country, and that number continues to drop. Since people generally die around three weeks after infection, that means virtually no-one is getting infected any more.
    In total covid has killed under 6,000 people in a country of ten million. A country with an annual death rate of around 100,000 people. Considering that 70% of those who have died of covid are over 80 years old, quite a few of those 6,000 would have died this year anyway. That makes covid a mere blip in terms of its effect on mortality.

That is why it is nonsensical to compare covid to other major pandemics, like the 1918 pandemic that killed tens of millions of people. Covid will never even come close to those numbers. And yet many countries have shut down their entire economies, stopped children going to school, and made large portions of their population unemployed in order to deal with this disease.

The media have been proclaiming that only a small percentage of the population have antibodies, and therefore it is impossible that herd immunity has developed. Well, if herd immunity hasn’t developed, where are all the sick people? Why has the rate of infection dropped so precipitously? Considering that most people in Sweden are leading their lives normally now, not socially distancing, not wearing masks, there should still be high rates of infection.
    Covid has at present killed less than 6000 in Sweden. It is very unlikely that the number of dead will go above 7,000. An average influenza year in Sweden, 700 people die of influenza. Does that mean covid is ten times worse than influenza? No, because influenza has been around for centuries while covid is completely new. In an average influenza year most people already have some level of immunity because they’ve been infected with a similar strain previously, or because they’re vaccinated. So it is quite possible, in fact likely, that the case fatality rate for covid is the same as for influenza, or only slightly higher, and the entire difference we have seen is due to the complete lack of any immunity in the population at the start of this pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Good ole echo with the suspected cases headline again!! Hardly a case a day in cork over the past 14 days. Then go onto say 27 cases over the month of july that’s 0.87 cases a day!!
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Covid-19-latest-caution-urged-as-cases-rise-in-Cork-3529eaca-6fcf-4073-8bee-733c79c40487-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

schmoo2k wrote: »
    I did do that after I posted (and the post was a question) - still going to be interesting to see if it spikes again, or peters out...
    Glynn was softening us up yesterday to expect high case numbers well into next week. I guess they've run the numbers on this, and they know based on contact numbers and typical infection rates how many cases to expect.
    The important number is still the community transmissions, and while they've been up too, they've still been a small percentage. If they come up to 30% of all new cases, then we have trouble.

The next big issue is non-compliance workplaces. So many people I've heard were working perfectly well from home, but their employer has insisted they must come into work, and have put very little hygiene controls in place.
    "Work from home if at all possible" is still the standing regime and perhaps we need to look at implementing whistleblower process and large fines for employers who are not sticking to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Oranage2 wrote: »

Sunday cases are always low. If they are high today its a very bad sign indeed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement