Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crimes that have stayed with you for years

• 09-08-2020 3:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭

Channon Gail Christian, aged 21, and Hugh Christopher Newsom, Jr., aged 23, were from Knoxville, Tennessee. They were kidnapped on the evening of January 6, 2007, when Christian's vehicle was carjacked, and taken to a rental house, where both of them were raped, tortured, and murdered.

eHte51k.jpg

Newsom's body was discovered near a set of nearby railroad tracks. He had been bound, blindfolded, gagged, and stripped naked from the waist down. He had been shot in the back of the head, neck, and back, and his body had been set on fire.

Christian died after hours of torture, sustaining traumatic brain injuries and suffering injuries to her vagina, anus, and mouth due to repeated sexual assault. Before killing her, in an effort to remove DNA evidence, her attackers poured bleach down her throat and scrubbed her body with it. She was bound with curtains and strips of bedding, with her face covered with a trash bag and her body stashed in five large trash bags. These were placed inside a residential waste disposal unit and covered with sheets and garbage from Wendy's. The medical examiner said there was evidence that Christian slowly suffocated to death.

Four males and one female were arrested, charged, and convicted in the case, four of whom had multiple prior felony convictions.

murders-of-channon-christian-and-christopher-newsom-ae6c8f27-8cfa-42e9-a79c-903ab8e744d-resize-750.jpeg

What crime cases were so horrible that they have stuck in your mind years after reading about them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Without doubt the Jamie Bulger murder in 1993, where a 2 year-old toddler was abducted from a Liverpool shopping centre by two 10 year-old boys, horrifically tortured and murdered. I didn't think it possible that 10 year-olds could do something so heinous!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

The Soham murders and Ian Huntley was one that always comes to mind, the way he went on tv appealing for info on their disappearance was thoroughly ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,190 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I think the Bulger case is the earliest one I remember. Absolutely horrific. Even as a young child I understood how awful it was.

One that sticks with me for some reason is the McGinley children. As a father of young kids myself, I dunno just made it more real for me. Absolutely horrific case.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

coinop wrote: »
    Channon Gail Christian, aged 21, and Hugh Christopher Newsom, Jr., aged 23, were from Knoxville, Tennessee. They were kidnapped on the evening of January 6, 2007, when Christian's vehicle was carjacked, and taken to a rental house, where both of them were raped, tortured, and murdered.

eHte51k.jpg

Newsom's body was discovered near a set of nearby railroad tracks. He had been bound, blindfolded, gagged, and stripped naked from the waist down. He had been shot in the back of the head, neck, and back, and his body had been set on fire.

Christian died after hours of torture, sustaining traumatic brain injuries and suffering injuries to her vagina, anus, and mouth due to repeated sexual assault. Before killing her, in an effort to remove DNA evidence, her attackers poured bleach down her throat and scrubbed her body with it. She was bound with curtains and strips of bedding, with her face covered with a trash bag and her body stashed in five large trash bags. These were placed inside a residential waste disposal unit and covered with sheets and garbage from Wendy's. The medical examiner said there was evidence that Christian slowly suffocated to death.

Four males and one female were arrested, charged, and convicted in the case, four of whom had multiple prior felony convictions.

murders-of-channon-christian-and-christopher-newsom-ae6c8f27-8cfa-42e9-a79c-903ab8e744d-resize-750.jpeg

What crime cases were so horrible that they have stuck in your mind years after reading about them?

Thanks, that was a nice Sunday read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Not sure what you expected having read the thread title?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think Graham Dwyers crimes will live long in the memory. Especially following the trial, day after day more shocking details came out. Just when you thought you couldnt be shocked any further it comes out that he enjoyed stabbing women while having sex with them, it was real WTF stuff.

Then the fact he had gotten away with the murder for around 18 months but cracking it all came down to a Garda getting in a lake to retrieve a bag that contained a set of keys and handcuffs. The keys had a Tesco clubcard fob on the ring which linked them back to Elaine o'Hara. The case would never have been solved without that Garda being so persistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Not sure what you expected having read the thread title?

Perhaps something a little less graphic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Without doubt the Jamie Bulger murder in 1993

A truly horrific crime. The stories that came out of the trial would make you weep for humanity. Regarding the murderers: "Each boy sat in view of the court on raised chairs so they could see out of the dock designed for adults".
    One that sticks with me for some reason is the McGinley children. As a father of young kids myself, I dunno just made it more real for me. Absolutely horrific case.

An unspeakable tragedy. Did the mother ever disclose the reason she (alledgedly?) did it? Other than the usual weak "mental health" defense.

Imagine trying to funny in a thread about tragic murders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

That opening post probably takes it for me.

Previous to that it was probably that "3 guy 1 hammer" series of incidents, I think that was involving kids, which was also nausea inducing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Riu Pedro he went missing in Portugal before Madeline McCann. His story was featured on one of the documentaries about Madeline. He has never been found, but his mother visited with Interpol and his images were found amount stuff when they cracked the Wonderland paedophile ring. His mother said some things are worse than death, I can’t even imagine her pain or what happened the little guy. I don’t think that one will leave me, never knowing where he is, but knowing he suffered like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

Dessie O Hare the Border Fox kidnapping DentistJohn O Grady. I was only 13 years old and It seemed to be the only news back then. The Garda did checkpoints all over the country and I remember them coming onto our bus doing a check. I used walk 30 yards in the dark to my uncles to get a lift to the bus & I was absolutely petrified as we lived in a real wooded area and even to this day I get a chill down my back if I hear his name mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

That opening post probably takes it for me.

Previous to that it was probably that "3 guy 1 hammer" series of incidents, I think that was involving kids, which was also nausea inducing.

Was that the one where they filmed it and released it online, was Russia if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Joe Kane

Brendan O'Donnell murdering Fr, Joe Walsh, Imelda Riney & her little daughter over the course of a surreal 4 days will always be on my mind. I knew him fairly well from living in the same parish as him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Darkley Church shootings.
    A particular type of filth carried that attack out.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sarcozies

Well, that's enough internet for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Fr Brendan Smyth.

Evil paedo scum.

Taken away to jail laughing.

Found guilty of 74 charges of child abuse and got just four years.

Died after just a month.

Protected by the Catholic Church while on the run.

Protected by the Catholic Church as far back as 1975 when they silenced some of his victims.

Needless to say that no charges were brought against those who helped him continue with his crimes.

spurious wrote: »
    The Darkley Church shootings.
    A particular type of filth carried that attack out.

Whoa, just reading about this incident now and learned that the service was being tape-recorded when that attack took took place. Was the recording ever leaked, I wonder? Sadly when politics are brought into it you get warped minds attempting to justify these tragedies. The cohorts of Lyra McKee's killers were being praised on social media a week or so ago for knocking down a harmless Irish Freedom Party stall in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Fr Brendan Smyth.

Evil paedo scum.

Taken away to jail laughing.

Found guilty of 74 charges of child abuse and got just four years.

Yeah Smith was a special kind of scum. One aspect of his trial that made me absolutely sick to the stomach was this one little girl he was sexually abusing almost weekly in her bedroom in her parents house in Belfast.

Aside from the shock that the parents were letting a priest go up to their daughters bedroom at one point he arrived to the house and the parents told him that their daughter was in bed crippled with the flu and she was not up to seeing visitors. But Brendan Smith persisted and went upstairs and abused the sick child anyway. He was an absolute monster of a paedo who never suffered true justice.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    . He was an absolute monster of a paedo who never suffered true justice.

What would be true justice, in your opinion? Hanging from a noose?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah Smith was a special kind of scum. One aspect of his trial that made me absolutely sick to the stomach was this one little girl he was sexually abusing almost weekly in her bedroom in her parents house in Belfast.

Aside from the shock that the parents were letting a priest go up to their daughters bedroom at one point he arrived to the house and the parents told him that their daughter was in bed crippled with the flu and she was not up to seeing visitors. But Brendan Smith persisted and went upstairs and abused the sick child anyway. He was an absolute monster of a paedo who never suffered true justice.

A **** like that should have had a hatchet in the face, see the horrible head on him too, justice in that case wouldn't even be a prison sentence, it would be roll over the **** with a steamroller, scrape up the body parts, and feed them to the pigs, a worthless filthy scumbag if there was ever one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

The Roma girl killed by the Dublin gangs back maybe 10 years ago. She had only arrived in Ireland was lured into a car and never seen alive again. She was like 17 in a foreign country. Can only imagine how scared she was.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭sheepondrugs

The 2 Polish guys killed with a screwdriver by some evil bastard outside a chipper in Crumlin.
    Apparentley hes out on day release now after serving less than 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

The Roma girl killed by the Dublin gangs back maybe 10 years ago. She had only arrived in Ireland was lured into a car and never seen alive again. She was like 17 in a foreign country. Can only imagine how scared she was.

and nobody convicted. the chief suspect in that is also a suspect with the trevor deely thing.

funny you say that roma girl crime stuck with you cos IMO it seemed like nobody cared about her

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The Anna Kriegel killing was particularly disturbing, especially considering the age of the killers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I read a report on an industrial school that I used to live near.
    Evil places and nobody ever was brought to justice for what went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,917 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Jamie Bulger is one we can't forget due to the age of all involved. Anna Kriegel memory will live long too, again that children were capable of such an evil, premeditated crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Beslan. A crime so wicked it defied belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Fred and Rosemary West. It really hit home the point that evil doesnt wear a face or an identifying label, its as ordinary and banal as a dull looking housewife and a charmer of a builder. The exact kind of people who nod and smile as you pass them in the street. Ordinary neighbours, workers and friends, just like you and me.

The evil in their hearts was just shocking and the case was a depressing reminder how easy it is to just vanish off the face of the earth and have no discernible human connections of any kind to think twice of you or miss you. The neighbours heard and suspected things over the course of 25 years but a stiff upper lip and a "mind your own business" mindset allowed the crimes to go undetected even longer. Ill never forget the images of the black boxes coming out of the house, first one then two then dozens more. Searing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

John Shaw and Geoffrey Evans.

Also the poor disabled kid in the 2017 Chicago torture incident

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

and nobody convicted. the chief suspect in that is also a suspect with the trevor deely thing.

funny you say that roma girl crime stuck with you cos IMO it seemed like nobody cared about her

That's why it stuck with me. She was a kid and nobody really cared. Horrific. When a nation needs a good narrative to feel an outpouring of grief, that's a bad thing. Marioara Rostas is the girls name. I just read she made a call home on her second day as well.

Advertisement