Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bohemian Rhapsody (Freddie Mercury Biopic)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

i think cillian murphy could pull off a young brian may

I bet he could :pac:

but would he swallow is the question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Brian May could be played by his other half Anita Dobson

anita_brian-gal-lookalikes.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Wow you're old! :eek:

If you thought being 7 32 years ago makes you old, I was 19 when that single was released. I must be ancient !

I was 14 when Seven Seas of Rhye was released and I've been a fan ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

chughes wrote: »
    If you thought being 7 32 years ago makes you old, I was 19 when that single was released. I must be ancient !

I was 14 when Seven Seas of Rhye was released and I've been a fan ever since.

lol i had -(minus) 7 :P in my post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

D1976 wrote: »
    Seriously Lars Ulrich, he doesn't have to be a drummer to play the part

ulrichvskeaton.jpg&t=1

Just always thought Taylor and Ulrich looked alike, the drummer thing was purely coincidental.
    If i was working off that logic, where did i get Martin Platt from? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

OOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhh

Handbags at Dawn

dh.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

D1976 wrote: »
    OOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhh

Handbags at Dawn

dh.gif

All in honour of Freddy, he loved a good game of hangbags :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Casting update: there's a new candidate for the lead role in Daniel Radcliffe.

I didn't know he could sing, but he's apparently quite good - and he's also close to Mercury's size. Cohen is much taller.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

bnt wrote: »
    Casting update: there's a new candidate for the lead role in Daniel Radcliffe.

I didn't know he could sing, but he's apparently quite good - and he's also close to Mercury's size. Cohen is much taller.

That would be a weird casting IMO. Will do very well to match the accents and the look.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Dear god no... he seems like a nice kid but he's a dreadful actor...

Sacha Baron Cohen's reasons for quitting seem disappointing too. How can you do a Freddie biopic without showing the extravagant excess?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sleepy wrote: »
    Dear god no... he seems like a nice kid but he's a dreadful actor...

Sacha Baron Cohen's reasons for quitting seem disappointing too. How can you do a Freddie biopic without showing the extravagant excess?

Agreed on both counts. I can only presume Rogers & May are taking real care with how Freddie is portrayed, & are wary of painting the wrong image of him. He was really private by all accounts, & they probably want to respect that as much as possible. Rightly so too I suppose, Cohen's strong suit wouldn't be subtlety. May & Rogers prb had a hard time finding a line they're comfortable with, showing Freddie's extravagance, while being careful to ensure he's not portrayed in the wrong light.

Seemingly Harry Potter himself thinks the casting is wrong.

I stand by the "nice kid" comment. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Sleepy wrote: »

they should do it like the Liberace movie behind the candelabra

anyhow Cohen is too tall to play Freddie, Freddie was a short arse no more than 5' 8"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

They should get Ross McCall to play freddie.

He actually played freddies double in a queen video.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSasoln6Me7fN75R692Y65O4npwvTfJ4FquUUIB9SKbAjoG4d6Z

tumblr_m2l45mK7xF1qib8vfo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^first sign of his illness in that pic, face a bit gaunt

• Registered Users Posts: 85,118 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Adam Lambert is already touring with the rest of Queen and now he is "acting" as he has joined Glee :P

I saw the names Noel Fielding and Russell Brand put forward on another forum, Noel does resemble Freddie

I think maybe a UK actor like Sam Riley (awesome in Control), Dominic Cooper or Michael Sheen could do well in the role

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Interesting suggestions Liz, would say no to Lambert though. Brand isn't a bad shout though, I'd be really curious to see how he'd fare. Sheen would probably be the safest choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

If its going to be a safe movie then it should not be done. Brian May tried to warn Mercury about his sexual lifestyle at one point as he had read about Aids and Freddie penned this response

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the real question is who is going to direct it

Queen did not want Freddie Mercury biopic 'to be a joke
    http://www.theguardian.com/music/filmblog/2013/sep/26/queen-freddie-mercury-biopic-sacha-baron-cohen

so Sacha Baron Cohen couldn't do a drama but also bring some humour to it thats was a part of all members of queen?

• Advertisement

Ben Whishaw latest name attached

If its going to be a safe movie then it should not be done. Brian May tried to warn Mercury about his sexual lifestyle at one point as he had read about Aids and Freddie penned this response
    Is that really true? Never heard that before!

Any suggestion of a good biography to read while waiting for the film?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Mark Blake's Is This the Real Life?: the Untold Story of Queen, is probably the best.
    The worst - though it's probably long out of print - is Queen: As It Began, an official biography by Jacky Gunn and Jim Jenkins from twenty years ago. An incredibly badly written book that seems more interested in listing what format each single was released on than providing any insight other than the most innocuous anecdotes.
    Back on topic, I think Ben Whishaw is a good choice.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I have Freddie Mercury The Definitive Biography by Lesley-Ann Jones.
    It was published in 2011 by Hodder & Stoughton.
    I'd recommend this book.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Ben Whishaw latest name attached

He's now been confirmed for the role, with Dexter Fletcher directing:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a537082/ben-whishaw-to-play-freddie-mercury-in-biopic-dexter-fletcher-to-direct.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Meh, don't get why Mercury's illness is being ignored, especially given that the man himself was quite open about what he was facing (in the songs he wrote at the very least).

Just goes to show that Queen the brand is to be the main priority of this film, rather than making an honest tribute to the man. I'd surprised if this film is in any way risky, which is gas because I doubt the band were choir boys in their "formative years".

Not sure I approve of the fella from Press Gang as director

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Well, I wouldn't dismiss him on the basis of his breakout role. His directorial debut, Wild Bill, was a decent enough little film, and the producers have evidently got faith in him tackling the material the way they want it. However, while I think the casting of Whishaw is excellent news, I'm concerned that it's going to be a ridiculously sanitised version of the story.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Not sure I approve of the fella from Press Gang as director

dating yourself there Liz ;)

• Advertisement

It really does seem like they're going to waste the opportunity to do something interesting with this in favour of going with a sanitised puff piece doesn't it?

Advertisement