Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

Extremely poor game yesterday, stop start and galway clueless. It's time for Walsh to move on and let corofin manager have a go. Roscommon were full value for the win but most counties will be praying they draw them in super eights. They have been abject in recent stages of all Ireland, I don't see that changing.

Galway s meltdown under Walsh
    Tipp 2016
    Roscommon 2017
    Kerry 2017
    Monaghan Dublin 2018

Pitch invasion was embarrassing as well, like the stewards have to thwart that IMO.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Could Cox end up back with Kerry next year or how does it work?

Who knows, interesting enough he could be the new Ricey of the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

There's 1 team in munster, 1 team in leinster and 0 teams in Connacht. Monaghan, Donegal and Tyrone and Cavan are fair quality up North.

Well Roscommon beat Monaghan this year, should have beat Tyrone only ref over-turned simple 20 yard free in last seconds of game, lost to Cavan admittedly but Roscommon have beaten Cavan numerous times over past 5-6 seasons in league and championship including twice last season.

Donegal are best side in Ulster now but they were ate by this Galway team 2 summers ago..a Galway side coming off a 9 point defeat to Roscommon in Salthill in Connacht final.
    You have to remember that this is a Galway team several years into their rebuild...they should be at their peak now and they're still throwing up pure muck like today.

That's gaelic football. Any of the top 8 outside Dublin can beat each other on their day.

Tyrone were poor last week. Monaghan have lost to Fermanagh and Cavan in Ulster last two years, Kerry were blitzed by Galway last year
    I think roscommon must have went 15-20 minutes without a score today and Galway went 30 minutes without one.

The weather was awful in first half, biblical levels of rain. Both teams set out to defend their 45 so chances were at premium anyway.

Go back and watch some of the recent all ireland finals..quality is very poor too. 2017 Rock is missing simple frees by his standard, a year earlier Dublin don't score at all for large parts of game outside two own goals.
    It might have been competitive today but **** me it was awful quality. Galway keeper must have come straight from the u-14's, looks like he was about to **** himself on every kickout. The goal he conceded couldn't have been any easier to save. Look at where the ball went into the goal, right into the centre of the goal, nowhere near the post. He's without doubt one of the worst goalkeepers in the country, no exaggeration on that either.

He didn't have great game but Roscommons kickout tactic was magnificent. They were tight on every player meaning goalie had to kick long which 50/50 his team loses or try suicidal short kick outkicks. Its not coincidence at this stage that McGrann (Leitrim keeper), Hennelly and now Lavalle have all struggled with kickouts against this Roscommon side
    Shane Walsh is the only top player they have who any team would admire, aside from the injured Comer who's also good.

Even then, Walsh can be fierce inconsistent blasting open shots 20 yards wide of the post.

Most gaelic footballers are inconsistent. Look at Aiden Ó Shea. Michael Murphy looked finished in 17.

Pretty sure most sides would love Silke, Burke, Flynn or Heaney on their teams.
    On to roscommon, they're hard workers who'll give it a go but again that's it. A few of their players can hit nice pointss on their day. Says it all that Conor Cox couldn't get on the Kerry panel while he was a stud out there today.

Well Roscommon have got to four consecutive Connacht finals now, winning two. This will be their third quarter finals in a row, spent three of last four years in division 1 and have beat Mayo, Galway, Monaghan, drawn with Tyrone (whom they should have beat) and ran Dublin close in 2019

Roscommon are one of the smallest populations in the country with huge turnover each year, arguably our best player over last few years (Ciaráin Murtagh) is abroad this year.

Nobody is under any illusions regarding where Roscommon stand. They don't have the professional setups that the Dublin/Kerry/Tyrone and Mayo have meaning their ceiling is lower.

Re:Cox. Everyone knew this guys class for years. Many Kerry supporters on here have called for his inclusion. He was standout player in Sigerson and during three All-Ireland junior wins.

Billy Morgan was baffled Kerry were not picking him and Morgan has seen some great footballers down the years https://sport.ucc.ie/classy-ucc-ace-conor-cox-torments-cit/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭shockframe

rossie1977 wrote: »

Re:Cox. Everyone knew this guys class for years. Many Kerry supporters on here have called for his inclusion. He was standout player in Sigerson and during three All-Ireland junior wins.

Billy Morgan was baffled Kerry were not picking him and Morgan has seen some great footballers down the years https://sport.ucc.ie/classy-ucc-ace-conor-cox-torments-cit/

Cox as shown yesterday can be one of the best forwards in the game.

The problem with him is though is that he can be very greedy. Scores like the ones he got against Galway and Mayo are exceptional when they go over but miss and then it looks as if the selection is too wild.

UCC is a good example. They were winning the 2015 SIgerson final against DCU by a point and then Cox got the ball with a bit of space around the 45 and then ballooned it wide trying a Colin Corkery type shot. DCU then managed one more attack after and levelled it with a free winning in extra time. Had Cox played the ball better it might have been a different story.

Kerry have an abundance of forwards and they more often than not take the right option. Cox is a bit unlucky but Kerry have slightly better options overall.

Besides I'd say Cox is more than happy right now that Roscommon have come calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Primrose
    Always has been

I don't think you get what he did there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Be interesting to see who comes through round 2 and 3 of the qualifiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

HBC08 wrote: »
    I don't think you get what he did there.

I didn't hear Marty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

There's 1 team in munster, 1 team in leinster and 0 teams in Connacht. Monaghan, Donegal and Tyrone and Cavan are fair quality up North.

Not sure if it was mentioned here already, but did you hear Spillane on the radio yesterday, waxing lyrical about the great romance of the provincial championships? Backbone of the GAA etc etc

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Not sure if it was mentioned here already, but did you hear Spillane on the radio yesterday, waxing lyrical about the great romance of the provincial championships?

That's roscommon 3rd in 9 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

@rossie1977 excellent reply. In my ten years on here I don't think I have come across a worse attempt at trolling than SirGerryAdams there yesterday.

A big congrats to Roscommon on their well deserved win. A fine achievement to beat both Galway and Mayo (two established Div 1 and top 5 teams) in their home patches in one Connacht campaign. Apart from that 10 minute spell before half time Roscommon were the better team and platform for the win was in no small part to some superb defending. 2nd half Roscommon got the upper hand in the middle eight and Cox and Murtagh,Cregg etc showed their true quality up front. The goal from Murtagh (hard to believe his first ever championship goal) was a cool finish and it set Roscommon up for that great comeback win.

The pitch celebrations was great scenes and further proof that the provincial championship is far from dead in Connacht. Its one of the great GAA traditions and while by the grey haired men in suits stopped it in Croke Park long may it continue elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭harpsman

He means it would be an excuse to do nothing and pretend everything is ok.

A couple of people have said that something needs to be done. What would people like to be done exactly? I don’t see any way to even things out naturally. What can the GAA do in all honesty?
    Form at least one other county team from the greater dublin metropolitan area. You could have 3 teams from this area and theyd still be the 3 most populated and 3 best funded counties in the country.

It will happen eventually, when even the slower learners among Dublin gaa people admit that the current set up is farcical.

Will probably take 20 all irelands out of 21 or 22 before that happens though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Gael85

C__MC wrote: »
    That's roscommon 3rd in 9 years.

3 Connacht titles against Kevin Walsh teams. He was Sligo manager when Roscommon best them in 2010 Connacht final.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭threeball

Gael85 wrote: »
    3 Connacht titles against Kevin Walsh teams. He was Sligo manager when Roscommon best them in 2010 Connacht final.

Also manager when London beat Sligo for the first time ever. Nearly did the same for Galway.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

shockframe wrote: »
    Cox as shown yesterday can be one of the best forwards in the game.

The problem with him is though is that he can be very greedy. Scores like the ones he got against Galway and Mayo are exceptional when they go over but miss and then it looks as if the selection is too wild.

UCC is a good example. They were winning the 2015 SIgerson final against DCU by a point and then Cox got the ball with a bit of space around the 45 and then ballooned it wide trying a Colin Corkery type shot. DCU then managed one more attack after and levelled it with a free winning in extra time. Had Cox played the ball better it might have been a different story.

Kerry have an abundance of forwards
    and they more often than not take the right option. Cox is a bit unlucky but Kerry have slightly better options overall.

Besides I'd say Cox is more than happy right now that Roscommon have come calling.

I'd seriously question that. James O'Donohue is injured more than he's fit and when he's fit he doesn't always choose the right option either.
    Tommy Walsh, injury prone too.
    The youngsters showed well in the league but the AI latter stages can be a big step up from the league.

They have a couple of good forwards, and a couple of forwards who are injury prone or past it.

Someone like Cox would be a good addition for Kerry, he was probably MOTM yesterday. But its Roscommons gain now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Gael85

threeball wrote: »
    Also manager when London beat Sligo for the first time ever. Nearly did the same for Galway.

In fairness he steadied the ship for Galway but this was to expand on the attacking game. Galway have the kick passers. Comer leadership is missed. Couldn't believe Molloy only brought in injury time. Would have Michael Farragher in that too and Power in nets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I'd seriously question that. James O'Donohue is injured more than he's fit and when he's fit he doesn't always choose the right option either.
    Tommy Walsh, injury prone too.
    The youngsters showed well in the league but the AI latter stages can be a big step up from the league.

They have a couple of good forwards, and a couple of forwards who are injury prone or past it.

Someone like Cox would be a good addition for Kerry, he was probably MOTM yesterday. But its Roscommons gain now.

JOD hasn’t really been first choice for a while, mainly due to injury.

Cox is an out and out inside forward. Clifford and Geaney are the players he would need to beat out because Kerry only play two up there now. Geaney has had a lot of niggly injuries and has struggled since 2017 but he had an operation not long ago so hopefully that’s behind him now, he is probably a better all rounder than Cox imo. Cox is in sparkling form but eventually those spectacular efforts will drift wide and people will be asking what has happened to him, jmo. That said, Cox is certainly good enough to be on the Kerry panel at the very least and it looks to be a serious oversight on Eamon Fitzmaurices part that he hasn’t had more chances over the years.

I don’t think it would matter much though, Kerry’s big difficulties are in midfield, centre of defence and wing forwards. Midfield in particular is a disaster altogether and Mark O’Connors decision to play Aussie rules rather than GAA looks like a bigger loss every time Kerry take the field. Moran is pushing on and Barry hasn’t become the player he promised to be initially, there is nothing, and I mean nothing behind them in terms of depth. Until they sort that area out they won’t be contenders imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭threeball

Gael85 wrote: »
    In fairness he steadied the ship for Galway but this was to expand on the attacking game. Galway have the kick passers. Comer leadership is missed. Couldn't believe Molloy only brought in injury time. Would have Michael Farragher in that too and Power in nets.

Yes he steadied the ship but there's more to football than defense and 14 men behind the ball. Walsh does know how to balance both sides of the game. I agree I would have had both on that you mentioned. Farragher should have been named at FF last week. Hes a great target man, well able to field a ball if required and a great understanding with Burke.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I don't think I was ever as cranky/cross leaving a game as I was heading home yesterday. I have seen plenty of Galway teams play terribly but yesterday really got my blood boiling.

People will point to the Mayo hammering a few years ago but the simple truth is that Galway team just weren't good enough to compete with Mayo back then. Yesterday was different. Even though Galway were weakened by injuries they should still should have had enough quality to make a proper match of it. The second half non-performance was a disgrace, any other word I could use to describe it would probably get me banned. Burke was bad yesterday but Daly, Walsh and O Laoi were all playing well and kicking scores in the first half. Seeing all semblance of threat just vanish in the second half was infuriating.

There's no way Walsh will be in charge next year. Too many people are angry at this team and won't spend their time and money on them anymore. The Galway crowd was bad yesterday but it'll be a lot, lot worse next year if Walsh remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Stoner wrote: »
    Who knows, interesting enough he could be the new Ricey of the GAA.

Never mention that name again in here, unless it's refering to Mr McMenamin. :P

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

The cowardice of the Galway forwards against Roscommon was something to behold. Constantly passing the ball sideways, backwards, over and back. Opportunity to shoot? No problem, take another hop and solo and pass it to a guy in a worse position who then balloons it wide.

Roscommon forwards were far more direct and brave, always willing to run at goals and shoot when there was a reasonably good chance of a score, rather than recycling it again and again.

Its hard to know who is to blame for Galway's failures in defence and attack, but I'd say the players and management deserve equal blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

C__MC wrote: »
    Extremely poor game yesterday, stop start and galway clueless. It's time for Walsh to move on and let corofin manager have a go. Roscommon were full value for the win but most counties will be praying they draw them in super eights. They have been abject in recent stages of all Ireland, I don't see that changing.

Galway s meltdown under Walsh
    Tipp 2016
    Roscommon 2017
    Kerry 2017
    Monaghan Dublin 2018

Pitch invasion was embarrassing as well, like the stewards have to thwart that IMO.
    Dry your eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Dry your eyes

Amen to that.

Dry your eyes

Just to clarify not the actual one, the one where the game was still on. Embarrassing that. Spectators should remain in stands/terraces until full time whistle goes? Stewards should enforce that? Maybe I'm wrong here...

Was writing about the one prior to full time
    Stewards should stop supporters from going on the pitch until the full time whistle.

The actual pitch invasion is a thing of beauty and is sorely missed on all Ireland final day

Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Address all complaints to Mr Prenty, Bekan, Ballyhaunis

He's always giving out about the Hyde, stewarding and other picky stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

JOD hasn’t really been first choice for a while, mainly due to injury.

Cox is an out and out inside forward. Clifford and Geaney are the players he would need to beat out because Kerry only play two up there now. Geaney has had a lot of niggly injuries and has struggled since 2017 but he had an operation not long ago so hopefully that’s behind him now, he is probably a better all rounder than Cox imo. Cox is in sparkling form but eventually those spectacular efforts will drift wide and people will be asking what has happened to him, jmo. That said, Cox is certainly good enough to be on the Kerry panel at the very least and it looks to be a serious oversight on Eamon Fitzmaurices part that he hasn’t had more chances over the years.

I don’t think it would matter much though, Kerry’s big difficulties are in midfield, centre of defence and wing forwards. Midfield in particular is a disaster altogether and Mark O’Connors decision to play Aussie rules rather than GAA looks like a bigger loss every time Kerry take the field. Moran is pushing on and Barry hasn’t become the player he promised to be initially, there is nothing, and I mean nothing behind them in terms of depth. Until they sort that area out they won’t be contenders imo.

This is honestly unfair with regards to Cox. It’s a Kerry team that finds a squad place for JOD, who hasn’t been a serviceable forward for three or four years, and honestly only had maybe a season and a half at the very top level, probably because of injuries. And then there’s Tommy Walsh, a lad who can barely bend down to pick up a ball in 2019, getting league starts. So Kerry royally fecked up letting Cox get away and you’d be very hard pressed to say he wouldn’t be an improvement over what Kerry are making do with, kids and players who probably should be retired because of injuries. Cox is the link between those two extremes.

And take it from someone who has seen a lot more of Conor Cox than you have this year - his shot selection has been very good, as has his link play. Unlike someone else with plenty of belief in their own skills, Shane Walsh, he rarely passes up an opportunity to play in teammates.

So this idea of him being a selfish kick everything from everywhere forward is pretty clearly born from an out-dated image of a player who, like any good footballer, has matured as he’s entered his mid-20s. Kerry passed up on a player likely to become an All-Star this year. That’s it in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Syferus wrote: »
    This is honestly unfair with regards to Cox. It’s a Kerry team that finds a squad place for JOD, who hasn’t been a serviceable forward for three or four years, and honestly only had maybe a season and a half at the very top level, probably because of injuries. And then there’s Tommy Walsh, a lad who can barely bend down to pick up a ball in 2019, getting league starts. So Kerry royally fecked up letting Cox get away and you’d be very hard pressed to say he wouldn’t be an improvement over what Kerry are making do with, kids and players who probably should be retired because of injuries. Cox is the link between those two extremes.

And take it from someone who has seen a lot more of Conor Cox than you have this year - his shot selection has been very good, as has his link play. Unlike someone else with plenty of belief in their own skills, Shane Walsh, he rarely passes up an opportunity to play in teammates.

So this idea of him being a selfish kick everything from everywhere forward is pretty clearly born from an out-dated image of a player who, like any good footballer, has matured as he’s entered his mid-20s. Kerry passed up on a player likely to become an All-Star this year. That’s it in a nutshell.

I acknowledged how good he is and that Eamon Fitzmaurice clearly made an error not giving him more chances? Let’s see if he maintains this form, I hope he does btw.

And yes while there are deficiencies in the Kerry panel at the end of the day there are only two inside forward spots, Clifford is guaranteed one and is now the chief playmaker. Whether Cox is a significant upgrade over Geaney for the other spot is a matter of opinion. On current form yes but it’s not going to make or break Kerry’s year either way. They have far bigger issues.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Syferus wrote:

To be fair though, if Cox was a good halfback he'd still be with Kerry.

For all the guff some in Kerry go on about heads up football etc, they have some fine forwards in the position Cox plays in. In 2013 when he was on the panel Star was still motoring well too. I don't think anyone in Kerry is saying it was anything but a close call.

I would agree though that Tommy Walsh is not fitting in with modern football following his return and recovery, I honestly don't know why they have him playing in the leagues and he sits out big championship games. I see his value or potential value as an impact sub, but they'd want to pull the trigger on it at some stage. I really don't understand why they don't throw him on as that big impact player in a crucial game. I'd say he's a pain in his backside with it.

It's a fair point though, it's Tommy Walsh not Clifford we should be comparing him to. On that basis I'd have Cox too.

Cox has a full game in him too.

Overall I think it's a great football story. Looking in he's exactly where he wants to be, winning and having his old county worrying if they messed up. This is exactly what Pat Spillane has been discussing for a few years now.

Ross was a good county to go to, not fantastic but with some good footballers with some good wins, he's a real addition.

We might see Yop giving Carlow a dig out next year now, there's life in the old dog yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The cowardice of the Galway forwards against Roscommon was something to behold. Constantly passing the ball sideways, backwards, over and back. Opportunity to shoot? No problem, take another hop and solo and pass it to a guy in a worse position who then balloons it wide.

Roscommon forwards were far more direct and brave, always willing to run at goals and shoot when there was a reasonably good chance of a score, rather than recycling it again and again.

Its hard to know who is to blame for Galway's failures in defence and attack, but I'd say the players and management deserve equal blame.
    2 points in the second half, lost the physical battle completely. The sooner they are out of the qualifiers the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭shockframe

Stoner wrote: »
    To be fair though, if Cox was a good halfback he'd still be with Kerry.

For all the guff some in Kerry go on about heads up football etc, they have some fine forwards in the position Cox plays in. In 2013 when he was on the panel Star was still motoring well too. I don't think anyone in Kerry is saying it was anything but a close call.

I would agree though that Tommy Walsh is not fitting in with modern football following his return and recovery, I honestly don't know why they have him playing in the leagues and he sits out big championship games. I see his value or potential value as an impact sub, but they'd want to pull the trigger on it at some stage. I really don't understand why they don't throw him on as that big impact player in a crucial game. I'd say he's a pain in his backside with it.

It's a fair point though, it's Tommy Walsh not Clifford we should be comparing him to. On that basis I'd have Cox too.

Cox has a full game in him too.

Overall I think it's a great football story. Looking in he's exactly where he wants to be, winning and having his old county worrying if they messed up. This is exactly what Pat Spillane has been discussing for a few years now.

Ross was a good county to go to, not fantastic but with some good footballers with some good wins, he's a real addition.

We might see Yop giving Carlow a dig out next year now, there's life in the old dog yet.

I reckon Tommy Walsh was put to good use in the league because of the mark system. Was worth a go. With that out of the way in championship it's hard to imagine him measure up to the standard of 2009.

Be good for Roscommon to make a decent go of the last 8 now. Their passion for Football is to be admired but the limited resources always seem to count against them as they get to the latter stages.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement