Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Nice covering this morning in craughwell but by far the best iv seen on my drive today was loughrea to ballinasloe on the old dublin road it was fairly extream council out plowing the roads and near 2 foot high in the edges and middle after they were done. Around kilreekil was the worst 2010 material.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

9pm.... its getting cold

Mount Dillon -4
    Markree -4
    Ballyhaise -3
    Athenry -3
    Claremorris -2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Hovering around -1.7/-1.8 in Limerick city at the moment. I was down in Kerry for the weekend and was very disapointed to return to a snow free Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

[QUOTE= I was down in Kerry for the weekend and was very disapointed to return to a snow free Limerick.[/QUOTE]

Same as that, I came back from Kerry this evening snow free but definitely much colder here in North Cork/South Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭elvis99

Few from today, just south of Finny (other-side of the lake in photo), Galway/Mayo border.

The depth measurement of just over 6 inches was at 78m asl.

Easily one of the best events here since December 2000 Polar low event. Have to commend the performance of the HIRLAM and various short range models. I was initially very sceptical of the forecast amounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Can anyone explain what exactly is the temperature that is quoted in all these reports. Is it air temperature right on the ground, 2 metres above the ground or something else. Or is it the temp of the ground itself, or something else entirely?

I just went out with my Chinese temperature gun thing (with the IR/red laser built in) and found the following readings:

The ground itself: -7
    A metal stand for a patio brolly: -11
    An empty gas cylinder: -9
    Ice on the top of a bucket of water: -10

Accuweather is showing my location as being at -2.

Confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

A lot of disappointed dubs on here today. I live in rathfarnham so I went up to ticknock with the kids and their was plenty of snow up there at the first car park about 200m. Drove the car as far as the snow line and then walked the rest. The kids had a great time and when they started feeling cold we left.
    Off work tomorrow using my last holiday of the year so might pop up again while the kids are in school.
    It was actually nice getting to the snow but not having it in your garden and walking the slush into your house anytime you pop out.
    Enjoying a nice Rioja from Lidl now after the kids went to bed shattered.

Met hourly reports are air temperature ,At automatic stations and at the airports temperatures are measured by means of platinum resistance thermometer, at other locations the temperature is read by means of a mercury-filled thermometer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Currently -2 and drizzling rain in SW Donegal, typical.

Pangea wrote: »

now thats annoying to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Can anyone explain what exactly is the temperature that is quoted in all these reports. Is it air temperature right on the ground, 2 metres above the ground or something else. Or is it the temp of the ground itself, or something else entirely?

It's the air temperature at 1.5 metres above a grassy surface. On nights like this the ground temperature will be a lot lower

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

It's the air temperature at 1.5 metres above a grassy surface. On nights like this the ground temperature will be a lot lower

So the readings I got outside make some sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

The M8 from about the Cashel Services to Cork is absolutely fine. The temperature rises from 0°C to +2°C in Cork.

There's serious risk of ice on the M7 through from Kildare to the M8 exit and on the M8 until about Tipperary.

The surfaces are well treated but the small roads, including into some of the services have compacted, refrozen snow.

There's also frozen compacted snow lying in some of the toll lanes (notably the express lane (which is closed))on the M7 beyond Portlaoise. Be very careful approaching them.

I had a few absolute muppets tailgating and also overtaking without fully entering the fast lane because they thought there was ice in it! I had a car one overtake me and then swirve right in on top of me!

I was driving through and conditions in NI today too and similarly ridiculous behaviour.

A small % of people really need a LOT more cop on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Woke up to a lovely dumping of snow this morning on the Laois/Kilkenny border. It started to change from rain to snow around 5am. Lots of unprepared folks around me this morning, which I always fail to comprehend. Some funny sights.:D A slight thaw towards lunchtime, but once the sun started to go down so did the temps and the slushy sound from cars turned to a crunch and now crackle. Local schools have already texted to say they are shut tomorrow.

Whether it's snow/slush or a wet road these low temps will obviously bring crappy conditions in the morning. A nice snow treat though.:D My only gripe would be the way some stupid people drive in conditions like today. I watched drivers from my living room window drive at stupid speeds in an attempt to get through snow and still get stuck. Saw a poor cat get splattered by a driver that lost control. Personally I took the advice from ME and this forum. In all day. Warm and safe. Best of luck to all in the snow zone that's turning into the ice zone. Just be carefull.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

tempresult_fvg1.gif

You can see those showers clearly here. Up tp 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭prosaic

I just went out with my Chinese temperature gun thing (with the IR/red laser built in) and found the following readings:

The ground itself: -7
    A metal stand for a patio brolly: -11
    An empty gas cylinder: -9
    Ice on the top of a bucket of water: -10

Accuweather is showing my location as being at -2.

Confused!

The ground is going to be emitting heat, so that's warmer.
    The sky will be like having a very very cold freezer overhead: Infrared radiation from obects go up into the sky but very little infrared radiation comes back down so the net effect is cooling. If you have something isolated from surrounding, e.g sitting in a hollowed styrofoam container, open to the sky, it will get very cold.
    You can add a few more variables into the mix: how reflective the surface is in the infrared, orientation to the sky/ground/surroundings, humidity in the air, other conduction, convection paths for heat.
    Do a few experiments. It's fun.
    Turn your thermometer to the sky. It might read -50 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Temperature had gotten down as far as -1.7c here in West Clare, however has risen now as high as -1.0c. Looks like a thaw could set in before morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Hoping I might get to see some more drifts tomorrow but getting around could be tricky.

Some more like this would be nice

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/939863505662021632

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Pangea wrote: »

Snowing nicely here in Northwest Donegal right now ðŸ˜

So the readings I got outside make some sense?

Yes, things like a metal pole, bucket, car roof, etc., will radiate out heat very quickly in the form of longwave radiation on a clear night, with no cloud and low water vapour to radiate this heat back.

Air is not a good conductor, so while the air close to these objects does cool eventually, air further away (e.g. 1.5 m away from the cold ground) takes a lot longer to cool.

Take a look at tomorrow morning's grass minimum temperature reports. They will most likely be 5-10 degrees less than the minimum 1.5-metre air temperature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

now thats annoying to be fair

Starting to change to wet snow now, the rain has frozen on the ground, lethal driving conditions..

-7 at Belfast Aldergrove now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Looks like Monday night will be another severely cold night for the UK, -12c for a second consecutive night. Been a long while with minimums as low as that for a consecutive period.

https://twitter.com/bbcweather/status/939959205263478784

It's hovering around 0c in UK midlands for hours, warmer than a lot of places recently quoted and it just hasn't stopped snowing all day, sometimes at different intensity.

Some amount of disruption tomorrow I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

I can feel a draught in my room, think from the corner of 1 of the windows! Baltic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

The BBC forecast earlier showed plenty of showers moving down later in the night but mostly falling as rain though.
    Unless the temperatures rise the roads could be lethal if it falls on to frozen ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Funny how all the Met Eireann bashers who were on here when it was raining heavily between 10pm and 1am last night disappeared today.. Melted away much more quickly than the snow:p

Some ridiculous bashing on here last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭giveitholly

nagdefy wrote: »
    Funny how all the Met Eireann bashers who were on here when it was raining heavily between 10pm and 1am last night disappeared today.. Melted away much more quickly than the snow:p

Some ridiculous bashing on here last night.
    Exactly well said

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

5 below and freezing out there.

S.Sligo
    90m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Is it likely that this type of event could be typical this winter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

-1°c here in Cork. Frost on the grass and just starting to form on the roofs of the cars, only a thin layer though so musnt have been below freezing for long.

Advertisement