Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Standard of films comedy today.

• 22-09-2019 7:53am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Im in my 40's and feel that the standard of films and comedy has continually dropped off over the years. Maybe we where just spoiled and growing up it was a golden age for both forms on entertainment. Probably there is many reasons for it but i feel the standard of both have declined over the years. Comedy would include stand up sketch shows films etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

PC now.

Can’t do any jokes without offending.

https://www.out.com/celebs/2019/5/28/seth-rogen-sorry-all-those-gay-jokes

“Like the ‘How I know you’re gay’ thing [from The 40-Year-Old Virgin], it’s something people have been like, ‘It’s not fun to be in the theater when people are laughing at that, knowing what they’re probably actually laughing at.’” Which is just, you know, homophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Exactly as the poster above said, people have ruined comedy by wanting to be offended by every small little thing.

Stand up comedy is in the absolute doldrums because of these pussies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,980 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

lola85 wrote: »
    PC now.

Can’t do any jokes without offending.

https://www.out.com/celebs/2019/5/28/seth-rogen-sorry-all-those-gay-jokes

“Like the ‘How I know you’re gay’ thing [from The 40-Year-Old Virgin], it’s something people have been like, ‘It’s not fun to be in the theater when people are laughing at that, knowing what they’re probably actually laughing at.’” Which is just, you know, homophobia.

Nothing to do with PC - plenty of non-PC movies out there.

Problem is most of the modern comedies focus on cheap laughs (case in point, Rogen) and toilet humour and look more like teenage lampoon movies than actual comedies. The subtlety of Monty Python, for example, has never been replicated.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Problem is most of the modern comedies focus on cheap laughs (case in point, Rogen) and toilet humour and look more like teenage lampoon movies than actual comedies. The subtlety of Monty Python, for example, has never been replicated.

Can you give me an example of a good, non pc, comedy movie released in the last 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The subtlety of Monty Python, for example, has never been replicated.

Ah yes, the subtlety of Biggus Dickus and Big Nose the Jew.

• Advertisement

Can you give me an example of a good, non pc, comedy movie released in the last 5 years?

Life of Brian was non-PC and still one of the best comedies ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Some recent comedies I enjoyed

Films
    Game night
    Thor Ragnarok
    Blockers
    Booksmart
    Spy
    The heat
    Bridesmaids
    Hunt for the wilderpeople
    Good boys (not great but some hilarious parts)

Tv
    What we do in the shadows
    Schitts Creek
    The other two
    Derry girls
    The good place
    Veep
    Fleabag
    I think you should leave
    Game face

There is some good stuff out there but film wise I think the big superhero and similar movies kinda stomp all over the competition.
    I don't think tv comedy is too bad recently, but I guess comedy is subjective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The subtlety of Monty Python, for example, has never been replicated.

He has a wife, you know.

Exactly my point: they could mix non-PC with intelligent satire.

Cases in point: "What have the Romans ever done for us?", "We need action not words!" and the scene where Stan wants to be a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Don’t know if it makes the 5 year rule but Movie 43 for me was absolutely hilarious and is about as non pc as you’ll get. Destroyed by the majority of critics btw, but loved by some.

• Advertisement

Life of Brian was non-PC and still one of the best comedies ever made.

Last 5 years?
    The PC nonsense in this world has ruined comedy.

Hmmm Deadpool?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Odds are when you were twenty, some forty year old was out there lamenting the quality of comedy, and possibly blaming PC culture. When that forty year old was twenty, you can be damn sure some forty year old was giving out about the quality of movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Deadpool 2?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Last 5 years?
    The PC nonsense in this world has ruined comedy.

That's the excuse of the weak comedian.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I didnt like the thunder last night. I suppose thats those damn PC gone mad again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd have thought someone called Rocket Racoon would have enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The deadpool movies were kinda tame in fairness. The movie deadpool and the comic deadpool are 2 very different characters.

There are plenty of non pc comedians like Frankie Boyle etc he gets plenty of Tv time as well.

When it comes to non pc comedy movies (good boys) there have also been a few recently on TV (I think you should leave) I think in general just less decent comedies about.

Deadpool 1&2, both incredible movies, absolutely hilarious. So that's 2(and Guardians) in 5 years.

• Advertisement

Can you imagine how different classics like Seinfeld would be if it was released nowadays, it wouldn't get past the first season. Same with shows like men behaving badly, married with children, bottom etc.

Can you imagine how different classics like Seinfeld would be if it was released nowadays, it wouldn't get past the first season. Same with shows like men behaving badly, married with children, bottom etc.

Seinfeld would have no problem. The others were all overrated anyway.

Seinfeld would have no problem. The others were all overrated anyway.

There are so many parts of Seinfeld that would never be allowed to air nowadays, remember the reaction to 25 year old episodes of Friends when it released on Netflix recently? These freaks would have a field day with Seinfeld.

There are so many parts of Seinfeld that would never be allowed to air nowadays, remember the reaction to 25 year old episodes of Friends when it released on Netflix recently? These freaks would have a field day with Seinfeld.

But the people who decried Friends were mostly ignored. In any case, it's not even all that good.

Whether or not a comedy is good or bad or aired or not aired has nothing to do with how PC it is or isn't.

If you want to decry PC, fine - I'm with you. But if you want to use it as an excuse for mediocre shock-comedy, then forget it.

But the people who decried Friends were mostly ignored. In any case, it's not even all that good.

Whether or not a comedy is good or bad or aired or not aired has nothing to do with how PC it is or isn't.

If you want to decry PC, fine - I'm with you. But if you want to use it as an excuse for mediocre shock-comedy, then forget it.

But my point was that if they tried to make Seinfeld nowadays, exactly as it was back then there is no way it would be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I think the main problem with the modern world is that some people confuse a small corner of Twitter with public opinion. Click-bait media picks up on a few outraged and outspoken Tweets that should have just sat quietly in a little corner on that platform, and make it look like widespread opinion. It’s artificially created, and best just ignored. I mean, that crap about Friends didn’t actually have any material effect on it being shown (and popular) on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The quality of comedy movies has been poor for quite some time.

The talent is all focused on TV and stand up these days which I feel are as strong if not stronger than ever.

The Marvel films are a good case in point. I watched Endgame last night and it had more laugh out loud moments than most comedies I see. Most comedy films these days are wacky and juvenile and get tiresome quite quickly.

Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler, Judd Apatow and co are all people who had one or two good movies in them and were given a ticket to produce several dozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

But my point was that if they tried to make Seinfeld nowadays, exactly as it was back then there is no way it would be allowed.

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia is way more non PC than Seinfeld and is being made to this day. Ditto South Park.

In fact you couldn’t have made those shows back in the eighties or most of the nineties. There’s just no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Earthhorse wrote: »
    It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia is way more non PC than Seinfeld and is being made to this day. Ditto South Park.

In fact you couldn’t have made those shows back in the eighties or most of the nineties. There’s just no way.

There’s also that cartoon on Netflix called Big Mouth which has hundreds of sex jokes per season.

American Vandal Season 1 involved a crime where someone drew a cock and balls on the bonnet of 27 cars belonging to teachers. Season 2 involved investigating a crime where someone put laxatives in the canteen lemonade and caused hundreds of students to get sudden and explosive loss of bowel control.

There’s a wealth of puerile comedy for those of us who were lucky enough to have our sense of humour stop developing at 14.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Subtlety of monty python. Are you doing comedy now? Monty python was closer to slapstick than subtlety. Monty python really only gets laughs through nostalgias now. It’s not very funny anymore. It’s certainly not relevant to what’s happening in culture, but that’s not it’s fault, It’s just old.

But the bit in bold holds the answer. The OP could be phrased thusly: teenage comedies were funny when I was a teenager. Now teenage comedies are stupid and not funny.

Imagine seriously not realising that your own sense of comedy changes over time. There are plenty of comedies aimed at older adults. But probably fewer than are aimed at young people. There probably aren’t many comedies aimed at people over 60 for example. So as you get older they’ll be making fewer and fewer comedies for you.

Advertisement