Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭facehugger99

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yes it is looking positive, but I would say that there is no second wave because of the measures in place to stop that and very little to do with the virus naturally burning out

Evidence that the lockdown prevented thousands of deaths and the health services from becoming overwhelmed - zero.

Evidence that the lockdown prevented a second wave - zero.

The only evidence we have on the lockdown is that it's destroyed the economy and added billions to the national debt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Evidence that the lockdown prevented thousands of deaths and the health services from becoming overwhelmed - zero.

The only evidence we have on the lockdown is that it's destroyed the economy and added billions to the national debt

I didn't say lockdown I said measures and there is plenty of research that measures such as social distancing prevent infection

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Unfortunate we dont have any independent media outlets who would report on this. Only "brazil, mass graves, social distancing, eradicate the virus, stay at home it could save lives, jump in cases"

Last one is my favourite... 4 cases today, 10 cases tomorrow "a significant jump in cases".... makes my stomach t urn

Was lockdown for 2 - 3 weeks needed to get a "strategy" ? Yes. was it needed for 2 months? no. 5 months? you mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yes it is looking positive, but I would say that there is no second wave because of the measures in place to stop that and very little to do with the virus naturally burning out
    And burning out temporarily doesn't mean it won't come back. A vaccine is the best protection against that possibility.

Could be a RANT this is bad

"The Health Service Executive is facing calls from those affected by delays and cancellations to restart the BreastCheck and CervicalCheck cancer screening programmes.

Speaking on Newstalk radio today, 22-year-old Kayleigh was recently told her mammogram was cancelled, despite finding a lump in January of this year, and outlined the lengths she had to go to in order to bring attention to the issue.

Last week, Health Minister Simon Harris said he wants to re-introduce the services' routine screenings as soon as possible, amid concern at existing backlogs, but stressed the issues in getting back up to speed.

The fact that most public cancer screening programmes such as BreastCheck and CervicalCheck have been suspended for over ten weeks is causing a great deal of stress, particularly among women.” “Eleven thousand screens take place each month.

One person dies of cancer every hour in this country. Some can’t be prevented but some can if they are found early enough.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/hse-urged-to-restart-breastcheck-and-cervicalcheck-programmes-amid-backlog-1001567.html

This is getting really outrageous given its 25th of May and posted today. If you post "lockdown saved lives" please bear this in mind. Especially bold parts. Because at this rate, 4 people died yesterday "with covid", did 10 people go about developing cancer due to lack of early treatment and prevention? WTF is this. Are we the only country on the planet to suspend these vital services for 10 bloody weeks + ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭hopalongcass

Could be a RANT this is bad

"The Health Service Executive is facing calls from those affected by delays and cancellations to restart the BreastCheck and CervicalCheck cancer screening programmes.

Speaking on Newstalk radio today, 22-year-old Kayleigh was recently told her mammogram was cancelled, despite finding a lump in January of this year, and outlined the lengths she had to go to in order to bring attention to the issue.

Last week, Health Minister Simon Harris said he wants to re-introduce the services' routine screenings as soon as possible, amid concern at existing backlogs, but stressed the issues in getting back up to speed.

The fact that most public cancer screening programmes such as BreastCheck and CervicalCheck have been suspended for over ten weeks is causing a great deal of stress, particularly among women.” “Eleven thousand screens take place each month.

One person dies of cancer every hour in this country. Some can’t be prevented but some can if they are found early enough.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/hse-urged-to-restart-breastcheck-and-cervicalcheck-programmes-amid-backlog-1001567.html

This is getting really outrageous given its 25th of May and posted today. If you post "lockdown saved lives" please bear this in mind. Especially bold parts. Because at this rate, 4 people died yesterday "with covid", did 10 people go about developing cancer due to lack of early treatment and prevention? WTF is this. Are we the only country on the planet to suspend these vital services for 10 bloody weeks + ?

Somehow i find it hard to believe Germany acted this dumb,but i have no information either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

Wasn't yesterday Sunday? I'm not Leo Varadkars biggest fan but surely he's allowed a day off?? Yesterday was a fantastic day - glad he was able to get out and enjoy it. Way too much fearmongering !

He’s the fear monger in chief! Again I have no issue with him enjoying his spare time in whatever way he chooses. The issue I have is that he does this while closing down perfectly safe businesses and doing untold damage to jobs and the economy.

Nero was well within his rights to fiddle too!

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

Speaking on Newstalk radio today, 22-year-old Kayleigh was recently told her mammogram was cancelled, despite finding a lump in January of this year, and outlined the lengths she had to go to in order to bring attention to the issue?

If that is as presented then it is not a screening issue, it is a potentially life-or-death diagnosis and treatment issue.

If so, it is an absolute disgrace that she is being put at risk for the sake of abstract, and now go-it-alone, theorising on the part of our lockdown hard men. It is time to get real on this.

Our untouchable 'experts' are now completely out of step internationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Where does your 'understanding' come from?

My ‘understanding’ comes from what Revenue told my brother. He worked part time, his earnings would have been significantly less than the €350 a week he’s getting on the covid payment, so his income is bigger now than it was when he was working.
    He rang Revenue to query it and they told him that it may effect his tax credits next year and his weekly tax may increase to try to make back some of the money, but that the government won’t be looking for a lump sum or anything.
    He was told this about two weeks ago. I know that you’ll get a different answer to this question depending on who you speak to in Revenue because they all contradict each other, but that’s what he was told.
    Which is why I didn’t state it as factual, just as my ‘understanding’.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

BREAKING: No new COVID-19 deaths have been reported in the Republic of Ireland for the first time since the outbreak started. 59 new cases have been confirmed

Fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

RobitTV wrote: »
    BREAKING: No new COVID-19 deaths have been reported in the Republic of Ireland for the first time since the outbreak started 59 new cases have been confirmed

Fantastic!

Well done everyone, we did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

SusieBlue wrote: »
    My ‘understanding’ comes from what Revenue told my brother. He worked part time, his earnings would have been significantly less than the €350 a week he’s getting on the covid payment, so his income is bigger now than it was when he was working.
    He rang Revenue to query it and they told him that it may effect his tax credits next year and his weekly tax may increase to try to make back some of the money, but that the government won’t be looking for a lump sum or anything.
    He was told this about two weeks ago. I know that you’ll get a different answer to this question depending on who you speak to in Revenue because they all contradict each other, but that’s what he was told.
    Which is why I didn’t state it as factual, just as my ‘understanding’.

Not quite correct. Revenue will not be trying to recoup the 350 in its entirety. Revenue will be trying to recoup the amount that is owed in tax on that 350. People are receiving it free of tax now but revenue hope to collect tax on it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

BREAKING: No new COVID-19 deaths have been reported in the Republic of Ireland for the first time since the outbreak started. 59 new cases have been confirmed

Fantastic!

Absolutely fantastic but

Dr Tony still not for moving it seems.

Move through the phases in the timelines set out being his quote

Surely some pressure must come now if these low numbers continue.

NO NEW DEATHS.

Woah. This lad, give him a job in our government

A Nobel Prize- winning scientist has predicted, through analysing raw data, that Ireland's death rate and infection will "burn itself out" in the next two weeks, enabling an earlier exit from lockdown.

Professor Michael Levitt, of Stanford University, was speaking after he correctly calculated the demise of China's spread, long ahead of most health experts.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/nobel-scientist-predicts-virus-will-burn-out-in-next-two-weeks-39194015.html

In theory if deaths fiddle out over the coming days then his prediction is like less than a week off. Now we gotta make sure earlier exit from lockdown is adhered to by our sun bathing Taoiseach. Leo probably believed this lad also, now gotta hire him.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The people "we dont need lockdowns, we're smart and can look after ourelves"

Also the people : https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1264962705603133440

ZERO new deaths today in Ireland (0.0%)

But Tony Holohan is still being his usual negative self at the press conference and his usual doom and gloom attitude is still in force.

Someone needs to wake this guy up for god sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Also the people: covid19 suppressed from their actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

But Tony Holohan is still being his usual negative self at the press conference and his usual doom and gloom attitude is still in force.

I think we have to realise that there will be some deaths in the coming days - there are still people sick. But it is now time to accelerate the safe reopening of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭snowcat

It was actually -2 deaths. People unfortunately are not coming back to life they just died but without Covid. If they had been diagnosed with Covid they would be added to the death toll. Does anyone see any disturbing factor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Also the people: covid19 suppressed from their actions.

We're talking here about the people who decided there should be no lockdown, people can handle it and are responsible. Lets not pretend the push for everything to open up just started in the last couple of days.

• Advertisement

I think we have to realise that there will be some deaths in the coming days - there are still people sick. But it is now time to accelerate the safe reopening of the country.

Well, according to Simon Harris 24 people die from cancer each day in Ireland. We gotta get those cervical and breast checks going tomorrow and catch up on the backlog ASAP. Those deaths are preventable.

So if anything that needs urgent re opening its the resumption of these services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Wow that is pure and utter stupidity of the highest order. Surely that warrants jail time and a ban on driving for life?

Almost sick of saying it by now, but time to open up FULLY.

We don’t have a single death today.

Homeware should be opening from tomorrow morning. Phase 2 and 3 merged and start next week latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Still banging on about the three weeks between phases to track the spread of a virus that is now not been spread in the community

Absolutely wake this man up. Someone catch him and shake some reality into his head

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

You are in the wrong forum dude.

Spain revises down it's death figure by (-6.7%) today

New cases down (-0.13%)

Yesterday: 282,852- (+0.17%) 28,752 - (+0.26%)
    ​​​
    Today: 282,480 - (-0.13%) 26,834 - (-6.7%)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Almost sick of saying it by now, but time to open up FULLY.

We don’t have a single death today.

Used to be better when people stuck to posting this stuff on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

True, i know of one lady 97 dying from it. But the trend is going right down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/what-are-travel-bubbles-and-where-will-i-be-able-to-go-on-holidays-to-this-summer-39230980.html

Why on Earth are the Canary Islands and Balearics not included in this? They’ve hardly any cases or deaths at all. German tourists are still going to go to the Balearics this summer. Why are we Irish people being treated so poorly by the authorities here? I am so disillusioned with them and I was a FG supporter previously. Never again after this. And don’t even get me started not their disgraceful treatment of our children...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

What in the actual f##k has this to do with the price of cabbages and the relaxation of restrictions?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement