Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

UrbanFret wrote: »
    You're going to have a tough time of it with that line of thinking. We're holding steady that's progress.

We had our highest ever death total yesterday!

It's almost like some people have become desensitized to the fact that these are real people dying everyday... and quite a lot of them. They're not just statistics!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Stop telling lies

Did you not listen to the news?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Jesus wibbs as someone who normally contributes brilliantly to most forums we cross paths in that's a very negative post. You didn't strike me as the "sure I'd do better than the guberment" type but the above post does give off more than a hint of this. So anything anyone can do that you'd give actual credit to ?
    I'm cautiously negative Itsso, because we haven't done nearly so well as we could have and we need to face the facts here. We are in the world top ten of percentage dead per million, even with the massive advantage of our low population density and mostly non shared living arrangements. That is not in any way doing well and that feeling has to change if we hope to do better. The list of screwups by our leadership is a long enough one.

I'm also not saying I'd do better Itsso, I am saying that other nations have done better and we should emulate them, not sit around playing catch up and being reactive rather than proactive. We need to decouple from the WHO advice for a start. Rather not be so slavish to them and have the balls to have some independent thought(and pigs might fly in the HSE). Something that has been seriously lacking.

The government only shut down Paddy's day after local councils did. A reactive stance and at the eleventh hour. Many businesses had already closed down, or reduced workers and implemented working from home before the government did. The government did nada regarding the risks of events like Cheltenham. The government didn't and still haven't put in health checks or restrictions or quarantine on our borders. The government didn't get serious about providing PPE to our frontline health workers until last week for god's sake. The HSE stated asymptomatic transmission was of very low risk, even if you were living with a covid contact person, a month after the dogs on the street knew this was a nonsense. The government is still dead set against the wearing of masks in public, because the WHO told them to, yet more and more nations are copping on this is major weapon along with hand washing and distancing in stopping the spread of this virus. And they won't change their mind until the WHO tell them to. Never forget the government said it was OK to visit people in care homes not so long ago. Care homes which have seen some of our highest number of deaths. Even when Italy's elderly were already dying like flies and it was known to be clearly targeting the elderly since early January. Our testing has been a bloody farce, with some waiting over two weeks for a result. It's taken until the other day before the government gave the Guards the tools to actually help do their job in reducing the number of idiots in the community spreading this virus.

And you think we should be positive? I fear we're sheep being led by sheep at this stage and that needs to change now. And since pigs might fly before the HSE get their collective fingers out, we as a people should all do this: Stay the hell at home unless for shopping(once maybe twice a week) and 2km distance exercise. Wear a mask when you're in public. All workers in the public domain should wear masks. Wash your hands before you leave the house and when you get back and use hand sanitiser when out and about if you're in contact with surfaces. That's what I would do and what we all could and should do.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Do they not include the positive tests from the German lab in the total cases ? A bit odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

365 new cases, 25 new deaths. RIP

Jesus, the numbers are still climbing.

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Bodies are starting to pile up abit now alright

They expecting 800 to 1000,we're at 210,so a fair bit to go yet, unfortunately

The death toll is now 235.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

is_that_so wrote: »
    In the number of new cases, yes.

The 6% growth quoted for today was as a percentage of total cases.

New Cases there were 370 on Monday, 345 Yesterday and 365 today.
    That's all very steady

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

And did you not listen to the press conference that's on now when they said there is capacity outside of the normal baseline. They have the additional capacity that has been planned for weeks.
    There is currently 147 in ICU around the country.

147 people remain in ICU, 27 have died, 53 have been discharged to date, 80% of cases had an underlying condition, with a median age of 61

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Stheno wrote: »
    That's incorrect, the original ICU beds in some hospitals are full

They have additional beds

Correct, there's plenty of additional beds.

FWIW - ICU beds are full most days, that's how it works (at least in the busier hospitals). Mater with their 18 regular ICU beds will tend to put 18 sickest patients in the hospital in there and then move people out as they get better or sicker people come in.

This is completely different to being at capacity, which we're no way near yet. Unfortunately, the Irish Times ran a story on this today which was a bit misleading, I assume that's where the OP is getting their info.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Amirani wrote: »

I'm sure Simon Harris already knows how many people have requested tests how many tests are outstanding and the length of time they are outstanding.

How the hell is Louise O'Reilly going to collate better numbers off the back of Twitter responses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    Do they not include the positive tests from the German lab in the total cases ? A bit odd
    Yeah, they do, he mentioned 6% positive. Will be fed into the data model and they'll report on that tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Corkgirl20 wrote: »

Yes, 99 cases in today's numbers out of over 1000 tests in Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

They are counting total accumulative positive tests, so you are wrong.

ODB was responding to a poster who was questioning the optimism surrounding a lessening RATE of increase

The RATE of increase can indeed lessen as cases accumulate

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

bekker wrote: »
    Confirmed that ICUs are at practicable capacity in three of the major hospitals in Dublin.

That's incorrect.

From the new cases today - how far back were they tested?

Is there much community transmission?

It doesn't look like our restrictions are working, does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm cautiously negative Itsso, because we haven't done nearly so well as we could have and we need to face the facts here. We are in the world top ten of percentage dead per million, even with the massive advantage of our low population density and mostly non shared living arrangements. That is not in any way doing well and that feeling has to change if we hope to do better. The list of screwups by our leadership is a long enough one.

I'm also not saying I'd do better Itsso, I am saying that other nations have done better and we should emulate them, not sit around playing catch up and being reactive rather than proactive. We need to decouple from the WHO advice for a start. Rather not be so slavish to them and have the balls to have some independent thought(and pigs might fly in the HSE). Something that has been seriously lacking.

The government only shut down Paddy's day after local councils did. A reactive stance and at the eleventh hour. Many businesses had already closed down, or reduced workers and implemented working from home before the government did. The government did nada regarding the risks of events like Cheltenham. The government didn't and still haven't put in health checks or restrictions or quarantine on our borders. The government didn't get serious about providing PPE to our frontline health workers until last week for god's sake. The HSE stated asymptomatic transmission was of very low risk, even if you were living with a covid contact person, a month after the dogs on the street knew this was a nonsense. The government is still dead set against the wearing of masks in public, because the WHO told them to, yet more and more nations are copping on this is major weapon along with hand washing and distancing in stopping the spread of this virus. And they won't change their mind until the WHO tell them to. Never forget the government said it was OK to visit people in care homes not so long ago. Care homes which have seen some of our highest number of deaths. Even when Italy's elderly were already dying like flies and it was known to be clearly targeting the elderly since early January. Our testing has been a bloody farce, with some waiting over two weeks for a result. It's taken until the other day before the government gave the Guards the tools to actually help do their job in reducing the number of idiots in the community spreading this virus.

And you think we should be positive? I fear we're sheep being led by sheep at this stage and that needs to change now. And since pigs might fly before the HSE get their collective fingers out, we as a people should all do this: Stay the hell at home unless for shopping(once maybe twice a week) and 2km distance exercise. Wear a mask when you're in public. All workers in the public domain should wear masks. Wash your hands before you leave the house and when you get back and use hand sanitiser when out and about if you're in contact with surfaces. That's what I would do and what we all could and should do.

One reason for this. Cheltenham.

New guy is good - Liam Woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

bekker wrote: »
    Confirmed that ICUs are at practicable capacity in three of the major hospitals in Dublin.

224 ICU 53 discharged recovered from ICU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

A growth in cases is good???

You hardly thought there would be no new cases today?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You clearly didnt tbh

• Advertisement

Phoebas wrote: »
    I'm sure Simon Harris already knows how many people have requested tests how many tests are outstanding and the length of time they are outstanding.

How the hell is Louise O'Reilly going to collate better numbers off the back of Twitter responses?
    Ladies and Gentlemen I give you our Minister for Health!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,409 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

George lee said “bad” with a bit too much effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Do ye think social distancing and working from home etc will end in the next few weeks ?

Both are extremely likely to continue for some time yet possibly for a month or two at a guess. We'll have to see what happens after that but no, not for the foreseeable future. :)

Wibbs wrote: »

I wrote this earlier. The government were really putting economic activity way ahead of this threat to public health. It looked as if they were going to go for a herd immunity approach the way the UK was taking at the time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

He sounded almost gleefull

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

My aunt was one of the 25 today, an awful feeling.

My Condolences

RIP those 25

The numbers are increasing surely with our lockdown restrictions some decline, curve flattening should be visible

• Registered Users Posts: 39,409 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Rte need to remove George lee off this story and get fergal bowers or someone else ask questions. He’s depressing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

And did you not listen to the press conference that's on now when they said there is capacity outside of the normal baseline. They have the additional capacity that has been planned for weeks.
    There is currently 147 in ICU around the country.

147 people remain in ICU, 27 have died, 53 have been discharged to date, 80% of cases had an underlying condition, with a median age of 61

Have they got the medical staff to look after the critical cases in ICU?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

George Lee is a horrible little man who thrives on giving the nation bad news. Before C19 is was forever dooming and glooming about the environment.

When he comes on I switch over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    224 ICU 53 discharged recovered from ICU

Unfortunately 20 something who ere in ICU died as well.

Overall Current ICU numbers in the country remain steady.
    There are more ICU beds in other hospitals if there are too many in one hospital or another anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement