Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

I didn't see all the press conference but there seemed to be a vibe of 'look, testing/contact tracing doesnt really matter like we thought it did." There was talk of 15000 tests a day while ago, with 6-lane drive thru testing centres etc. Has there been a change of tack?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Funkfield wrote: »
    Is it just me or has the standard of journalist question gone through the fcucking floor on these briefings?

Every day they ask is there a date for when we will lift the restrictions. It's the same answer every day so why keep asking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

The sh!the I'm spreading? Can you not see what's happening around Europe. Even our closest neighbour had over 900 deaths today. "Ah but sure we introduced measures earlier"... Like fcuk we did, doctors coming home from holidays and told to go into work unless they showed symptoms. Allowed to get of a plane in Dublin airport and you were free to go anywhere you want without quarantine.

Its not your job to worry about all of Europe, Ireland, or all the ICU's. Its not your job to worry about all the people dying. You can if you want but your not helping by fretting and posting it like a maniac.

Look after yourself and yours and for the sake of your mental health consider taking a break from virus related social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

That's an ICU in one hospital. And apparently that particular ICU is always approaching capacity.

You actually post such ****e it's sickening. And it's worse that some poor souls on here will resd your ****e and pass it on as fact. Spreading misinformation and anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭boardise

Trolling or naivety? Can't quite figure you out.

Might be a clue in username .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

I didn't see all the press conference but there seemed to be a vibe of 'look, testing/contact tracing doesnt really matter like we thought it did." There was talk of 15000 a day a while ago with 6-lane drive through testing centres etc. Has there been a change of tack?

the mass testing strategy only works if you can deliver it. it seems like only a handful of countries were able to get their **** together fast enough to do it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Funkfield wrote: »
    Is it just me or has the standard of journalist question gone through the fcucking floor on these briefings?

It was always appalling. The CMO etc. have the patience of saints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

gabeeg wrote: »
    Please! I'm sure we'd all love to hear how "mild" amounts of travel is helpful when trying to stop a killer virus spreading.

Please continue, the floor is yours

My God. I suppose this is an indicator of what the general population understands is going on. Crikey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

There's hardly any point in contact tracing anymore, is there? Not until the new infections get back down to 30/40 a day and that's with a comprehensive testing program. Contact tracing is a waste of time now.

Testing clearly isn't a waste of time but if we can't get the products and get the turnaround time down to a couple of days, perhaps it's also a waste of resources? Just get the frontline tested so that they know when they can go back to work, and wait for the antibody test, and roll that out on a comprehensive basis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

One prominent poster needs to stay away from the thread for a couple of days. Reads as someone that's losing the plot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

froog wrote: »
    the mass testing strategy only works if you can deliver it. it seems like only a handful of countries were able to get their **** together fast enough to do it properly.

Maybe we won't need mass testing after all. The numbers appear to be remaining quite manageable once we can keep going with the current approach. That's the key. I was just wondering if they have quietly abandoned the strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The ICU is full but the HDI isnt so they have scope to move ventilated patients into High Dependency .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭boardise

Gynoid wrote: »
    I mean this in the best possible way. If you get too distressed by how things are, you will do no good for yourself. It is as it is. All we can each do individually is patiently wait.
    There is a great Taoist/Confucian concept called 'wu wei' and it is almost perfect for these times we are in. Doing nothing. Effortless non doing. Watchful waiting. Patient abiding.

In 2 weeks time we will know so much more, and even more in a month. Now we cannot know or even really predict. We cannot fight against how things are.
    But we can do nothing. Peacefully.
    It is a terrible time for those who suffer badly with this virus, for those who die and their loved ones. It is a terrible time for those charged with going into battle on any front with it. All the rest of us can do is practise wu wei.

Great post there Gyny -an adornment of the thread ...so informative and delicately toned.
    The Wu Wei concept reminds me of the Italian 'Dolce far niente' which has been a guiding principle for my 'wei' of life all through. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    One prominent poster needs to stay away from the thread for a couple of days. Reads as someone that's losing the plot.

To be fair the majority posting in this thread have lost the plot several weeks ago.

Oh no, I never heard all the hospitals in the country bar one closed. Must have been shut to free up cash to buy houses in Connemara for everyone in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Field east

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Virgin Media News at 5.30 confirmed that 3 Dublin hospitals Mater, Beaumont and I think St. James ICU are at capacity

Totally incorrect. You need to listen the appropriate professionals in the know and not someone with hidden agendas, who cherry pick , bias reporters , etc, etc.
    Taking the above as an example, it’s no wonder that Dr Holohan and other senior trying to overall manage the situation constantly refer to be careful where you get your information from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Edwina Currie was on Sean O'Rourke this morning and saying that the Irish situation is worse per capita than the UK.
    A load of old crap Edwina.
    O'Rourke did not correct her on this. They have nearly 4 times as many deaths per capita and the only reason that we have more cases per capita is we do more testing.

Exactly, at the end of the day it's about the people we lose and at the moment there is no comparison between the two countries. I hope I'm wrong but things are not looking good in the U.K at the moment.

But she's typical of many Tories. She's on a programme on BBC at the moment as one of a group of "celebs" walking a trail from Belgrade to Istanbul, I never had any opinion either way about her but she doesn't come off as particularly bright on this, made me wonder how she got as far as she did but then she was a "confidante" of Major.

Field east wrote: »
    Totally incorrect. You need to listen the appropriate professionals in the know and not someone with hidden agendas, who cherry pick , bias reporters , etc, etc.
    Taking the above as an example, it’s no wonder that Dr Holohan and other senior trying to overall manage the situation constantly refer to be careful where you get your information from

The maters ICU is full...they've said as much

They are adding extra capacity in the hdu,but their icu is most deffo full

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I was out walking the dog around my village earlier and I got caught in a line of people doing a guard of honour for someone who had died. I don’t think they died from the virus, but even if they didn’t, the funerals are all following the same formula these days. I stood aside as the hearse passed with a solitary five or six cars behind it, as the line of people each side clapped and sobbed. It was so... up close and personal. It honestly shook me and I got emotional as I walked away from it. Off the cars went, straight from the hospital to the graveyard, not even allowed the grace of a few prayers for comfort (whether you’re a believer or not, I’m not, but I find Irish funerals beautiful)
    It was just so upsetting. And this is going to be par for the course now for anyone who finds themselves with a loss over the coming weeks/months.

As hard as it is to say goodbye to someone, I can’t even imagine how upsetting it is to not even be given the chance to say goodbye, to process it, to celebrate them and to give them a farewell. Ah Jesus it’s just so shlt.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Seamai wrote: »
    I hope I'm wrong but things are not looking good in the U.K at the moment.

But they're problem is our problem when there's open borders between both nations. We'll find this out in earnest when summer travel starts. Irish governments have never put Irish citizens first, never

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The maters ICU is nearly always full this isn't something new. The extra capacity being added is ICU beds in hdu and other wards. This was all covered in the press conference

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Its not your job to worry about all of Europe, Ireland, or all the ICU's. Its not your job to worry about all the people dying. You can if you want but your not helping by fretting and posting it like a maniac.

Look after yourself and yours and for the sake of your mental health consider taking a break from virus related social media.

I'm sorry for caring.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

There is absolutely no problem as they can use the HDU for ventilated patients
    The forward planning is working and hospitals had these measures ready

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I was out walking the dog around my village earlier and I got caught in a line of people doing a guard of honour for someone who had died.

It speaks well for us as a people and country that we do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ECDC "In the absence of a vaccine, physical distancing measures of some kind will therefore need to remain in place for at least some months, in order to ensure that demand for healthcare does not exceed availability." https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/rapid-risk-assessment-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-pandemic-eighth-update

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

Would anyone have an opinion when travel restrictions will be lifted? Waiting to go collect a puppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Current EU thinking - from Guardian feed @17.26 There'll be a paper on it soon.
    The European commission has advised EU member states to extend restrictions on non-essential travel until 15 May but is preparing to issue a “roadmap” on a coordinated lifting of Europe’s lockdown, Daniel Boffey, the Guardian’s Brussels bureau chief, reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Would anyone have an opinion when travel restrictions will be lifted? Waiting to go collect a puppy.
    If you mean the 2km, I'd guess by the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Your puppy will be a dog by the time the restrictions are lifted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭blackcard

JDD wrote: »
    Okay so back to figures.

So we can't rely on number of new positives as an indication of how well we are doing at social distancing/isolation/cocooning as a country. New positives are completely a product of how many tests results you are issuing, and we all know our issues there. Suffice to say that the 365 today is test results for people who took a test two weeks ago. And most of those people would have only taken the test a couple of days after symptoms showed up, and the average incubation period is five days. So the new cases today are people who got infected in or around the first weekend after the schools closed (14/15 March), and possible before that.

Number of deaths is a slightly better indicator, though it appears that our handling of infections in nursing homes is resulting in an unforeseen increase in our death rate. It would be much more informative if we knew how many of the deaths so far were of people who were not in a nursing home setting. That would give a better indicator of community transmission the population at large. But as far as I can see that figure is not available, and therefore the death rate is also not a great indicator.

ICU figures suffer from the same issue.

So is there any statistical figures that can be relied upon to give an indication of whether we are going up or plateauing?

I agree, the HSE should provide a breakdown of the number of deaths that occurred in residential care and nursing homes compared to hospitals and the general community. Obviously, the HSE have these figures and it is informing their use of resources.

However if the rest of us had these figures, I think that it would be beneficial. If a high number of deaths were associated with nursing homes and the remaining deaths were low, we might know that the present lockdown measures were working and would boost morale to be able to deal with an extension of the lockdown. If the deaths in hospitals was high, we would know that we have to be more rigid with the lockdown.

The only reasons for not giving us the breakdown may be that the low level of testing and the fact that we are relatively early in the lockdown could lead to the general public jumping to the wrong conclusion and thinking that we could relax restrictions too early.

It could also be that if we knew that there are a high level of deaths in nursing homes, it could cause people with family in nursing homes to panic. I think however that we are mature enough to receive the actual position and act appropriately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement