Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

59 cases today and our great leader Dr Tony doesn’t have the breakdown of where these cases are.

Or perhaps he does and the community spread is pretty much zero and he’s not prepared to say.

This is ridiculous carry on.

If we can’t have a clear indication of where 59 cases have occurred we’re running a complete sh1tshow.

Disgraceful carry on.

God help us if we have to use our 100k testing capacity. How will we track and trace that if we can’t identify 59 cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The time has come for Leo and the cabinet to grow some balls and stop listening to our dear leader Chairman Holohan. We can't let the economy continue to collapse and tell people to just sit at home and keep twiddling their fingers.

Simon Harris is also another grim reaper. People can't take anything he says seriously.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

You'd assume this will intensify calls from restaurants/pubs/hairdressers etc to be able to open earlier if this is a trend over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

You'd assume this will intensify calls from restaurants/pubs/hairdressers etc to be able to open earlier if this is a trend over the next few days.

Possibly, but their latest poll does show that the majority of the public think the current system is correct so its a balance of what the public wants/opinions and business lobbying at this point: https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1264968743253422080?s=20

'24% say Ireland returning to normal much/a bit too quickly'

Give these people a free trip to the local hospital. Wow.

• Advertisement

RobitTV wrote: »

So because a majority of the people polled don't agree with your opinion that the country should open quicker, and appears to be a minority mindset, they are wrong? It looks like most people want to do as much as they can *now* rather then having to do it again at another point in time and are happy to do so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

The people "we dont need lockdowns, we're smart and can look after ourelves"

Also the people : https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1264962705603133440

Ah our daily dose of aren't Irish people a bunch of thickos, except me of course lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,126 ✭✭✭plodder

It shouldn't be driven by opinion polls regardless, but that response by Holohan about the hairdressers isn't good enough. They should be informed about the specifics of each sector, if necessary by talking to the sector's representatives. It's entirely reasonable to expect that some service sectors could put a plan together to re-open sooner, like the hair-dressers seem to have.

So because a majority of the people polled don't agree with your opinion that the country should open quicker, and appears to be a minority mindset, they are wrong?

No. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

But i don't know what on earth the 24% are basing that view on. Without any real evidence behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Nice to see confirmation there that this thread is an outlier in terms of public opinion.

Ye can shout all ye want lads and give out as much as ye want, but most people - in fact the vast majority of people - don't agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Possibly, but their latest poll does show that the majority of the public think the current system is correct so its a balance of what the public wants/opinions and business lobbying at this point: https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1264968743253422080?s=20

Who fact checks these 'polls'? Just curious as CNN had to pull a poll which stated the majority supported the US lockdown and it turned out not to be true at all...

Otherwise RTE and co are doing a stellar job at keeping everyone frightened...the lack of critical thinking in this country astounds me...

I find it rather hard to believe that we have now reached the end of May and we are heading into June and only 21% still think we are going too slow.

Who fact checks these 'polls'? Just curious as CNN had to pull a poll which stated majority supported the US lockdown turned out not to be true at all...

Otherwise RTE and co are doing a stellar job at keeping everyone frightened...the lack of critical thinking in this country astounds me...

You could pretty much say that about any poll ever done as every one of them could be biased. But if thats the only thing we have to base on, and based on the previous polls that Amarach research have done, it seems fairly accurate.

Most people I talk too are frustrated about the lockdown but are also happy that we are taking a more cautious approach after seeing the UK mess with their public transport systems full etc.

EDIT: Personally I think the phases will definitely be sped up, which is fine. I don't however think everything should just open at once and land us back at square one, and do agree with a bit more cautious approach.

Arghus wrote: »
    Nice to see confirmation there that this thread is an outlier in terms of public opinion.

Ye can shout all ye want lads and give out as much as ye want, but most people - in fact the vast majority of people - don't agree.

Are you serious? You prefer everyone to remain under lock and key despite the threat diminishing and all the evidence pointing to the contrary for many weeks now? I've heard of two suicides today due to isolation and loneliness, it's heartbreaking...both under 55. They're not included in today's Covid figures but they're as a direct result of these restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

It's not hard to understand. People have been pumped full of fear, panic and doom all day every day for months now.

I've spoken to a number of people who think like those 24% - when asked why they have no real answer. People don't want to believe we are being led down the wrong path.

Even on the day we announce 0 deaths we are being fed the likes of this - https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/guaranteed-that-second-wave-will-come-when-they-ease-restrictions-says-ucc-professor-1001500.html
    Is it any wonder?

The narrative in this country is so demoralising, knowing how Europe are already getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭snowcat

No. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

But i don't know what on earth the 24% are basing that view on. Without any real evidence behind it.

Ivan Yates put it well today. About 75% of the population are better off or indifferent at the moment. About 25 % whose jobs are at risk or are self employed are not. The caretaker government does not give a damn either way as they are on the way out. They just want the least risk option to them and let the new government weather the mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

snowcat wrote: »
    Ivan Yates put it well today. About 75% of the population are better off or indifferent at the moment. About 25 % whose jobs are at risk or are self employed are not. The caretaker government does not give a damn either way as they are on the way out. They just want the least risk option to them and let the new government weather the mess.

Its because a lot of that 75% don't have the foresight to realise that every extra week of this will add to their tax bill for the next decade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

I find it rather hard to believe that we have now reached the end of May and we are heading into June and only 21% still think we are going too slow.

Until reduced covid payment, job losses and pay reductions start to hit more people I don't think we'll see much movement on those figures.
    The effects on businesses and the economy just aren't real enough yet for a majority to question Tony et al

I know a few people personally who saw the cases go up past 100 the other day again, and they had a minute of panic and went on about how we had to keep the lockdown for many months and how the 2km limit is going to return and how people must stay inside and it's going go up and up and up and up again because of all those people not listening anymore.

I literally have become so frustrated with the constant amount of fear and hysteria. The media is the one to blame without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Who fact checks these 'polls'? Just curious as CNN had to pull a poll which stated the majority supported the US lockdown and it turned out not to be true at all...

Looks like the responses roughly form a normal distribution. ie: responses are fairly random and there's no strong opinion one way or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Are you serious? You prefer everyone to remain under lock and key despite the threat diminishing and all the evidence pointing to the contrary for many weeks now? I've heard of two suicides today due to isolation and loneliness, it's heartbreaking...both under 55. They're not included in today's Covid figures but they're as a direct result of these restrictions.

Is everyone inside under lock and key? That sounds like a mighty exaggeration on your part. Plenty of people out and about over the weekend. People can leave the house you know and most are. You are being overly dramatic.

The threat has diminished because we've followed the restrictions to limit the spread of the disease. I know people on this thread are seemingly incapable of grasping this fact, but, sure, I'll say it again for all the good it will do

I think we should stick with phase 1until it's completed so we can have an accurate picture of how the growth rate of the virus has been affected. If the numbers continue on a downward trajectory then there's no good reason to be overly cautious then, yes, I'd be fully supportive of a quicker relaxation of restrictions. I don't like living under lockdown either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,126 ✭✭✭plodder

Stark wrote: »
    Looks like the responses roughly form a normal distribution. ie: responses are fairly random and there's no strong opinion one way or the other.
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭snowcat

Is everyone inside under lock and key? That sounds like a mighty exaggeration on your part. Plenty of people out and about over the weekend. People can leave the house you know and most are. You are being overly dramatic.

The threat has diminished because we've followed the restrictions to limit the spread of the disease. I know people on this thread are seemingly incapable of grasping this fact, but, sure, I'll say it again for all the good it will do

I think we should stick with phase 1 until it's completed so we can have an accurate picture of how the growth rate of the virus has been affected. If the numbers continue on a downward trajectory then there's no good reason to be overly cautious and, yes, I'd be fully supportive of a quicker relaxation of restrictions. I don't like living under lockdown either.

Could we not skip that and look at other countries that have done this long before us?

We are Europeans after all. Its a bit like saying the Irish will start in Waterford. If it works in Waterford we will start in Kildare after 2 weeks and so on.

I think we should stick with phase 1 until it's completed so we can have an accurate picture of how the growth rate of the virus has been affected. If the numbers continue on a downward trajectory then there's no good reason to be overly cautious and, yes, I'd be fully supportive of a quicker relaxation of restrictions. I don't like living under lockdown either.

Yes we are all under lock and key. Can I legally go to the beach or climb a hill tomorrow? No I can't as it's beyond our 5km limit.
    As I already stated on the Galway Covid thread...people seem to feel 'entitled' during this lockdown. People complaining of having to 'brush passed' others on Shop St., really? The main street of Galway? Don't go there if you feel so under threat. I've had enough of a certain cohort of posters/population - they are clearly better off doing nothing while the rest of us will spend years trying to recoup the debts & try and restart the economy...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

And 56% say it's just right, putting you firmly in the minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Is it next week the covid payment is being reduced?

Hurrache wrote: »
    And 56% say it's just right, putting you firmly in the minority.

If 56% think it's just right, then fair enough and good for them.

But i won't be putting up with the 24% who think we are going too quickly. That is based on absolutely nothing and i bet if you questioned them they wouldn't be able to come up with any answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Yes we are all under lock and key. Can I legally go to the beach or climb a hill tomorrow? No I can't as it's beyond our 5km limit.
    As I already stated on the Galway Covid thread...people seem to feel 'entitled' during this lockdown. People complaining of having to 'brush passed' others on Shop St., really? The main street of Galway? Don't go there if you feel so under threat. I've had enough of a certain cohort of posters/population - they are clearly better off doing nothing while the rest of us will spend years trying to recoup the debts & try and restart the economy...

But you are not under lock and key, this is being done to maintain the safety of people from an unknown disease, we are getting out of restrictions gradually and will be fine soon

If 56% think it's just right, then fair enough and good for them.

But i won't be putting up with 24% who think we are going too quickly. That is based on absolutely nothing and i bet if you questioned them they wouldn't be able to come up with any answers.

Surveys are not a good snapshot of opinion. 5 options will nearly always return something in the middle, and I bet if there was a cull the over 80’s, and a chain everyone in their homes option both would have got a few responses, even if no one believed either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

They are slowly preparing us now for social distancing to be reduced to 1 meter.

This is quite clearly only for a number of reasons - so the hse can function and not have to make 2 meters between each bed and so the beds and restaurants can re open.

Disgraceful

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement