Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mind Maps

Options
  • 22-11-2005 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Ive heard about these things. supposed to be good study aids.

Does anyone know where I can find some free templates that can be printed off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Probably best off making your own using your own style. Will read better that way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

dont know enough about them...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

google is your friend, use it well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Maccattack wrote:
    dont know enough about them...

just start off with a main subject circle thing in the middle and everytime you need to subdivide the subject into smaller categories add a branch with a circle thing on the end... and then you break that circle down into smaller parts... until you have everthing covered

You'll need to do it a few times in my experience... you dont know how big or lobsided its gonna be till you start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Chrissy

Always found them to be a load of rubbish myself, they can end up looking so messy that an actual 'map' gets hard to see.

That's not to say that lots of other people haven't been helped greatly by them, just not me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

depends on what subject you use them for....

i found it good for physics in the leaving cert cuz there was so much interconnected stuff...

havent really used them since

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Some info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_map

There's some links at the bottom that you should check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

There is some useful study info here:

http://www.examsuccesstips.com/

(tho not explicity mindmaps, includes details on how to make better notes).

Also buy a book on them by Tony Buzan. Used well they are a very useful learning tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Genghis

I always used these. As well as a revision aid, the actual process of drawing them is beneficial - it helps your brain sort and classify information, which makes retrieval easier at exam time.

They are simple, quite intuitive really. Try download.com - there was a free mindmap creator I got a few years back. It was useful in that it moved stuff around to ensure it all fits on one page, but on the other hand I found my own handwritten maps easier to recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

thanks for all yr help people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

I used them in school and college.
    Depends on your learning syle. I cant learn reading I need pictures. But there's reasons, im terrible at learning with words and writing, but my tests said I was superior in visuo spatial learning in 6th year. Got 99% in it while verbal I got 30%. Good at maths but cr*p at Irish and English and French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Maccattack wrote:
    Ive heard about these things. supposed to be good study aids.

Does anyone know where I can find some free templates that can be printed off?

MindJet do really good software (about €100 on the educational discount). That said Mindmaps in general did nothing for me - others in the class swore by them.

If the €100 is too rich there is a free alternative. Never used it myself.

Advertisement