Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comreg Siteviewer accurate?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

ED E wrote: »
    (Silly question)

Your CPE is using the external antenna yeah? Its not set to internal this whole time is it? Some have a toggle.
    was discussed in #16~#17 - no definitive answer ... locked/hidden by original ISP firmware perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

was discussed in #16~#17 - no definitive answer ... locked/hidden by original ISP firmware perhaps

Plug/unplug the tails. If RSSI/RSRP does not change significantly chances are it was never using them.

TBH I'd debrand the unit if possible before going out and buying new gear. But find out which antenna is in use first of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭grimeire

Plug/unplug the tails. If RSSI/RSRP does not change significantly chances are it was never using them.

TBH I'd debrand the unit if possible before going out and buying new gear. But find out which antenna is in use first of all.

Antenna can be seen in this post https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114536525&postcount=15

The RSSI/RSRP does change. before when on the antenna i was getting over 60mb dl and when off i would get like 20mb so it must be working.

Ill debrand it first so. Will have to go looking for the firmware again and the instructions to do so.

[Talking about 3 here]

Placed some of the towers. Using Comreg data its not possible to be sure of all of them. 3110 we've only seen one cell from, it could be an eNB running an extra cell on one of the existing sites or it could be where I've placed it, there should be a cell serving there. The slightly hilly nature may mean not all sites broadcast 360*.

Update: this is the cell you posted in the OP.

slh9Mox.png
    vhwPLw6.png

Looks to be radio fed in the past if not currently. That's one _possibe_ explanation for the intermittent dropouts if your signal to the cell remains ok but traffic dies.

The two sites along the railway are significant and probably well connected and also well used. One has two tiers of LTE Id say (North) and the other one tier.

Both sites are listed as 5G enabled for several months. In the next 6-12mo these could be the best option. You're essentially benefiting from all the teenagers that cannot afford an iPhone 12 yet but as time goes on the number of handsets loading the 5 cells will rise sharply. At higher frequencies you'll want either direct LOS or very low foliage cover in the way. The trees you mention are an issue but these two sites are quite tall and you're above them right?

If not mistaking, this site(3110 and 3676) is obscured from OP by heavy foliage, ~15m tall evergreen trees (thuja) - wall all year round.
    Only guessing - signal from that side just being bounced off/signal from further sites in opposite direction(398) being reflected to the aerial.

• Advertisement

[Talking about 3 here]

Placed some of the towers. Using Comreg data its not possible to be sure of all of them. 3110 we've only seen one cell from, it could be an eNB running an extra cell on one of the existing sites or it could be where I've placed it, there should be a cell serving there. The slightly hilly nature may mean not all sites broadcast 360*.

Update: this is the cell you posted in the OP.

Looks to be radio fed in the past if not currently. That's one _possibe_ explanation for the intermittent dropouts if your signal to the cell remains ok but traffic dies.

The two sites along the railway are significant and probably well connected and also well used. One has two tiers of LTE Id say (North) and the other one tier.

Both sites are listed as 5G enabled for several months. In the next 6-12mo these could be the best option. You're essentially benefiting from all the teenagers that cannot afford an iPhone 12 yet but as time goes on the number of handsets loading the 5 cells will rise sharply. At higher frequencies you'll want either direct LOS or very low foliage cover in the way. The trees you mention are an issue but these two sites are quite tall and you're above them right?

What exactly does radio feed mean? Its acting as a relay?

Im higher than the railway cells like 3590. I am lower than the 3110/3676 cells but the thing is I dont actually ever connect to them even with the antenna directly pointing towards them. Probably due to the trees between me and that site. The site I am nearly always connected to are 398(Three). for vodafone i rarely get 4g if ever and the tower i was connecting to was 113111 which is not where it says it is.

The amount of foilage between me and 398 is probably similar to 3110 and 3676. plus i dont think 3110 and 3676 covers me as i drove around the site a number of times and there appears to be only cells on about 270 degrees around the building and the side im on does not appear to have cells facing it which would explain why im connecting to 3110/3676.

I was connected 398 the other day when walking and was about 1Km away and got over 100Mb dl on my phone. Never got anything near that when standing next to the cells on 3110/3676 with my phone.

Where are you getting the info about "Both sites are listed as 5G enabled" comreg says only vodafone(CK446) have 4g on the 3110/3676 site. Dont see anything about 5g on comreg

For 5g if LOS is needed then i am going to be pretty much f**ked as there is foilage on nearly all sides of me and the only side that does not have foilage does not have any cells on that side.

If not mistaking, this site(3110 and 3676) is obscured from OP by heavy foliage, ~15m tall evergreen trees (thuja) - wall all year round.
    Only guessing - signal from that side just being bounced off/signal from further sites in opposite direction(398) being reflected to the aerial.

If the signal is bounced off other sites would that mean i would see the true origin as the cell i'm connected to or the relay/intermittent cell?

I updated the router firmware to the latest branded version and no improvement. I need a windows machine to run the multicast hack to debrand/flash Huawei firmware so will create a windows VM shortly to do it but if i remember correctly i think i tried it a few years ago but could not get it to update to the Huawei firmware.

Stupid Question but is there any specific orientation i should have the antenna. I just am pointing the domes horizontally towards the cells towers and watching the router stats on my phone to determine the best position but it doesnt make much of a difference.

grimeire wrote: »
    What exactly does radio feed mean? Its acting as a relay?

The small dome near the base of one of the Kathreins is using wireless (microwave) back to a parent site. This might be 100Mb, the other sites probably have 10,000Mb to the eNB (to facilitate 2600Mb 5G that exceeds a 1G uplink).

Comreg list RATs by their technical names (or one of their names). GSM, UMTS, LTE, NR. NR is 5G.

Dont have time to look at it further now but 398 is a proper site, very prominent position. Probably quite busy but you'd hope it'd be stable.

If the signal is bounced off other sites would that mean i would see the true origin as the cell i'm connected to or the relay/intermittent cell?
    Your router show info what cell you are connected to.
    By "bounce" i mean you not getting it from that cell or signal is weak and router ignore it. By "reflection" i mean trees work as mirror - even your antenna not pointing towards eNB 398 it gets reflection from the trees.

I know its time consuming, but if i were you, i'd try positioning antenna every 5° and test.
    To my experience it can make huge difference on what cell it pick and signal/speed you get. Height(not necessary higher) and tilt(up or down) factors might have effect too.

Once you at it, test 3G only - where its 25Mbps max, its almost constant as everyone trying to "milk" 4G hence fluctuation.

Also, look into eNB 443/3662(Three CK0046) - east side from your location. Correct me if I'm wrong - you have more-less open view on driveway side and it might give you LOS to that site, despite its ~2.5km away. This site is marked for NR(Three) as well.

Your router show info what cell you are connected to.
    By "bounce" i mean you not getting it from that cell or signal is weak and router ignore it. By "reflection" i mean trees work as mirror - even your antenna not pointing towards eNB 398 it gets reflection from the trees.

I know its time consuming, but if i were you, i'd try positioning antenna every 5° and test.
    To my experience it can make huge difference on what cell it pick and signal/speed you get. Height(not necessary higher) and tilt(up or down) factors might have effect too.

Once you at it, test 3G only - where its 25Mbps max, its almost constant as everyone trying to "milk" 4G hence fluctuation.

Also, look into eNB 443/3662(Three CK0046) - east side from your location. Correct me if I'm wrong - you have more-less open view on driveway side and it might give you LOS to that site, despite its ~2.5km away. This site is marked for NR(Three) as well.

I have tired doing numerous tests like you said but they dont make much of a difference to the actual router stats. Maybe all the trees are just causing the antenna a world of trouble.

Your right about 3662 but there is a hill between me and it. I also think it may be lower than my position. I tired anyway pointing the antenna to 3662 and done a load of tests but cant seem to get it to connect. Can only connect to 3736 when pointing the antenna in that direction. I think 3736 might be in the same location as 3662 as it definitely not where cell mapper thinks it is. The speeds im getting on it are crap.

3G was pretty much the same as 4G. I would always get about 10Mb - 15Mb DL but the connection would drop out at times like the 4G connection. I found that if 4G is acting up so was 3G.

I de branded the router by installing the latest HUAWEI firmware i could find(21.316.01.01) still no option to select antenna like yours. Looks like the version i was on had far more options too. This firmware does not provide the connection stats. I tired to flash the version i was on and bricked the router the time i did it and the time i tired to flash the downgrade firmware and the 2 times i flashed the modded firmware. Luckily i was able to recover it by flashing the HUAWEI firmware again.

Im going to fiddle around with the antenna and different providers over the next month if I cant see any improvement i am just going to buy a 5G router and new antenna. Probably wont make any difference but Im willing to take the chance since I dont have any other options for 10Mb+ internet.

Thanks for all your and @ED E help.

I de branded the router by installing the latest HUAWEI firmware i could find(21.316.01.01) still no option to select antenna like yours.
    Either you didn't post full FW number or i dont know what you installed there, you previous post list
    Hardware version:CL1E5175HM
    Software version:21.310.01.00.07
    Web UI version:16.100.02.00.03
    that indicate you few numbers short
    Another link to check your current firmware region
    you need nill_nill at the end for generic Huawei, this should unlock full menu options

• Advertisement

Additional about external antenna settings on E5186 - apparently there is non even on generic FW, its auto

See @6min in this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYKXRpJlyx8

The thread went straight into cellular so I assume fixed line is out. Any chance you could link from a neighboir? On mobile atm but one assume there's at least VDSL nearby.

Either you didn't post full FW number or i dont know what you installed there, you previous post list
    that indicate you few numbers short
    Another link to check your current firmware region
    you need nill_nill at the end for generic Huawei, this should unlock full menu options

Sorry firmware i put on is BV7R2C0update_21.316.01.00.00 - Huawei.gz.bin and i got it from here.

Weird thing is that i just checked and on the router it says its on version "21.316.01.01.07" but I have not put that version on so not sure whats going on. The firmware i put on definitely worked as the logo changed and a load of other options went.

IlqOQVx.png

Going to try to put on the modded firmware with all the extra features during the week.

The thread went straight into cellular so I assume fixed line is out. Any chance you could link from a neighboir? On mobile atm but one assume there's at least VDSL nearby.

fixed line is out as the most i can get is 18Mb due to my distance from the cabinet even though there is a cabinet across the road but im connected to a different one CHF1. Last time i was connected to fixed line i was getting no where near that plus i get better even with 3G. It may not be the most stable but still better than paying for fixed with crap speed.

It was you who actually informed me I was connected to a different cabinet. The telephone cable connected to my home and my Neighbors has been down for a long time and I can see it in hanging from trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bazrushe

Hi there the app network signal info app on the play store is accurate in showing you which mast you are connected to very reliable makes things alot more hassle free.

fixed line is out as the most i can get is 18Mb due to my distance from the cabinet even though there is a cabinet across the road but im connected to a different one CHF1. Last time i was connected to fixed line i was getting no where near that plus i get better even with 3G. It may not be the most stable but still better than paying for fixed with crap speed.

Ahh ok, you're DF. I post in so many BB threads I forget who has what :pac:

Crap speeds for full price is hard to swallow but in a year when we're doing a hell of a lot of WFH the stability would be attractive to me. If you lived in the bog and it was 2Mb ER ADSL vs getting 4G to work I could see it being worth the insanity. If you have two people WFH earning €15/hr thats the fixed line tariff paid in 2hrs.

But if you have the patience to persist - do we know whats happening when it drops?
    A - The LTE link drops/changes/stutters (does the cell ID change for a second, does RSSI change?)
    B - Link stays up but IP traffic just stops flowing for a sec

Ahh ok, you're DF. I post in so many BB threads I forget who has what :pac:

Crap speeds for full price is hard to swallow but in a year when we're doing a hell of a lot of WFH the stability would be attractive to me. If you lived in the bog and it was 2Mb ER ADSL vs getting 4G to work I could see it being worth the insanity. If you have two people WFH earning €15/hr thats the fixed line tariff paid in 2hrs.

But if you have the patience to persist - do we know whats happening when it drops?
    A - The LTE link drops/changes/stutters (does the cell ID change for a second, does RSSI change?)
    B - Link stays up but IP traffic just stops flowing for a sec

Im not surprised your the main man for helping people with internet issues. Thank you again for all your help so far.

I have been thinking the same myself about fixed line and especially since we were informed we are WTF untii at least august.

Unfortunately with my work upload and dl speed is pretty important as im uploading and dl tonnes of stuff to servers. Usually my ratio is 1:0.75(DL:UL) with the less than 1Mb up with fixed line it would really slow me down. Most if not all of this uploading is done during the AM when im asleep.

The other factor is to access some of my company resources I have to be on a VPN that does not allow split tunnelling and this VPN kills a connection. doing a speedtest before connecting to VPN in most cases i would get around 30Mb after connection to VPN i get around 5Mb. I can only imagine what speeds I would get with the fixed line. Some of my colleagues have 1Gig connections and get less than 50Mb on the VPN so we only use this when we have to.

Even considering all this I was still thinking of going down the fixed line route and keeping the 4G connection for uploading and it is something I am now seriously considering after seeing the 5g router is going to set me back €400 and more than likely wont fix my stability issues.

Do you know if i have the option to pay for the cost of running a fibre fixed line from the cabinet to my house?

Multiple different things happen when it drops!

A - The LTE link drops/changes/stutters (does the cell ID change for a second, does RSSI change?) I never actually checked this. Will do the next time i see a drop out.
    B - Link stays up but IP traffic just stops flowing for a sec.
    Link stay up but the lag is unreal. goes from <100ms to over 1000ms with pings to google DNS and in many cases the ping packets get no response.If a do a restart of the router the same still happens after reconnecting but usually comes good after about 5-10 mins. In the evenings it may take 30+ mins or longer to come good. This is the symptoms of the most common dropouts. See the same issues with our phone connections in most cases.
    C - The link goes down completely and the router shows no service. Reboot of the router has no affect and i just have to wait till the connection comes back up which can be hours in some cases. This issue rarely occurs and i usually only see it once a month. Last time i seen it was 11am on 04/01/2021. Phones dont seem to have any issues when i see this issue.

D - Unable to reach any google services. I seen this issue on 3 and Vodafone, everything else works fine and i can reach google services when this happens using the work VPN.This is obvs an issue on there end.I rarely see this issue also.

On a positive since moving the antenna to point to 3662 and it instead connecting to 3736. I have seen improved stability and have not see one drop out in the evening which is the time i would usually prolonged dropouts and had just the 2 dropout during the working day, one being C and did not confirm the symptoms for the other but it could of just been the number of people on webex as pages seemed to be loading fine.

Really brief answer for now:

The VPN speed penalty is likely to be a fixed cap, not proportional. So 200Mb becomes 50Mb, 1G becomes 50Mb. If you're getting less it could be your ISPs peering.
    comes good after about 5-10 mins. In the evenings it may take 30+ mins or longer to come good. This is the symptoms of the most common dropouts. See the same issues with our phone connections in most cases.

Thats substatianal and not just a "drop" that I was expecting (that would cause a VPN disconnect)

Let us know how you get on with the new setup.

eNB ID3736 most likely inaccurate, compare to comreg there is no mast in that location. There is eNB1098/THREE_CK0203 bit further that line - could be same spot.

Acording to solwise :

LOS from your location(left) to eNB 3662(right)

538581.PNG

LOS from your location(left) to eNB1098/THREE_CK0203(right)
    538582.PNG

Another tool to check LOS

If willing to play with settings bit more...

Could you check what band you are running on your "best day" ?

For that:
    log in to router web interface, on another tab paste this (correct IP) and hit Enter

view-source:http://Router_IP_here/api/device/signal

Line you looking for is
    <band>?</band>

Even free version of LTE H-Monitor* will allow you to "force" router into selected band, this might facilitate better speed/experience

* i am currently test-running it and it allow me to keep onto B1(2100MHz) - off peak ~100-120Mb DL/30-40Mb UL

Side note:
    For testing, i mixed antennas - one coax comes from ISKRA P-58 L700, other from same you have. Both pointing same direction.
    Results were somewhat odd - forcing router to B1 intermittently register cell ID that is >15Km(!?!) away(no LoS, ~15° off course), switching back to my "local" mast ~4Km.
    Connection to that ID reoccurring, don't even know what to make of it....

If willing to play with settings bit more...

Could you check what band you are running on your "best day" ?

For that:
    log in to router web interface, on another tab paste this (correct IP) and hit Enter

view-source:http://Router_IP_here/api/device/signal

Line you looking for is
    <band>?</band>

Even free version of LTE H-Monitor* will allow you to "force" router into selected band, this might facilitate better speed/experience

* i am currently test-running it and it allow me to keep onto B1(2100MHz) - off peak ~100-120Mb DL/30-40Mb UL

Side note:
    For testing, i mixed antennas - one coax comes from ISKRA P-58 L700, other from same you have. Both pointing same direction.
    Results were somewhat odd - forcing router to B1 intermittently register cell ID that is >15Km(!?!) away(no LoS, ~15° off course), switching back to my "local" mast ~4Km.
    Connection to that ID reoccurring, don't even know what to make of it....

Are you sure you arent seeing an SCC vs a PCC? I seem to be getting B1 for CA use.

• Advertisement

Are you sure you arent seeing an SCC vs a PCC? I seem to be getting B1 for CA use.
    I am not sure of anything at the moment.
    Can SCC come from separate mast?

With LTE H-Monitor i am forcing B1 as upload band - this ensures router stay on particular mast and gives me best speeds
    539754.JPG

I was surprised when saw it on LTE H-monitor, so start looking into it - as it occurred several times i had enough time to take reading with /api/device/signal
    My router clearly register Cell ID, ID number being completely different from my local mast.
    This specific sector is not registered on cellmapper(nor eNB state B1 is there) but ID number sequence correspond to other sectors from mast that i know exist 15Km away.
    eNB ID confirmed it on LTE H-Monitor dash. TAC number differ too.

It is still happening today, however, just for split second.
    Reflected on LTE H-Monitor dash, and it is registered in the logs. Didn't saved logs from yesterday and they are cleared on reboot, damn
    WAN IP does not change when ID change today, no connection drop, and i cant think if it was yesterday.

Puzzled...

(don't kill me PC brigade)

You can have master cell groups that have multiple eNBs working together and UEs can link to both. They share core connectivity so it all ends up the same place. No idea if it's used in Ireland though.

Baffled.
    Made a spin. The only place could catch it on the phone was just <1Km away from home on very narrow stretch - talking 15-25m of the road , different sector but same eNB ID.
    Callmapper acting up - now it show that eNB even further away - ~50Km
    "Ghost", for now anyway

Were you up very early today?
    A total of 98 LTE tiles were updated for this provider at Sun, 17 Jan 21 07:15:34 +0000. This took a total of 2 seconds.
    Click the link above to see this provider map.

A total of 12 LTE tiles were updated for this provider at Sun, 17 Jan 21 05:01:44 +0000. This took a total of 20 seconds.
    Click the link above to see this provider map.

Were you up very early today?
    Barely sleep at all, having nightmares about ghost masts :D
    Best time to test speeds - less congestion as all other "nerds" still in beds.

First off thanks for all the help and advise here.

Update.

So after replacing everything router, antenna and cables and testing for over a month I got a pretty stable connection on Band 1 to 3736 or I should say until the last week or so.

In the last week or so the router seems to be flickering between 3737 and 3736. 3636 give me around 50-100Mb at all times where 3737 never gives me more than 20Mb.

I dont really understand where 3737 came from as i never connected to it until recently and had a great connection before it popped up. It must be new as no changes where made to the antenna since before it popped up. I spent nearly a month moving the antenna every few days to find the best position for it as the router stats were useless. What @smuggler.ie said is correct the trees seem to be reflecting the signal so no matter where i point the antennas the stats were all over the place. I found the best position for the antenna doing 50+ speedtests over the course of days and documenting the cells i was connecting to. Currently the antenna is pointing directly at 3736 but does have to go through a large amount of trees. router connection stats are all over the place but speed is pretty consistent on 3736 depending on time of the day/congestion.

On the other side of the tree(<100m) with my phone i get 100Mb DL. on 3736. So it looks like where ever 3737 is the trees are reflecting its signal.

It would be brilliant if comreg would actually provide the ENBs of each tower so I can confirm where 3737 is at least as cell mapper has not provide any useable info to where it is located plus I have yet to see my phone ever even connect to it but it must has at some stage as cell mapper would not be aware of it other wise.

Any one have any idea if there is an app to force specific bands on a phone? At least that way i can force the phone to use band 1 and improve my chances of connecting to it. I could only find ones to force specific connection types e.g 5G, 4G etc..

Takes some efforts doesn't it... Glad for your 100 !
    So after replacing everything router, antenna .....
    Can you remind me what gear you have now?
    In the last week or so the router seems to be flickering between 3737 and 3736. 3636 give me around 50-100Mb at all times where 3737 never gives me more than 20Mb.....
    Lost me there between numbers, might review and correct where applies so we could get the actual picture.
    3676 NW from you
    3736 S from you
    3737 SE from you, "ghosting"
    3636 ??? cant see

Few posts back i mentioned new cell appear out of nowhere on B1 for me.
    It "ghosted" till i made decent spin around my area. Watched its move on cellmapper - from W @15Km, to SW(my antenna point there about this direction) @50Km to its final destination SE @10Km. Similar could be with your 3737
    B1 being 2100MHz travel further distance
    Since it was interfering for me i have moved to B3 (1800Mhz) and currently sitting snug on 120-180DL. Rarely 100 at peak times, 260 tops at 6 in the morning.
    Have you tested B3, your cells show it - should be no antenna adjustment needed.

Any one have any idea if there is an app to force specific bands on a phone? At least that way i can force the phone to use band 1 and improve my chances of connecting to it. I could only find ones to force specific connection types e.g 5G, 4G etc..

Network Signal Guru, root required.

Takes some efforts doesn't it... Glad for your 100 !
    Can you remind me what gear you have now?
    Lost me there between numbers, might review and correct where applies so we could get the actual picture.
    3676 NW from you
    3736 S from you
    3737 SE from you, "ghosting"
    3636 ??? cant see

Few posts back i mentioned new cell appear out of nowhere on B1 for me.
    It "ghosted" till i made decent spin around my area. Watched its move on cellmapper - from W @15Km, to SW(my antenna point there about this direction) @50Km to its final destination SE @10Km. Similar could be with your 3737
    B1 being 2100MHz travel further distance
    Since it was interfering for me i have moved to B3 (1800Mhz) and currently sitting snug on 120-180DL. Rarely 100 at peak times, 260 tops at 6 in the morning.
    Have you tested B3, your cells show it - should be no antenna adjustment needed.

Sorry that should only be 3736 and 3737.

So here is what i upgraded to

- huawei 112-372 router
    - Iskra P-60-5G MIMO Antenna
    - moved antenna so the cable length is now 5m instead of 10m to router.

all in all the new stuff cost me over €500. The 112-372 it a decent router but missing a lot of the settings that are in my e5186 such as being able to select a specific band and connection type but found huaCtrl that does the trick.

I tested all the other bands and none of them gave more than 50MB during off peak times and some were giving me snails pace during peak times. Band 1 for me seems to give the best speeds and is the most stable in that the speeds are never less than 50MB with emb 3736 anyway.

Im after spinning around a lot to find 3737 but the problem is cell mapper app never even sees it on my phones and i have no idea where the bloody thing is. I have 3 phones all with cellmapper on it and 3 Sims and i bring them with me anytime im mapping cells to triple the points i will be making. Im not sure will even identifying where the tower is make a difference as the trees seem to reflect all the cell signals in my aerial. Even pointing the antennas 180 degrees the opposite direction to some cells i can still pick them up.

I will look into rooting one of the phones and use that app @ED_E suggested.

• Advertisement

So here is what i upgraded to

- huawei 112-372 router
    - Iskra P-60-5G MIMO Antenna
    - moved antenna so the cable length is now 5m instead of 10m to router.
    Wow. 5G prepared!
    And have you 5G add-on enabled on your SIM? Wonder how that works

Someone mentioned Three potentially does 5G over B1 and it was your town IIRC.

Edit: eNB ID 3081 in particular was mentioned
    Also, switch celmapper to NR! - your pin-point location has tracks left there, as well as 3081 area, but no masts marked. You might have 5G available :eek:

Advertisement