Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call the Guards or no?

• 08-04-2020 7:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

I've noticed neighbours having people over recently. Last night two sets had people call over with beers, sitting out and enjoying the evening sun. I have a kid out of school and two of us trying to juggle work at home around this. We haven't seen anyone outside the home in nearly a month and it's causing a lot of tension at home, though we know its temporary. I also know someone who couldn't go to a family funeral or say goodbye to a grandparent dying because of the restrictions. So it really makes me annoyed to see other people flouting the restrictions because they aren't affected.
    My husband reckons now that Garda regulations are enforceable (so i understand it) we should be reporting them. I am hesitant - I feel if we are doing our bit, then we should mind our own business. I wouldn't want neighbours thinking it was us either. What do others think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,196 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

maxsmum wrote: »
    I've noticed neighbours having people over recently. Last night two sets had people call over with beers, sitting out and enjoying the evening sun. I have a kid out of school and two of us trying to juggle work at home around this. We haven't seen anyone outside the home in nearly a month and it's causing a lot of tension at home, though we know its temporary. I also know someone who couldn't go to a family funeral or say goodbye to a grandparent dying because of the restrictions. So it really makes me annoyed to see other people flouting the restrictions because they aren't affected.
    My husband reckons now that Garda regulations are enforceable (so i understand it) we should be reporting them. I am hesitant - I feel if we are doing our bit, then we should mind our own business. I wouldn't want neighbours thinking it was us either. What do others think?

Ring them, as much as I'd normally say each to their own, this is an exceptional public health event and people should have the cop on not to gather in groups.

Perfectly within your right to report it and the gardai now have the power to enter the house and break up gatherings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Go for it, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Polar101

Might have to wait until "the others" are there again before ringing, not sure what the guards could do about past gatherings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭endainoz

Some neighbours ye are. I would say to each their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,196 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Polar101 wrote: »
    Might have to wait until "the others" are there again before ringing, not sure what the guards could do about past gatherings.

Yeah there is this, they would have to be doing it again when you report it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,931 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

We are just about to turn into East Germany, reporting our neighbours to the authorities because of what we think they are doing.

Maybe your neighbours don't leave the house otherwise OP.

Maybe their visitors only leave their house to visit them.

Little chance of spread if that is the case.

I'm all for isolating my own family and abiding by the restrictions but I'm not going to call the Gardai just because I think someone else is not.

I wouldnt (would avoid your neighbours though)

The gaurds will long forget you once this over,your neighbours wont forget ya calling gaurds on em

• Registered Users Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

endainoz wrote: »

To each their own doesn't come in to it when they are potentially putting lives at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Sitting out enjoying the sun in the back garden ? Maybe they were two metres apart and keeping their distance .
    I see people here having long conversations in the front gardens . A good two metres apart and no contact .

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vittu

We have seen the same in our estate, it annoys us but we say nothing. Mainly its kids and parents mingling. Impossible to keep kids apart when outside. The thing is no matter the rule/request/situation there will always be those who disregard it. As long as the majority adhere to the guidelines that is more important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭CWF

I wouldnt (would avoid your neighbours though)

The gaurds will long forget you once this over,your neighbours wont forget ya calling gaurds on em

Yeah that's what I'd be saying too. Very tricky situation though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

That’s illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

My neighbour has brought her new boyfriend to live with her in the last week. They’ve decided that other friends can visit and stay overnight too. She has a 9 year old daughter. Lover boy was out cutting the grass yesterday evening. General holiday atmosphere about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

maxsmum wrote: »

As I understand it, the Gardai only got the powers to enforce regulations from today. So any past behaviour wasn't a Garda matter.

It's your choice, but I would bear in mind that you'll be living with these neighbours for a long time after the restrictions end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I would; the longer people like your neighbours flout the rules, the longer we all have to stay home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Will it still be to each their own when someone you care about is in danger? Will the right to have a party seem important then?
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Sitting out enjoying the sun in the back garden ? Maybe they were two metres apart and keeping their distance .
    I see people here having long conversations in the front gardens . A good two metres apart and no contact .

Or maybe they're not, and it's not OPs job to assume that or figure it out. Call the guards and let them make the determination.

That’s illegal.

Yes I know it's against the current restrictions but some people will decide to do that and otherwise adhere to all the other restrictions.

Just like the man I saw shopping in Aldi on Sunday.
    He looked well over 70, based on the restrictions he should not have been in Aldi, but I didn't report him.

If we start reporting everyone each and every time we see someone ignoring the restrictions then people like the OP will get even more stressed because the Gardai will not be chasing up on all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Will it still be to each their own when someone you care about is in danger? Will the right to have a party seem important then?

Or maybe they're not, and it's not OPs job to assume that or figure it out. Call the guards and let them make the determination.

Fair enough . But I would check my facts before involving the guards .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Some neighbours THEY are. They're increasing the risk of spread. It's selfish.

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Electric Picnic, Vantastival, The Cure, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '23 - Stiff Little Fingers, The Wood Burning Savages, Bob Log III, David Kitt, Ludovico Einaudi, DADDY LONG LEGS, The Prodigy, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, The Murder Capital, PJ Harvey, The Bonnevilles (w/Amy Montgomery, Rews, New Pagans), The Undertones (w/Buzzcocks), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

It is in everyone’s interest that this behaviour is stopped ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭endainoz

https://youtu.be/LR4bcuOBRLA

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe your neighbours don't leave the house otherwise OP.
    Little chance of spread if that is the case.
    Pure conjecture and guesswork.

OP, do report them if you think you should.
    Some people think this is a free holiday, and it's not.
    It's a ****ing quarantine eejits, stay the **** at home so you don't get people killed!

Lots of self entitled people around who seem to think they are somehow exempt from the rules. Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Brother in law is quite ill and needs a transplant, didn't stop him going over to a mates house to have a few beers.

Huge risk as the other lad is out dealing with the public so they really shouldn't be anywhere near eachother....

Maybe ring the guards and ask them if they would do drive arounds in your estate/area. That way they are not stopping any individuals but the neighbourhood will see an active presence and hopefully think twice.

biko wrote: »
    Pure conjecture and guesswork.

But equally from the OP

How much do they know about their neighbours visitors lives ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I would; the longer people like your neighbours flout the rules, the longer we all have to stay home.

We all need to remember this part.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

How much do they know about their neighbours visitors lives ?
    More than you I bet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Fair enough . But I would check my facts before involving the guards .

By doing what? Spying on the neighbors? Using a laser level check they're 2 meters apart? Come on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Billhook

I notice my neighbours at something similar, but I don't want to shop them.
    Curtain twitching isn't my thing, not into the whole neighbour against neighbour thing.
    I might need them myself some time.

Drawing attention to myself as a snitch/tout or social justice warrior to the guards isn't a good thing.

If they're not interfering with me, that's ok.

That'll come back to bite you.

Advertisement