Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

froog wrote: »
    yes very interesting about the t-cells and how the antibody tests may not be catching people who have had it.

still, this guy will look extremely foolish if sweden gets a spike again. very premature of him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/science/how-coronavirus-spreads.html?auth=login-facebook

This probably illustrates how we it differs from flu in transmission. If society can begin to get super spreading events under control/more efficient safety protocols in place we can begin to get control of the virus and possible contain the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Oranage2 wrote: »
    What's the estimate for today does anyone know, I've it at 250-300 cases

Theres no testing data released on Sundays so any figure such as your own one is just pulling it out of thin air until the number is released

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

How many times has this article been posted on the forum at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Good ole echo with the suspected cases headline again!! Hardly a case a day in cork over the past 14 days. Then go onto say 27 cases over the month of july that’s 0.87 cases a day!!
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Covid-19-latest-caution-urged-as-cases-rise-in-Cork-3529eaca-6fcf-4073-8bee-733c79c40487-ds

I'd hate to see how pessimistic the Echo will be if there is a surge in cases in Cork

They were quiet enough when Cork had 0 cases two days in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I'd hate to see how pessimistic the Echo will be if there is a surge in cases in Cork

They were quiet enough when Cork had 0 cases two days in a row

Are you surprised?

They're only publishing what people click into or pick up in the shop, good news doesn't sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

There’s usually some idea on this thread as to what numbers might be based in testing, does anyone know today?

Testing data for Sunday and Monday is released on Monday.

All we get today is confirmed cases

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Theres no testing data released on Sundays so any figure such as your own one is just pulling it out of thin air until the number is released

I've followed the trends, looked at the clusters and made my own calculations using my own formula. Also add in the percentages we've been told and that's how I came to my number

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

I've followed the trends, looked at the clusters and made my own calculations using my own formula. Also add in the percentages we've been told and that's how I came to my number

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47f315d2337eff95e590ca9a8f6ac87b9b207d3c0b&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 39,496 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

seamus wrote: »
    The important number is still the community transmissions, and while they've been up too, they've still been a small percentage. If they come up to 30% of all new cases, then we have trouble.

All the numbers are important and are linked, exponential growth in nationwide clusters and community transmission are the ones that will bring in sweeping restrictions.

If the numbers remain this high, they won't let it get near 30% before acting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

True but i can tell you now that if every child and teacher isolates this coming Autumn and winter because of sniffles and sore throats etc.. the schools will be ghost towns.

Tony said that the days of going into work and school with colds are over.

That culture has to be reassessed and be seen as selfish instead of a badge of honour. Covid19 can appear in children as colds and in order to suppress the virus, people will need to stay at home. The inconvenience for some people to isolate at home instead of going to work and school, far out weighs the risks associated with covid19 clusters and community transmissions and further lockdowns. We all have a part to play going forward. The less parents sending their children into school and crèche with sniffles and colds the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Nowhere to be seen on front page of website.

Can you advise why an article that was published on Thursday Aug 6th would be on the front page of RTE's news site on Sunday Aug 9th?

Also just to help you out:
    noun
    noun: front page; plural noun: front pages; noun: frontpage; plural noun: frontpages; modifier noun: front-page

the first page of a newspaper, containing the most important or remarkable news of the day.
    "the story is still front-page news"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

owlbethere wrote: »
    Tony said that the days of going into work and school with colds are over.

That culture has to be reassessed and be seen as selfish instead of a badge of honour. Covid19 can appear in children as colds and in order to suppress the virus, people will need to stay at home. The inconvenience for some people to isolate at home instead of going to work and school, far out weighs the risks associated with covid19 clusters and community transmissions and further lockdowns. We all have a part to play going forward. The less parents sending their children into school and crèche with sniffles and colds the better.

Covid aside, do we not want young children developing their immune system?

I'm all for general exposure to colds and sniffles to build resilience but obviously not in these times.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Testing data for Sunday and Monday is released on Monday.

All we get today is confirmed cases

I still don't understand how there are two different sets of test results :/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

94 cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Sunday cases are always low. If they are high today its a very bad sign indeed.

My money is on a high number.

*Obviously I know feck all and not an expert but neither is anyone on this board. I am just expecting a high number imo.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Naos wrote: »
    Can you advise why an article that was published on Thursday Aug 6th would be on the front page of RTE's news site on Sunday Aug 9th?

Also just to help you out:
    noun
    noun: front page; plural noun: front pages; noun: frontpage; plural noun: frontpages; modifier noun: front-page

the first page of a newspaper, containing the most important or remarkable news of the day.
    "the story is still front-page news"

Mod: Drop the condescending attitude or I'll start removing posts like this.

Anyone got a link to Michael Martin's address a few days back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Today's stats: 68 New Cases, 0 Deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Crisis over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

19 cases are located in Kildare, 17 in Dublin, 15 in Offaly, 12 in Laois and 5 in Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Only 2 cases of community transmission

• Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What's the estimate for today does anyone know, I've it at 250-300 cases

Bang on as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭xvril

5 in Donegal. Oh my, we be joining the lads on lockdown shortly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

All over - pubs open let's get that drum going

• Registered Users Posts: 39,496 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Remember when the thread would collectively shít itself lifeless if anything resembling 68 cases were announced?

I miss those times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭blowitupref

fritzelly wrote: »
    Crisis over
    I'd expect daily cases to be in the 100s again next week.

10 deaths reported the last 7 days but it seems only about 3 of those deaths happened in the last week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

19 cases are located in Kildare, 17 in Dublin, 15 in Offaly, 12 in Laois and 5 in Donegal

64% of cases in KOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Wow. Very high for a Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

blade1 wrote: »
    94 cases.

Are you sure?
    I weighed up the data and did blah blah blah and it came to 94. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement