Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Yeah, I’m not entirely sure but when I was taking out money in Denmark in DKK what I thought was and showing up as €60 was actually €100!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

I am more surprised that you needed to go to a mechanic for an indicator bulb. Please tell me you fitted it yourself. Did he charge you?

Yes I found myself out of indicator bulbs late in the afternoon and instead of making a 15 mile round trip to the factors I called to this guys garage who was a lot nearer. It was a routine service and I didn't want to return a car with a light not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,744 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

you're wrong in the sense that you calculated the total using the xe.com rate. you never get the xe.com rate. as the site itself says :

Yeah, bingo on that.
    I had a substantial transaction from overseas hit my bank and was keeping an eye on the rate - if the BoI had put it through when I wanted them to, I'd have saved over a hundred quid. They pocketed the extra, I assume.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Not the worst but getting pretty annoying
    I started working in this place about 2 months ago and a guy I work with ( he’s on my team so see everyday) is a regular smoker like myself

Anyway I’ve only ever seen him with one box of cigarettes the whole time and whoever he’s sitting beside on the day he bums cigarettes off all day long, the last few days were myself, then my other friends in previous weeks, now I just came out to the smoking area to find him sitting with another group bumming theirs :V now this fella is literally getting his ten a day by moving around the cal centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Ugh ^^^

I have a scabby friend in the group who does that. I haven't smoked in over a decade so it doesn't affect me directly. The rest of the group is at the age that it's hard to keep up with who is a bone fide non smoker and who is quitting, who is vaping and occasionally smoking cigarettes, who has quit quitting etc.

I've noticed at any get together at all she never has tobacco and spends the entire day or evening smoking somebody else's. I get irritated just looking at her. I've been to parties where she has arrived with her own drink but for some reason drank mine for the evening instead. I never know how to say no because I'd always bring boooze for myself and then an extra bottle to give to the hosts or just generally share; make cocktails or pour shots for everyone. But it's so maddening when she is parked up beside me tucking into a nice gin for hours and meanwhile her beer sits in her bag to be brought home later.

Recently a friend of ours was turning 40 and her husband had set up a whatsapp group for planning. There were about 60 people on the group, she would have known maybe 20 and of those maybe 10 well. The group was to update about venue, time, a few people asked for some present suggestions etc. Ms Scabby sent a message to the entire group of people saying she wouldnt have a chance to get to the shop so could some 'nice human who vaped' please bring her along a little bit of liquid from their own stash. Not even a request that if someone was going to the shop to get her some and she would reimburse them. Nobody answered for ages then one girl, a friend of a friend said she had loads of different types so which in particular and she got a prompt response to bring a selection along. I cringed. At the actual party I saw her make a beeline for the free champers bucket and then not budge until presumably the well had run dry.

• Advertisement

I wish I could be a bitch and literally call these people out on it! Like ‘never have your own fags nah?’ Only to be met with ‘when I have a box you can work away on them don’t worry.. suuuure’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

There was a man who worked in the same place as me and one day when a regular and persistent "borrower" asked him to lend him a fiver he gave the perfect answer and I quote

"the fiver I have for lending out is out at the moment but as soon as it comes back you are more than welcome to it"

I suspect it had been lent to him already and not returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

A friend lent me a tenner once. He asked for it back a few weeks later. I told him I wasn't finished with it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Neighbour just had some cousins stay with her. At a family wedding a couple of weeks before, the cousin asked could he stay over with her, if he brought his two young lads up to Dublin to take in the hurling matches and do a bit of sight seeing. Price of hotels Dublin is outrageous and all that. She in her innocence thought he meant one night, maybe two max and said ok.

Turns out, he arrived on the Thursday morning and stayed over until early Monday morning. When he informed her of his arrival and departure dates, the cute hoor told her he'd already booked concert/show tickets for the Thur/Fri and Sunday nights, so she could hardly say that playing host to him for all or part of 5 days, was a bit much.

Anyway, all went well. He had a great time. When leaving, he did not even thank her or, make any comment at the fact that he had stayed for all or part of 5 days and not the weekend he had first mentioned. Didn't even occur to him to give her a bunch of flowers, or a bottle of wine, or even pop into in the Supervalu across from where she lives, to pick up an apple pie for dessert after the 4 sets of evening meals she cooked them all.

She is a generous soul, who would never expect to be given a present for an act of kindness. It was the barefaced neck of him throughout the whole weekend that really pissed her off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I started working in this place about 2 months ago and a guy I work with ( he’s on my team so see everyday) is a regular smoker like myself

Anyway I’ve only ever seen him with one box of cigarettes the whole time and whoever he’s sitting beside on the day he bums cigarettes off all day long, the last few days were myself, then my other friends in previous weeks, now I just came out to the smoking area to find him sitting with another group bumming theirs :V now this fella is literally getting his ten a day by moving around the cal centre!

But Jesus why do you put with it then? What's the point in facilitating his meanness and then bitching about online. Don't get it.

• Advertisement

But Jesus why do you put with it then? What's the point in facilitating his meanness and then bitching about online. Don't get it.

That’s the whole point of this thread buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Neighbour just had some cousins stay with her. At a family wedding a couple of weeks before, the cousin asked could he stay over with her, if he brought his two young lads up to Dublin to take in the hurling matches and do a bit of sight seeing. Price of hotels Dublin is outrageous and all that. She in her innocence thought he meant one night, maybe two max and said ok.

Turns out, he arrived on the Thursday morning and stayed over until early Monday morning. When he informed her of his arrival and departure dates, the cute hoor told her he'd already booked concert/show tickets for the Thur/Fri and Sunday nights, so she could hardly say that playing host to him for all or part of 5 days, was a bit much.

Anyway, all went well. He had a great time. When leaving, he did not even thank her or, make any comment at the fact that he had stayed for all or part of 5 days and not the weekend he had first mentioned. Didn't even occur to him to give her a bunch of flowers, or a bottle of wine, or even pop into in the Supervalu across from where she lives, to pick up an apple pie for dessert after the 4 sets of evening meals she cooked them all.

She is a generous soul, who would never expect to be given a present for an act of kindness. It was the barefaced neck of him throughout the whole weekend that really pissed her off.

Makes my blood boil reading this.. the amount of effort and energy spent hoodwinking decent folk is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

That’s the whole point of this thread buddy

I'll take that on the chin..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Katgurl wrote: »
    Ugh ^^^

I have a scabby friend in the group who does that. I haven't smoked in over a decade so it doesn't affect me directly. The rest of the group is at the age that it's hard to keep up with who is a bone fide non smoker and who is quitting, who is vaping and occasionally smoking cigarettes, who has quit quitting etc.

I've noticed at any get together at all she never has tobacco and spends the entire day or evening smoking somebody else's. I get irritated just looking at her. I've been to parties where she has arrived with her own drink but for some reason drank mine for the evening instead. I never know how to say no because I'd always bring boooze for myself and then an extra bottle to give to the hosts or just generally share; make cocktails or pour shots for everyone. But it's so maddening when she is parked up beside me tucking into a nice gin for hours and meanwhile her beer sits in her bag to be brought home later.

Recently a friend of ours was turning 40 and her husband had set up a whatsapp group for planning. There were about 60 people on the group, she would have known maybe 20 and of those maybe 10 well. The group was to update about venue, time, a few people asked for some present suggestions etc. Ms Scabby sent a message to the entire group of people saying she wouldnt have a chance to get to the shop so could some 'nice human who vaped' please bring her along a little bit of liquid from their own stash. Not even a request that if someone was going to the shop to get her some and she would reimburse them. Nobody answered for ages then one girl, a friend of a friend said she had loads of different types so which in particular and she got a prompt response to bring a selection along. I cringed. At the actual party I saw her make a beeline for the free champers bucket and then not budge until presumably the well had run dry.

Why on earth wouldnt you say something.No way would somebody be drinking my gin.I would have asked for one of her bottles for spite

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

dieselbug wrote: »
    There was a man who worked in the same place as me and one day when a regular and persistent "borrower" asked him to lend him a fiver he gave the perfect answer and I quote

"the fiver I have for lending out is out at the moment but as soon as it comes back you are more than welcome to it"

I suspect it had been lent to him already and not returned.

wonderful!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Whocanibe

"the fiver I have for lending out is out at the moment but as soon as it comes back you are more than welcome to it

Love it, I'm going to nick that one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Whocanibe wrote: »
    Love it, I'm going to nick that one :D

The ****er was probably arrested for breaking into the fiver but got off because it was a first offense. Hungry fcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 21 antrim14

sligojoek wrote: »
    A neighbour of my parents used to park his car on a hill every night and push start it in the morning. My father often put rocks under the tyres to annoy him. He also never used 1st gear as it was too hard on petrol.
    Moving off in second gear is really bad for the clutch so in the long term he is going to spend way more in repairs and replacements than he will save on petrol!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

antrim14 wrote: »
    sligojoek wrote: »
    A neighbour of my parents used to park his car on a hill every night and push start it in the morning. My father often put rocks under the tyres to annoy him. He also never used 1st gear as it was too hard on petrol.
    Moving off in second gear is really bad for the clutch so in the long term he is going to spend way more in repairs and replacements than he will save on petrol!
    That was 20 years ago. He died since. Don't think he'll be too bothered about it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

So the All Ireland semi final was on last week. Just by chance I met my friend last night who was at the match and I asked her how she got on. Turns out she'd had a great time. Her boyfriend had spent over €100 on tickets and to thank him she'd even splashed out on a hotel for the night.

Here's the thing. He didn't pay €100. In fact he didn't pay anything. Another friend of mine had got them for nothing and couldn't go so gave them to him for free.

You can imagine her surprise when I asked her about it. Something tells me someone may be about to get the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Ineedaname wrote: »
    So the All Ireland semi final was on last week. Just by chance I met my friend last night who was at the match and I asked her how she got on. Turns out she'd had a great time. Her boyfriend had spent over €100 on tickets and to thank him she'd even splashed out on a hotel for the night.

Here's the thing. He didn't pay €100. In fact he didn't pay anything. Another friend of mine had got them for nothing and couldn't go so gave them to him for free.

You can imagine her surprise when I asked her about it. Something tells me someone may be about to get the road.

Ah don't be meddling in others relationships :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

Ah don't be meddling in others relationships :/

I wasn't. I only brought it up because I assumed she knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Katgurl

antrim14 wrote: »

My mum does this. She is the world's worst driver though so I don't think it's anything to do with saving petrol.

My dad is a massive tight arse and always has been. I think this is the reason I have such a personal dislike for stinges. It is not about the money it's the joyless approach to life and not letting anyone else 'get anything off you.' When we were young, people thought we were absolutely minted and by general standards we were; huge house in a very affluent area, brand new beamer in the driveway, enormous front reception rooms decorated beautifully. You went to any of the floors higher up and they were decorated with cuts of carpet the shop was getting rid of, no heating, no hot water, walls crumbling. My mother was constantly on the verge of nervous breakdown trying to make her housekeeping stretch, keep her banger on the road, food on the table etc.

Anyway I don't see much of him the last couple of decades but for a few years we lived in the same city and I attempted with moderate success to get a relationship going again. I sold the house and moved on, taking the decent furntiure but giving anything else to a charity shop. He was horrified that I would give it away so I pointed out that he didn't seem to have space but could have anything he wanted. The charity shop doesn't take white goods so I commented I was leaving the fridge for the new people as it was new and pretty good.

Some time later I visited him at home, walked into the kitchen and what do I see; my fridge standing empty and taking up space in the middle of the room. When I query why he wanted a second fridge he said it was a good one and did I want it? He could sell it but he was willing to give it to me for free if I wanted. He kept repeating "sure look, you can have it if you want it, I wouldn't even take money off you."

Selfless to the core.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Katgurl wrote: »
    My dad is a massive tight arse and always has been. I think this is the reason I have such a personal dislike for stinges. It is not about the money it's the joyless approach to life and not letting anyone else 'get anything off you.'
    this is at the heart of the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

I've a friend who only smokes OPs, he just smokes when he's out socially. Anyway, he's the 'anti-stinge'! Buys a full pack when he's out and gives it to his smoking mate. He then bums fags off his mate the whole night but only ends up smoking half the pack. His reasoning is that if he keeps the pack, he'll just develop a habit!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,744 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

arctictree wrote: »
    I've a friend who only smokes OPs, he just smokes when he's out socially. Anyway, he's the 'anti-stinge'! Buys a full pack when he's out and gives it to his smoking mate. He then bums fags off his mate the whole night but only ends up smoking half the pack. His reasoning is that if he keeps the pack, he'll just develop a habit!

That works.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

arctictree wrote: »
    No place for stories like that in here :P

Is there a "Generous" thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

My sister is acting the bollox at the moment, as much as I love her.
    So she's a single mother in her mid 20s and currently about to finish her degree in psychology, therefore there's a lot to do. Her boy is turning 1 next month.
    Now my mother and her mother had a big fall-out a few years ago and haven't spoken since, there was a lot of really heavy stuff involved. Anyway, a few weeks ago my mom had the idea to visit her mother for a week and stay with her and talk it all out (My mother lives on the canaries, my nan in Austria). Now my mother tried to find a reasonably cheap flight connection soon enough and asked my sister if she could imagine asking the nan how she'd think about it. But my mom couldn't find a reasonable flight and had to cancel the trip for the near future and told my sister that the plan is scrapped for now. My mom doesn't have a lot of money so it's kind of a big deal to find a cheap flight.
    Now my sister couldn't keep her mouth shut and asked the nan anyway and she actually got quite excited over it... silly silly her.

Then a week later, after my mother was a bit cross with her for hyping my nan up, my sister sent her a voice message: Hey if you still consider coming, how about you fly back with me when I visit you in September, you could stay with me and look after the baby, because there's sooo much going on at college at the moment (insert: I'm a stingy b1tch and my baby is too precious to be sent to a childminder) and in exchange I'll drive you down to nan and you can meet for lunch or so.

My family drama beats your family drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

^^^
    This post belongs somewhere on boards but I'm not sure if this is the place for it.
    I've a headache from trying to follow it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I initially thought she and the sister had different mothers until there was mention of a nan

Advertisement