Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do men ever read women authors and vice versa?

Options
  • 22-02-2020 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Reading books for nearly 50 years now and as a male, when I'm browsing books to read, I find I gravitate towards male authors as a matter of course and would hardly ever read women authors. So I'm wondering:
    1: as a male do you/have you read female authors?
    2: as a female, do you/have you read male authors?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

quodec wrote: »
    Reading books for nearly 50 years now and as a male, when I'm browsing books to read, I find I gravitate towards male authors as a matter of course and would hardly ever read women authors. So I'm wondering:

I read good books, don't care who wrote it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm a woman and I'll read both, but I hate the so-called chick-lit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I once watched a film by a female director ( American Psycho )
    Does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'd say males never read female authors, and females never read male authors.:rolleyes: I mean ever. Yeah

I've come across stupid questions here before, but this is up there. Ridiculous question OP. Ffs.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Never judge a book by its author's genitals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

I'd say males never read female authors, and females never read male authors.:rolleyes: I mean ever. Yeah

I've come across stupid questions here before, but this is up there. Ridiculous question OP. Ffs.

I think the phrasing is off, but if OP meant what i think they meant, then the question is valid.

I don't intentionally choose to read male authors, but, as a guy, the majority of authors I read are male.

I don't know why that is, especially as reading isn't as heavily marketed as other mediums, but either I'm sold male authors better, or I've a bias towards male authors.

Edit: rearead OP: he conciously gravitates towards male authors, whereas I, apparently, unconciously do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

i wouldn't mind reading female authors, but I can't remember the last time i did. Any recommendations in the kind of satire / dark comedy range?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I haven't read books since I was a kid, but what sort of actual **** reads books based on the sex of the author?? FFS this is 2020 isn't it?? We're still in Ireland aren't we?? We haven't been invaded by some modern misogynistic, homosexual-sinning, ancient fossiled and primeval country?? I get having favourite authors but this is ****.

Please feel free to sub in **** for a word(s) of your choosing of equal, less or greater characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I've read a bit of Jane Austen novels and the novels of Kate Mosse

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It makes no difference to me.

• Advertisement

jaxxx wrote: »
    I haven't read books since I was a kid, but what sort of actual **** reads books based on the sex of the author?? FFS this is 2020 isn't it?? We're still in Ireland aren't we?? We haven't been invaded by some modern misogynistic, homosexual-sinning, ancient fossiled and primeval country?? I get having favourite authors but this is ****.

Please feel free to sub in **** for a word(s) of your choosing of equal, less or greater characters.

A lot of female authors intentionally hide their sex, so it is a thing, concious or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Honestly think it'd be weird to restrict yourself to reading the works of just one gender. Why would you even want to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I'd say most women would read both male and female authors, while most men would mostly read male authors.

There was a copy of PS. I love you lying around the house, so I picked it up and started reading it, I don't know did i even get half way through, but it just wasn't my scene, way too 'chick-lit' for me...

so I later heard an interview with Cecelia Ahern, and she said she wouldn't consider what she writes 'chick-lit', and PS I love you would be the least chick lit of her books, maybe I'm just not into books written by women at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Honestly think it'd be weird to restrict yourself to reading the works of just one gender. Why would you even want to do that?

I don't think that is what is asked.
    My understanding of the question is do you tend to gravitate(subconsciously) to literature written by someone who is the same gender as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

branie2 wrote: »
    the novels of Kate Mosse
    I read one of hers. Wouldn't read another.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I've read Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings. It was written by JRK Tolkieling.

Covers all the bases...

Just out of curiousity, I'd like to ask everyone saying they don't care what the breakdown of male vs female authors on their book shelf is right now?

Mine is 90% male. Again, I don't intentionally pick based on sex, but I clearly seem to have a bias.

jaxxx wrote: »

So you don't read books but you know all about it. Yeah right.
    I read books a lot, and after many years have learned that generally speaking, I don't identify or enjoy books written by females. As reading a book is quite an investment of my time, I will usually pass over a book if the author is female.
    This is my experience. Sorry if it offends anyone. (ah no, I'm not really.)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

quodec wrote: »
    There's a book that's meant to be gas craic, which I was saying that I'm goring to read it, about some artist that built roads, etc, but someone told me that he died in the end, so decided not to read it.

Other than that, I don't care if a man or woman writes the books that I read.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I have read women authors but I don’t know that we could ever "just" be friends.

• Advertisement

I'd say most women would read both male and female authors, while most men would mostly read male authors.

There was a copy of PS. I love you lying around the house, so I picked it up and started reading it, I don't know did i even get half way through, but it just wasn't my scene, way too 'chick-lit' for me...

so I later heard an interview with Cecelia Ahern, and she said she wouldn't consider what she writes 'chick-lit', and PS I love you would be the least chick lit of her books, maybe I'm just not into books written by women at all

Please don't judge all books written by women based on your experience of that utter trash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ladybird18

No they do not indeed and neither do vice verse. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

pillphil wrote: »
    Just out of curiousity, I'd like to ask everyone saying they don't care what the breakdown of male vs female authors on their book shelf is right now?

Mine is 90% male. Again, I don't intentionally pick based on sex, but I clearly seem to have a bias.

I've over 500 books on my shelves at the moment and I don't have any idea of the ratio of male to female authors. I pick my books based on reviews, recommendations or the blurb on the cover. Couldn't care if the writer is a man or woman, all I want is a decent story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It wouldn't even enter my head when i was selecting a book. I would be much more interested in the type of book and reviews or awards maybe.

As for taking Celia Ahern, for every book of that type there is a silly male written book. So listing stupid books by a female author is a bit of a weak argument.

With novels i read male and female. With history it would be mostly male as I read a lot of second world war which tends to be written by men. Not through choice.

I wouldn't even think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Never judge a book by its author's genitals.

I nearly got sick when I found out Robert Galbraith didn't have a willy 🀣.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I've over 500 books on my shelves at the moment and I don't have any idea of the ratio of male to female authors. I pick my books based on reviews, recommendations or the blurb on the cover. Couldn't care if the writer is a man or woman, all I want is a decent story.

That's my point, so do I. I don't know why i have the specific books I have (mostly recommendatins from my largely male friends, I assume), It just happens that i have a small enought collection with me at the moment to count quickly what sex the autohor is.

I'm not trying to promote any view here, but i find it interesting that my preference seems to align with OP even though it's not something i intentionally choose. I'm just curious as to whether that's the case for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I don't think I've ever read a book by a female, unless you include Silas Marner by yer man George Eliot, which I did in school. It wasn't a conscious decision, there were just certain things I'd want to read, not stuff I was trying to avoid. The music that I'd listen to would be mainly by males too, although the male/female ratio wouldn't be as extremely one-sided as it is with books.

Actually, I used to read a lot of short stories (often science fiction) and sometimes the odd story might be by a female. Does that count?

eviltwin wrote: »

As we all know, on the shelf does not equal read. For those you have read and enjoyed you must have a rough idea of what percentage are female authored. Half?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Judging by the amount of books Margaret Atwood, Harper Lee, Hillary Mantel, Donna Tartt, Wolf, Shelley, the Brontes etc have sold, I'd say it's safe to say men and women read each other.

Now they may confine themselves by genre. There's a definite type of chick-lit that men tend not to touch, but also a the male focused Andy McNab all action type things.

Plenty of middle ground too in there across the genders.

Personally, it depends on if it's the type of book I think I'd like. Last 2 books were by a female author Carys Davies, and the current is by a male author.

I work in a library too, and people just tend to read by what genre they like, by what's been recommended in the media, and then by particular author. Author's gender doesn't tend to come into it.

• Advertisement

I don't read chick-lit, and never aspire to. That's all, make of it what you will.

Advertisement