Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I've only just read the news. I think Rory is showing himself to be a bit of a spoilt brat. Anyway, back to the golf!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,374 ✭✭✭irishgeo

ForeRight wrote: »
    Looks like he came to the realisation of what I called months ago. He knew she would baloon when she got confortable and stopped the tennis. She is very big boned.

This is what out question the post of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He should go for kirilenko next. Om nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Looks like Olazabal will have McIlroy to be walking out with in the Ryder cup opening ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Backing him again for all the majors!!!!! :-) an egagement is like a trail run, if it doesn't fit them, its never gonna fit.

Have feeling Rory is going to have a great year, now that he's free & single again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Le Requin wrote: »
    Is he really going to do any better than Wozniacki? I'd have my doubts tbh
    are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

WHO CARES!!

Adults break up all the time, move on, its their business, lets play golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Said on earlier post on the golf/bets couple of months ago that couldn't really see R winning a major this year for various reasons.

If I were in his (golf) shoes, then would just take a year out and do what that young tom daly (diving chap) is doing, a bit of backpacking, tv shows, parachute jumps, surfing, travel, boozin n' drinkin along with maybe.... a couple of tattoos, full moon parties, HarleyD it across the #66, boat up to the northern lights, quick spaceflight, swim with the dolphins, hey try anything to get the mojo back!

There's another 25yrs of competitive golf left to play, if 'playing the game of golf' ever feels like 'work', take a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

It must be hard on both of them seeing as it is so public, but I guess thats the price you have to pay for living the celebrity lifestyle..He should look on the bright side, he will be golfing over the weekend with no one to nag him about what time he will be home at and was he out drinking with the lads !!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

are you serious?

You can not be serious!! ....(I'll get my coat!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

So much for his first victory of 2014

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

So much for his first victory of 2014

Seriously? You think this will prevent him winning for the rest of the year? Ha! Yeah he will do sh*t this week... he tends not to do well here anyway but wins will come this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

rodge68 wrote: »
    It must be hard on both of them seeing as it is so public, but I guess thats the price you have to pay for living the celebrity lifestyle..He should look on the bright side, he will be golfing over the weekend with no one to nag him about what time he will be home at and was he out drinking with the lads !!

Dya reckon when she rings , he says "i'm just starting the back 9" so he can have a few sneaky ones with the lads at the bar? She responds with "you liar, you've just bunkered yourself at 18" (not a euphanism!).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Seriously? You think this will prevent him winning for the rest of the year? Ha! Yeah he will do sh*t this week... he tends not to do well here anyway but wins will come this year.

LOL I'm jesting at the tweet he made back in January when he announced it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

LOL I'm jesting at the tweet he made back in January when he announced it.

Haha .. sorry - I get it now!! :o

Video of his press conference today here... must be hard having your personal life played out in the media!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Haha .. sorry - I get it now!! :o

Video of his press conference today here... must be hard having your personal life played out in the media!

Don't think I'd put any money on him this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

This fella was meant to be a world class golf player. 1 season wonder it seems. In the headlines for his personal life or making excuses for not being able to find the hole ie his club is too different to what it was. Put it in the hole Rory, like you used to. Sick of him at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

are you serious?

Yes but I'm biased as I have a thing for her :o :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Le Requin wrote: »
    Yes but I'm biased as I have a thing for her :o :pac:

I only thanked that as some form of pity :)

Le Requin, I don't know you, but you can definitely do better than her

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Quote from the Indo:

As he left the interview room, the lady from the New York Times shook her head and said: “How impressive was that. Everyone knows how hard it is to break up. There were moments there all I wanted to do was go up and give him a hug.”

:o

Still, he got to play in a fourball with Peter Schmeichel, Phil Neville and Teddy Sheringham and they gave him a Man U jersey which I'm sure cheered him up.

rmc9.jpg

I remember being told years ago that there always comes a point in a relationship where you either break up or get married. There were some rumours late last year that they'd broken up and then a little later they got engaged. I suspect that this may have been a case of making the wrong choice and then correcting it.

Good luck to him, it's a tough decision for anyone to make but he probably needs to settle himself with his game first. He's still young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

He is famous for being famous at this stage, might as well just go on the reality TV circuit, date a Kardashian for a while, do celebrity big brother etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Sympathy for the break up alright even if it did look like a car crash in slow motion for the last 6 months.

But none for the media element. He/they brought that on himself. Plenty of similar or higher profile sports stars get on with their personal lives without letting the world look in on it through twitter, media photo ops, or press conferences. Maybe they'd still be together if they hadnt chosen to do so in such public glare.

More importantly, for his golf, it shows he is too caught up with being rich and famous rather than the best golfer he can be, to really join the list of greats that his talents suggests he should. Maybe this move will jolt him towards that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,776 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Got into car and it was on Joe Duffy "Jesus" - I thought for a second somebody had died or something had happened to him.

Fair enough we can talk about it , because - golf is a big deal or Rory a big deal for us. But the National Broadcaster having busybody aul lads talking about him on RTE Radio 1.

We don't know Rory - but we have all expected for a while , he is still emotionally young - he is young. I think there is no doubt - and a bit strange to see it played out in a lad in his mid 20s - that if you are emotionally not right - your golf seems to suffer - well for some lads. He is one of them - we are just not use to seeing that in Top Top sport stars.

I hope this - gets him to go into overdrive. Particularly with Tiger out. He should be dominating some of the lads picking up majors.

Put it behind him now - and we will see him go up a gear now (IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

She did get two Par Three comps at Augusta out of it. Not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

He must be judged by the professionally high standards that he has set himself.

Considering professional golf standards have increased massively by the depth of highly skilled golfers in the last 20 odd years, I would believe that Rory with two majors is well up there considering his age and time on tour.

I just hope this thread doesn't turn into the zealot filled thread like the padraig Harrington one*

*grabs tin hat and goes to his happy place

• Registered Users Posts: 20,776 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I honestly think if Rory - had not got so much other stuff going on - he could have 4 or 5 majors by now.

I'm not overly impressed with some of the major wins in last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Be interesting to see the effect it will have on his game... I wouldn't be so surprised to see him turn it around and win a major before the year is over and then the media will have a field day about it because of the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Interesting that this is what it takes to get this thread active, last post before today was in January. He should really start keeping his private life private. Adam Scott gets married in secret and nobody even knows about it until a month after it happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Twitter is an open sore of the internet. Doubt Adam Scott has an account.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement