Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5,459 applicants turned down an offer of social housing since 2016.

• 17-06-2019 6:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

https://www.thejournal.ie/murphy-social-housing-4678670-Jun2019/

Murphy says it's 'ultimately fair' those who turn down two 'reasonable' social housing offers be blacklisted for 5 years

Is this fair?

I think so, a lot of these probably remain “homeless” after turning down perfectly good houses.

This homeless crisis is greatly exaggerated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

I don't get how people who are living in a hotel can have any chance to turn down a permanent roof over their heads. This business of not living near enough to their parents or schools is nonsense. I'll never be able to afford where my parents live. I actually think a province wide radius is reasonable given there's a housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It should be a single offer -refuse it and sorry your off the list .
    Meanwhile your living in s hotel or b&b free from any financial contribution including utilities (with minor exception of hubs )
    The minister should also be asking how the council's plan of getting the tens of millions of rent arrears are actually paid to local authorities

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Gatling wrote: »
    Meanwhile your living in s hotel or b&b free from any financial contribution including utilities (with minor exception of hubs )
    The minister should also be asking how the council's plan of getting the tens of millions of rent arrears are actually paid to local authorities

Agreed. The only way back on the list should be in a county at least 2 further away from the original application. They'll quickly learn to take whatever offer they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Surely now is a great time of year for families to accept new accommodation and get settled in.
    Kids can start in a new school in September at start of a new year and they will have two months to make a few friends in advance.

If we really have a homeless crisis people need to take what they are given and then work themselves up into something better under their own steam if that’s what they want.

I absolutely think this new rule is fair to both those waiting in lists and those paying tax towards supporting them.

Allot of people in sheltered housing have intentionally made a series of bad decisions against the advice of literally everyone be that parents, teachers and everyone. No education, strings of kids often to different fathers, drugs and alcohol abuse, never worked a day in their lives. This shiit catches up with you and somehow it’s everyone else’s fault ??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,938 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I wouldnt be trusting that eejit to know what a "reasonable" offer was.

"Exciting" co-living for all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

I think it’s “ultimately fair” that if Leo Varadkar turns down two “reasonable offers” to make an example of an insurance cheat within the space of a year they won’t receive any other votes for five years from the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

They do try to meet several of the applicants requirements so wrong these many planned social career spongers can be choosers.
    People with genuine special needs should be a priority.
    a complete overhaul needed to cover under use, arrears and rent levels i know of one been let where the separated couple share another forever free gafe in D1 neither are working too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭enricoh

Gatling wrote: »

Surely in 2019 its possible to take the rent out of peoples welfare payment.
    Same as paying fines, instead of wasting cops n prison officers time bringing lads up to the joy for a few hours.
    Obviously no political will to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I work in rehousing homeless families. Some do have genuine reasons for turning down a house. The people I work with are in the main either disabled themselves or have a disabled child and they turn down property because its completely unsuitable. Some do turn down perfectly nice homes for ridiculous reasons but someone else on the list will take it so a family in need still gets rehomed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

eviltwin wrote: »
    I work in rehousing homeless families. Some do have genuine reasons for turning down a house. The people I work with are in the main either disabled themselves or have a disabled child and they turn down property bec

Was just wondering was there any info or breakdown on the reasons for them turning down a house. And if there’s a spike in certain reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Wheelchair users reported being offered houses that had stairs, while another applicant said they were offered housing was too damp for their child, who had asthma.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Was just wondering was there any info or breakdown on the reasons for them turning down a house. And if there’s a spike in certain reasons.

Yeah that would give us something to base an opinion on, rather than guessing that a lot of them have unrealistic expectations.

Houses being on remote locations with no public transport and the family having no mode of transport id imagine is a huge one. I’d easily call that a genuine reason to refuse.

And I’d bet it’s one of the most common reasons of refusal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yeah but.....then you are talking rehoming all those people who refused, in areas close to cities with good transport links- i.e. housing that us idiots pay through the nose for.How is that right either?And the nearest two new social housing estates that I see every day, all of the houses have two cars in the driveway.All of them.They may not be new or state of the art, but they still can run two cars.

Serious overhaul of the screening process needed.Surely it can't be too difficult to start out identifying those with a disability need, and putting them in a separate category for a particular form of housing???At the very least?

I'd be more concerned about the headline this morning saying that if house prices/supply continue the way they are, we risk becoming a "welfare state" when it comes to housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I think it’s “ultimately fair” that if Leo Varadkar turns down two “reasonable offers” to make an example of an insurance cheat within the space of a year they won’t receive any other votes for five years from the public.

I'm sure FG are hoping people are becoming amnesic regarding their insurance scammers, Maria and the lad with whiplash. Honesty is for little people or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

shesty wrote: »
    Serious overhaul of the screening process needed.Surely it can't be too difficult to start out identifying those with a disability need, and putting them in a separate category for a particular form of housing???At the very least?

There is a disability list but that doesn't stop people on that list still being offered unsuitable accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

There is a thread about Maria Bailey already.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

we are already a welfare state only a matter of time a very broke one at that no the next time the IMF come they will reform it

• https://www.thejournal.ie/murphy-social-housing-4678670-Jun2019/

Murphy says it's 'ultimately fair' those who turn down two 'reasonable' social housing offers be blacklisted for 5 years

Is this fair?

I think so, a lot of these probably remain “homeless” after turning down perfectly good houses.

This homeless crisis is greatly exaggerated.

There is no homeless crisis. What we do have is a homeless industry with hundreds employed in it in Dublin alone. If it wasn’t so profitable, we wouldn’t have so many homeless “Charities”.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

There is no homeless crisis. What we do have is a homeless industry with hundreds employed in it in Dublin alone. If it wasn’t so profitable, we wouldn’t have so many homeless “Charities”.

Totally agree.

What we have is an ‘Entitlement Crisis’.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

There is no homeless crisis.

You better tell Leo and the lads for some strange reason they believe there is.

Jaysis.

Would it not be more profitable and healthy for the state in the long run if homes were affordable and accessible to all and allow people to live and work and contribute?

You better tell Leo and the lads for some strange reason they believe there is.

If they believed there was they would act on it.

They are saying there is one because they beleive that’s what people want to hear them say, same with climate emergency, they declared one because they believed that would be popular with he masses, not because they beleive it’s an issue.

There is a vast difference between what a government say to be popular and their actual internal policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Houses being on remote locations with no public transport and the family having no mode of transport id imagine is a huge one. I’d easily call that a genuine reason to refuse.

And I’d bet it’s one of the most common reasons of refusal.

There's the misconception though that if you apply for social housing in Dublin they could house you in Cavan. You can only be housed within the council you applied for, Dublin has 4 councils alone. Let's say you applied in Fungal you won't be housed in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown.
    I think this is part of the issue, that every council is doing their own thing. You can be housed in a rural area when applying in a busy urban one but this is a voluntary process.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,466 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Wheelchair users reported being offered houses that had stairs,

Can Eoghan also bring in a rule that whatever fúcktards make these decisions get fired immediately.

_Brian wrote:
    They are saying there is one because they beleive that’s what people want to hear them say, same with climate emergency, they declared one because they believed that would be popular with he masses, not because they beleive it’s an issue.

The cynic in me says this policy shift suggested by Murphy is a response to yesterday's miserable poll result for FG. The minions will lap it up as evidenced here. ;-)

_Brian wrote:

So you believe the FG government are a bunch of populist liars? I tend to agree with you.

The cynic in me says this policy shift suggested by Murphy is a response to yesterday's miserable poll result for FG. The minions will lap it up as evidenced here. ;-)

Have to agree. Murphy reacting to his disastrous idea in shared accommodation, with a press release blaming the scroungers on refusing houses.

Typical FG

So I think this is good, damn sure it’s good.
    Will it make me vote blue shirt, no it wouldn’t.

Many of us are capable of recognising a good idea without attaching it to any particular political party.

• Advertisement

So you believe the FG government are a bunch of populist liars? I tend to agree with you.

I don’t think any government are 100% honest in their statements, this one no more or less than the others.

Advertisement