Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can I be refused a council house for earning too much?

• 21-02-2020 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Could anyone tell me if I could be refused a council house if myself and partner earn too much? We've been on the list for 9 years now we also have 2 children and only recently my wife got a job which means we both work full time, would our combined wage cause problems?

Comments

Filepio wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me if I could be refused a council house if myself and partner earn too much? We've been on the list for 9 years now and only recently my wife got a job which means we both work full time, would our combined wage cause problems?

You mean, if you can afford to house yourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Surely not as been given a council house isn't based on assessment, getting onto the council list is?

(I would have thought..)

Surely once you're on the council list you're eligible for a council house, until you take yourself off of it or win the lotto ?

Depends what your combined income is...

I mean if your combined income is 40k then I'm sure you're morally still entitled but obviously if someone was being a little greedy and they're combined income was 80/100k a year then I'd be taking myself off of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

JayZeus wrote: »
    You mean, if you can afford to house yourselves?

I desperatly hope the answer to this question is not 'here wife, pack that job in'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I desperatly hope the answer to this question is not 'here wife, pack that job in'

In a lot of cases it is....

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Filepio

We cant afford to house ourselves as we dont earn that much but is there a maximum earning per household if we exceed might cause a refusal? I would hate to be refused after waiting for so long and that my wife recently got a job

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    In a lot of cases it is....

voluntarily leaving a job while on the list should have you sent to the bottom of the list. Attending 50 job interviews and having the interviewer claim that you did make an honest and full effort to secure employment should be required to keep your place.

We cant afford to house ourselves as we dont earn that much but is there a maximum earning per household if we exceed might cause a refusal? I would hate to be refused after waiting for so long and that my wife recently got a job

I believe 50k is the threshold but im sure somebody can confirm or deny that.

No not at all.. I was just putting the question out there to understand what way it works

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

No not at all.. I was just putting the question out there to understand what way it works

Put it this way, when you're given an offer of a house nobody will be reviewing your income. They would have done that when you applied to get onto the housing list

You'll be given the council house on the basis that you're on the housing list already, not your current income

I believe 50k is the threshold but im sure somebody can confirm or deny that.

Hopefully that's the case, I read on the council site that 2 adults and 2 children is 38,500 but I dunno if that is when applying to get on the list? We wouldn't make 50k between us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Are you claiming all that you are entitled to i.e the family income supplement
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/family_income_supplement.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Plenty get a house where both are working but what you pay will be decided on the amount earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Redmen6

citizens information website will give you the info on income thresholds and how income is assessed.

We are getting HAP at the moment

Thanks to everyone so far with your help, any information helps. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

voluntarily leaving a job while on the list should have you sent to the bottom of the list. Attending 50 job interviews and having the interviewer claim that you did make an honest and full effort to secure employment should be required to keep your place.

Hard to prove they left voluntarily....

Hard to also prove they didn’t make an honest attempt at the interview.....

100% agree with you by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Your rent will be assessed on your income. So if your income exceeds the threshold I can see any offer of housing been withdrawn . Although each council seems to make their own decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Plenty get a house where both are working but what you pay will be decided on the amount earned.

Once in the council House are they ever assessed again? If income doubled let's say or what if they won 200k on lotto?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Redmen6

Thanks to everyone so far with your help, any information helps. Cheers

It’s worth making an appointment with Citizens Information, they will give you impartial and accurate advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Could anyone tell me if I could be refused a council house if myself and partner earn too much? We've been on the list for 9 years now we also have 2 children and only recently my wife got a job which means we both work full time, would our combined wage cause problems?

If you exceed the income limits (this varies by location and all limits are listed online) then you are no longer eligible. When you have been assessed and placed on the housing list the following applies:

"Before offering you accommodation, the local authority must review its assessment of your application and confirm that your household still qualifies.

Local authorities are also required to review all applications on their housing lists each year and prepare a summary report.

They contact all households on their housing lists to confirm that they still qualify for social housing support. They also request information about income, family size and current housing conditions.

If your circumstances change, you should tell the local authority so that it can update your household’s record".

It's all available on citizens information site.

• Advertisement

If you exceed the income limits (this varies by location and all limits are listed online) then you are no longer eligible. When you have been assessed and placed on the housing list the following applies:

"Before offering you accommodation, the local authority must review its assessment of your application and confirm that your household still qualifies.

Local authorities are also required to review all applications on their housing lists each year and prepare a summary report.

They contact all households on their housing lists to confirm that they still qualify for social housing support. They also request information about income, family size and current housing conditions.

If your circumstances change, you should tell the local authority so that it can update your household’s record".

It's all available on citizens information site.

Thanks for that, nowhere says what the threshold is when offered a property, probably wont be housed for another few years but with everyone help so far I kinda know what to expect now... thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

In your dreams

Thanks for that, nowhere says what the threshold is when offered a property, probably wont be housed for another few years but with everyone help so far I kinda know what to expect now... thanks again.

Best of luck buddy. Hope something comes up for you soon.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Once in the council House are they ever assessed again? If income doubled let's say or what if they won 200k on lotto?

I lived in a council house '99 to '04 assessed every year by submitting P60. My mortgage repayments were less on the home we bought in '04.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    In your dreams

In my dreams getting social housing is equally as hard to get as working 40 hours a week and saving for a decade, staying out of legal trouble and avoiding substance addictions, like most people

• Registered Users Posts: 11 guy101

Here you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I lived in a council house '99 to '04 assessed every year by submitting P60. My mortgage repayments were less on the home we bought in '04.

Can you put some numbers on that? Did you have an unusually small mortgage?

In my dreams getting social housing is equally as hard to get as working 40 hours a week and saving for a decade, staying out of legal trouble and avoiding substance addictions, like most people

Well none of the stuff you mentioned makes sense but whatever keeps you happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I wish I could get a council house but unfortunately I’m not clever enough. I work for a living, I don’t get paid enough to buy a house but I earn too much to get one handed to me.

What can I get OP?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Can you put some numbers on that? Did you have an unusually small mortgage?

I paid rent every week, in my last year our weekly rent was €124 ( 124×52=€537 pm), our mortgage repayments for the first two years were fixed at €510 per month.

Advertisement