boards.ie Mobile
Page 415 of 415
« First < 315365405413414415
Electric Vehicles & Hybrids>Hyundai Ioniq
Old diesel 12:13 Today (1 Thanks)
PHEVs are too much faffing around imo.

Normal Hybrid or pure EV are the options to consider in my view.

Toyota for normal hybrid as they have a nice efficient set up or Hyundai for EV is how I see it.
[Quote] [Thank]
ELM327 12:18 Today (1 Thanks)
There's an argument to be made for the Ioniq HEV (ie the non plugin hybrid) but afaik they stopped selling them in favor of the phev model.

Toyota are where it's at (despite the downright moronic "self charging" ads) for HEVs, and I agree that Hyundai/Kia seem to be where it's at for non-luxury BEVs.
[Quote] [Thank]
KCross 12:39 Today
Originally Posted by ELM327:
I can see no reason to buy the PHEV, other than an outlier use case of ~50km round trips daily and one super long 400km trip at the weekend or something. In which case the phev would fit but you're doing the vast majority of miles on the petrol engine and not benefiting from the electric drivetrain.
You'd be better off buying a cheaper fossil fuel car or buying the proper Ioniq. IE the one with no exhaust.
Thats not really an outlier scenario though. Anecdotally I'd say that fits alot of peoples usage scenarios.

Short daily commutes (shop, school, sports etc) and then longer journeys at weekends and holidays. 50km is a decent distance for the local daily stuff and it would be all in BEV mode.



Originally Posted by Old diesel:
PHEVs are too much faffing around imo.

Normal Hybrid or pure EV are the options to consider in my view.

Toyota for normal hybrid as they have a nice efficient set up or Hyundai for EV is how I see it.

The problem is that hybrid's are not really that much better than petrol/diesel equivalents. They are better but not significantly so.

BEV is the ideal but unfortunately the long range ones are ridiculous price.... €40k for a Kia/Hyundai!

So, if a short range BEV doesnt suit the PHEV is a viable alternative that gives you BEV for your daily trips and ICE for your long trips. Its not ideal but a PHEV that does 50km in BEV mode everyday is going to be better than a hybrid (which is still 100% ICE).

It's down to what your daily mileage is. They have an important place in the market until "cheap" long range BEV's become the norm (and thats some years away).
[Quote] [Thank]
Old diesel 12:41 Today
Originally Posted by ELM327:
There's an argument to be made for the Ioniq HEV (ie the non plugin hybrid) but afaik they stopped selling them in favor of the phev model.

Toyota are where it's at (despite the downright moronic "self charging" ads) for HEVs, and I agree that Hyundai/Kia seem to be where it's at for non-luxury BEVs.
I might do a thread later on how I see the PHEV rather then derail this thread too much.
[Quote] [Thank]
unkel 12:43 Today (2 Thanks)
Provided both PHEV and BEV can cover the normal daily mileage, it's down to whether or not there is a significant number of longer distances (beyond the range of the BEV) and if so, the possibility to public fast charge on those trips and the willingness of the owner to do so
[Quote] [Thank]
KCross 12:54 Today
Originally Posted by unkel:
Provided both PHEV and BEV can cover the normal daily mileage, it's down to whether or not there is a significant number of longer distances (beyond the range of the BEV) and if so, the possibility to public fast charge on those trips and the willingness of the owner to do so
Thats kind of it really. Its an individual circumstances thing. Not black or white.

There are a few variables that make PHEV viable right now but most of those variables are short term issues (cost of long range BEV is too high and not enough charge points being the main two but also availability of long range BEV).
[Quote] [Thank]
sean72 13:43 Today
Originally Posted by sean72:
Can anyone tell me if the LED light above the type 2 port on the 2019 ioniq is new? It’s caused an issue for me with my home charger
hey all would anyone know the answer to this?
[Quote] [Thank]
ELM327 13:47 Today (1 Thanks)
Originally Posted by sean72:
hey all would anyone know the answer to this?
There's an LED light above the type 2 in mine (2017).
I find it useless and still have to resort to the torch on my phone if no other light is available.
[Quote] [Thank]
sean72 13:48 Today
Originally Posted by ELM327:
There's an LED light above the type 2 in mine (2017).
I find it useless and still have to resort to the torch on my phone if no other light is available.
does it interfere with ccs fast charging connectors?
[Quote] [Thank]
ELM327 13:52 Today (1 Thanks)
No, not that I'm aware of anyway.
It sometimes takes one or two goes to start the CCS charging sessions but I hadn't noticed whether it only occurred when the light was illuminated.
[Quote] [Thank]
BigAl81 19:20 Today
Originally Posted by sean72:
does it interfere with ccs fast charging connectors?
Not for me on my 2019 Ioniq anyway. I've done 4 rapid charges on 4 different machines and no issues at all.

Do you mean you can't get the connector into the port in the car because the light is blocking it??
[Quote] [Thank]
fguinan 19:31 Today
Any idea when the 38kwh ioniq will be available? I presume when they say September 2019 it will be Jan 2020 at the earliest in ireland?
[Quote] [Thank]
Page 415 of 415
« First < 315365405413414415


Back to Forum
Google Analytics

Share Tweet