Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

wowy wrote: »
    Gutting. 13 Grade 2's
    towel401 wrote: »
    same
    failed mine in tipperary town
    Wheels wrote: »
    Failed in Raheny
    tuxy wrote: »
    Failed in Nenagh
    Hard luck lads/ladies - keep at it.

tuxy wrote:
    Not entirly sure where I went wrong with reaction to hazards. People walked out in front of me a few times so I slowed way down to show I saw the hazard. :confused:
    There may have been other hazards that you missed and should have reacted to. ;)

When you slowed down for pedestrians on the road, did you make any gestures to them, e.g. to indicate to them that you were 'allowing' them to cross?
    Wheels wrote:
    He even left out the roundabout
    Turnabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Failed this moring Rathgar, 9 grade 2's.

1 of them for the rules and checks, so disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Worry not fellow failures, I just blew my 3rd attempt. First 2 in Finglas with same tester both times :mad: but Raheny today, decent guy but got loadsa marks on "Progress on the straight" (which I'm assuming is driving too slow...rofl) and this "Reaction to hazards" gets me everytime.

Man I give up. I did do that online ISM pretest thing and studied all the videos but next time I'll probably be recruiting the services of an instructor to share my woe...and the blame :o

Words cannot begin to describe how frustrating it is.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Savman wrote: »
    Worry not fellow failures, I just blew my 3rd attempt. First 2 in Finglas with same tester both times :mad: but Raheny today, decent guy but got loadsa marks on "Progress on the straight" (which I'm assuming is driving too slow...rofl) and this "Reaction to hazards" gets me everytime.

Man I give up. I did do that online ISM pretest thing and studied all the videos but next time I'll probably be recruiting the services of an instructor to share my woe...and the blame :o

Words cannot begin to describe how frustrating it is.

Keep at it mate, I've done it four times now and have my fifth coming up.

Position turning and clearance on overtaking were my big ones. Two of the testers I've had gave advice afterwards - and it has improved my awareness of things a lot.

Remember going in next time you've had more experience of 'the test' so you can calm down and concentrate on your driving - compared to many of the other candidates.

Healio wrote: »
    Failed this moring Rathgar
    Savman wrote: »
    I just blew my 3rd attempt....

.....next time I'll probably be recruiting the services of an instructor
    Hard luck folks! :(

Savman - did you not utilise a driving instructor up to now? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Hard luck folks! :(

Savman - did you not utilise a driving instructor up to now? :eek:
    Negative boss, thought I could busk it maybe on 2nd attempt. How wrong I was. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

Failed my first test in Cork (sarsfields road) yesterday. Thought it went well but the fact I'd only been driving for 2 weeks came against me - got badly done for not being smooth on the accelerator / clutch.

Needed the licence urgently for a business trip to Las Vegas in February so that's a bummer. :( Ah well, back to the drawing board...

zeusnero wrote: »
    Failed my first test in Cork (sarsfields road) yesterday. Thought it went well but the fact I'd only been driving for 2 weeks came against me - got badly done for not being smooth on the accelerator / clutch.
    Hard luck zeusnero. You really need a lot more experience before taking the test. Get another application off and keep working at it.
    zeusnero wrote:
    Needed the licence urgently for a business trip to Las Vegas in February
    Realistically, you would need a lot more experience before attempting to drive in another country (even if you did pass the test).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

just failed in Kilkenny [first go] - 10 grade 2's mainly for reaction to hazards and speed. The two things I thought I'd mess up was mirrors and the old reverse around the corner and they were fine. Got taken up high street [main street in kilkenny] at lunch time when all the school kids were running around everywhere so not surprised I got caught for hazards

Gutted but seems to have been a bad auld morning for it here three people ahead all failed [talked to one, the other two it was clear they'd failed] and a guy who started the same time as me failed, not sure about the other person as they weren't back, hopefully they passed someone should today.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kruk

Failed in Wicklow this afternoon. Basically, I didn't make any serious mistakes and in my oppinion it wasn't too bad. There were little things I did on the route which I need to sort out. But the balance between what's right and what's wrong is very thin. I did pre test on the same route just hour before my test and I passed it without any problems. So when I was doing a real test I drove as I did on my pre test but he saw some mistakes. For my instructor and for myself those things weren't bad but normal. So it also depends of examiner. For some of them your way of driving is fine and for some of them it will be marked as a mistake. Unlucky day for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

Failed in Raheny today and I can't understand what happened at all. I got 20 Grade 2's... thats right, 20! Which seems crazy to me. I did pre-tests with two different instructors and I passed both with very few errors. I drove no differently today to how I normally would. No obvious problems or so I thought. I can see where I picked up some of the marks but 20 seems way over the top.

I got a Grade 2 on Rules and Checks even though I know I got them right. I spoke to my instructor and told him what I'd been asked and how I answered and he said it was perfect. I also checked the Rules of the Road afterwards and my answers were right! In the car I was asked to show the full and dipped lights, windscreen washer and rear window heater, got them fine. No bonnet checks as it was raining. So where on earth did he pluck that grade 2 from?

Whatever anyone says about it being fair for everyone, there is definitely an element of luck involved. I really think my tester was completely unreasonable. Its just soul destroying when you work so hard for it and you think you're doing well, and then you get a crazy result like that. Its knocked my confidence so much.

Sorry I'm just so frustrated and needed a rant!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kruk

susanna wrote: »
    Failed in Raheny today and I can't understand what happened at all. I got 20 Grade 2's... thats right, 20! Which seems crazy to me. I did pre-tests with two different instructors and I passed both with very few errors. I drove no differently today to how I normally would. No obvious problems or so I thought. I can see where I picked up some of the marks but 20 seems way over the top.

I got a Grade 2 on Rules and Checks even though I know I got them right. I spoke to my instructor and told him what I'd been asked and how I answered and he said it was perfect. I also checked the Rules of the Road afterwards and my answers were right! In the car I was asked to show the full and dipped lights, windscreen washer and rear window heater, got them fine. No bonnet checks as it was raining. So where on earth did he pluck that grade 2 from?

Whatever anyone says about it being fair for everyone, there is definitely an element of luck involved. I really think my tester was completely unreasonable. Its just soul destroying when you work so hard for it and you think you're doing well, and then you get a crazy result like that. Its knocked my confidence so much.

To be honest with you it's really weird and your frustration is completely understood. Perhaps, you should do something about that? As I noticed on my test yesterday even if there's a controversial decision on the route, you have no chance to prove that you were right and he's wrong. But I think you're able to prove that you answers were correctly.

I know, someone can say that people who failed always looking for some excuses for their errors, but if you feel your examiner wasn't fair you have right to disagree with his judgement. After all you work hard, you waste your time for preparations and you waste your money for lessons.

Anyway, I wish you good luck. I know what you feel :-)

Kruk wrote: »
    To be honest with you it's really weird and your frustration is completely understood. Perhaps, you should do something about that? As I noticed on my test yesterday even if there's a controversial decision on the route, you have no chance to prove that you were right and he's wrong. But I think you're able to prove that you answers were correctly.

I know, someone can say that people who failed always looking for some excuses for their errors, but if you feel your examiner wasn't fair you have right to disagree with his judgement. After all you work hard, you waste your time for preparations and you waste your money for lessons.

Anyway, I wish you good luck. I know what you feel :-)

Thanks Kruk.

Hard luck on your test too, I suppose all we can do now is reapply and just keep going in the meantime.

I don't think I'll get very far in appealing as I had so many Grade 2's anyway, so even if I could prove that my answers were correct it won't make up for the rest of my test. I had a chat with my instructor and he thinks I was marked harshly, he's had students make the same mistakes and only get a Grade 1.

Oh well, onwards and upwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I got a grade 2 on that section as well and I was confused were it had come from. I checked the rules of the road after and my answers were right [got alot of questions about moterways for some reason] I thought it might have been the engine check but I was at my garage today to get car ready for NCT and had them go over the engine with me and I was right about everything he asked me.

When going over the secondary controls and he asked how do you work with wipers I just said "with this lever here" and flicked it up and down to demo. I thought maybe I should have been more clear with that and gone through the different speeds and what not but thats the only thing i can think of from that section of the test that I might have been marked down on.

The car was very misty when I got in, and as I knew we were going driving right after the checks, I flicked the rear window demister on and the fan, while he was still checking the break lights, so the car would be ready to go. The back mirror was still pretty misty when we were ready to head so I told him we'd go once the back window was clear....could I have been marked down for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 theleprechaun

ztoical wrote: »
    I got a grade 2 on that section as well and I was confused were it had come from. I checked the rules of the road after and my answers were right [got alot of questions about moterways for some reason] I thought it might have been the engine check but I was at my garage today to get car ready for NCT and had them go over the engine with me and I was right about everything he asked me.

When going over the secondary controls and he asked how do you work with wipers I just said "with this lever here" and flicked it up and down to demo. I thought maybe I should have been more clear with that and gone through the different speeds and what not but thats the only thing i can think of from that section of the test that I might have been marked down on.

The car was very misty when I got in, and as I knew we were going driving right after the checks, I flicked the rear window demister on and the fan, while he was still checking the break lights, so the car would be ready to go. The back mirror was still pretty misty when we were ready to head so I told him we'd go once the back window was clear....could I have been marked down for that?

reminds me of my test, back in december. failed. in the same boat. got faults for rules and checks for reasons god knows why. i answered them all correctly. and i know that for a fact. and i didn't go for a while because the car was all fogged up too. ah well, there is nothing you can do is reapply. we'll get it eventually but it is really all down to luck and what type of tester you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

Thanks Kruk.

Hard luck on your test too, I suppose all we can do now is reapply and just keep going in the meantime.

I don't think I'll get very far in appealing as I had so many Grade 2's anyway, so even if I could prove that my answers were correct it won't make up for the rest of my test. I had a chat with my instructor and he thinks I was marked harshly, he's had students make the same mistakes and only get a Grade 1.

Oh well, onwards and upwards...
    Sorry to hear about that. But with appeals you have to go to the District Court and all the judge can do is give you a free retest, can't over turn the testers decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Little Bo Peep

Hard luck Susanna and I also identify with your frustration, having also spent tonnes on lessons, pre-tests etc. Like you I was told I would pass by different instructors. So many people I've spoken to about the test have agreed that there is such an element of luck involved. One girl in work told me she was told to stop on her reverse around the corner as she did not see someone behind her and she still passed. Even if you look on the 'succesful' part of this forum you will find comments such as:

''Passed yesterday after failing in early March. 11 grade 2's in March - only 2 yesterday and the difference to be honest was the tester, different guy in different test centre and he very easy going and relaxed'' and

''3rd time lucky! Tbh I think it really makes a huge difference who you get''

''I have to say that I don't think my driving has improved all that much since I first took the test last July. The main difference was the tester - the last time he was nasty, and made me very nervous. This in turn affected my performance.''

''I actually thought I drove better in my first test (when I received 9 grade 2's) in comparison to today (when I only received 2).''

''Passed in Nass.. By the skin of my teeth.. Had a nightmare drive and was sure I'd failed, touched kerb on reversing''

''Passed second time today - though I clipped/almost mounted a kerb in the car park before leaving the test centre''

and

''I've only been driving three months so i'm well pleased.'' .....which I'm very jealous of as driving longer than I would care to admit on an L plate.

So all we can do I think is prepare well (again) and try not to let it knock the confidence!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Failed in Raheny today and I can't understand what happened at all. I got 20 Grade 2's... thats right, 20!

I did my test in rahney a few years back now, the tester was really nice and very chatty, i have always said to people it really depends on the tester if you pass or not. This is the second time i have heard someone mention they did not request you to open the bonnet of the car because it was raining, thats a disgrace on there part, its part of the test so tecnically they are failing themselfs and should be reported for that in my view, this counts against the pass marks required.

It does sound as if you got marked unfairly, but maybe some can correct me if i'm wrong, but you can appeal against, maybe you ask your instructor, you sound as if you may have a case, cant say the success rate is, but i would look into this if i was you.

Thanks Little Bo Peep... I know you're right, its the luck of the draw (that's not to say the people who pass dont deserve it, just that there are so many inconsistencies). I've applied again, to Finglas this time so hopefully it'll work out better second time around. To be honest its not the fact that I failed that I'm upset about, just the massive number of faults which I think were unfair. I know I'm not that bad. I got back in my car today and it was as if I was back to square one, my confidence is just shattered. My driving was fine two days ago but tonight I was making silly mistakes.

Barlow, if you appeal (and win) all you get is a chance to resit the test for free. You have to prove that the tester carried out the test unfairly, which maybe I could prove on the ROTR, but I can't prove it for the rest of the faults. I've applied again anyway so I'll leave it at that. You're right about the bonnet checks, come to think of it the rain had actually stopped by then so there was no reason not to do it. Its strange alright!

Good luck everyone with tests coming up, we will get there eventually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭stardust_dublin

I failed my test today. So disappointed... It was my 3rd time. I thought the test went alright, but i had a feeling half way through that i had already failed because I saw the tester marking my faults more than 8 times.. Got 12 grade 2's and 3 grade 3 faults!!!!! unbelieveable! I never even got 1 grade 3 fault on either of my previous tests.. The reason I failed last time was because of my braking (too harsh). This time I got no faults whatsoever in this area, but on observation at roundabouts... Really is the luck of the draw in my opinion. The tester was nice but I think she heavily penalised me for stupid things. My observation wasnt bad enough to be given 3 grade 3's (whats ironic is roundabouts are usually my best part). I was very unlucky (any other route and I think I would have been ok). Hopefully will get it 4th time..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

I failed my test today. So disappointed... It was my 3rd time. I thought the test went alright, but i had a feeling half way through that i had already failed because I saw the tester marking my faults more than 8 times.. Got 12 grade 2's and 3 grade 3 faults!!!!! unbelieveable! I never even got 1 grade 3 fault on either of my previous tests.. The reason I failed last time was because of my braking (too harsh). This time I got no faults whatsoever in this area, but on observation at roundabouts... Really is the luck of the draw in my opinion. The tester was nice though. I was very unlucky (any other route and I think I would have been ok). Hopefully will get it 4th time..

As a very wise man once said to me about the sport of Tug of War...."keep f***ing at it"

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Failed in Raheny, my own fault really.

Let myself get intimidated by two young lads in a car during my turnabout who pulled up right on top of me and starting beeping at the last manoeuvre, tapped the curb for a grade two, presumed it was a grade three and let the stuffing get knocked out of my confidence. Cut out twice shortly afterwards and made a couple of other mistakes.

Worst part is being told afterwards that I would have sailed through on my driving up to that point.

How long is the average wait if you get a letter from work?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭SeanW

Poster above you has the right idea, "keep F*@#ing at it." There may well be some luck of the draw involved, I tend to think that there is a little bit, but you do need to look at what you've been marked down on, and, might consider changing instructors, to see if there's any (recurring) problems you can sort out for next time.

So keep at it, and when you get the pleasure of handing your green paper in at the tax office, and ***ing your L-plates in the bin, the borderline ectasy will have been well worth it.

ztoical wrote: »
    just failed in Kilkenny
    Kruk wrote: »
    Failed in Wicklow this afternoon
    Failed in Raheny today
    I failed my test today
    damienom wrote: »
    Failed in Raheny
    Hard luck folks. :( Get those applications off again and don't despair!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Failed again in Skib today, by one grade 2. The guy was very apologetic. Apparently if I'd looked in my left wing mirror one more time I would've passed. You have to laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

If you go to the test website, it says that you are well within your rights to claim you didn't get a fair test and appeal the decision.

If you go to the test website, it says that you are well within your rights to claim you didn't get a fair test and appeal the decision.
    One can't appeal the decision. One can only appeal for a retest. The original test result isn't overturned.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Bloody test was called off this morning due to bad fog:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

Had my 3rd fail on Monday in Thurles, main reason was lack of progression. The tester was apologetic and said that there wasn't much in it.

As a side note I would recommend rescue remedy to anyone who's extremely nervous it helped keep me calm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bambam320

Failed today in Dun Laoire (2nd fail:(). Guess i shudn be surprised tho the whole thing was against me from the start. Was meant to do my test last monday, but i got a letter from sgs saying that (for no reason) my test had t be cancelled and i was to call and reschedule. Did so, and the date they gave me wasnt till march. Asked them was there anything closer and they gave my the 13th of Feb at 9:20.
    So today went up to do my test and was told to go home, that the fog was too thick and they would call me and reschedule. I asked was there anyway i could fit in today later maybe and they said only if i was lucky with a cancellation or a no show.
    Anyway i was lucky and got a test at 1.30. Went out and came home with a blank sheet except for one red:mad: mark. Which i got because when i came to a roundabout (i was taking the first exit so was on the left hand side) and as i moved out to proceed another car came along in the righthand lane of the roundabout with no indicators. so i proceeded with my turn and no sooner did i go onto the roundabout, the other driver realised i was going into his/her exit and pulled into my lane still with no indication. This made it look like i cut him/her off and i was awarded my red mark. Cheers

Advertisement