Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clamped

• 09-12-2018 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

My Mam just rang me after getting clamped at the Luas car park.

She had paid her parking but entered 2 digits of her car registration wrongly on the parking machine e.g. her reg is 07D 2335 and she entered 07D 2553.

She has her receipt to prove she paid for parking.

She rang the NCP to explain all of this. They made her pay of course and said she could only appeal after paying. They were obnoxious on the phone to make matters worse.

Has anyone had a similar experience with entering the wrong reg plate and if she will be able to appeal this successfully?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I would suggest buying your mother a bolt cutters for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Leilak

Yes I live 5 mins from luas red cow and afew times I entered reg wrong and was refunded a week later, tell her not to worry she will get her money back

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

can't do the time don't do the crime

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Thanks for the responses.

I feel terrible for her as she had brought my sister (who has special needs) out for a rare trip into town to see the Xmas lights and do some shopping. She's not exactly flush to begin with so it was a fairly crap way to end the day. She was left for ages waiting for them to come and release the clamp too, and the fella on the phone was pretty rude when she tried to plead her case.

It's bad form that she actually had to pay up in the first place, since she had her receipt, but reassuring to hear that others have gotten their money back in this situation all the same.

Yeah....she didn't commit any crime but she's doing the time nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yeah....she didn't commit any crime but she's doing the time nonetheless.

you cant fight city hall

• Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They’re pretty zealous st the Red cow luas car park. It’s notorious for clamping, must be a nice money spinner. Does little to encourage public transport really

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ah, this is where she went wrong.
    She had paid her parking but entered 2 digits of her car registration wrongly on the parking machine e.g. her reg is 07D 2335 and she entered 07D 2553.

She should have put her own reg instead of the wrong one.

This message was brought to you by

1jOO.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's bad form that she actually had to pay up in the first place, since she had her receipt, but reassuring to hear that others have gotten their money back in this situation all the same.

I'd say that's just a logisitics thing to be honest. I'm sure it happens all the time. Tell her not to feel bad. I recently put petrol into my diesel car. We're all eejits at times. Ps the Xmas lights are brilliant, hope they had a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

There was no crime though just a mistake. The bunch of fcukers should have come out to her and sorted it out.it was a genuine mistake which the woman could prove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

They’ll reject the appeal but you can take it further and will get your money back.

I had to do the same when I got clamped there after paying for parking and got refunded eventually.

Actually, after I’d been clamped I rang the office and asked could they tell me how long I’d be waiting. Lad asked me to hold, he came back on the line and said “yeah I rang out man and it’ll be about an hour unfortunately”...unbeknownst to the pr!ck the clamping van had just entered the car park and was parked right in front of me....w@nkers.

Those machines are also very finnicky when typing in car registrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There was no crime though just a mistake. .

That's what they all say. " that's stuff fell in to my pocket Mr security man". You're fooling no one Capone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There was no crime though just a mistake. The bunch of fcukers should have come out to her and sorted it out.it was a genuine mistake which the woman could prove.

She couldn't prove it unless she could prove she didn't also drive 07D 2553.

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'd say that's just a logisitics thing to be honest. I'm sure it happens all the time. Tell her not to feel bad. I recently put petrol into my diesel car. We're all eejits at times. Ps the Xmas lights are brilliant, hope they had a good time.

Jaysus, sorry to hear that. I'll let her know :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

That's what they all say. " that's stuff fell in to my pocket Mr security man". You're fooling no one Capone.

Stop lad.did she wait around half the day until she found someone with an almost identical reg and beg them for their ticket. The country is gone soft.it says she has a receipt that proves she paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Stop lad.did she wait around half the day until she found someone with an almost identical reg and beg them for their ticket. The country is gone soft.it says she has a receipt that proves she paid.

No. Shes clearly much more cunning that that. She has a 2nd set of plates she uses to pull off fraud on a large scale.

This goes deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I would suggest buying your mother a bolt cutters for Christmas.

More like a con saw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Ncps clamped me twice in 4 years when it was their fault. First time there was a paper ticket in my window, second time they must have not scanned my reg as I paid for parking on my app weekly and had actual physical proof. I’ve also been clamped by them when it was my own fault. I have paid when it was my fault, but on the two occasions they made the mistake the lady on the phone was insisting that I would have to pay and then appeal. I had read and done my research and it’s a known thing with ncps that they do not issue refunds after appeal. So they essentially immobilized my car and demanded payment when I had complied with parking regulations. So, the first time, it was removed with a consaw.
    The second time, the lock was popped, and the clamp was then clamped to the clamping sign in the carpark, using the same popped lock. Appeal that, fückers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

You posted in the wrong forum for constructive advice OP unfortunately. I'm sure your mum will get her money back, she has the proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

road_high wrote: »
    They’re pretty zealous st the Red cow luas car park. It’s notorious for clamping, must be a nice money spinner. Does little to encourage public transport really

Nothing to do with people taking this piss, despite the low price for 24 hours, of course.

Don't mean the OP obviously.

• Advertisement

BBFAN wrote: »
    You posted in the wrong forum for constructive advice OP unfortunately. I'm sure your mum will get her money back, she has the proof.

Hope you're right BBFAN, but unfortunately it wouldn't surprise me if they refused.

We'll see. She submitted the appeal already and received a message saying that they try to process appeals within 21 days. How efficient!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Don't shoot the messenger - when the error goes into the system, it's not always a case of just reversing it easily.

It would be crazy if she didn't get a refund though - she has good grounds to with the receipt. I'd say she'll be fine.

road_high wrote: »
    But, in the highly unlikely event of all of them being due to errors like that of the OP's mother, those clampings are avoidable.

Don't shoot the messenger - when the error goes into the system, it's not always a case of just reversing it easily.

It would be crazy if she didn't get a refund though - she has good grounds to with the receipt. I'd say she'll be fine.

I have to laugh at the excuse "the system wont let me do it" when you ring these places. It's the typical nonsense these companies come out with when they don't want to help you. There's always someone up the line that can override a system. They go on like the computers are controlling them as opposed to the other way around. The idea that the clamper couldnt have just come back, checked her ticket, and taken the clamp off, is ludicrous.

I called about the appeals process. It's gas. You can't actually speak to anyone in NPC about appeals. It's all done online. Of course, when you want to pay a fine you can immediately speak to a real human but not when you want to appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Stop lad.did she wait around half the day until she found someone with an almost identical reg and beg them for their ticket.

Maybe she's having an affair with the owner of car B and they both thought they could pull a fast one.

You have to be on the ball nowadays.

I'm glad they've been caught if I'm honest. Having an affair coming to Christmas is taking the biscuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I have to laugh at the excuse "the system wont let me do it" when you ring these places. It's the typical nonsense these companies come out with when they don't want to help you. There's always someone up the line that can override a system. They go on like the computers are controlling them as opposed to the other way around. The idea that the clamper couldnt have just come back, checked her ticket, and taken the clamp off, is ludicrous.

I called about the appeals process. It's gas. You can't actually speak to anyone in NPC about appeals. It's all done online. Of course, when you want to pay a fine you can immediately speak to a real human but not when you want to appeal.
    Are they still charging more if you pay by card

I haven't worked in a clamping place but I have worked in customer service and laugh all you want but what I said is the actual reality. And you actually inadvertently acknowledged the exact problem - yes, someone higher up make the rules/might be able to accelerate things but they're not around. It's the person at the bottom of the heap who takes the calls and they are extremely limited in what they can do. They don't make the rules and can't bend them. Believe me, if they could sort things out there and then, they would. As it would stop abuse or people getting upset on the phones. Despite popular opinion, they don't actually enjoy that. They are just regular folk like you and me, in a sh1t job until they find something better.

Are they still charging more if you pay by card

I never heard of this but f*ck me that'd be the icing on the cake. She paid by card over the phone and it was 80 euro.

I haven't worked in a clamping place but I have worked in customer service and laugh all you want but what I said is the actual reality. And you actually inadvertently acknowledged the exact problem - yes, someone higher up make the rules/might be able to accelerate things but they're not around. It's the person at the bottom of the heap who takes the calls and they are extremely limited in what they can do. They don't make the rules and can't bend them. Believe me, if they could sort things out there and then, they would. As it would stop abuse or people getting upset on the phones. Despite popular opinion, they don't actually enjoy that. They are just regular folk like you and me, in a sh1t job until they find something better.

I rang about the appeals process and asked to speak to a manager and was told "youre speaking to one" in the most unprofessional, arrogant way you could imagine. This was followed by equally unprofessional smart-arse explanations like "we have to charge you now because Luas makes us do it that way". what utter bollox passing the book to Luas like that.

Either way, if someone down the ladder cant make the call and you demonstrate a legitimate query, they should forward you to a supervisor to be dealt with accordingly. "Computer says no" isnt good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

My Mam just rang me after getting clamped at the Luas car park.

That's the Isuzu, right? Something like this?

maxresdefault.jpg

If you send me her pps number and IBAN, I should be able to get it sorted.

Advertisement