Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

hard to get the full story here, is it accurate that;

he had coronavirus and was isolating, then his wife got it and they were worried about being able to care for their four year old and so went driving to relatives in case they needed help.

i have to say i don't have a huge problem with that unless i'm missing something? is that not an emergency situation that would be a clear exception to the rules? wouldn't any parent do what they felt was best for their child?

unless he's lying about it all?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

He keeps saying "with great respect", can't beat that bit of irony right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Even if 20 or 30 Tory MPs rebelled, BoJo's majority is so vast that he'd survive it

If that happened a cascading effects happens. That thirty turns into 50 quite quickly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Well that was bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I see #magoocummings is trending on twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

froog wrote: »

he had coronavirus and was isolating, then his wife got it and they were worried about being able to care for their four year old and so went driving to relatives in case they needed help.

i have to say i don't have a huge problem with that unless i'm missing something? is that not an emergency situation that would be a clear exception to the rules? wouldn't any parent do what they felt was best for their child?

His wife's own accounts in the papers contradict what he is saying.

Total disaster.

Testing your eyesight....hmmm let me think....probably the best thing would be a 30 minute drive.....

Zero apology

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Well that was bad!

An absolute car crash. It's going from bad to worse.

/
    Well that was bad!

yes. But it's done. And now all they have to do is wait for it to pass

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't think anything will come of this, some new story will come along in a few days and this will be relegated to the middle pages and eventually will be forgotten.

Cummings has decided that this will blow over and if he brazens it out there's not much anyone can do about it. He's also effectively put it up to Boris to sack him if he wants, figuring that Boris is such a coward that he won't be able to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

is this a bit weird, him basically answering the same questions over and over again with the last hour almost.

When I was typing the above , I was thinking wouldn't it be beneficial if our own politicians were held accountable like this guy.
    What exactly have they done to warrant being held accountable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,082 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Then confirms he was at Barnard Castle and another spot in Durham. But says it was only because he was unsure of his eyesight so he drove a half hour out of the way (hour round trip) to Barnard Castle as a test drive and didn’t ever consider setting off to London and turning back if he felt too sick to continue. Truthy truth there if ever I heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    He keeps saying "with great respect", can't beat that bit of irony right there.

You just know that deep down those words twist a little in his gut every time he has to say them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No. It's not an emergency situation that required a drive the length of the country.

All that was required was to stay at home. Nothing more.

If he was worried about security at home then he can call 999, or I'm sure he had the phone number for Special Branch as well. If he needed childcare then they have those facilities in London.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

gmisk wrote: »
    His wife's own accounts in the papers contradict what he is saying.

Total disaster.

Testing your eyesight....hmmm let me thibj....probably the best thing would be a 30 minute drive.....

Zero apology
    And if your eyesight is dodgy why do take you wife and child with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

The kids uncle lives in London. And as chief advisor to Downing Street, I’m pretty sure if he needed assistance then the govt could have helped him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭threeball

Hes basically admitting to knowingly spreading the disease. His wife is sick, he still goes to work, he feels sick they go from a 350km drive, if they both felt sick they would willingly pass on the virus to family no.2. Even though he was still infectious he was out walking around the woods or at a river or a castle.

You don't have to meet anyone. All you need to do is touch a fence post or have someone touch your car. Everywhere you go you're shedding yet he's decided to do a tour of the UK all whilst knowing he was infectious. And then wanted to return to work inside the period of time where he was still infectious. Its a clusterfcuk anyway you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No he said his wife was sick (but not displaying covid symptoms). She called him home (he wasn't sick either at this stage). They decided to drive to Durham in case one or both of them got Covid.

The point is general public have been beaten around the head with #stayathome yet Dom did whatever he wanted and on top of that admitted driving with compromised eyesight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The real question now is why is Cummings so indispensable to Boris. The focus needs to move onto that.

Forget about Brexit and being a master strategist. There has to be something in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Notmything

robinph wrote: »
    And if your eyesight is dodgy why do take you wife and child with you?

So they can give you directions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭Enzokk

gmisk wrote: »
    Watching this now on sky news.....I didn't think this was possible.....but I actually think he is making this worse....

Badly dodging the questions with regards other times he broke lockdown.

This sums Cummings up,

https://twitter.com/wigsandwords/status/1264955728349061122?s=20

He is smarter and has more intelligence than anybody else.

Beasty wrote: »
    Missed the first part. Was his wife ill before they went up to Durham. If she was, why was Cummings not isolating instead of scooting out of No 10 when Boris was diagnosed?

In fact, is there a chance that Mary gave it to Dom and Dom gave it to BoJo? All due to ignoring the isolation rules

He is saying she was vomiting but had no cough or fever. So he ran home when she was ill, she felt better I think and he went back to work in the evening. I believe later they decided to go to Durham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banner fights back

Apparently we shouldn't be believing everything we see on TV or read in newspapers. By the way, I forgot when Turkey gets inaugurated into the EU.

A typical right wing elitist tactic out of the Trump, Victor Orban and Bolsenaro playbook. When in trouble blame the "reckless liars in the media".

Dom's nauseating "being a victim" narrative is just cringeworthy now.

The press conference has ended. If BJ and his inner circle thinks that's the end of the matter, I'm sorry the charade has just begun. Massive miscalculation on the part of the PM. The repercussions of this are massive.

The small consolation of all this is I certainly won't be shedding any tears to see the Tories in such disarray and choas. It's gone beyond comical, circus like at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

EY4G4CjWoAEIz7h?format=jpg&name=small

New UK driving safety standards just released.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I will just remind everyone that these are still facts about this sorry affair,

https://twitter.com/owen_g/status/1264952487590723585?s=20

Also,

https://twitter.com/EmmaKennedy/status/1264952605182230530?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That is the biggest disaster of an interview/press conference....definitely since prince Andrew one.

He would have been better just saying nothing if he was intent on hanging onto his job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

robinph wrote: »
    No. It's not an emergency situation that required a drive the length of the country.

All that was required was to stay at home. Nothing more.

If he was worried about security at home then he can call 999, or I'm sure he had the phone number for Special Branch as well. If he needed childcare then they have those facilities in London.

so his point that there was no childcare in london was a lie? i mean there's been no childcare in ireland for months now.

not trying to defend him, just playing devil's advocate a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

At least he came up with a new phrase "Should have gone to Castle" instead of Should have gone to Specsavers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 12,911 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Call me Al wrote: »
    You just know that deep down those words twist a little in his gut every time he has to say them.

You assume he's human...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Would this be the same type of can't remember excuse that ameron used for Leveson?
    https://twitter.com/peterjukes/status/1264949629541666816

That's roughly code for 'conveniently forgotten'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement