Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

I'm making my second attempt at reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Faring a bit better this time, but still tough going, it's hard to get into a good rhythm with it because of the multiple changes in style and those damn footnotes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Just finished re-reading "Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows" tonight and now the next book in my to-read list is Simon Pegg's "Nerd Do Well".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Halfway through The Outsider by Albert Camus, t'is strange yet brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I have an awful habit of starting a book then after a few chapters putting it down for a few weeks and forgetting about it! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

crime & punishment by dostoevsky....a pretty good read i must say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

py2006 wrote: »
    I have an awful habit of starting a book then after a few chapters putting it down for a few weeks and forgetting about it! :(

That's me as well...do it with games too. Usually I go back and finish the books but the games tend to be superseded by what ever new one comes out...soo many unfinished games :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas.

It's taking me a long time to read though because I bought a new phone and have been playing with it a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

crime & punishment by dostoevsky....a pretty good read i must say

Reading this too. Well, I started a couple of months ago then just got side tracked with a couple of other books. It starts really well, and it is a good story, but I spend a lot of time wishing he'd just get to the bloody point. I think a lot of russian books are like that, must pick it up again in any case

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Knicked John Lonergan's 'The Governor' from the parent's house today, still haven't started it.

Big John Lonergan fan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just finished reading the Autobiography of Malcolm X, and now I'm half way through 'Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

JMSE wrote: »
    Read the hardcopy a few months ago, found it tough going, lots of rambling tedious stuff thrown in, he keeps saying he wont bother the reader with lots of mundane details and then proceeds to bother the reader with other mundane details. That said, for a book written so long ago, it must have been a great way to spend an evening reading it.

Really? I think Gulliver's Travels is a great book. Kept me gripped and I flew through it.

I'm reading Heidi. Having just finished Anne of Green Gables. Having a bit of a children's book phase :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm reading 'Circles Around the Sun'. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in schizophrenia. It's kind of an insight into the illness, not exactly light reading but pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

"Use your head; a guided tour of the human mind"

I've been getting very into pop-psychology lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

For the third time, I am reading a book by my all time favourite man in human history, General Charles de Gaulle's Salvation: The series of his memoirs from 1944-46, which is also my favourite period in history.

Yes ladies, I am available!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett - a brilliant read

leahyl wrote: »
    One of the most enjoyable books I read last year! Looking forward to the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Oh I saw a preview for that movie... chick flick, or no?

Mmm, not so much. More a drama, I'd say. With a mainly female cast, perhaps.

One of the most enjoyable books I read last year! Looking forward to the film.

Me too I wonder when it's out here? It's our in the states already anyway - doing well although it's being described as a comedy-drama - there's not an awful lot of comedy in the book!

October 28th :) Comedy, really? I hope they haven't strayed too far from the book in that case. I think it's had a generally good reception even from those who are fans of the book so hopefully it'll be alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The Monster Book of Monsters, I can't close it!

October 28th :) Comedy, really? I hope they haven't strayed too far from the book in that case. I think it's had a generally good reception even from those who are fans of the book so hopefully it'll be alright.

Oh it's a long way off yet so! Ya it's done really well so far - grossed something like 96million at the box office already

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Oh it's a long way off yet so! Ya it's done really well so far - grossed something like 96million at the box office already

Emma Stone has come quite far since her days of SuperBad.. looks good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 PuddleMooders

Just saw the trailer for "The Help" and it seems very cheerful. If they have stayed close to the book then they really are leading people astray with the trailer. :/ I mean, that part in the novel with Miss Celia Foote and Minny in the bathroom??? Not a cheerful scene at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Finished reading "Sway", getting back to "Influence" (half way through).

Check 'em out if you're into that sort of thing, interesting stuff and well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan, it's pretty meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan, it's pretty meh.
    Damn i was looking forward to that.

Lord of Chaos by Robert Jorden (reread but i fúcking love WOT)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Rafael Nadal's autobiography "Rafa". Interesting read.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connolly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

The great war for civilisation, the conquest of the middle east by Robert Fisk. Fascinating so far. His impartiality is refreshing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement