Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Exhibit A

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/margaret-cash-homeless-shoplifting-penneys-13441454

Exhibit B

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/dublin-mum-given-550000-payout-13449280

You silly people...paying your taxes...going to work (!?). Keep working your asses off, PAY your taxes, worry about your mortgage, worry about your health, worry about your children...

Mrs Cash told us her job was to pump out children (yeah, that is "what I do" - that is what she said) and that everything else was none of our business.

Anyone going to say this is not a screwed up country?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Pop at immigration Wednesday so?

Complete the AH Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The podcast where Casey spoke his mind has severely backfired on whoever thought they'd run with it in an attempt to damage him.

I'm really enjoying our political and media overlords trying to get the toothpaste back in the tube.

I truly believe Casey's in with a genuine shot now, if the general consensus on the radio text in programmes, and social media platforms are anything to go by.

Wasn't even 100% on voting at all, but thanks to the unashamed demonisation of this man (and the Taoiseach trying to influence how people vote) got me over the line.

Casey will get my number 1early on Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

What the fu*k is Regina Doherty on about. It was her party who targeted the vulnerable in society by constantly cutting disability budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

There was a good article by Ivan Yates in the indo on Sunday. There was do be 2/1 spending to tax cuts. This budget it was 19/1. Yes 19/1! I’d question if the insanity of this whole banana republic and the economic mismanagement this time round , is worse than the boom. One key differences is the banks not throwing cash around like confetti. But the government economic mismanagement is laughable , people might ask “what are you talking about “ just wait till the **** hits the fan again and the analysis begins ! Not repaying debt quicker, not Balancing the budget, sending billions up in smoke on welfare increases .. given the lessons of last time round , this time will be far more unforgivable in my opinion...

https://m.independent.ie/business/budget/analysis-overview/varadkar-is-squandering-more-than-fgs-legacy-37415850.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

NIMAN wrote: »
    Agree but here's example No.2 to prove how messed up the Gov is.

A friend of mine a few years back enquired about getting their child into a local playschool. Both he and his wife work.

It was a very popular one and always oversubscribed.

He was told that they would take his application anyway but to be honest they couldn't tell him if he would be successful as they had to see what places were left (if any) after the priority applicants were processed before him.

When he asked, all single mums and unemployed had priority before him when it came to getting a place.

The workers, and by definition those funding the preschool, were at the back of the queue.

I had the same experience. I was one of the few parents paying for my kids in the crèche. Many mornings parents who’s children attended for free dropped them off wearing their pyjamas, boasting about going back to bed.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 27,174 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ok, you don't like the alternatives, can you point to what you have contributed to these forums on how the current government can reform and resource the Gardai, how they can make a fairer and better welfare system or how they can overhaul and change the HSE?
    Knowing your posting history as well as I do, the majority of your posts support the government in what they are doing.

Personally I don't think any one party has all the solutions and never will. I am on record as being critical of the current government for getting so much abjectly wrong though and some stuff right.

See below.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,829 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The podcast where Casey spoke his mind has severely backfired on whoever thought they'd run with it in an attempt to damage him.

I'm really enjoying our political and media overlords trying to get the toothpaste back in the tube.

I truly believe Casey's in with a genuine shot now, if the general consensus on the radio text in programmes, and social media platforms are anything to go by.

Wasn't even 100% on voting at all, but thanks to the unashamed demonisation of this man (and the Taoiseach trying to influence how people vote) got me over the line.

All we need now is a pop at de immigrants and we'll have a Prezzie for the Joe Duffy generation.

Pathetic and sad if he gets elected. And nothing will change because everyone will have had their rants and things will go on the same. But we'll have a shallow one dimensional rabble rouser in the Aras.
    Thing about the president is that he/she is easy to ignore if you want to. So that's 7 yrs of ignoring for me then.

All we need now is a pop at de immigrants and we'll have a Prezzie for the Joe Duffy generation.

Pathetic and sad if he gets elected. And nothing will change because everyone will have had their rants and things will go on the same. But we'll have a shallow one dimensional rabble rouser in the Aras.
    Thing about the president is that he/she is easy to ignore if you want to. So that's 7 yrs of ignoring for me then.

He already mentioned immigrants and the overwhelming positive contribution they make towards our economy Francie.

These fascist/racist/bigotry insinuations are getting tiresome.

blanch152 wrote: »
    See below.

I forwarded your solution to Casey - we'll see what he can achieve for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Hes On boylan now, enjoying he's no shi*e approach, sounds like a decent down to earth guy(even if he's a millionaire before any one says it!!), can see why the government brown noses are on here trying to brand him a RACIST( snigger snigger) etc, we all know he won't beat micky d but at least it's a two finger salute to the posh boys and their cronies in Dublin.

Pathetic and sad if he gets elected.

Everyone knows what he says is the truth.

That is why he will get a big boost in the polls.

Refreshing to see any candidate saying what people feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Idbatterim wrote: »
    There was a good article by Ivan Yates in the indo on Sunday. There was do be 2/1 spending to tax cuts. This budget it was 19/1. Yes 19/1! I’d question if the insanity of this whole banana republic and the economic mismanagement this time round , is worse than the boom. One key differences is the banks not throwing cash around like confetti. But the government economic mismanagement is laughable , people might ask “what are you talking about “ just wait till the **** hits the fan again and the analysis begins ! Not repaying debt quicker, not Balancing the budget, sending billions up in smoke on welfare increases .. given the lessons of last time round , this time will be far more unforgivable in my opinion...

https://m.independent.ie/business/budget/analysis-overview/varadkar-is-squandering-more-than-fgs-legacy-37415850.html

I was at a budget talk by Seamus Coffee, head of the Irish Fiscal Authority, who was giving out stick about exactly this. Also Ireland's economy is currently performing ahead of our potential but with the end of year adjustment we are going to borrow again this year. It's the equivalent of a 40 year old investment banker on 250k per annum borrowing to support his lifestyle i..e we are still spending beyond our means despite earning slightly over our potential.

Very irresponsible stuff.

he was horrified that the 700m extra corporate tax we got this year as a once off cos of accounting changes went straight into permanent spending in health. SO we get a once off present of 700m euros that will come off future years returns and we spend it on a recurring 700m extra on health that we will have to pay in pertuity. Bonkers, absolute fuppin bonkers. Pascal is a fool!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Good man Peter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Hes On boylan now, enjoying he's no shi*e approach, sounds like a decent down to earth guy(even if he's a millionaire before any one says it!!), can see why the government brown noses are on here trying to brand him a RACIST( snigger snigger) etc, we all know he won't beat micky d but at least it's a two finger salute to the posh boys and their cronies in Dublin.

If you exclude millionaires you're left with celebrities, RTE dropouts, established party die-hards,Union reps, and politician families. Meaning the same old crowd.

That pesky unproveable 'everyone' again. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

daithi7 wrote: »
    I was at a budget talk by Seamus Coffee, head of the Irish Fiscal Authority, who was giving out stick about exactly this. Also Ireland's economy is currently performing ahead of our potential but with the end of year adjustment we are going to borrow again this year. It's the equivalent of a 40 year old investment banker on 250k per annum borrowing to support his lifestyle i..e we are still spending beyond our means despite earning slightly over our potential.

Very irresponsible stuff.

he was horrified that the 700m extra corporate tax we got this year as a once off cos of accounting changes went straight into permanent spending in health. SO we get a once off present of 700m euros that will come off future years returns and we spend it on a recurring 700m extra on health that we will have to pay in pertuity. Bonkers, absolute fuppin bonkers. Pascal is a fool!!!

Was that the Coffee, Teeh, or Mee series of talks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Idbatterim wrote: »

+1 on this.
    The budget was a sham - giveaway budget in preparation for an election.
    Ridiculous carry on and the state our finances are still in.

From Sinn Fein Senator PML.
    Senator MacLochlainn, who is from a Traveller background, said: "What Peter Casey did in his ignorance was say out loud what many people believe privately. That's the truth. Let's not deny it."

Casey said it's a nonsense to define them as an ethnic minority, MacLoclainn seems to be saying that loads of people agree with this statement, and that Casey was essentially ignorant for not having the wit to keep it to himself.

He also followed that up with a statement that
    a very significant number of public representatives across the country privately share his views."
    Casey said himself that he believed the others were being disingenuous when asked about the halting sites near their houses, PML seems to be echoing the disingenuous spiel.

Just listening to RTE radio one atm, and Higgins learjet to Belfast conundrum isn't going away either.

Popcorn will be needed for the next head to head debates, assuming MDH shows up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

This.

Politicians need to start concentrating on reality. I for one am fed up with working my arse off for little return from our government, meanwhile others who have not contributed anything close to what I and others have, are getting houses (and welfare increases) handed to them.

This man is bringing a little bit of honest reality to the debate, rather than tip toeing around the issue and keeping the status quo.

I’ll be voting for Casey come Friday. Leo Varadkar can go and **** himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

cournioni wrote: »
    This.

Politicians need to start concentrating on reality. I for one am fed up with working my arse off for little return from our government, meanwhile others who have not contributed anything close to what I and others have, are getting houses (and welfare increases) handed to them.

This man is bringing a little bit of honest reality to the debate, rather than tip toeing around the issue and keeping the status quo.

I’ll be voting for Casey come Friday. Leo Varadkar can go and **** himself.

There is no hope at all of him winning. To be honest thats half the fun of it

Michael D Higgens is the default choice of many (not saying that all are only voting him as default) and that will get him over the line with at least 30% to spare

• Registered Users Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

when will we have the next big poll guys?

Rjd2 wrote: »
    when will we have the next big poll guys?

Last one was the 16th, so my guess is tomorrow.

Peter Casey is the Molotov cocktail we can throw in to politics with no consequence. But it will annoy the people who are always annoyed and it's worth it for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Nothing will change? Well nothing will change if Michael D, the anointed one by most mainstream parties is elected by a huge landslide. The best we can hope for is that Peter Casey gets many more votes that the elite and the media predicted. Maybe he will finish third, in which case the establishment will have to sit up and take notice of the message being sent by thousands of Irish citizens.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Saint Patrick didn’t get rid of all the snakes , that’s for sure. The biggest one is out in castleknock ..

Varadkar must be giving Pinocchio a run for his money at this stage. It shows you the disdain they have for workers. I believe ff didn’t insist on raising the jsa and jsb, that was fg! Fg! Rubbing people’s noses in it!

Incompetent isn’t when the word. I’m going to have some laugh when the **** hits the fan again!

The inoffensive bland hobbit, The media darling And the establishment will love him. Wouldn’t say boo to a goose ! But a guy who would have probably registered one percent of the vote, going to a likely second place , will send out a message! Hopefully gets him in the public eye a lot more. People bang on about trump. It’s a result of seeing morons offering nothing but talk , for decades and people having enough of it ..

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Nothing will change? Well nothing will change if Michael D, the anointed one by most mainstream parties is elected by a huge landslide. The best we can hope for is that Peter Casey gets many more votes that the elite and the media predicted. Maybe he will finish third, in which case the establishment will have to sit up and take notice of the message being sent by thousands of Irish citizens.

The media and elites didn't 'predict' anything. Casey 'polled' at 2% because that is the percentage that said they would vote for him.

Anyone who has studied recent Irish media history, as I am positive sure Casey's team have, would know the touchstones that will bring out a certain vocal mob. Joe Duffy has them tattooed at this stage probably.
    'Tavellers' being one of those touchstones. Anyone who saw the hate, inhumanity and bile uttered when the Carrickmines fire happened would know what an emotive subject it is.
    Contrary to the rubbish spouted that these issues NEVER get an airing and that Casey is doing some sort of favour to 'de man', these issues frequently get 'aired'.
    The problem is those airing them have no implementable solutions.
    Once again, oxygen has been given to those who have nothing to offer but hate and prejudice.

• Advertisement

marvin80 wrote: »
    +1 on this.
    The budget was a sham - giveaway budget in preparation for an election.
    Ridiculous carry on and the state our finances are still in.

The last time round when the **** hit the fan, national debt was tiny. This time round? Lol! The economy is “booming” yet there is nothing in the pot to give to workers ... booming and they are still running up deficits. When things go bang this time , sit back and get out the popcorn! There’ll be serious “ hard decisions” to be made this time , what hard decisions did they make last time ? Borrowing tens of billions?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement