Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Outside of Rich Beem I'm not gone on any of them. They should bring back Monty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'm a bit surprised Beem hasn't been poached by one of the American networks at this stage, he's as good as anyone on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Nick Dougherty is a brutal commentator. Truly atrocious.

Everyone else on the Sky team is very good imo, including Sarah Stirk.

I quite like Dougherty I must say. Far more capable as a presenter than I thought he'd be, self deprecating and likes to get the dig in (to Coltart in particular)!

He had a hard task to fill Livingstone"s shoes but he does it reasonably well, allbeit in his own way. He"s like the Gary Linekar to Livingstone's Des Lynam.

I quite like Dougherty I must say. Far more capable as a presenter than I thought he'd be, self deprecating and likes to get the dig in (to Coltart in particular)!

He had a hard task to fill Livingstone"s shoes but he does it reasonably well, allbeit in his own way. He"s like the Gary Linekar to Livingstone's Des Lynam.

I like him as a presenter and interviewer, just not as a commentator

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'm a bit surprised Beem hasn't been poached by one of the American networks at this stage, he's as good as anyone on TV

Getting paid a fortune by Sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Nick Dougherty comes in on his day off to apologise if any golfer says a swear word, it could be midnight and there he is apologising to the viewers for a golfer saying sh*it, I don't get it

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Ya Dougherty a good presenter but bad commentator. Too repetitive and a bit of a goody goody.
    Really like radar, and McGinley. Great coverage to be fair. Tough gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Stacksey wrote: »
    Nick Dougherty comes in on his day off to apologise if any golfer says a swear word, it could be midnight and there he is apologising to the viewers for a golfer saying sh*it, I don't get it

This drives me nuts but they must be getting it in the ear from their bosses to do it.

How awkward must it be for Andrew Coltart when the other commentators say Westwood is "in such a happy place in his personal life these days"

Considering Westwood was previously married to Coltart's sister for 20+ years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

How awkward must it be for Andrew Coltart when the other commentators say Westwood is "in such a happy place in his personal life these days"

Considering Westwood was previously married to Coltart's sister for 20+ years!

Yeah :D

To be fair it's clear to see, Westwood is loving life by the look of it and he's a great example for attitude on the course.

In fairness to Coltart he is a real pro and there's no obvious bitterness towards Westwood. I'm not sure how that relationship finished up but I'd hope Coltart and Westwood at least are on decent terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

This drives me nuts but they must be getting it in the ear from their bosses to do it.

Communications regulator forces them to, they would be fined if the let it go unchecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

hurikane wrote: »
    Communications regulator forces them to, they would be fined if the let it go unchecked.

I sometimes watch the coverage on the Golf Channel and there is no apologising for anything that's said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I like him as a presenter and interviewer, just not as a commentator

Much of a muchness surely? He's good at talking about golf on camera. Imo.

Compared to Beem and McGinely, he's epic. Beem like Radar, not so bad on course but poor in the box. Dont know why that is. McGinley cant even say "Very good" without being annoying. Makes way too many mistakes and, just like his apparent predecessor Bruce Critchley, is heavily dependent on Ewen Murray to either deflect or outright clean up after said mistakes.
    Coltart isnt bad. Stirk is fairly reliable.

Much of a muchness surely? He's good at talking about golf on camera. Imo.

Compared to Beem and McGinely, he's epic. Beem like Radar, not so bad on course but poor in the box. Dont know why that is. McGinley cant even say "Very good" without being annoying. Makes way too many mistakes and, just like his apparent predecessor Bruce Critchley, is heavily dependent on Ewen Murray to either deflect or outright clean up after said mistakes.
    Coltart isnt bad. Stirk is fairly reliable.

I think McGinley is terrible. Too much reliance on talking about stats. He's obviously decided that that's his USP but he rarely comes out with anything insightful, which is disappointing for someone with his background and profile in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

I think Dougherty is very good both as a presenter and as a commentator. Very smooth, knowledgeable and witty. Look at most of them though; himself, Beem, and Coltart are all guys who gave up the tour for one reason or the other, probably not having fulfilled their potential in their own eyes at least, and that informs their commentary. Not so sure about when Riley gave it up. You get the impression that Dougherty and Coltart especially have chips on their shoulder about not having succeeded more as players; the banter between them reflects this. McGinley had a much more fulfilling career arguably, has the whole Ryder Cup experience which none of the others have, with the exception of Coltart, who got picked by James and then only played Tiger in the singles. I think there's a respect for McGinley from Dougherty and Coltart, but they wouldn't admit it.

Ya you can really hear the pain golf has given Dougherty a lot. Always sympathizing a lot with any mistakes. Sounds like he's been through the ringer with it. Def a nice fella, but just a bit too nicey nice for me. And so repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Was it me or was their favourite word this weekend "Plethora", they seemed to say it every 5 minutes.

I wonder how Coltart finds it commentating on Westwood when everyone is willing him on?

Dougherty is awful imo and Coltart is terrible too. I much rather the US commentary.

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Ya you can really hear the pain golf has given Dougherty a lot. Always sympathizing a lot with any mistakes. Sounds like he's been through the ringer with it. Def a nice fella, but just a bit too nicey nice for me. And so repetitive.

He was on the Sky sports golf podcast a couple of years back to discuss his career in depth. It was a great listen but very sad. At one stage he was looking at youtube videos trying to find fixes for his swing!

• Advertisement

He was on the Sky sports golf podcast a couple of years back to discuss his career in depth. It was a great listen but very sad. At one stage he was looking at youtube videos trying to find fixes for his swing!

Cheers, will give it a listen. His wiki was interesting. According to wiki, the year he lost his card he played 32 events and missed 31 cuts. Ouch. He has 3 wins in fairness. Shot a 63 in one event.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Trampas

Mc ginley comparing 18 hole match play to a 10 metre sprint in athletics.

If that was case if you went behind you’d never have a chance to get back into it.

Trampas wrote:
    If that was case if you went behind you’d never have a chance to get back into it.
    Remember Usain Bolt?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Remember Usain Bolt?

I do and I don’t remember him overtaking someone within the first 10 metres if he had a bad start

Trampas wrote:
    I do and I don’t remember him overtaking someone within the first 10 metres if he had a bad start
    He always had a bad start. He'd still come back and win.

eagle eye wrote: »
    He always had a bad start. He'd still come back and win.

Still doesn’t takeaway it was a stupid comment from Mc ginley

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

I listened to that last week. Very good honest insight into what life as a pro is like, and how hard it is to succeed. Came across as a very likeable guy; and different to the laddish persona he might have on Sky Sports.

Trampas wrote: »
    Still doesn’t takeaway it was a stupid comment from Mc ginley

McGinley always tries to use clichés/hyperbole to sound like some sort of an intuitive guru.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Gotta laugh at sky constantly making fun of the behaviour of Hatton like it’s hilarious. An utterly disgraceful player week in week out on tour.

If it was Bryson they would be slaughtering him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

When Spieth hit his tee shot on 18 into the crowd on the left, he clearly shouted fore! A couple of people shouted fore. When Mcginley and coltart had eventually finished talking out of their own holes they said :: "And worst of all, I never heard a fore shout. bad form....." "no, neither did i".

Advertisement