Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4g Mobile Router with phone port.

Options
  • 07-01-2020 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is a stupid question or not, but here goes!!

Huawei 4g (B525 etc) routers have a built in phone port, can this port be used to plug a voip phone into, and use the sim call credit??

Are there any other good 4g routers with phone ports?

Thanks
    Mav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Mav11 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is a stupid question or not, but here goes!!

Huawei 4g (B525 etc) routers have a built in phone port, can this port be used to plug a voip phone into, and use the sim call credit??

Are there any other good 4g routers with phone ports?

Thanks
    Mav

Anybody know?????

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nagel

the huawei b315 has a phone port , where you can use a normal home phone type , not voip, you can make and take calls using the sim card number, it needs to be set to auto network, if set to 4g only the phone wont work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

AFAIK it depends on whether it's a network supplied router or bought unlocked from somewhere like Amazon. The network router will most likely block the phone port making calls through the SIM.

The hardware is capable, it depends on whether the firmware allows it.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    AFAIK it depends on whether it's a network supplied router or bought unlocked from somewhere like Amazon. The network router will most likely block the phone port making calls through the SIM.

The hardware is capable, it depends on whether the firmware allows it.

That's very helpful. Thanks Mav

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Hi,

Not certain on the B525 but I'm pretty sure it does as according to (https://forum.three.ie/t5/Other-Phones/Huawei-B525-VoIP-configuration/td-p/27548)

Note the feature you are looking for is phone port that is "CS" or "circuit switched" (basically acts as legacy analogue telephone port). You wouldn't be plugging in a voip phone however, just a plain old telephone. (Even if you wanted to use voip, the account is setup in the router and uses the plain telephone also)

Have personally tested it on both Huawei E5186 and B593 and both work as you are looking for. Note however that the connection falls back to 3G to allow an incoming/outgoing call and reverts back to 4G after hangup.

Jim

• Advertisement

westyIrl wrote: »
    Hi,

Not certain on the B525 but I'm pretty sure it does as according to (https://forum.three.ie/t5/Other-Phones/Huawei-B525-VoIP-configuration/td-p/27548)

Note the feature you are looking for is phone port that is "CS" or "circuit switched" (basically acts as legacy analogue telephone port). You wouldn't be plugging in a voip phone however, just a plain old telephone. (Even if you wanted to use voip, the account is setup in the router and uses the plain telephone also)

Have personally tested it on both Huawei E5186 and B593 and both work as you are looking for. Note however that the connection falls back to 3G to allow an incoming/outgoing call and reverts back to 4G after hangup.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I'm after buying a B525 which is on the way and intend putting a 3 payg sim into it. Hanging a phone off it would be a good way to use the unused credit on UK calls!

Mav

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WengerOutIn

I was looking into 4g routers recently. Was going to go with the B525, but settled on the following. It has a load of lan ports, so maybe you could use it?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016ZWXYXG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was looking into 4g routers recently. Was going to go with the B525, but settled on the following. It has a load of lan ports, so maybe you could use it?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016ZWXYXG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks WengerOutIn, too late, the 525 is on its way :) Mav

Mav11 wrote: »
    Thanks Jim, I'm after buying a B525 which is on the way and intend putting a 3 payg sim into it. Hanging a phone off it would be a good way to use the unused credit on UK calls!

Mav

You won't be disappointed. The desktop range of sim routers from Huawei are extremely reliable and rarely if ever drop connections.

If you are using the €20 AYCE prepay, I'd highly recommend setting up the auto topup feature so you can just set and forget and leaves you with maximum credit for other things...

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭stesaurus

What's a good cheap, solid option for an LTE router? I want to switch my parents over to gomo for their broadband. They don't need anything special just something reliable and cheap otherwise they would just stay with their current provider. Phone port would be preferable though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WengerOutIn

stesaurus wrote: »
    What's a good cheap, solid option for an LTE router? I want to switch my parents over to gomo for their broadband. They don't need anything special just something reliable and cheap otherwise they would just stay with their current provider. Phone port would be preferable though

This is a good 4g router. I used it for months recently, was able to do loads of online gaming with it. So it should suit your parents:

Just note that router doesn't appear to have a phone port. If that's a requirement you might want to look at the Huawei B525, B593, E5186 etc. TP-Link do some really good cheap gear so might also be worth checking if they have a model that supports the phone port.

jim

Advertisement