Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your vehicle here Part 5 (don't quote pictures, 24h ban!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Why do they understate the figures? Seems counterintuitive given they are targeting people interested in performance cars, where higher BHP is generally seen as a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Because it’s a nice surprise to have more and a nasty surprise to have less.

An engineer will always know the limits and underquote.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Why do they understate the figures? Seems counterintuitive given they are targeting people interested in performance cars, where higher BHP is generally seen as a good thing.

Because they wouldn't sell all those tdi badges with the different red letter variants.

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Why do they understate the figures? .......

It's likely the lowest figure that's likely to be produced.
    So if they expect 180 +/- 10bhp they'd claim 170bhp .............perhaps :)
    .......even if they know 60/70% of the units are north of 170bhp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Hudson Creamy Vista

They also quote for areas with poor fuel quality and 91 octane and areas at high altitudes where o2 density will be a lot loss. Lowest reliable figure is quoted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

"Das auto. More power. More emmisions. More fuel consumption."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Treated the Avensis to a full valet and winter protection pack today. It's looking great for near 150k kms.

FB_IMG_1544374060605.jpg

FB_IMG_1544374065907.jpg

FB_IMG_1544374070594.jpg

FB_IMG_1544374077499.jpg

FB_IMG_1544374084179.jpg

FB_IMG_1544374089928.jpg

FB_IMG_1544374095319.jpg

FB_IMG_1544374100404.jpg

FB_IMG_1544374105581.jpg

FB_IMG_1544374112462.jpg

FB_IMG_1544374117738.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Behold The Beast! It has an entire 1100cc of pure grunt! :cool::P:D

467827.jpg

467828.jpg

467829.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Nice one! That looks mint

IMO Renault made a huge mistake by not offering the Twingo to RHD markets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Gave her a clean today, it'll be filthy in a few days but so be it :)

IMG-2085.jpg

IMG-2083.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

A Peugeot 206 has a pitiful 2 of those bonnet grill things compared to your mighty 3 fuzz :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nixonbot wrote: »
    A Peugeot 206 has a pitiful 2 of those bonnet grill things compared to your mighty 3 fuzz :cool:

The 206 grilles were supposed to be a nod to the side slats in the 205 IIRC.

Interesting car Dr. a French girl locally had one back in the 90s, don’t they have some weird clutchless gearbox with a manual gearshift?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The 206 grilles were supposed to be a nod to the side slats in the 205 IIRC.

Interesting car Dr. a French girl locally had one back in the 90s, don’t they have some weird clutchless gearbox with a manual gearshift?

Has a standard 5 speed manual, nothing strange or unusual. This one is an 02.
    I find the clutch has a bit of a spring to it on the return, so it tends to bunnyhop off the line if you're not used to it. :D
    Sadly no longer mine, sold on as it was just sitting there. It certainly elicits a smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I don't have a picture of the Alfa but after a short year and an impending divorce I had to sell the 159 :( sell... robbed from me more like it.
    Gutted isn't a strong enough word to express how I feel.. 10 years I waited to own one.
    On the plus side, I was handed back the keys the our old GP sporting.
    3 doors and 130 horses to play with which in a car so light is actually pretty nippy.
    Pro: car was for free from my parents :), drove it the 2k km back to Warsaw last night and with a full car including 4 alloys it averaged 5.8l.
    Con: NCT out over 2 months and today I'm having it tested and pray it passes, it has the infamous M32 box which I can hear is in dire need for replacement and both front headlights are faded so they'll need replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

bear1 wrote: »
    I don't have a picture of the Alfa but after a short year and an impending divorce I had to sell the 159 :( sell... robbed from me more like it.
    Gutted isn't a strong enough word to express how I feel.. 10 years I waited to own one.
    On the plus side, I was handed back the keys the our old GP sporting.
    3 doors and 130 horses to play with which in a car so light is actually pretty nippy.
    Pro: car was for free from my parents :), drove it the 2k km back to Warsaw last night and with a full car including 4 alloys it averaged 5.8l.
    Con: NCT out over 2 months and today I'm having it tested and pray it passes, it has the infamous M32 box which I can hear is in dire need for replacement and both front headlights are faded so they'll need replacing.

When you say faded do you mean the bulb or the actual headlights themselves?

If it's the outer plastic use toothpaste and a cloth or get a restore kit where you sand it down and have a sealer for when it's done.
    A machine polisher would be another way also.

When you say faded do you mean the bulb or the actual headlights themselves?

If it's the outer plastic use toothpaste and a cloth or get a restore kit where you sand it down and have a sealer for when it's done.
    A machine polisher would be another way also.

The actual headlights themselves.
    I was wondering about the sandpaper route but the plastic surrounding seems well glued to the casing so unsure I'll snap it off and end up needing to buy new headlamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I was wondering about the sandpaper route but the plastic surrounding seems well glued to the casing so unsure I'll snap it off and end up needing to buy new headlamps.

Try G3 compound paste and a rag with plenty elbow grease..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You don't take them off.

Tape around the paint with masking tape and then use any of the methods mentioned.

You don't take them off.

Tape around the paint with masking tape and then use any of the methods mentioned.

I think the fading is from the inside, need to check again but thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Grubby, dirty, filthy Avensis of mine at Fitzwilliam square at and over the weekend (Friday night onwards, free parking side)

Anyone cop it? Probably not ;)

Aj7mUBOh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭hooch-85

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Treated the Avensis to a full valet and winter protection pack today. It's looking great for near 150k kms.

Great job, Taff is a top man! Did my car about 6 weeks ago now. The wax still seems to be doing its job. Are you local to Nenagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Great job, Taff is a top man! Did my car about 6 weeks ago now. The wax still seems to be doing its job. Are you local to Nenagh?

Ya just outside it. Taff does a great job and is a pure gent. I couldn't recommend his work highly enough.

Spotted your car on his FB page. Looks great after the job he done.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

New shoes and Gtechniq C2V3

IMG_9034.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Tommyboy40 wrote: »
    New shoes and Gtechniq C2V3

IMG_9034.jpg

What engine is in your cl, always liked them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

What engine is in your cl, always liked them.....

It's the smallest one 5.0 M113. It's a bit of a lazy V8 but surprisingly frugal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

This may be the last photo I get of my 540i, officially declared an insurance write off yesterday and taken to the garage this morning :( They are yet to make me an offer and start the war with valuation.

m8oyBudh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Ah jaysus sorry to hear that FN! Such a rare car and you put so much time and effort in to it. Is this from the bang it got at the roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Wailin wrote: »
    Ah jaysus sorry to hear that FN! Such a rare car and you put so much time and effort in to it. Is this from the bang it got at the roundabout?

Yeah it is! The companies have still not agreed who's at fault or decided to split so I just claimed against my fully comp anyway last week. Yes I'll lose my no claims but if I lost the battle or it was a split I'd lose them anyway and they'll return to me anyway if I win. So now I've got to wait and see what they offer me and debate buying it back and fixing it or replacing it.

............ debate buying it back and fixing it or replacing it.

I imagine the buy back might be financially ok, considering the valuation likely won't, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

This is one of the bad sides to owning savage, but older cars. They're essentially worthless and you get shafted by insurance companies regardless of how much time and effort has gone into it.

And anyone like yourself who keeps things tip top, with upgraded interiors, refreshed suspension, engine work, cooling work, wheels etc etc just gets wiped out when they look at the book price of a couple of grand. It would almost put you off owning one.

Sorry to see FN.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement