Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Brockenhurst spectre. Or just Brocken spectre.

I was stubbornly waiting to remember it naturally.

This is a real thing: an uncle of mine who was a mountaineer described it - he had seen it and done it.

I think it needs to be the evening: you stand at the top of a mountain or similar spot with the sun behind you and clouds on the distant sky in front of you, and nothing else between: the sun casts your own shadow onto those clouds and you look like the giant shadowy figure of a person.
    PS It doesn't have to be male, any shape would do the same.

He said it was awe-inspiring but completely natural. A man who loved the mountains, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

That instant snap personality change is certainly unnerving even without a weapon.
    Some people have those creepy blank cold eyes to go with that kind of energu or issues or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Theres a lot of subtle weird stuff that seems to happen regularly with me!
    De ja vu is common pretty random but i do believe its meaningful but dont understand it!
    Other stuff like having a random memory of something say like a friend you've not seen in ages and the next thing you pass them in the street or receive a text from them weird right but happens too often!
    At home myself and the wife are forever thinking literally the same taught nothing major i guess but every now and then we both splurt something we have been thinking about at the same time having had no discussion previously about it i find that strange but interesting all the same!
    The one thing that i do get freaked over is having dreams about meeting people!
    Nothing bad has ever happened but i have had random dreams of meeting people mainly friends or associates that i have not seen in ages as in months or years!
    Its happened to me 3 or 4 times that i can recall id have a very vague dream a person would be in it and low and behold within a week id bump into them completely randomly having not seen them in months?
    There is something more to this world i believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

That instant snap personality change is certainly unnerving even without a weapon.
    Some people have those creepy blank cold eyes to go with that kind of energu or issues or whatever.
    Someone I used to hang around with years ago slit his wrists in front of me, never took his eyes off me once, they were just dead and cold like you say, no emotions at all. He had issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Someone I used to hang around with years ago slit his wrists in front of me, never took his eyes off me once, they were just dead and cold like you say, no emotions at all. He had issues.

This story reminds me of the older brother of a friend I had growing up. He used to be obsessed with satanism and dragons. He legally changed his name to drake or something and believed he had dragon blood in him.

This one night he came to a house party and kept to him self really until he vanished. My buddy and his girlfriend went to bed early and a gang of us thought it would be funny to all run in and do a pile-on on the bed. I was standing at the door and when the first few people dived on the bed I could a hand under the bed. The creep was under the bed of the only lad in the house who had a steady girlfriend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Darksoul

I remember going to Turkey with family for a week,anyways some nearby beach in Kusadasi ,hot day fairly mobbed,parents left me and brother go in the water and arse about,great craic we decided to swim in shallow water and follow the tiny fish in packs and had a game see who can catch the first fish,so after a while the odd bigger fish would investigate as when ya move in the sand the fish swarm around picking stuff from the sand below,anyways about 15 mins I actually caught a fish and lifted it out of water to show my brother and he said "that fish has only one eye" I was like "what ?" and looked at it and threw it away,we tried to catch more but failed,so anyways next day we go to the beach and pretty much end up around same spot as before and do the fish catching by hand and I caught another fish after a while and looked at it and it had one eye,I was like "wtf is this the exact same fish I caught yesterday" ! Parents thought I was lying and talking nonsense but what are the chances of that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

About 15 years ago I had a vivid dream where I had died. I didn’t see how I died but remember the funeral etc. I remember waking up really petrified. I had to drive to my dads uncles funeral that morning so put it down to that. Anyway when I arrived at the church everything seemed very familiar. The candles, flowers etc. But what really freaked me out was my parents were wearing exactly the same clothes as had been in my dream. But i disregarded it as they may have been wearing them before.

Then the hymns were the same and the feeling of deja vows was overwhelming. Anyway, the time came when everyone had to go up to touch the coffin. It’s something I would never do but was on auto pilot. It felt liked something from final destination. I arrived at the top of the church, placed my hand on the coffin and then Bam. I looked at the brass plate where the name was engraved and my dads uncle has the same name as me.,so I was looking at a coffin, with everything exactly as my dream and my name was front and centre. I just ran. Never had the feeling before or after.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

From wiki - Brockenhurst Spectre

D2-D71-C76-1801-4225-982-C-24-FC2-DFDC33-F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Darksoul wrote: »
    I remember going to Turkey with family for a week,anyways some nearby beach in Kusadasi ,hot day fairly mobbed,parents left me and brother go in the water and arse about,great craic we decided to swim in shallow water and follow the tiny fish in packs and had a game see who can catch the first fish,so after a while the odd bigger fish would investigate as when ya move in the sand the fish swarm around picking stuff from the sand below,anyways about 15 mins I actually caught a fish and lifted it out of water to show my brother and he said "that fish has only one eye" I was like "what ?" and looked at it and threw it away,we tried to catch more but failed,so anyways next day we go to the beach and pretty much end up around same spot as before and do the fish catching by hand and I caught another fish after a while and looked at it and it had one eye,I was like "wtf is this the exact same fish I caught yesterday" ! Parents thought I was lying and talking nonsense but what are the chances of that ?

Because it only had one eye, it was very susceptible to being caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Darksoul wrote: »

If it was a flatfish, it would have had both eyes on the same side and none on the other. Normal. (Hint-- it wasn't the same fish...)

• Advertisement

From wiki - Brockenhurst Spectre

D2-D71-C76-1801-4225-982-C-24-FC2-DFDC33-F.jpg

There are some nice weather phenomenon (phenomena?) like moonbows and sun dogs, but the spectre is rather unnerving.

Oh, just remembered, I knew someone who was sort of chased by ball lightning. It descended onto his wife's head! He's on Boards I think so, er, hi :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

My friend just jogged my memory there. I remember maybe it was the 90's and the I R A robbed my local AIB Bank and I recalled after it had hit the news that I walked passed on the day and thought I saw fellas on the roof, to think now that was I R A men who back then were a lethal gang, Scary to think I seen them when they were hiding on that roof, waiting for night to fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

My friend just jogged my memory there. I remember maybe it was the 90's and the I R A robbed my local AIB Bank and I recalled after it had hit the news that I walked passed on the day and thought I saw fellas on the roof, to think now that was I R A men who back then were a lethal gang, Scary to think I seen them when they were hiding on that roof, waiting for night to fall.

Was that the AIB out the back of waterford IT?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

nthclare wrote: »
    I think the cleaner and healthier you are it's easier to get the bad vibes.
    Im not into pseudo science but a friend suggests that when we're near certain people our atoms fire more, or when we're in a dangerous situation.
    Like a horse stuck to the road and won't go any further.

Someone who's a lush or drug addict coke head whatsoever won't feel those vibes.
    They're too sick in the head and disconnected.

spot on. I live isolated and the rare times I am face to face with anyone, I can sense so much about them. Not always welcome either. Part of it IS body language but it is more than that. Seeing behind the language

Was that the AIB out the back of waterford IT?

Yes indeed

Yes indeed

They weren't hiding, they were pretending to be construction workers wearing hi-vis and drinking tea brought over by some residents nearby :pac:

They weren't hiding, they were pretending to be construction workers wearing hi-vis and drinking tea brought over by some residents nearby :pac:

Makes sense, that's why I seen them then on the roof, so it's less likely that me seeing them would of led to them taking me out to cover their tracks haha

Thats gas about the Ra method acting and drinking tea.

They also say the less you watch tv, and the more in tune you are with the natural world, the more honed your sixth sense for the supernatural will be.

Does anyone here like Eddie Lenihan's folklore, out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I remember that well. I can remember walking over the bridge home and seeing armed Gardai everywhere and wondering what could be going on.

Thats gas about the Ra method acting and drinking tea.

?

Well, in acting terms they were totally immersed in the part, after all they were actually breaking through the roof of the building, out in the open, in the daylight, so naturally people just assumed it was repair works :pac:

Enough from me now as this is not creepy or unnerving, sorry folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I was at a funeral recently, very sad, a young man had taken his own life. Had everything to live for but was suffering intolerable inner pain. At the burial, his granny, who had up to this point not said one word during the service, announced she would like to add something. "Reading all of these messages on the flowers got me thinking. Why must we only Rest in Peace- why cant we Live in Peace as well. God rest him".

Those words sent a distinct chill up and down my entire spinal cord. I don't know if that's a paranormal experience or not but the effect on me was profound and kept me awake for many nights thinking of the simplicity of that question. Life is short. Be happy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I remember about 20 years ago at the Galway Races there was an almighty downpour and a big thunderstorm. As the cameras rolled a large ball of light came over the course I think camera transmission stopped as the crew must have taken shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

saabsaab wrote: »
    I remember about 20 years ago at the Galway Races there was an almighty downpour and a big thunderstorm. As the cameras rolled a large ball of light came over the course I think camera transmission stopped as the crew must have taken shelter.
    Ball lightning i experienced it in Limerick over 30 years ago when i was about 7 or 8 very freaky and ultra rare phenomenon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Ball lightning, I've never seen it in person. I'd live to, it looks impressive in the photos and videos I've seen of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I remember that. I wasn’t at the races that day it was about 23/24 years ago. I was watching a lady walk along a path with a buggy shortly before the thunder storm and her hair was hanging in the air from the static. Never seen that before in my life.
    It went from flat calm to this crazy wind in minutes.
    I do think the cameras on top of the grand stand remained running and you could see the mass of people running for cover like water down a plug hole.

I remember that. I wasn’t at the races that day it was about 23/24 years ago. I was watching a lady walk along a path with a buggy shortly before the thunder storm and her hair was hanging in the air from the static. Never seen that before in my life.
    It went from flat calm to this crazy wind in minutes.
    I do think the cameras on top of the grand stand remained running and you could see the mass of people running for cover like water down a plug hole.

I wonder has anyone got that footage, amazing really as faras I remember the cameras continued but commentary stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I wonder has anyone got that footage, amazing really as faras I remember the cameras continued but commentary stopped.

RTE archives probably your best bet.

Did anyone have a premonition of the current covid situation? perhaps a dream or some such? Can't say I did, just saw it coming as the news unfolded.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Went up to the hellfire club once to do a pagan ritual at midnight in October.

We walked up the path to the ruin on top of the hill through the forest. We could here stag grunting.

We entered the ruin from behind ...downstairs on the right.

We had a torch and looked up the chimney.

...we lit candles ...and started ..then all of a sudden drops of water fell on to the flames of the candles ...they went out ..we were in darkness.

TBh it sounds creepy ..but this is the thing ..IT DIDNT FEEL AT ALL CREEPY.

I wasn't scared for some reason. In total darkness ...up at the hellfire club ...on the hill...at midnight in Oct doing a pagan ritual.

Not even when drops of water from the ceiling put out the candles.

• Advertisement

Went up to the hellfire club once to do a pagan ritual at midnight in October.

We walked up the path to the ruin on top of the hill through the forest. We could here stag grunting.

We entered the ruin from behind ...downstairs on the right.

We had a torch and looked up the chimney.

...we lit candles ...and started ..then all of a sudden drops of water fell on to the flames of the candles ...they went out ..we were in darkness.

TBh it sounds creepy ..but this is the thing ..IT DIDNT FEEL AT ALL CREEPY.

I wasn't scared for some reason. In total darkness ...up at the hellfire club ...on the hill...at midnight in Oct doing a pagan ritual.

Not even when drops of water from the ceiling put out the candles.

I thought you were going to say it wasn't water.

Advertisement