Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists

• 21-09-2019 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Why do they never wear a helmet or adhere to road signs/traffic lights?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Yore ma

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Oh boy, this should be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Because the consequences, like those involved in many risky pursuits, are largely personal.

For the bit of risk they present others, see the narcissitic thread. Everyone has a bit of narcissism running through them

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Oh boy, this should be great!

You said it....

Can you not permo ban for the suggestion they must wear a helmet as they aren't obliged to....

I'm much more annoyed these days with YouTube peddling ads constantly..... It's really really getting to me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭One More Toy

You said it....

Can you not permo ban for the suggestion they must wear a helmet as they aren't obliged to....

You're not obliged to wear a condom but it sure stops hiv

Abba987 wrote: »
    Why do they never wear a helmet or adhere to road signs/traffic

If a cyclist runs a red light causing a serious accident what are the penalties

They tend to die

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

If a cyclist runs a red light causing a serious accident what are the penalties ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I'm a cyclist sometimes and when I am I stop at lights and wear a helmet. If i decided not to I wouldn't hurt anyone but myself.

What's far more worrying than cyclists not wearing helmets and stopping at lights is the amount of terrible driving on show in the roads every day. That's where there's a potential risk to anyone's life, you, me, your family etc etc.

Cyclist bashing is so stupid, pointless and misguided.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Why not ask the folks in the cycling forum? I'm sure they'd be thrilled to answer your genuine query.

• Advertisement

They tend to die

No they don't. Sadly someone lately i know was seriously injured avoiding a cyclist who broke a light. So what will happen to the cyclist ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Do you wear a neck brace while driving?

Studies have showing you are more likely to be in an accident when wearing a helmet a piece of polystyrene won’t do anything against a 40 ton truck.

Traffic signs and lights are targeted towards motor vehicles, cyclists fall between pedestrians and vehicles. Hugging the kerb on a left especially where there is a cycle lane poses little to no risk and doesn’t affect traffic flow.

Cars speeding and drivers using phone are a much bigger issue

If a cyclist runs a red light causing a serious accident what are the penalties ?

Have they ever caused such accident......

jiltloop wrote: »
    I'm a cyclist sometimes and when I am I stop at lights and wear a helmet. If i decided not to I wouldn't hurt anyone but myself.

What's far more worrying than cyclists not wearing helmets and stopping at lights is the amount of terrible driving on show in the roads every day. That's where there's a potential risk to anyone's life, you, me, your family etc etc.

Cyclist bashing is so stupid, pointless and misguided.

You will hurt others if you decide not to stop at lights. They will either swerve to avoid you and potentially be seriously injured or hit you and risk prosecution.
    I dont think its pointless at all. I think its rampant

ted1 wrote: »
    Have they ever caused such accident......

Yes. Its been all over the news too.

How could it not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

You're not obliged to wear a condom but it sure stops hiv
    There are other ways hiv can be spread though. What if you were in a room of people, one of whom had aids. If a mad man broke in and shot that aids infected person to pieces anyone there yawning would get that person's blood in their mouths.

You're on quite the tear OP, your phone should be breathalysed.

*Goddamn pesky cyclists, getouttamyway*

Drunk I am

Yes. Its been all over the news too.

How could it not

Please provide a link to support your claim

Peeps be hatin.....

Seriously on this note, people are in too much of a hurry these days and life was suppose to be easier but with tech some things are worse and not only that we really shouldn't be working 5 day weeks or more it should be 4 day weeks....

Work is a curse and it has been designed to basically kill us all so they have no need to worry about pension deficit.....

They want me to work till 70 at least and I can see that increasing....

Do t wear a helmet but I definitely would advise one is better then nothing when cracking a skull off a solid object...

No they don't. Sadly someone lately i know was seriously injured avoiding a cyclist who broke a light. So what will happen to the cyclist ?

If they are identified and found as a cause they can be fined and if they hold a licence points mat well be applied.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Do you wear a neck brace while driving?

Studies have showing you are more likely to be in an accident when wearing a helmet a piece of polystyrene won’t do anything against a 40 ton truck.

Traffic signs and lights are targeted towards motor vehicles, cyclists fall between pedestrians and vehicles. Hugging the kerb on a left especially where there is a cycle lane poses little to no risk and doesn’t affect traffic flow.

Cars speeding and drivers using phone are a much bigger issue

Very true but saying this a trip over a step at home could make you wheelchair bound or even kill.

If one has a helmet it definitely can assist in taking some force...

I've had falls of bikes/motorbikes and I wouldn't be here only for helmets...

If they are identified and found as a cause they can be fined and if they hold a licence points mat well be applied.

To a cyclists driving licence ? In this case there should be a prosecution for the equivalent to dangerous driving and that's what im asking. Does it exist ? Can a cyclist be prosecuted for causing a serious accident in the same way as a driver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ James Wide Fairy

You mean like motorists who break red lights, speed,drink drive and use there phones?

You mean like motorists who break red lights, speed,drink drive and use there phones?

And kill people on a daily basis.

Of course. But there are laws to punish this.

To a cyclists driving licence ? In this case there should be a prosecution for the equivalent to dangerous driving and that's what im asking. Does it exist ? Can a cyclist be prosecuted for causing a serious accident in the same way as a driver?

Yes yes one can....

If they hold a driving licence this can be endorsed.

It's been done.

There are consequences vis a vis penalty points.

I'm sick of cyclists being so dangerous yet the most vulnerable on the road

Yes yes one can....

If they hold a driving licence this can be endorsed.

It's been done.

Thats very intersting / strange given they are not driving a car. Not doubting you just don't understand how someone who holds a licence can be 'more punished' than someone who doesn't

Thats very intersting / strange given they are not driving a car. Not doubting you just don't understand how someone who holds a licence can be 'more punished' than someone who doesn't

If you don't hold a licence same bans can be given but it wine on an imaginary licence....

So when they apply for learning permit their ban will commence.... 6 months or year etc.

• Advertisement

There are consequences vis a vis penalty points.

I'm sick of cyclists being so dangerous yet the most vulnerable on the road

A lot is just perceived danger, and not actually dangerous.
    What’s more dangerous is the drivers living sedentary life styles sitting in their cars and suffering from Cornnary heart diseases

Advertisement