Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Claims made on ads that aren't true (nor ever challenged)

• 25-05-2020 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

When the red bull gives you wings phrase had to be replaced with Red Bull gives you wiings it made me think.

Dunnes Stores always better value

I mean like... better than who? And always?

Where are the lawyers. Put down your crack pipes and get to work!

Any other clear lies in ads you saw?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Probably

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

"Kills 99% of bacteria". Its never 93.5% or 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

"Easy open and reseal" packets of rashers.
    They're neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

All the ads that told me if I parted with my hard earned cash I'd be hung like a horny Mr Ed after taking a couple of pills. Mrs dragon wasn't too impressed. No wonder I'm divorced.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    "Kills 99% of bacteria". Its never 93.5% or 100%.

I think I read that that percentage is determined over a 5 minute period.
    But it kills 100% when given a little more time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

whiter than white

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

When the red bull gives you wings phrase had to be replaced with Red Bull gives you wings it made me think.
    Huh? Isn't this the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Sometimes it takes a rival brand to put the boot in.

For 20 years Toyota used the tagline 'the best built cars in the world' as part of its advertising in Ireland.

In 2016, following a series of widely publicised Toyota recalls, Volkswagen's lawyers in Ireland put in a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority.

Toyota were subsequently prohibited from using the phrase as part of its brand.

They haven't used it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Sometimes it takes a rival brand to put the boot in.

For 20 years Toyota used the tagline 'the best built cars in the world' as part of its advertising in Ireland.

In 2016, following a series of widely publicised Toyota recalls, Volkswagen's lawyers in Ireland put in a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority.

Toyota were subsequently prohibited from using the phrase as part of its brand.

They haven't used it since.

In fairness 90s Toyotas were ridiculously reliable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

Not an ad, but I remember a story where someone ( i can't remember if it was in the States or Britain) took a tissue company to court because the amount of tissues in a tissue box weren't the same as what the company wrote on the outside. Like this person literally counted out all the tissues lol. Talk about OCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

tampons - you can run with them, swim with them, ski with them....i gave them to my cousin who has MS and it didn't make a bit of difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

Think its "Red Bull gives you wiiiings" . Had to change cos someone sued them

• Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Harvey Norman sales

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

The Original and Best = Kelloggs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Meant to say wiings. Good spot edited

Swiftcover ad from the UK about ten years ago with Iggy Pop advertising insurance for 'people like me' got banned as Swiftcover didn't insure musicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

"Easy open and reseal" packets of rashers.
    They're neither.

They dont work because theres never rashers left to reseal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Retro.

When the red bull gives you wings phrase had to be replaced with Red Bull gives you wiings it made me think.

Dunnes Stores always better value

I mean like... better than who? And always?

Where are the lawyers. Put down your crack pipes and get to work!

Dunnes already changed it

Used to be better value beats them all

Whatever that meant

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

clostridium perfringens is a fairly common bacteria. It causes greengage. Under ideal conditions it can reproduce in 6.3 minutes. Hot soapy water if you get a cut.

So even if 99% are killed the survivors could repopulate in a little over 44 minutes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Harvey Norman sales
    I see your Harvey Norman and I raise you DFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I'm planning on creating a disinfectant that kills 1% of bacteria and selling it to Domestos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Booorrriinnggg!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The banking ads would make you cringe. As if they doing you a favour

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

"Todays Bread Today".

It would be reasonable to assume from that tagline that the bread company delivery people actively remove from the shelves any bread which is 2 or 3 days old. And that you wouldn't have to burrow through older stale pans to find the actual fresh bread hidden at the back.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

"Totally unlimited mobile data" which has usage limits

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The Head and Shoulders ad where Claudia Winkleman says that's all she uses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

No way that horse was going to France.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

AIB - Backing Brave. Eh no, you're backing the most conservative business plans imaginable from people with massive collateral

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

PsychoPete wrote: »
    They dont work because theres never rashers left to reseal

True, also because you need a breadknife and a hammer and chisel to open the packet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lobbylad

AIB - Backing Brave. Eh no, you're backing the most conservative business plans imaginable from people with massive collateral

And of course the "AIB - Ireland's cheapest mortgage" (which it probably was at the time), but they omitted " - one of Europe's most expensive"

Advertisement