Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭puma90

Just applied there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Interesting. I've applied for the TCO too.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Malarkey101

Shame its not across more departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Gomer Pyle

43 hours a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Gomer Pyle wrote: »
    43 hours a week?

= €9.36 per hour, a fabulous 71c more than the minimum wage. Dunnes, Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, etc pay more than that:mad::mad::mad:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Does that 43 hrs include breaks!?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Does that 43 hrs include breaks!?

Should include breaks, but not Lunch Hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

So about 8-12.30 and 1.30-5.30... Long aul day for not much money!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Shame its not across more departments.

:confused:

It's across the whole public service.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    So about 8-12.30 and 1.30-5.30... Long aul day for not much money!

43 is the hours of attendance, the working week is a 37-hour week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Malarkey101

:confused:

It's across the whole public service.

Ah yea maybe you're right I thought it was just for the department of public expenditure and reform from what was said in work today and also if you look at the employing department on the job advertisement. But hopefully you're right worked in a few departments in the past I wouldnt mind going back to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

= €9.36 per hour, a fabulous 71c more than the minimum wage. Dunnes, Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, etc pay more than that:mad::mad::mad:.

I'm earning €7.30 an hour at the moment - I'd gladly take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

With all the complaining aside, would it be still hard to get? I'm sure that if you got in the door at all it would be a job for life?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭number13

Does anyone have a link to pay scale ? 21k not great money any know what the take home money would be ? Just graduated with a law degree does anyone think I would be better off waiting for the graduate positions

id imagine around 350 a week

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭number13

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    id imagine around 350 a week

What ? 350 is crap by the time you drive to work . What way does the increments go ? I'd imagine the money goes up pretty quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

With all the complaining aside, would it be still hard to get? I'm sure that if you got in the door at all it would be a job for life?
    While it is intended to fill permanent posts through this competition, offers of temporary positions may also be made in some cases.

You also have to successfully pass your probation period.

Apparently 15,000 applied for the recent TCO competition so going by that then yes I would imagine getting a position will be difficult. They also have not mentioned how many positions will be available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I'm at clerical officer grade, I earn 20859 per year, which for me is 1500 a month.
    Increments don't kick in until after at least a year and a half as far as I know. Haven't got one myself yet anyway.

number13 wrote: »
    What ? 350 is crap by the time you drive to work . What way does the increments go ? I'd imagine the money goes up pretty quickly

WHAT?! Don't you know our public servants are grossly overpaid...

(remember you said those words if in a couple of years yo're not a civil servant and planning to bash their pay! ;))

• Advertisement

number13 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to pay scale ? 21k not great money any know what the take home money would be ? Just graduated with a law degree does anyone think I would be better off waiting for the graduate positions

If you mean the AO positions then there was already a few of them competitions at the end of last year (first recruitment in several years) so no guarantee there will be more anytime soon. Not all of them people have been put in jobs yet afaik.

anyone any idea when these positons will be filled?

anyone any idea when these positons will be filled?

Online aptitude, supervised aptitude and interview if successful. I would hazard a guess at 3 months from the time the tests start.

Thanks but that doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever
    NRP - Clerical officer - PCC

20,859 - 21,830 - 22,805 - 23,778 - 24,752 - 25,724 - 26,672 - 27,619 - 28,569 - 29,515 - 30,456 - 31,924 - 33,078 - 33,607

That is the yearly increments:

i.e. Year 1 €20,859, Year 2 €21,830 etc.

Thanks redout, poor money at the beginning but I suppose if you got in the door it would be a career. Would there be an element to 'who you know' about this?

Thanks redout, poor money at the beginning but I suppose if you got in the door it would be a career. Would there be an element to 'who you know' about this?

I really couldn't say. Certainly in the past the entire government/civil service was rife with cronyism. Many would argue that it still is, especially in fields such as foreign affairs and third secretary i.e. diplomat positions. People believe that a lot of government jobs are 'gone' before they are even advertised.

This kind of talk nowadays really grinds my gears.

The first test is an online aptitude test, is "who you know" gonna fix that for you?

The second stage is a supervised aptitude test (where you're out unless you can deliver a result similar to the unsupervised online one). Is "who you know" gonna fix that for you?

The next round is an interview with a panel of more than one person. Is "who you know" gonna fix that for you?

If you know that many people that well you'd wanna set your sights higher than a CO job...!

I hope your right Barney Simpson!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

As far as I know the 43 includes lunch breaks, so 37 working hours.

Advertisement