Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Call the Guards or no?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Penfailed

By doing what? Spying on the neighbors? Using a laser level check they're 2 meters apart? Come on.

You can't check distance apart using a laser level...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Yes I know it's against the current restrictions but some people will decide to do that and otherwise adhere to all the other restrictions.

Just like the man I saw shopping in Aldi on Sunday.
    He looked well over 70, based on the restrictions he should not have been in Aldi, but I didn't report him.

If we start reporting everyone each and every time we see someone ignoring the restrictions then people like the OP will get even more stressed because the Gardai will not be chasing up on all of them.

It is not their decision to make. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Billhook wrote: »
    I notice my neighbours at something similar, but I don't want to shop them.
    Curtain twitching isn't my thing, not into the whole neighbour against neighbour thing.
    I might need them myself some time.

Drawing attention to myself as a snitch/tout or social justice warrior to the guards isn't a good thing.

If they're not interfering with me, that's ok.

That'll come back to bite you.

So it's ok if people die as a result so long as your street cred is intact?

These are not normal times, grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

endainoz wrote: »

Maybe you can be the funniest guy in the ICU. Except of course it'll probably be someone else who has to pay because you think it's all a big joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Penfailed wrote: »
    You can't check distance apart using a laser level...

Yes that's the important take-home here.

I mean, I own one that does exactly that but whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭endainoz

Maybe you can be the funniest guy in the ICU. Except of course it'll probably be someone else who has to pay because you think it's all a big joke.

I have no problem staying at home and abiding by the rules but reporting in your neighbours is a busybody thing to do. Its not like they are calling into the OPs house for tea. Unless a house party breaks out there's not much point calling the guards. They have enough to be at these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Billhook

So it's ok if people die as a result so long as your street cred is intact?

No not really, its just I don't want to put my neighbours in a position ill regret.
    We're all adults here, and if I'm going to turn into a vigilante and start calling the guards then I will be crossing my personal boundaries.

We live in the country side and seeing into their garden they're only sitting in the garden well apart.
    They've been good neighbours and if they're well apart they're abiding by the rules.

You're suggesting people are going to die so I don't loose my rural cred?

I like the way you suggest that if I don't do anything about it it'll be my fault if someone dies.
    And it'll ruin my credibility.

Am I responsible for my neighbours actions?

If you want to be twitching curtains and go running to the law and get your neighbours in trouble away with you.

I live alone and am abiding with the lockdown etc

Street cred, come on where do you think I am?

Im in an old converted country farmhouse, living on my own beside a house that's like something out of Downtown Abbey.

It'll look great seeing the guards driving up my neighbours avenue and them being told, Willy your neighbour is after telling us you had visitors yesterday evening.

He said that you're potentially going to kill each other and everyone else in the vicinity.

And if he didn't tell us we'd have to arrest him and ruin his rural cred.

My dad was a barrister and he always said, "son never rat out any of your neighbours" , mind your business and walk your own path in life.

Street cred pffft

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

We are just about to turn into East Germany, reporting our neighbours to the authorities because of what we think they are doing.

Maybe your neighbours don't leave the house otherwise OP.

Maybe their visitors only leave their house to visit them.

Little chance of spread if that is the case.

I'm all for isolating my own family and abiding by the restrictions but I'm not going to call the Gardai just because I think someone else is not.

Agree, it reminds me of the lyrics from The Wanderer:

'where men can't walk
    or freely talk
    and sons turn their fathers in'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I hear your frustration tho OP, we have a similar situation where we can see our neighbours front yard clearly. At least 4 times a day cars pull up (I reckon it's 3 of the homeowners kids and their own kids). Kids play out front and the families chat. I have to assume social distancing but it grinds me down as I've no contact with my family or the inlaws in a month, have missed an important birthday and dealing with my toddler not seeing his grandparents. I can't control it their actions and as hard as it is somedays, I have a good rant about it and then leave it to get on with my day. I think any efforts to do anything would be fruitless. I just hope ppl cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

While I believe people should follow the guidelines this whole situation has encouraged a whole cohort of telltales in society. People only too happy to tell the authorities on the neighbours in return for a pat on the back and some internet kudos.

Sounds very similar to north korea and the local party honchos ratting on neighbours. No doubt it was drilled into them that it was for the greater good.
    there nothing worse than a rat.

We currently live in a police state , where they stop you ,check your address and where you are going and order you home if you don't satisfy them. With the powers to enter you home to check you are being compliant.

Terrible that people here are actually cheerleading while their freedoms are eroded.
    Anybody that supports this level of state power is a moron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

My dad was a barrister and he always said, "son never rat out any of your neighbours" , mind your business and walk your own path in life.
    Im not giving anyone credit really but coming from the hood myself, I have an idea about how they think etc.

Grew up in the 'hood' but your oul lad was a barrister...will ya go away with your fairy tales:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i live in an area where if it became known that i "ratted" a neighbour out to the gardai, my windows would be smashed in and the house would quite prossibly be torched. In the spirit of 1798, they dont care for an informant in these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Yes that's the important take-home here.

I mean, I own one that does exactly that but whatever.

I was being facetious. Your level must be very fancy. Mine just does levels.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

paw patrol wrote: »
    While I believe people should follow the guidelines this whole situation has encouraged a whole cohort of telltales in society. People only too happy to tell the authorities on the neighbours in return for a pat on the back and some internet kudos.

Sounds very similar to north korea and the local party honchos ratting on neighbours. No doubt it was drilled into them that it was for the greater good there nothing worse than a rat.

We currently live in a police state , where they stop you ,check your address and where you are going and order you home if you don't satisfy them. With the powers to enter you home to check you are being compliant.

Terrible that people here are actually cheerleading while their freedoms are eroded.
    Anybody that supports this level of state power is a moron

Ok Gemma

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

OP I can understand where you're coming from. I have also been working from home since all this began and apart from having no commute it's pretty full on. I'm having to sit in and work during all this sunshine and we're expected to go the extra mile and be there during lunch hours and outside normal work hours as well. There are conferences, courses and meetings arranged throughout the day which means that I can't get out for even 20 minutes. It's annoying that I'm not getting to do all the "fun" things everyone else is talking about or even catch up on extra cleaning in the house like I hoped to but I'm grateful that I still have a job.

Are your neighbours affecting you directly? Are they leaning over the fence and spitting at you and your children? Are they throwing used tissues and gloves into your garden?

If they are doing none of the above I would leave it. Perhaps they have lost their jobs due to covid-19. I'm all for reporting those who spit in the faces of innocent people but as far as your neighbours are concerned live and let live.

Coronavirus will pass. It will not be forgotten but neither will sneaks and grasses. That's what we used to call people who reported others before all this happened.

My advice is don't bother reporting your neighbours. You have more important things to do and be thankful for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Ok Gemma

If that's the best retort you can come up then ...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

endainoz wrote: »
    I have no problem staying at home and abiding by the rules but reporting in your neighbours is a busybody thing to do. Its not like they are calling into the OPs house for tea. Unless a house party breaks out there's not much point calling the guards. They have enough to be at these days.

You don’t get it at all. We are trying to prevent the spread of the virus so that we can get control over it so that we can all go back to living our normal lives as soon as possible. So only necessary journeys outside the home are allowed.
    If Mary and Joe next door are bringing John and Kathleen and Michael and Kate from other homes to their home then they are potentially spreading the virus between the three houses unnecessarily. If one of them gets sick then they will all have to be tested (we don’t have enough testing equipment) and they will potentially all need hospital treatment (we don’t have enough hospital beds).
    It’s not really that hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

You know I was just talking to my psychiatrist about this the other day (via video call!) Obviously as a doctor, she's very much in favour of taking every precaution to reduce the spread, but she said that we also need to be mindful of people's mental health and emotional needs, and make reasonable allowances for this.

There's not much point keeping someone physically well if the isolation and anxiety will drive them to suicidal thoughts.

You just don't know what's going on with a person ... in this case, I'd personally be inclined to live and let live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I'd reserve reporting anything for the most egregious cases, the Gardai don't have the resources to respond to much more than that anyway.

If a culture of reporting develops you'll see the usual eejits who love policing other people's activity wasting Garda time to report young people innocently dropping food into their elderly parents, just like all the rabble-rousing about Dublin reg cars that's currently going on down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

paw patrol wrote: »
    While I believe people should follow the guidelines this whole situation has encouraged

We do not live in a Police State, for the love of the children cop yourself on. We are in a pretty serious situation at the minute.

If you are not in breach of the restrictions there is no grief.

Cops are not kicking your door down for the craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

splinter65 wrote: »
    Lover boy was out cutting the grass yesterday evening. General holiday atmosphere about them.

Cheek of them!

Emme wrote: »
    OP I can understand where you're coming from. I have also been working from home since all this began and apart from having no commute it's pretty full on. I'm having to sit in and work during all this sunshine and we're expected to go the extra mile and be there during lunch hours and outside normal work hours as well. There are conferences, courses and meetings arranged throughout the day which means that I can't get out for even 20 minutes. It's annoying that I'm not getting to do all the "fun" things everyone else is talking about or even catch up on extra cleaning in the house like I hoped to but I'm grateful that I still have a job.

Are your neighbours affecting you directly? Are they leaning over the fence and spitting at you and your children? Are they throwing used tissues and gloves into your garden?

If they are doing none of the above I would leave it. Perhaps they have lost their jobs due to covid-19. I'm all for reporting those who spit in the faces of innocent people but as far as your neighbours are concerned live and let live.

Coronavirus will pass. It will not be forgotten but neither will sneaks and grasses. That's what we used to call people who reported others before all this happened.

My advice is don't bother reporting your neighbours. You have more important things to do and be thankful for that.

What is your understanding of why these restrictions have been put in place? Do you understand at all how the virus is spread or the affects on our health system if too many people needlessly contract the virus? I am stunned to be honest at the level of denial going on at this stage in the crisis after all that has been done to make people aware.

Emme wrote: »

If by 'we' you mean complete morons then yes you're right.

Cheek of them!

Yeah Dan. I take it all back. It’s not as if people moving from house to house and visiting friends at home for a few drinks is going to spread the virus around, is it? I mean, so what if the new boyfriend gives the little girl who has type 1 diabetes the corona virus...couple of spoons of Calpol and she’ll be right as rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Billhook

Witcher wrote: »
    Grew up in the 'hood' but your oul lad was a barrister...will ya go away with your fairy tales:pac:

Does education discriminate?

I see snobbery is alive and well on boards.

From the hood to the country pile, some of us can make it more of us fake it.

What's your story ?

Park Avenue to park bench ?

Witcher choice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Witcher wrote: »

Not enough lols for this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

I have zero time for this "police state"/East Germany type of hysteria. "Touting" is a word very specific to the North and the troubles, where attitudes are different to here as well. The sooner this attitude that the state is something that doesn't belong to all of us, is knocked on the head, the better.

That said, I still wouldn't report a neighbour for this unless the behaviour was really bad. The gardai are probably going to be sparing in the use of these powers and might not be able to look into he said/she said kind of situations. The other thing I'd say is nobody is required to be down in the dumps either. If a family (living together) are enjoyinga BBQ in their back garden , or a walk together or even a jog around the road, so long as they are keeping the right distance from others, they are probably just coping with this the best way they can.

Does education discriminate?

I see snobbery is alive and well on boards.

From the hood to the country pile, some of us can make it more of us fake it.

What's your story ?

Park Avenue to park bench ?

Witcher choice ?

When did your oul lad give you these sermons..while on the yacht or in his underpants with a slab of Dutch infront of the telly? You seem to straddle both worlds:pac:

splinter65 wrote: »
    Yeah Dan. I take it all back. It’s not as if people moving from house to house and visiting friends at home for a few drinks is going to spread the virus around, is it? I mean, so what if the new boyfriend gives the little girl who has type 1 diabetes the corona virus...couple of spoons of Calpol and she’ll be right as rain.

Running to the gaurds isnt going to stop.it either though??

Gaurds time and energy is better spent keeping beaches,parks,mountain walks etc closed down and stopping people fleeing to holiday homes around the country spreading virus to general population that way

Complaining to gaurds that your neighbour might get the virus off person she riding,
    seems like shouting at crows,while pigs have broke in and are eating the spuds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If what the OP is saying is correct it's ignorant and disrespectful and as of now against the law, so yes call the Garda.

Advertisement