Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

This thread died a while back, time to bury it.

And anyone who happens to live near the burial site will start to notice a strange smell in the air, lingering...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

This thread died a while back, time to bury it.

Not really, I take it you've not read it often? It does for a few months/maybe longer then springs back into life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Not really, I take it you've not read it often? It does for a few months/maybe longer then springs back into life.

Ive been following it for a long time, always happy to see it jump back to life with new stories (real ones that is, no offence to graces7 but im sure theres a fictional thread somewhere)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

A “strange” uncle of my wife’s had said for years that if there was any way at all he would come back and let the family know of there was an afterlife.
    He’d said this plenty of times.

Time came and he passed away, wake done and he was buried.

Odd thing was a week later he was back !!

Well sort of anyway, there was an error and he’d been buried in the wrong plot. He had to be exhumed, ID verified by family member and reburied immediately.

Plenty think this was his “return”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Graces7.

So, gwan...what are the names of these places which have given you this treasuretrove of ghostly/spiritual experiences?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Jeez lads, it's a thread about the supernatural. Most of us don't believe anyway. Why attack one of the more interesting contributors?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

sweetie wrote: »
    Jeez lads, it's a thread about the supernatural. Most of us don't believe anyway. Why attack one of the more interesting contributors?

Wha'? "Attacking"?

They are interesting stories and are some are apparently documented and online.

Whats wrong with asking where they happened so we can find out more? Its a shame we have to rely on the postings of one person.

Much better to be able to do our own research for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭mistersifter

sweetie wrote: »

I think it's that the thread is supposed to be about stuff that is creepy and that genuinely (as thread title says!) happened. You don't necessarily have to believe it's supernatural, but it's meant to be stuff that did occur or that you really perceived to have occurred.

Graces seems to be writing a fiction novel just judging from the style of the posts. Nothing wrong with that, but might be better suited to a fiction writers' thread? Have enjoyed some of them nonetheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I had an experience recently and the person woke up dead....

I can't go into it too much but it was at work and he woke then passed....

I stopped reading after "reputable spiritual authorities" ... :rolleyes:

It's a thread about creepy, supernatural, odd happenings and you roll your eyes at mention of "reputable spiritual authorities"?
    I think the criticism Grace is receiving on here close to bullying. Just enjoy the stories. There's no need to read too much in to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It's a thread about creepy, supernatural, odd happenings and you roll your eyes at mention of "reputable spiritual authorities"?
    I think the criticism Grace is receiving on here close to bullying. Just enjoy the stories. There's no need to read too much in to them.

Don't be fooled, she's not so slow. But then again, have to throw in a few buzzwords here and there in this day and age #bullying.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Don't be fooled, she's not so slow. But then again, have to throw in a few buzzwords here and there in this day and age #bullying.

Of course she's not slow. I just don't understand why Graces posts get picked apart but others don't.

Of course she's not slow. I just don't understand why Graces posts get picked apart but others don't.

I didn't mean people thought she was 'slow', it's a figure of speech meaning she always knows exactly what she's at. Calculating, if you will.

I didn't mean people thought she was 'slow', it's a figure of speech meaning she always knows exactly what she's at. Calculating, if you will.

I know what you mean but I don't see that here. I don't want to drag a great thread in to discussing another person but sometimes I read a few posts and think 'that doesn't seem fair'.

I know what you mean but I don't see that here. I don't want to drag a great thread in to discussing another person but sometimes I read a few posts and think 'that doesn't seem fair'.

Fair enough. I've nothing more to add anyway, hoping the thread gets back on track also. Was flying a good few pages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,694 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

When I was younger i was fairly accident prone, split my head a few times, nasty falls etc but luckily never broke a bone. Whenever something happened my first thought was to run home for help!

I still have very vivid memories of this incident, the only such incident that ever had a creepy or unnerving aspect to it.

I was about 13 at the time, we were having a waterfight one Summer in the housing estate i grew up in. The housing estate's layout was a number of what we called squares of houses, separated by laneways.

Anyways one of the opposition team had ran through his front door to use the backgarden tap to refill his supersoaker or whatever he had. I came up with a great idea to run around the back laneway, climb up onto his shed (every house had the same shed structure in the back garden about 8ft high with a flat concrete slab roof) and catch him unawares.

The plan worked, i climbed up and began launching water balloons at him - i had a teammate who passed these up to me from the ground. When he noticed where the assault was coming from he began running my way to get me. Upon seeing this i turned to run away, forgetting where I was i fell to the ground.

It hurt like hell, what happened next was exactly as described above i got up to run home. I ran to the end of the lane and turned right, bringing me to an open area that led to the next laneway on my way home. The further i ran the more confused i got. It began to become unrecognisable and very bright. I was squinting my eyes trying to see where i needed to go. I could not make head nor tail of it though - so i decided to run back the way i came to where i had fallen for help.

According to my teammate i never moved. I was out cold on the ground. He was panicking trying to get help. My opposition teammate was getting his Mother to unlock the back gate to try and get to me quicker.

I came around and i was in their nextdoor neighbours garden and my Mam and Dad were there at this point, I was taken to hospital in an ambulance. A split head and split lip with a broken tooth too. The doctors said i was lucky to fall on my front rather than back.

I don't know where I was going, kind of pleased i turned back :D- even 20 odd years later i can remember it like it was yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Definitely unnerving. 😦

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

It's not bullying at all. In any other thread you have to stay on topic. The thread is so good, it would be a shame to see it diluted.

At the same time, I just ignore the posts in the hope the thread will go back to being creepy/unnerving, instead of causing debate about it.

It's not bullying at all. In any other thread you have to stay on topic. The thread is so good, it would be a shame to see it diluted.

At the same time, I just ignore the posts in the hope the thread will go back to being creepy/unnerving, instead of causing debate about it.

That one a couple of posts up certainly did the trick.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

That one a couple of posts up certainly did the trick.

Just got to it! Yes it did! :eek: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

This one is kind of a nice story. My dad and his brother always remember being woken up in the middle of the night by their mother crying hysterically in her room. They stood in the hallway and listened to her talking to someone but they couldn't hear anyone else. My granddad was down stairs getting ready to head to work when he heard her crying so he came back upstairs to see what was going on. Apparently her mother (who was dead several years) had woken her up to tell her that her son (my dad) would be in a really bad accident the next day but that he was going to be okay and not to worry about him.

The next day my dad was playing with his friends and a wall fell on top of him, he was in hospital for several months with broken legs, hips and head injuries but he made a full recovery. He doesn't really believe in the supernatural at all but that's the one thing that always makes him wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭screamer

I can't remember if I posted this one before but I had a dear friend who died tragically in an accident when he was young. I remember dreaming about him the night he died and we didn't know he had died. He was in my house talking to me but I couldnt hear him or understand him. Early the next morning the news came through that he had died. Since then he visits my dreams whenever anyone in my family will be in some danger the next day and I make sure to warn them.

My grandmother had a lot of weird things happen in her life, she was told once that she had psychic abilities but she was too scared to ever use them. She still experienced lots of stuff though......

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

When I was younger i was fairly accident prone, split my head a few times, nasty falls etc but luckily never broke a bone. Whenever something happened my first thought was to run home for help!

I still have very vivid memories of this incident, the only such incident that ever had a creepy or unnerving aspect to it.

I was about 13 at the time, we were having a waterfight one Summer in the housing estate i grew up in. The housing estate's layout was a number of what we called squares of houses, separated by laneways.

Anyways one of the opposition team had ran through his front door to use the backgarden tap to refill his supersoaker or whatever he had. I came up with a great idea to run around the back laneway, climb up onto his shed (every house had the same shed structure in the back garden about 8ft high with a flat concrete slab roof) and catch him unawares.

The plan worked, i climbed up and began launching water balloons at him - i had a teammate who passed these up to me from the ground. When he noticed where the assault was coming from he began running my way to get me. Upon seeing this i turned to run away, forgetting where I was i fell to the ground.

It hurt like hell, what happened next was exactly as described above i got up to run home. I ran to the end of the lane and turned right, bringing me to an open area that led to the next laneway on my way home. The further i ran the more confused i got. It began to become unrecognisable and very bright. I was squinting my eyes trying to see where i needed to go. I could not make head nor tail of it though - so i decided to run back the way i came to where i had fallen for help.

According to my teammate i never moved. I was out cold on the ground. He was panicking trying to get help. My opposition teammate was getting his Mother to unlock the back gate to try and get to me quicker.

I came around and i was in their nextdoor neighbours garden and my Mam and Dad were there at this point, I was taken to hospital in an ambulance. A split head and split lip with a broken tooth too. The doctors said i was lucky to fall on my front rather than back.

I don't know where I was going, kind of pleased i turned back :D- even 20 odd years later i can remember it like it was yesterday.

Running towards the light and but instinct told you it wasn't your time so you turned back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Not super weird or unnatural, but my mostly deaf dog was in the vet on Saturday. The idiot thought that eating a bag of tulip bulbs would be a lovely early morning snack (he's fine, by the way). He gets super stressed at the vets, and pants non-stop. The vets knew this because he was also in on Wednesday for a lump removal surgery (it's been an expensive week). When I went to collect him, the nurse told me he had succeeded in creeping them all out.

There was another dog in the pen beside him, who was very sick. My dog isn't particularly dog orientated. He grew up beside our neighbour's dog, but he never spent any significant time around other dogs and tends to purposely ignore them if they come into the house. Some time around mid-afternoon, the dog in the pen beside him went into cardiac arrest. The nurse managed to get the dog out of the pen while everyone else came in, give him adrenaline etc., but it wasn't working. At the exact moment the other dog's heart stopped, my dog went silent. He stopped panting, and just lay looking up at the team who had rushed in to try and save the dog. Eventually, he started panting again, but apparently the vets had never experienced something like it and it creeped them out. They worked on the dog to try and get the heart going again, but they knew from my dog's reaction that it was gone.

He could sense something. It wasn't that he could hear the heart stop. Bare in mind that he's nearly completely deaf. You have to be standing beside him and talking loudly before he hears you. He's also not used to other dogs and definitely doesn't have a particular affinity for them. He didn't stop panting when the dog first got into bother, only when its heart stopped for the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

When I was younger my aunt use to collect me every Thursday from school and take me back to hers until my mum could collect me in the evening. She lived in a flat in the liberties at the time. I use to play in the stairwell with these twins that lived above her but there was no kids in the entire building so everyone assumed they were my imaginary friends. We eventually moved and changed schools and I completely forgot about my friends until my little sister and I were staying with my aunt for a few days.

She was out playing in the stairwell when I went to get her for her dinner. She was sitting in the same place I use to sit, looking up and talking to no one. I remember feeling really un-easy but I couldn't figure out why. Later that night I asked her who she was talking to outside and she told me it was Tommy and Mary from upstairs. I felt completely sick when she told me because I'd forgotten about the twins I use to play with. To me they had always been so real but everyone else said it was my imagination. I still don't understand how my sister saw the same kids years apart and if they were from my imagination, why did she see them? She wasn't even born at the time I use to play with them so it wasn't like she had heard me mention them. She drew loads of pictures of her and the two of them and they were just like the pictures I use to draw with the exact same kids in them.

It still freaks me out now when I think about it. My aunt moved a couple of years later and my sister stopped seeing the kids a short while before that, but neither of us particularly liked being in that building. I still don't like to walk by it, I always get the creeps. I know there's a logical reason behind it, and I've never looked into the history of the building but I always think there was something weird about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Been having dreams about my mother a lot lately, it's coming up to 2 years since she died so prob that, anyway we were sitting on a bench in a train station or something like that and she asked why nobody could hear her, I calmly said without missing a beat "they cant see or hear you, you left your physical form nearly 2 years ago" I even went onto joke that she couldnt even take her physical form back as she was cremated :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Not super weird or unnatural, but my mostly deaf dog was in the vet on Saturday. The idiot thought that eating a bag of tulip bulbs would be a lovely early morning snack (he's fine, by the way). He gets super stressed at the vets, and pants non-stop. The vets knew this because he was also in on Wednesday for a lump removal surgery (it's been an expensive week). When I went to collect him, the nurse told me he had succeeded in creeping them all out.

There was another dog in the pen beside him, who was very sick. My dog isn't particularly dog orientated. He grew up beside our neighbour's dog, but he never spent any significant time around other dogs and tends to purposely ignore them if they come into the house. Some time around mid-afternoon, the dog in the pen beside him went into cardiac arrest. The nurse managed to get the dog out of the pen while everyone else came in, give him adrenaline etc., but it wasn't working. At the exact moment the other dog's heart stopped, my dog went silent. He stopped panting, and just lay looking up at the team who had rushed in to try and save the dog. Eventually, he started panting again, but apparently the vets had never experienced something like it and it creeped them out. They worked on the dog to try and get the heart going again, but they knew from my dog's reaction that it was gone.

He could sense something. It wasn't that he could hear the heart stop. Bare in mind that he's nearly completely deaf. You have to be standing beside him and talking loudly before he hears you. He's also not used to other dogs and definitely doesn't have a particular affinity for them. He didn't stop panting when the dog first got into bother, only when its heart stopped for the last time.

My family once owned a huge Albino German Shepherd. He was an amazing animal and an absolute character. In all the time we had him I never heard him bark once.

Anyway, in September 2004 my Grandfather became very ill. He was in ICU for a few days but one Tuesday night one of my aunts ring and tell my mother she has to get into the hospital straight away. Now I was about 17 at the time. I had a fair idea what was going down. My mother rushes into the hospital and the rest of us are left at home, waiting for the inevitable.

I end up going to bed around 11:00 that night. I wasn't able to sleep and just ended up lying in the dark trying to force myself to drift off. I sit up in the bed, knowing full well I won't be sleeping. Suddenly, the dog starts screaming out in the yard. It then turns into this long mournful howl. My father runs out to the dog to see what the hell happened to him but finds him by his kennel, no harm done to him, just howling and screaming. This goes on for a good five minutes and my dad is trying to calm the poor thing down but to no avail. Suddenly he just stops and retreats into the kennel. My dad comes back in, awfully confused as to what happened. Two minutes later my mother rings to say Granddad had passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Dogs seem to have a sense of impending doom.
    Gary Coopers dogs ( Film Star best known for High Noon) howled for hours before he died.
    Also, the dog belonging to Lord Carnavon (He who discovered Tutankamun's Tomb) did similar when his master was dying in hospital.
    The poor dog howled so much it died also!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ellejay

ace_irl wrote: »
    When I was younger my aunt use to collect me every Thursday from school and take me back to hers until my mum could collect me in the evening. She lived in a flat in the liberties at the time. I use to play in the stairwell with these twins that lived above her but there was no kids in the entire building so everyone assumed they were my imaginary friends. We eventually moved and changed schools and I completely forgot about my friends until my little sister and I were staying with my aunt for a few days.

She was out playing in the stairwell when I went to get her for her dinner. She was sitting in the same place I use to sit, looking up and talking to no one. I remember feeling really un-easy but I couldn't figure out why. Later that night I asked her who she was talking to outside and she told me it was Tommy and Mary from upstairs. I felt completely sick when she told me because I'd forgotten about the twins I use to play with. To me they had always been so real but everyone else said it was my imagination. I still don't understand how my sister saw the same kids years apart and if they were from my imagination, why did she see them? She wasn't even born at the time I use to play with them so it wasn't like she had heard me mention them. She drew loads of pictures of her and the two of them and they were just like the pictures I use to draw with the exact same kids in them.

It still freaks me out now when I think about it. My aunt moved a couple of years later and my sister stopped seeing the kids a short while before that, but neither of us particularly liked being in that building. I still don't like to walk by it, I always get the creeps. I know there's a logical reason behind it, and I've never looked into the history of the building but I always think there was something weird about it.

I really need to stop reading this thread!!!!!
    I've goosebumps big time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

This from Twitter.Woman went on a night tour of Spike Island.Went to take a picture of a long corridor when the facial recognition thingy came on the phone.
    Someone else adjusted the lighting on her photo.Here is the end result.

https://twitter.com/photoscork/status/1056852903258963968?s=21

Advertisement