Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Nice to see all the snow pictures, same contrast here -- bare ground at valley floor, bits of snow just above us and 20-30 cm cover in mountain passes that are about 600 metres higher in elevation (we're at 450 m).

Apologies to Kildare and nearby readers who missed out on the snowfest southwest and west of you, guidance was right on that detail and my convoluted thinking was wrong.

Otherwise fairly pleased with outcome, I do try to absorb as much insight as possible from these threads in advance of storms of any kind so keep sharing your perspectives, it makes for a better boards forecast which I hope is usually a consensus (whenever I stray from it I usually regret it).

Next event of minor interest may be widely scattered snow showers late Wednesday into Thursday giving local 2-4 cm coverings (most likely in Donegal and nearby counties).

ECM showing strong wind potential for night of 18-19 which was not showing up on the GFS 12z run but needs to be watched. There again, strongest in the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Anyone get up near Galtymore today?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Just had a light snow shower ere in West roscommon. Surprised as there's nothing showing on the radar. Even though it was very light it was enough to turn all the slush white and if more showers come through the night it could top up last night's snow very nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Put the bins out for tomorrow, bitterly cold -7c. No snow but heavy frost and freezing fog all day here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

nagdefy wrote: »
    Funny how all the Met Eireann bashers who were on here when it was raining heavily between 10pm and 1am last night disappeared today.. Melted away much more quickly than the snow:p

Some ridiculous bashing on here last night.

Just regarding that none of them had the (snow)balls to come back on and admit they were wrong:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I can just about post after my disappointment of last night , I jest ,

Newbridge had no lying snow but my warehouse is in Portarlington 25 mins away and I had to drop in this evening to grab something , nothing in the Curragh , or the M7 , nothing in Monesterevin than suddenly on the road into Port the place was white, full on covering , the snow boarderline must have been pretty close to me ,

Was it the onshore breeze from The Irish Sea than done me or the Dub / Wicklow mountains ?

I know one of the predicted snowfall depth charts had nothing for Kildare and it ended up spot on which is a surprise .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I think the location of the rain-snow line was a combination of

(a) inflow of somewhat milder air from Irish Sea (somewhat being the operative word) making just enough inroads to cover most of Kildare and Meath

(b) rainshadow effects of low-level easterly flow hitting higher ground and dropping all moisture on peaks and eastern slopes

(c) to the extent that the western low was throwing moisture into the complex mix, it only reached as far as Offaly and Laois.

(d) bad luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Newbridge had no lying snow but my warehouse is in Portarlington 25 mins away and I had to drop in this evening to grab something , nothing in the Curragh , or the M7 , nothing in Monesterevin than suddenly on the road into Port the place was white, full on covering , the snow boarderline must have been pretty close to me ,

Was it the onshore breeze from The Irish Sea than done me or the Dub / Wicklow mountains ?

I know one of the predicted snowfall depth charts had nothing for Kildare and it ended up spot on which is a surprise .
    Was traveling home from port this morning with plenty of snow on ground got about halfway between port and Monasterevin bang no snow it was just like a line had been drawn really weird and then as you said nothing from that point onwards into Co Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

(a) inflow of somewhat milder air from Irish Sea (somewhat being the operative word) making just enough inroads to cover most of Kildare and Meath

(b) rainshadow effects of low-level easterly flow hitting higher ground and dropping all moisture on peaks and eastern slopes

(c) to the extent that the western low was throwing moisture into the complex mix, it only reached as far as Offaly and Laois.

(d) bad luck

Everyone who misses out always articulates (d)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Snowing in Letterkenny right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

(d) bad luck

So we were doomed right from the off ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Same story here near Maynooth, not even a hint of snow this morning yet lots of cars driving by with deep snow on their roofs and the mountains in the distance all white. All credit again to the met who did a great job of such a difficult and marginal forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

11pm met reports

Gurteen -5
    Mount Dillon -4
    Markree -4
    Athenry and Ballyhaise -3 along with several more stations

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I wish we had all the weather warnings like this one. ;)

435936.jpg

435941.jpg

435942.jpg

435943.jpg

435944.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

joujoujou wrote: »
    I wish we had all the weather warnings like this one. ;)

435936.jpg

435941.jpg

435942.jpg

435943.jpg

435944.jpg

Wow!! Stunning photos thx for posting

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

Starting to snow a little here again in Mayo a little sleety though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Wow!! Stunning photos thx for posting
    You're welcome. :)

435951.jpg

435952.jpg

435953.jpg

435954.jpg

435955.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Temp/dewpoint -8/-9 °C at Aldergrove now

METAR EGAA 102350Z 16003KT CAVOK M08/M09 Q0986=

Lough Fea (225 m) has 6 cm of lying snow and Ballypatrick Forest (156 m) has 4 cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

12am met reports

a huge range in temperature across the country from -6 in Gurteen to +6 in Malin head.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Just gone above freezing point here in West Clare, +0.1c here now, up from a low of -1.7c.

Disappointed, probably won't see a frost in the morning! That coupled with no snow accumulation is a real kick in the face!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

-9c at Belfast Aldergrove.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Had the exact same experience in 2010 travelling home from a wedding in Killarney. Green fields with white-topped hills all the way from south of Limerick, then crossing the Munster//Leinster line we went back into the freezer. Nothing had changed from 48hrs earlier, snow depths everything was the same.

Tipped -4.5c a few moments ago. Everything is rigid ice, even the snow cover is a crust. Still a slight, but significant northerly blowing. It will be very interesting to see the 9am reports.

Danno wrote: »
    Tipped -4.5c a few moments ago. Everything is rigid ice, even the snow cover is a crust. Still a slight, but significant northerly blowing. It will be very interesting to see the 9am reports.

Even more of note is Johnstown hit -7.1c (north Kilkenny) moments ago. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Has anyone driven in Dublin tonight yet? I’m dreading driving to work at half 5 this morning if it’s going to be icy. I’m only a new driver and have never driven with ice on the road before

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm in North Kildare with no lying snow and it's currently -5.7..... Did not expect temperatures this low and there are still many hours to go for it to drop further

I am in a frost hollow though

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Fistycuffs

Anyone have any tips for de-icing a driveway or path if it is really bad?
    Anyone know how Tuesday morning early looks in Galway city?
    I have to bring a friend whose recently broke his back, shoulder and ribs to an appointment Tuesday at 8am. He's not steady at all on his feet, still in braces and casts and hasn't been outside the house since he's got out of hospital. I can't sleep tonight worrying how we are going to manage the driveway to the car. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

If it's relatively dry but really icy and slippy put socks on over his shoes - they work brilliantly on ice to give grip...fluffy socks even more so, or sports socks inside out...much cheaper than crampons or those ice soles you fit on shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Fistycuffs wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips for de-icing a driveway or path if it is really bad?
    Anyone know how Tuesday morning early looks in Galway city?
    I have to bring a friend whose recently broke his back, shoulder and ribs to an appointment Tuesday at 8am. He's not steady at all on his feet, still in braces and casts and hasn't been outside the house since he's got out of hospital. I can't sleep tonight worrying how we are going to manage the driveway to the car. :(

Put plenty of salt down on the areas that you want to clear. Salt water has a lower freezing value than fresh water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

-4 C here bitterly cold with widespread ice and remnant snow from earlier. Expect large amounts of idiots driving like loons as per usual in the morning....

Limerick / Tipperary border

Ps hope the gritters have been out.

Advertisement