Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Saved my favorite photo ‘till last from the walk up Croghan mtn today,10 minutes drive from Arklow Co Wicklow

b16e9848649df62f5265bbe2f8cc8d76.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Autochange wrote: »
    The photos are lovely,

Now where are the coldest parts of the country predicted to be? I can see traffic being a nightmare tomorrow morning especially in the midlands and west.

The roads in parts of Connacht and the Midlands will be treacherous in the morning. Its really neither safe nor appropriate that school children (and their parents/carers) who have to deal with treacherous conditions will still be expected to travel for school unless ME issues a Red warning, according to Dept of Education who say that schools will only be closed if such a warning is issued.

This reliance on the "Red Warning" system is not appropriate because they are issued on a county by county basis. Using counties as the basis for these warnings takes no account of the local nature of weather conditions- for example Clifden and Ballinasloe in Co Galway would both be operating under the same warning levels even though local conditions might be vastly different (as was the case today).

While I like the graduated warning system, there needs to be a better system whereby they can be applied on a more detailed level than county. With the detail of weather maps that have been demonstrated here today (temperature levels being presented geographically like isobars or contours) surely townlands could be used as they are already well mapped across the whole country. Then if we want to see how forecasts/ warnings will apply at a county or province level, it should easily be aggregated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I think I was a bit too close to the sea to get much snow, just one inch. I'm just 3 miles south west of Athenry.
    I got a good bit more in January 2015. But I took a trip to loughrea inland & the amount of snow increased dramatically to about 5 inches.
    I thought the wind direction was north easterly so i don't know how the sea had such an affect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Any traces of snow totally gone now in the suburbs of Waterford City. Cloud cover keeping the temp at 1.7c. Delighted to have got the snow we did but a bit disappointed it thawed so fast. At least my 5 years old twins had a chance to get out in it and have a laugh. Onwards and upwards for the rest of the Winter

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

7pm
    Mount Dillon -4 degrees.
    Markree -3
    Ballyhaise,Claremorris,Dunsany,and Knock -2.

(I can confirm that roads in and around Castlebar are lethal right now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

The kids out on the roads here out emptying bottles of water onto the path and roads an hour ago...... turned into an ice rink an hour later

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

The kids out on the roads here out emptying bottles of water onto the path and roads an hour ago...... turned into an ice rink an hour later

Very silly

Thanks for that. Can you post the link of the site you are using please.

weather.us according to the screenshot. Here's a link to one of the forecasts on the site:

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/laoighis/temperature.html

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Very silly

Lethal!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Lethal!!!!!
    You must have no consideration towards road users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

-3.6 in Westport on my station. Lovely night out. It will be treacherous in the morning. Both secondary schools closed. Reasonable decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Thanks for that. Can you post the link of the site you are using please.

In the bottom right of the image - www.weather.us

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    You must have no consideration towards road users

:confused:

Lethal as in dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    The roads in parts of Connacht and the Midlands will be treacherous in the morning. Its really neither safe nor appropriate that school children (and their parents/carers) who have to deal with treacherous conditions will still be expected to travel for school unless ME issues a Red warning, according to Dept of Education who say that schools will only be closed if such a warning is issued.

This reliance on the "Red Warning" system is not appropriate because they are issued on a county by county basis. Using counties as the basis for these warnings takes no account of the local nature of weather conditions- for example Clifden and Ballinasloe in Co Galway would both be operating under the same warning levels even though local conditions might be vastly different (as was the case today).

While I like the graduated warning system, there needs to be a better system whereby they can be applied on a more detailed level than county. With the detail of weather maps that have been demonstrated here today (temperature levels being presented geographically like isobars or contours) surely townlands could be used as they are already well mapped across the whole country. Then if we want to see how forecasts/ warnings will apply at a county or province level, it should easily be aggregated.

Its not reliant on a red warning system. The schools board of management will make the decision tomorrow which is exactly the way it should work in a situation like this where local conditions vary wildly. Schools in all the areas with snows will make their own assessments the same as they have always done. The red warning blanket closures by the Dept of Education are usually during the time of the actual alert and are only a very recent phenomenan

For example In Kildare there hasn't been much snow however my school is up, then down a very very steep hill and as such if the temperatures for tonight come off we may not be able to get to the school safely. In such a situation the Principal calls it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Searchers

Camera phone snap from Cruagh Wood earlier today, looking over Dublin. Really clear view of the Mournes in the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I'm a bit surprised about predicted lows tonight. With quite a strong wind I would think a general 0 to -3 is about right.
    I can't see any lower unless the gale calms down

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Searchers wrote: »
    Camera phone snap from Cruagh Wood earlier today, looking over Dublin. Really clear view of the Mournes in the distance.

Fabulous picture thx

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HankSchrader

-3c , dp -5.9c, temp. trending -0.6c/hr, apparent temp -5.7c :eek:

North of Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Any traces of snow totally gone now in the suburbs of Waterford City. Cloud cover keeping the temp at 1.7c. Delighted to have got the snow we did but a bit disappointed it thawed so fast. At least my 5 years old twins had a chance to get out in it and have a laugh. Onwards and upwards for the rest of the Winter

www.waterfordcityweather.com

It was great while it lasted. I was in Winterval today and up on the Waterford Eye at about three oclock and was amazed to see the snow coverage across the roofs, fields and especially over towards the old Ardree across the bridge, even though it had all melted in the City.. bring on the next rollercoaster ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Used to do that as a kid so I can't condemn it.
    Many a morning the milkman or postman nearly came a cropper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

I cannot believe people on the M7 and M8 are tailgating in these conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I'm a bit surprised about predicted lows tonight. With quite a strong wind I would think a general 0 to -3 is about right.
    I can't see any lower unless the gale calms down

It was -6 in Antrim an hour ago

Searchers wrote: »

Holy long distance Batman! Thats a fine shot. It's amazing how far south you can go and still see the Mournes when the visibility is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

RoscommonIMAG10022_zpsj4yop0xg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

Some really cool snow pics posted here today.
    It started off as light sleet here about 2.45 last night then turned to wet snow for a few hours that left a light covering on the grass and a layer of slush on the concrete and road. It all but thawed early this morning.

Its not reliant on a red warning system. The schools board of management will make the decision tomorrow which is exactly the way it should work in a situation like this where local conditions vary wildly. Schools in all the areas with snows will make their own assessments the same as they have always done. The red warning blanket closures by the Dept of Education are usually during the time of the actual alert and are only a very recent phenomenan

For example In Kildare there hasn't been much snow however my school is up, then down a very very steep hill and as such if the temperatures for tonight come off we may not be able to get to the school safely. In such a situation the Principal calls it.

I take your points, and perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my main argument. The trust of my point was that

a) I like the coloured warning system in principle (very useful to provide guidance to us all in terms of when weather or other phenomena might impact daily activities.
    b) Applying the warnings at a county level does not take local conditions into account. Therefore
    c) A means of applying the warnings to townlands rather than counties needs to be considered.

I get the point that Principals/Boards of Management have decided previously whether local conditions force a school closure. Maybe I picked it up wrong, but an earlier news report was suggesting DoE had said that schools would remain open UNLESS a red warning was issued by M.E.

In any case, without using a warning system, when an individual school decides not to open, how are parents supposed to know in advance of sending their children out onto the roads? That's why we need a system that defines these arrangements more clearly. For example, if either the school or your home is defined as in a "Red Warning Area", then no school.. Otherwise, schools will open as planned. Clearly, DoE could issue an over- riding instruction at any time (even if warnings have not gone Red) if it considers the potential dangers to be high enough.

Regardless, I hope everyone remains safe in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ascophyllum

TomOnBoard wrote: »

I agree with you, thankfully some schools in West Mayo have decided to close, sun doesnt rise til 8.45 tomorrow, mobilising thousands of students in the dark on guaranteed icy country roads would result in some injury at least. Also the school environs, paths, driveways etc. would be very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Light snow shower at Derry Eglington airport now.

METAR EGAE 101950Z 21005KT 9000 -SHSN SCT022 M00/M02 Q0985=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Some amazing pics and so happy for everyone who got snow! But its so hard not to be bitter when it seems like you're in one of few places in ireland that didn't get it :(

Advertisement