Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

What doctor prescribed you antibiotics for a confirmed flu?

Not for me, my parents.

The antibiotics were for the coughs.
    I assume the doctor thought they'd infections in chest / lungs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Basil3 wrote: »
    To be fair, it's a warzone out there on the footpaths.

I always lived with the assumption that we drive on the left, so you walk on the left of the footpath. From what I experience every day, I'm wrong

I actually started a dedicated thread to this a while back, and I too was under the assumption that we should walk on the left of a footpath, but I'm guessing that about 85% suggest the opposite, so I now comply and always walk in the right hand side of paths/footpaths keeping 2Mtrs distance where possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

On it possibly being here longer - which if true would be really good news! - at Christmas one of my childer who lives in Germany brought us a really odd dose. I rarely get ill but it flew through the house. Fever, followed by chills, but the only difference was a LOT of nose action. I felt crap for a few days, really zonked out.
    Now considering patient zero for Italy is suspected to gave come from a German dose dated to around mid January - this is my proof number one.
    My proof number two - GERM-any. I mean, come on!!!! ;)

I try to hug people I encounter on a walk to cheer them up to counteract the negativity.

Nothing stopping people being civil ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭jackboy

They don't.

They do. It is widely known. Anyway, it is a bit off topic except maybe it shows how little true diagnosing GP’s really do. If you are young and your symptoms are not too bad then they will just bluff you out of the office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Nothing stopping people being civil ffs

dcf269699ec57d0b315229ebdb2c9713.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

A French health officient said on the radio this morning that they did spot checks in the most affected area of the country and the estimate that 10-15% of the population had the virus and has immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

I'll certainly continue to walk the footpaths with my family. Any numpty that wants a 2m separation is more than welcome to walk out into the road, with any luck a few will be mown down so we don't have to put up with their insufferably sh;te.

You are dead right, plus you are teaching your kids valuable lessons regarding how the world just revolves around them , if anything we are really short of self entitlement in these modern times.

jackboy wrote: »
    They do. It is widely known. Anyway, it is a bit off topic except maybe it shows how little true diagnosing GP’s really do. If you are young and your symptoms are not too bad then they will just bluff you out of the office.

"Widely known". usually means "it has happened to me".

Your experience and those of anyone you know doesn't stretch to "almost all" doctors so maybe rein it back in to something a little more accurate.

dcf269699ec57d0b315229ebdb2c9713.jpg

seems there is

• Advertisement

seems there is

It seems you misinterpreted the post completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Drumpot wrote: »
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/coronavirus-kills-woman-three-sons-21831699

There were stories like this in China aswell , entire families being wiped out by the disease.

Since They haven’t found the answer to why some get it worse then others I wonder if family genes play a significant role.

Type A blood gets hit much harder than others, non whites are hit harder than whites. Men are hit harder than women.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Ring the pharmacy and ask. They may be in a position to extend based on what it is and history of giving it to you. If they can't, ring your doc and they can issue the prescription and someone can pick it up for you

This, plus if the pharmacy cannot extend the prescription, when you contact your GP and they issue a new prescription they should be able to send it directly to your usual pharmacy do it can be prepared and ready for collection for you. You could save having to do multiple trips this way.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Danzy wrote: »
    Type A blood gets hit much harder than others, non whites are hit harder than whites. Men are hit harder than women.

Do you have a source for that?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We should all be protecting ourselves now as if we didn't catch this virus.

No point in saying what you had before the Christmas was Covid-19. There's no way of knowing.

It is spreading so rapidly now I can't understand how it could have been around so long. If it had gone unchecked (in pretty much all countries outside China) since November our ICU beds would have been overrun months ago.

I've heard these stories about it "being around" since November, but it simply does not make any sense to me. I have little doubt "something" was around, and I understand there was an increase in pneumonia deaths around then, but I cannot see how it could have been Covid-19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

I'll certainly continue to walk the footpaths with my family. Any numpty that wants a 2m separation is more than welcome to walk out into the road, with any luck a few will be mown down so we don't have to put up with their insufferably sh;te.

All your posts on this thread are disgraceful but this one really shows you up for the type of person you are. You truly are a disgusting person and your attitude matches it. I'm grateful the majority of people in Ireland aren't like you.

You're pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

ellejay wrote: »
    I wouldn't discount their claims.

I've two relations that came back from Wuhan in November.
    They got seriously bad "flu"
    Their parents got it too.

Their aunt and cousin came out to mind them, they also got it.
    I got it, OH got it, and my own parents got it aged 69 and 74.
    They were both prescribed double doses of antibiotics and one was on steroids also.
    I was using a friends inhaler cause I couldn't breathe (yes I know I shouldn't have.)

We all had mentally bad coughs and high temps.
    I was one step away from going to A&E and actually I think I'm still traumatised by how sick I was.

I'm now fully convinced we had the Covid19 Virus.
    Our symptoms were so similar to what is being described now.

I would LOVE to have it confirmed.

There's a part of me that thinks I had it from just before Christmas, I had the fever and an awful weak feeling that went on for weeks, I had a sinus infection around that time and did 3 rounds of antibiotics, went back to doctor and described the symptoms and was told oh no that's some sort of virus, don't know how many times I sat on the side if the bed and contemplated going into A&E.ive never had anything like it

On a side note from all this...one thing I've learned... How beautiful is Wuhan city, some blade runner type sh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Legendary guitarist/singer songwriter John Prine died from covid today aged 73, sad news, RIP John.

https://www.uncut.co.uk/news/john-prine-has-died-aged-73-123850/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It seems you misinterpreted the post completely.

if you were not being deliberately facetious in an attempt to ridicule my point I apologise. I am trying to juggle conference calls, a 4 and 7 year old and boards so may not always get the point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

shocksy wrote: »
    All your posts on this thread are disgraceful but this one really shows you up for the type of person you are. You truly are a disgusting person and your attitude matches it. I'm grateful the majority of people in Ireland aren't like you.

You're pathetic.
    I wouldn’t give it any more fuel . Like Corona if it has no host it will fizzle out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Danzy wrote: »

Very interesting study here on blood type by country:

https://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2014/11/07/distribution-of-blood-types.html#prettyPhoto

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Is it time to take extra measures in Dublin?

The Dublin hospitals will add some capacity but if we are heading into the surge period should anyone who looks like becoming seriously ill be diverted to elsewhere around the country, and if so will that create a knock on problem in the regions.

Should the government prepare for the potential of an extended peak in Dublin?

The Mater has filled its traditional ICU beds, but was expecting this and now has a range of other options, so things are still under control. The issue is controlling new cases, which is probably happening if everyone does not feck off for Easter.

Unlike France we won't have to load patients on high speed trains to send them to the provinces, which is just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

mike_ie wrote: »
    Do you have a source for that?

Source and linky.
    The crutch of the research shy

Beasty wrote: »
    It is spreading so rapidly now I can't understand how it could have been around so long. If it had gone unchecked (in pretty much all countries outside China) since November our ICU beds would have been overrun months ago.

I've heard these stories about it "being around" since November, but it simply does not make any sense to me. I have little doubt "something" was around, and I understand there was an increase in pneumonia deaths around then, but I cannot see how it could have been Covid-19

I had this thing before xmas,got it after coming back from a holiday....everyone in work got it,and most my family aswel over xmas and the lads in work families aswell....roughly 2 weeks after me

None got pneumonia though,but i certainly dont ever want to be that sick again,never experienced anything like it.....im not taking any chances for fear this cv19 is worse

Drumpot wrote: »
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/coronavirus-kills-woman-three-sons-21831699

There were stories like this in China aswell , entire families being wiped out by the disease.

Since They haven’t found the answer to why some get it worse then others I wonder if family genes play a significant role.

Transmission between people who live together or have frequent contact with each other is obviously incredibly hard to avoid, so it can't be surprising that you have families coming down with it at the same time.

Meanwhile, the media are going to report on strikingly tragic stories like this, but not on cases where "entire family RECOVERS from coronavirus".

Perhaps there is indeed a genetic element to how it affects people but correlation is not causation.

i also noticed that the ages of the victims in this reported cases were given as 86 (the Mum), and her sons who were 71, 58 and 61.

I don't know their medical history, obviously, but all three sons were of an age where any entrenched issues around weight, heart disease/blood pressure etc could all have affected them badly. A genetic issue is not the only possible explanation for what happened here.

These deaths are still incredibly sad. I'm not convinced that they are being reported in the media with the right motivation.

I do note that the the article concludes as follows:

"Governor of Louisiana John Bel Edwards is trying to tackle the racial disparity in deaths.

The toll of coronavirus on New Orleans has been greater than in other cities, with the death rate around twice that of New York.

Officials say this is because of the city's high levels of obesity and related health issues such as diabetes and hypertension.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

splinter65 wrote: »
    Just want to confirm this. RTÉ News Now

Mater ICU unit is almost always full, I wouldn't worry about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I actually started a dedicated thread to this a while back, and I too was under the assumption that we should walk on the left of a footpath, but I'm guessing that about 85% suggest the opposite, so I now comply and always walk in the right hand side of paths/footpaths keeping 2Mtrs distance where possible.

This is a bit of a bugbear of mine and I know we've got bigger things on our plate at the moment but on several of the walkways around Cork city, there are signs asking people to walk or cycle on the left and pass on the right yet the majority do the opposite. To me it's intuitive to do what you would on a road.

if you were not being deliberately facetious in an attempt to ridicule my point I apologise. I am trying to juggle conference calls, a 4 and 7 year old and boards so may not always get the point

I wasn't ridiculing your point at all. I agree with it.

It was just a joke about people being anxious about physical distancing and offering a hug to alleviate the anxiety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Then theres people that walk the wrong side of the road in rural areas

What's the 'wrong' side?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement