Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭bobbyss

We often hear sbout how parents are pursued about non attendance of their kids from school by the state. Is it possible to FOI stuff about how the EWOs dealt with her absence from school?

What lengths did they go to to get her to attend? Were there any prosecutions of parents/guardians? I would sense no. Why not? Did the state fail miserably?

By her own admission she almost seemed to boast about not going to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,912 ✭✭✭tom1ie

tom1ie wrote: »

She doesn't ??? How come ??

I bleeding do and she's on a touch more I'd say!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/firms-run-by-rts-top-earners-sitting-on-substantial-cash-piles-35995720.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Sadly, in this day and age, its fashionable for the "famous" to get behind these "causes" and supprt the "downtrodden" and "helpless" in society.

This whole story boils my p1ss. When I think of my father out working, day in and day out, outdoors in every type of conceivable weather. At one point, going to work suffering from pneumonia for fear he might lose his job. For 50 years. Getting made redundant in the 80's and it nearly killing him from a mental health perspective. Refusing social welfare because he had pride in himself as he considered being a provider his job.

How times have changed. And for the worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

bobbyss wrote: »
    We often hear sbout how parents are pursued about non attendance of their kids from school by the state. Is it possible to FOI stuff about how the EWOs dealt with her absence from school?

What lengths did they go to to get her to attend? Were there any prosecutions of parents/guardians? I would sense no. Why not? Did the state fail miserably?

By her own admission she almost seemed to boast about not going to school.

There's a tacit acceptance that Traveller children won't go to school and seemingly little impetus to do anything about it:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/traveller-children-would-not-attend-mainstream-school-30933374.html
    It found the parents of Traveller boys in the town had little interest in sending them to secondary school once they had made their Confirmation.

Instead, they were very keen for them to go into apprenticeships with their fathers and learn a trade.

According to the education and training board, the parents also indicated that from the age of 12 or 13 a Traveller girl "will be preparing for her future, which is marriage".

It said: "If the girl is in school she is seen by a potential future husband as a child and this will put her at a disadvantage to other girls within the Traveller community. She will be perceived as being 'too educated' by her community."

I found the "apprecticeships" and "learning a trade" very noteworthy there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,222 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's bloody tax evasion that!
    It's not tax evasion.

They will have to pay corporation tax of 12.5% on the earnings made by the company.
    Then for any salaries the company pays the director, the director will have to pay PAYE taxes on it too. Essentially it's a double taxation.

The only advantages are better tax structures for investments, and for pensions. So if you want to invest the money your company can do it after paying 12.5% instead of the usual ~50%. But the directors will pay the full whack of personal tax on whatever cash they withdraw as their salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,792 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

ED E wrote: »
    Probably posted already somewhere but ever time I read her name I think of this young "lady" who is remarkably similar in ways...

giphy.gif

she has done quite well for her self, a music career at present, and no kids. Has a net worth of $1.2M at the age of 15. not too bad !!

link

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's not tax evasion.

They will have to pay corporation tax of 12.5% on the earnings made by the company.
    Then for any salaries the company pays the director, the director will have to pay PAYE taxes on it too. Essentially it's a double taxation.

The only advantages are better tax structures for investments, and for pensions. So if you want to invest the money your company can do it after paying 12.5% instead of the usual ~50%. But the directors will pay the full whack of personal tax on whatever cash they withdraw as their salary.

Okay fair enough so - but why do we not get the chance to do that ??? I'm stuck with USC and PRSI and tax and getting f**k all for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SpaceRocket

To all the posters defending her and her parasitic lifestyle. Like Mags, I had a baby at 17. I didn't finish school or complete my leaving cert. I lived with my mother for a few years until I found a job which offered me some degree of progression. Then I packed up and moved out. My take home each day after paying for childcare was about 30e but I didn't care, I was paying my way, I had my own space, and I was damn proud of myself at the age of 21 to be able to do that for myself and my child. I was claiming a small amount of single parent allowance, but I had heard that rent allowance was a fast track to becomming stuck in a poverty trap, so I didn't go there. Fast forward a few years, and I decide to take an apptitude test to go to college. I got in!! So I find a job which I can work weekends (sometimes up to 24hr shifts), and during my term holidays to keep us going. All the while, I am full time in college, plus working rotational 13hr UNPAID placements for my college course. It is a huge struggle. My gas and electricity gets cut off, my mom drops us up shopping every few days as I can't afford to buy any. Childcare bill is huge. I pay all my rent in full and on time as I don't want to be homeless. So I swallow my pride and apply for rent allowance. It helps a lot, I can buy food, and have gas and electricity back. Fast forward another few years.. Today, I am self employed, I pay the higher rate of tax, I claim no welfare benefits. I am the same age as Mags now. I'm saving for a house, and I can afford to bring my child on holidays. I feel lucky every day that the welfare system ment that I could afford to go to college and better myself. I don't begrudge paying tax to go towards those in need. However, I DO begrudge Mags and the likes of her. It would be great if a political party could tackle this issue. It makes a mockery of all taxpayers AND those who are actually in need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Apparently according to some quarters we are nothing special because:
    1. We have some free time to have the audacity to watch a box set at the weekend and so we could be working harder;
    2. If we don't like it we can emigrate;
    3. She's "working full time" with the seven kids (so far);
    4. Dell and Pfizer pay more tax that a worker on 40k so we should shut up as we contribute nothing relatively speaking;
    5. A million working people pay no income tax (forgetting that means they're doing a working week for a pittance - but getting off their arses. Should be lauded not slagged off;
    6. And them some guff about "rights" - I tend to tune out at that point.

What we can assume from this poorly constructed post, is that people paying no income tax, hard working people, should be slagged off and not lauded. Sounds about right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Keyzer wrote: »
    Sadly, in this day and age, its fashionable for the "famous" to get behind these "causes" and supprt the "downtrodden" and "helpless" in society.

This whole story boils my p1ss. When I think of my father out working, day in and day out, outdoors in every type of conceivable weather. At one point, going to work suffering from pneumonia for fear he might lose his job. For 50 years. Getting made redundant in the 80's and it nearly killing him from a mental health perspective. Refusing social welfare because he had pride in himself as he considered being a provider his job.

How times have changed. And for the worse.

Yeah I remember my Dad who had worked since he was 14 becoming unemployed in the 80s, and the terror it caused him. There were literally no jobs to be had - the last recession (2008) didn't even deserve the name compared to then. We ate watery minced meat stews 6 days a week and the big treat was a scrawny chicken on Sundays. Our school coats were let down for several years so that there were different coloured hems and cuffs and school trips with class mates were simply out of the question. There was real privation for working class people who lost work those days. Not to moan about it because actually I had a lovely childhood generally, but it was formative for me seeing the anguish in my Dad's face every week he had to sign on, and the shame and stigma he felt. He would have been raging about the way things are now, but to be honest I cannot muster up the tiniest bit of rage. Money is wasted by and on these folks, for sure, but it's merely the steam off the piss compared to what is creamed off the top by global corporations, banking and finance, governments and elites. Bosses can earn so many multiples of what their workers earn now (https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/aug/16/ceo-versus-worker-wage-american-companies-pay-gap-study-2018 ) and this makes it impossible for me to scapegoat people who were born into situations where they had very little chance in the first place. Fcuk it, the whole system is shot to pieces. It's not worth a single unit measurement of my blood pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

tom1ie wrote: »

That's bloody tax evasion that!

A poor attempt at trying to demonstrate there is unfairness and injustice in all walks of life.

RTE presenters work hard for their fee's. Fee's which may be considered exorbitant in some peoples eyes but, nevertheless, they work damn hard for it. And they worked hard to get where they are today. Fair play to them I say.

You're either delusional or you know absolutely nothing about the tax system. Most likely both.

Malayalam wrote: »
    Yeah I remember my Dad who had worked since he was 14 becoming unemployed in the 80s, and the terror it caused him. There were literally no jobs to be had - the last recession (2008) didn't even deserve the name compared to then. We ate watery minced meat stews 6 days a week and the big treat was a scrawny chicken on Sundays. Our school coats were let down for several years so that there were different coloured hems and cuffs and school trips with class mates were simply out of the question. There was real privation for working class people who lost work those days. Not to moan about it because actually I had a lovely childhood generally, but it was formative for me seeing the anguish in my Dad's face every week he had to sign on, and the shame and stigma he felt. He would have been raging about the way things are now, but to be honest I cannot muster up the tiniest bit of rage. Money is wasted by and on these folks, for sure, but it's merely the steam off the piss compared to what is creamed off the top by global corporations, banking and finance, governments and elites. Bosses can earn so many multiples of what their workers earn now (https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/aug/16/ceo-versus-worker-wage-american-companies-pay-gap-study-2018 ) and this makes it impossible for me to scapegoat people who were born into situations where they had very little chance in the first place. Fcuk it, the whole system is shot to pieces. It's not worth a single unit measurement of my blood pressure.

I was lucky that my dad wasn't made redundant when it got bad in the 80s but my mum had to go back to work - still keeping an eye on me though, she became one of my dinner ladies!

I think we are better people as adults for having seen the struggles of our parents - we know what needs to be done and we learned from it.

There's a generation of kids seeing their parent (or occasionally parents) rake it in whilst doing nothing and also committing crimes and antisocial behaviour and getting away with it (and having others defend them). What they are going to take from that is sadly inevitable.

Keyzer wrote: »

A poor attempt at trying to demonstrate there is unfairness and injustice in all walks of life.

RTE presenters work hard for their fee's. Fee's which may be considered exorbitant in some peoples eyes but, nevertheless, they work damn hard for it. And they worked hard to get where they are today. Fair play to them I say.

You're either delusional or you know absolutely nothing about the tax system. Most likely both.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

I was lucky that my dad wasn't made redundant when it got bad in the 80s but my mum had to go back to work - still keeping an eye on me though, she became one of my dinner ladies!

I think we are better people as adults for having seen the struggles of our parents - we know what needs to be done and we learned from it.

There's a generation of kids seeing their parent (or occasionally parents) rake it in whilst doing nothing and also committing crimes and antisocial behaviour and getting away with it (and having others defend them). What they are going to take from that is sadly inevitable.

Well all's I know is watching my parents struggle through made me feel a fierce sense of pride and admiration for them, and a burning cynicism was born in me very young at the ''system', a cynicism that has never faltered'.

Malayalam wrote: »
    Well all's I know is watching my parents struggle through made me feel a fierce sense of pride and admiration for them, and a burning cynicism was born in me very young at the ''system', a cynicism that has never faltered'.

Very much agree - the attitude from some here makes me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

To all the posters defending her and her parasitic lifestyle. Like Mags, I had a baby at 17. I didn't finish school or complete my leaving cert. I lived with my mother for a few years until I found a job which offered me some degree of progression. Then I packed up and moved out. My take home each day after paying for childcare was about 30e but I didn't care, I was paying my way, I had my own space, and I was damn proud of myself at the age of 21 to be able to do that for myself and my child. I was claiming a small amount of single parent allowance, but I had heard that rent allowance was a fast track to becomming stuck in a poverty trap, so I didn't go there. Fast forward a few years, and I decide to take an apptitude test to go to college. I got in!! So I find a job which I can work weekends (sometimes up to 24hr shifts), and during my term holidays to keep us going. All the while, I am full time in college, plus working rotational 13hr UNPAID placements for my college course. It is a huge struggle. My gas and electricity gets cut off, my mom drops us up shopping every few days as I can't afford to buy any. Childcare bill is huge. So I swallow my pride and apply for rent allowance. It helps a lot, I can buy food, and have gas and electricity back. Fast forward another few years.. Today, I am self employed, I pay the higher rate of tax, I claim no welfare benefits. I am the same age as Mags now. I'm saving for a house, and I can afford to bring my child on holidays. I feel lucky every day that the welfare system ment that I could afford to go to college and better myself. I don't begrudge paying tax to go towards those in need. However, I DO begrudge Mags and the likes of her. It would be great if a political party could tackle this issue. It makes a mockery of all taxpayers.

and this is why the welfare system is there to help people ..acts as a fail-safe mechanism .. it allowed you to ultimately better yourself and your predicament and also showed your child that by working hard and getting an education that you don't need to be stuck in a hole .. fair kudos to you

Problem is some people utilise this mechanism to abuse it and see it as an entitlement .. it's not designed for that and should never be ..

I've worked all my life and when my children were young, both my wife and i decided that one of us should be home to care for them ..we shared that responsibility between working part time during the day and evening work .. it was tough and sometimes really struggled to pay mortgage etc .. but 20 odd years later my children have college education and work hard to provide succesfull careers for themselves.

Its about setting examples for our future generations .. and in some aspects we seem to be walking into an entitlement generation --

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Interesting you use the phrase "food chain", it's the same phrase the homeless mother of 9 in Cork used.

I am not in a food chain, I don't want to eat these people :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,880 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The Indo proclaims
    entitled
    and we are told to stop sneering by the Indo columnist :rolleyes:
    Ighgw5r.jpg?1
    n28ssAu.jpg?1

4kiM15Q.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭bobbyss

2 weeks in santa ponsa in September. Whats the betting.

Or Trabolgan in lieu.

Having put herself and her children out in the public domain means she is going to have a more public profile.

This may come back to haunt her as her movements and her new housing situation will be monitored and discussed publically.

The price of fame I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Shes going to get a house, meaning she will have taken about a million quid from the state in benefits before she turns 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

bobbyss wrote: »
    The price of fame I guess.

Surely you mean infamy...

"Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

zell12 wrote: »
    The Indo proclaims
    entitled
    Ighgw5r.jpg?1
    n28ssAu.jpg?1

4kiM15Q.jpg?1
    I never realised until this week how utterly dreadful the level of journalism is in Ireland. It seems no journalist has their finger on the pulse of what most of the working tax paying public feel about this.
    What are we sneering at? The fact that we have a welfare state where someone like Cash who contributes Jack **** to the country can still 'earn' nearly 20,000 over the average industrial wage. If that's sneering that I will sneer all that I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Okay fair enough so - but why do we not get the chance to do that ??? I'm stuck with USC and PRSI and tax and getting f**k all for it!

What do what?

They also pay USC PRSI??

zell12 wrote: »
    The Indo proclaims
    entitled
    Ighgw5r.jpg?1
    n28ssAu.jpg?1

4kiM15Q.jpg?1

What the f**k have I just read ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭blackwhite

They pay the same taxes on any money that they draw down for personal use.

The difference is that they aren't employed by RTE, they will have a fixed term contract for services, and are free to do other work in the meantime, but they end up not having any of the protections of employment law.

Any individual can try and do the same so long as they aren't employed full time with regular hours that prevent them taking other work. Switch to contracting instead of taking permanent employment, and then set up a Ltd company to do your work through.

Our HR manager at work does this. She does 2-3 days a week with us (depending on needs,etc), and does other projects/clients on the other days of the week.

What do what?

They also pay USC PRSI??

Do they ? I stand corrected if so but seems unlikely as they're not PAYE.

Edit - I withdraw that - I had no idea, and thank you to the posters for the correct information.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I never realised until this week how utterly dreadful the level of journalism is in Ireland. It seems no journalist has their finger on the pulse of what most of the working tax paying public feel about this.
    What are we sneering at? The fact that we have a welfare state where someone like Cash who contributes Jack **** to the country can still 'earn' nearly 20,000 over the average industrial wage. If that's sneering that I will sneer all that I want.

The tax paying public don't really ever do anything about it though (apart from post on forums :D )

They/We still buy the papers, elect the same politicians and accept what is happening

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Do they ? I stand corrected if so but seems unlikely as they're not PAYE.

Everyone who is subject to income tax is also subject to PRSI and USC.
    They just pay it after the end of the year in one lump some (and they can get shafted for higher rates of USC if they are non-PAYE).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

We are reveling in a housing crisis it seems. Stupid article.

I think this case has brought positives in that it restarted the welfare state discussion but Mrs Cash has been treated badly in social media. It brought out the right wing tendencies of many people but there is definitely a problem with welfare here and it's not fair on hard working taxpayers to see so much waste and entitlement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement