Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sisters wanting sites

Options
  • 22-10-2018 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭

My hubby is in the process of taking over the family farm. Now three of his sisters are looking for sites with intent to start building as soon as possible. My hubby is raging to the point he doesn't want to talk about it. How would you feel.

Would you Give your Son Daughter a site on the farm 451 votes

Yes, Everyone
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, But only if they contributed to the farm (ie worked on it)
    72% 328 votes
    Yes, But only sons
    12% 57 votes
    Yes, But only Daughters
    2% 13 votes
    No, I educated them so bugger off
    1% 5 votes
    No, my farm is to small to allow sites to be given
    5% 27 votes
    Not Sure let the next generation figure it out
    4% 21 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭littelady

BTW 2 out of the 3 would have local needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

littelady wrote: »
    My hubby is in the process of taking over the family farm. Now three of his sisters are looking for sites with intent to start building as soon as possible. My hubby is raging to the point he doesn't want to talk about it. How would you feel.

Well if it’s the family farm shouldn’t family be housed in it ?

BTW 2 out of the 3 would have local needs.

How big is the farm? Half an acre each will cover three sites.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭rovertom

Well if he is taking over the farm without paying for it, he is inheriting far in excess of what the sisters are looking for I'd imagine.

They are looking for an acre each. Farm has about 200 acres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Let them have the 1/2% and be happy with the 98.5% he's getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Families are complicated... But especially for those with local need, is they're right any less than your husbands?
    If it makes your husband that mad, he doesn't have to accept the farm at all !!

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Are any of ye farmers...because I know this comes up allot and the men are always pissed off with handing over sites to the girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

Are any of ye farmers...because I know this comes up allot and the men are always pissed off with handing over sites to the girls.

My grandad was but he gave the farm the the eldest son
    He sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

OSI wrote: »
    So having a dick magically grants him 197x as much land as his sister's?

Now not making assumptions in this case , but usually the son would have worked the farm all his life while the daughters went off to college / pursued careers outside the farm, its a mix of tradition and probably sexism on behalf of the parents not involving the daughters in the family farm, not too fair but were it the case that I was the sibling who stayed at home and tended the farm all my life , siblings who had never done a tap demanding land would piss me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Husbands family need to sit down and talk. Parents sisters the lot. Whatever the children want is second fiddle to what the parents want as it's their asset at the end of the day. Would always try to help family out here as much as possible. If parents want to give them sites so be it, stay on good terms and try to find ones that are suitable for them and the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Maybe in some places but not always. Ask your husband is it worth the hassle of an argument that could end with him been isolated from the rest of his siblings for a couple of acres.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cashcow

I think this is a decision the current owner of the land needs to make. where is your husband with the transfer process at the moment? is their a tax liability involved?

Eric, I was thinking that way too and because my hubby does put in the hours and doesn't get a big income he would class his site as part of his wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Best way for this to be done is for the alive parents/parent to gift a site to each of their siblings, its assuming you get planning permission on it too. It depends on the council but in our case there was a recent change from 5 houses in a row to 7 over a certain distance. This gave myself/brother planning permission. Other brother got the farm. Only sister who doesn't have local needs, will probably get the mothers site, still waiting though :rolleyes:, but she will probably get the best site with mountain views etc. The other side of the coin is how well off are the other sisters, if well off compared to your husband then I would have issues over it too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭rovertom

If it was 20 acres, handing over portions of it with site potential might be a pain but at 200 acres, your husband is taking the piss.
    He is inheriting 1 million euro worth of land minimum possibly double that plus no doubt stock machinery, buildings, entitlements etc and he won't give a sites to his sisters. The sad thing here is that he is possibly backed up by father with similar mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭pat73

IF your husband is taking over the family farm has his parents looked after his sister's financially and your husband gets to run the farm..has his parents mentioned about given sites to his sisters?.are they building to live in or sell on.Does he get on with his sisters. Has your husband to settle with your sisters financially. It sometimes is the case and he might have to borrow to settle with them and they looking for sites as well might be a tipping point for him.Answers to these questions are important. People think when u get 200 acres u are getting 2 million euros in your bank account. U are never going to sell it u are only getting a job and when your time is up you pass it on to the next generation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Is it the 2/3 acres he's pissed about or the fact they'll be living close and he hates them? If it's the former and they're not getting big big money as well as sites then he's a p***k.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Give them an acre each but at different corners. Free security.

The farm is with the solicitors ready to be handed over. Not sure on the tax side of things I think it was costing in the region of 30k to sign over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sounds awfully mean to in any way resent giving them such a small % of the farm.

Ed E ...the sites would be side by side, but I like your thinking

How big is the farm? Half an acre each will cover three sites.
    _Brian wrote: »
    Sounds awfully mean to in any way resent giving them such a small % of the farm.

Are you a male farmer?

James 007 wrote: »
    Best way for this to be done is for the alive parents/parent to gift a site to each of their siblings, its assuming you get planning permission on it too. It depends on the council but in our case there was a recent change from 5 houses in a row to 7 over a certain distance. This gave myself/brother planning permission. Other brother got the farm. Only sister who doesn't have local needs, will probably get the mothers site, still waiting though :rolleyes:, but she will probably get the best site with mountain views etc. The other side of the coin is how well off are the other sisters, if well off compared to your husband then I would have issues over it too.

The girls wouldn't be overly well off. Comfortable they all work as does their partners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭mayota

The farm is with the solicitors ready to be handed over. Not sure on the tax side of things I think it was costing in the region of 30k to sign over

The sites should be gifted by the parents before transfer.

rovertom wrote: »
    If it was 20 acres, handing over portions of it with site potential might be a pain but at 200 acres, your husband is taking the piss.
    He is inheriting 1 million euro worth of land minimum possibly double that plus no doubt stock machinery, buildings, entitlements etc and he won't give a sites to his sisters. The sad thing here is that he is possibly backed up by father with similar mindset.

I agree he is inheriting allot of land and machinery but also inheriting the debts and he is expected to keep it for the next generation. He will never see the millions. His dad will give up the sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Are you a male farmer?

Why would that matter ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Hands up I’m a city slicker but an acre sounds like quite a big plot to get. I know plenty of people living down the country on 1/2 acre plots or thereabouts and they are good size plots.
    As to the giving, I’d imagine those sisters always thought they’d get the land and feel entitled but I can also see how he may feel that he’s earned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Now not making assumptions in this case , but usually the son would have worked the farm all his life while the daughters went off to college / pursued careers outside the farm, its a mix of tradition and probably sexism on behalf of the parents not involving the daughters in the family farm, not too fair but were it the case that I was the sibling who stayed at home and tended the farm all my life , siblings who had never done a tap demanding land would piss me off.

A lot of farmers children all worked on the farm when they were younger and put in as much work.
    A local farmer who gave the farm to the son and a small amount of money to his two daughters, the farmer died soon after and the son got married and the new wife would not live in the same house as his mother and she had to move out of home and in with the daughter in Dublin after a life time on the farm. Two years later the son split from the wife and now she wants the farm sold for her share and now none of the family will have none of the farm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

Dont go against them. What ever the(parents) owners of the land decide let it be. If they have only come looking now when realising farm was being signed over thats abit of a balls and those happen, especially since your husband has probably put in alot of work into it, with minimal input from the sisters.
    Let it go and just do the best with what your given, just make sure sites are in a place where if sold you are not effected. When and if they sell its on their conscious, not yours.

Advertisement