Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Have been meaning to read this since it came out. Worth buying?
    Definitely! It's really fascinating if you've an interest in identity and how the Jewish people and the current Israeli-Palestinian conflict came into being. Funnily enough, the intro is one of the best parts, I think! As someone who's lived in Israel, I feel that I can relate to a lot of things he says, and every few pages there's something which makes me stop and really think- it's very insightful. Highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Siuin wrote: »
    Definitely! It's really fascinating if you've an interest in identity and how the Jewish people and the current Israeli-Palestinian conflict came into being. Funnily enough, the intro is one of the best parts, I think! As someone who's lived in Israel, I feel that I can relate to a lot of things he says, and every few pages there's something which makes me stop and really think- it's very insightful. Highly recommended.

I'll check it out so. I hesitated when it came out initially as I thought it may have just been a 'hype' book with no substance. I'm very interested in Israel and Jewish identity so this seems like it'd be a perfect read. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

At Home by Bill Bryson and Seeing Further, a history of the Royal Society and the development of science, edited by Bill Bryson. After that I'm going to reread A Short History of Nearly Everything, by, er, Bill Bryson.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

McMafia by Misha Glenny : Very interesting read about crime around the world

Fantastic book!!! :pac:
    Blackwater by Jeremy Scahill : Chilling look at Americas private army.

Will defo get around to reading it soon!!!

Good choices. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The Negotiator by Frederick Forsyth.

Brilliant stuff so far. I've read a load of his books, all excellent and all real page-turners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I've been reading Christine by Stephen King this week. Its 800 pages long. I've only got about 50 pages left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Memoirs of a Geezer by Jah Wobble

Very good insight into the East End London Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Offalygal1 wrote: »
    Nama Mia by Ross o Carroll Kelly. I need some light entertainment:D

Devoured that last week in 3 days! The week before that I finished re-reading the Harry Potter series. Now I've no books to read :( The bus journey into work isn't the same with just The Metro to entertain me!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

Just finished 'The Summons' John Grisham

Just started 'The Grass Arena' John Healy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Solace by Belinda mc Keon, it okay, I just finished the Bill Bryson's a history of private life great book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭fiona12

Lynwood Barclay - Never look away

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭fiona12

The Confession - John Grisham

I am a great Grisham fan. This any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭xxtattyberxx

Ive been reading ' A stolen life' the Jayvee Dugard memoir....

Heart breaking stuff :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Mustaine - A Life In Metal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, early days yet but so far engrossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭blackwhite

No Shortcuts to the Top - Ed Viesturs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Just finished 1974 and now reading 1977, the second of a four book series (which also include 1980 and 1983) all by David Peace. He also wrote 'Damned United' (Leeds United FC and Brian Clough), which was also made into a very popular TV film production.

Crime thrillers all set in the Leeds area ( also made into TV plays as 'Red Riding'). Gritty, fast paced thrillers which take place in very challenging times, and depressed locations.

I wouldn't normally read crime books but became interested after seeing the TV plays ('Red Riding') which were based on the stories. Recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Just finished 1974 and now reading 1977, the second of a four book series (which also include 1980 and 1983) all by David Peace. He also wrote 'Damned United' (Leeds United FC and Brian Clough), which was also made into a very popular TV film production.

Crime thrillers all set in the Leeds area ( also made into TV plays as 'Red Riding'). Gritty, fast paced thrillers which take place in very challenging times, and depressed locations.

I wouldn't normally read crime books but became interested after seeing the TV plays ('Red Riding') which were based on the stories. Recommend.

Great books; if you understand it all after you read them let me know :), it took me two attempts to get what was going on.
    You have the two best of the series ahead aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Alan Sugar : What you see is what you get

• Registered Users Posts: 5 wilksni

Iain M Banks - consider phlebas

• Advertisement

fontanalis wrote: »
    Great books; if you understand it all after you read them let me know :), it took me two attempts to get what was going on.
    You have the two best of the series ahead aswell.

Thats great really looking forward to them. Certainly 1974 was a bit clunky an awful lot taking place simultaneously but enjoying 1977 much more so. Wasn't sure why, perhaps some of the key characters are more familiar, certainly the writing is more structured and storyline easier to follow. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Thats great really looking forward to them. Certainly 1974 was a bit clunky an awful lot taking place simultaneously but enjoying 1977 much more so. Wasn't sure why, perhaps some of the key characters are more familiar, certainly the writing is more structured and storyline easier to follow. ;)

I found 1974 to drag in places but having some great bits; the events really set up the rest of the series.
    When I read them first I ranked them from best to "worse" as 1983, 1980, 1977 & 1974; on second reading I put 1974 ahead of 1977. I found the bits where one of the character has the stuff going on inside his head a bit distractuing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

wilksni wrote: »
    Iain M Banks - consider phlebas

Amazing book. The whole 'Culture' series is incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Siuin wrote: »
    "The Invention of the Jewish People" Shlomo Sands
    Some very interesting insights

That sounds pretty interesting.

Just curious, has anyone read the 'Damned United'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Just started on Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I didn't think it was great. Hated the style of writing. Very stop. start. Short sentences. Doesn't really. Grab you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I didn't think it was great. Hated the style of writing. Very stop. start. Short sentences. Doesn't really. Grab you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 wilksni

Morlar wrote: »
    Amazing book. The whole 'Culture' series is incredible.

I know right!? Someone recommended Banks and Simmons to me, have all their books now. Just started the second read through with consider, next player of games >_<

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cathykelly77

lads i no tis isnt relevant to the subject here bu im stuck how can one post a thread???/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement