Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2017 Nvidia Shield

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

DGM wrote: »
    Hi all. I can't seem to find a direct answer on this: as a non-gamer, would the Nvidia Shield still be worth buying?

Many thanks in advance.

Yes, especially if you use BBC i-player and Netflix as the picture quality is far better than a regular Android box.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭GatsbyGal

dodzy wrote: »
    The boxes are different ends of the spectrum. But if your internet is an actual issue on one box, it could well be an issue on another. Get this checked out anyway, but the boxes fundamentally are worlds apart in terms of build

Thanks. What speeds are optimal for the nvidia shield would you know?

My download is 10.4Mbps and upload is 0.6Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Seapoint

For ANY media streaming device to be trouble/buffer free, connect it directly to the router with a network cable. Simple as.
    GatsbyGal wrote: »
    Thanks. What speeds are optimal for the nvidia shield would you know?

My download is 10.4Mbps and upload is 0.6Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Seapoint wrote: »
    For ANY media streaming device to be trouble/buffer free, connect it directly to the router with a network cable. Simple as.

Or get a set of homeplugs

Catmologen wrote: »
    Yes, especially if you use BBC i-player and Netflix as the picture quality is far better than a regular Android box.

I'm actually struggling to get HDR working on Netflix through my shield. Still haven't managed to figure it. Works fine through the native app on my TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Home plugs are a great job alright, I have one pair in use but with the amount of things I’m buying I will need more
    Shield coming tomorrow, it’s like Christmas Eve here lol

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Invincible wrote: »
    Minix Neo U9-H :-)

Currently using Shield and also had U9 up to a few weeks ago.

Shield is superior in all departments imo.

Folks whats the best game emulator for the Shield?

I havent used it for any gaming yet but may use it at some stage .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,166 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

yabadabado wrote: »
    Folks whats the best game emulator for the Shield?

I havent used it for any gaming yet but may use it at some stage .

I bought RetroX after a recommendation from another boadsie and I'm happy with it. It's free for 5 days and then $12.99 to activate it permanently. There are free emulator apps but RetroX is just simplifies everything and you have everything in 1 app so it was worth the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

Any idea if this will go down in price for Black Friday or cyber Monday?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If you have an Xbox one or PS4 is there any functionality for media or TV that is missing on those vs the shield. There isn't a whole lot difference in price these days.

beauf wrote: »
    If you have an Xbox one or PS4 is there any functionality for media or TV that is missing on those vs the shield. There isn't a whole lot difference in price these days.

My Xbox was more than double the price so that’s a big difference to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

My Amazon market place order is arriving tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

Can someone post/pm a link please for installing ETB emulator.
    There is loads online, but then you read the comments at the bottom saying not working.
    It would save aload of time researching and troubleshooting if someone had verifed a working install guide.

Much appreciate the help.

Can you please send a link to where you got this for 159

Showing as 189 on nvidia.co.uk for me

Back down to 159 again on Nvidia.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

tonic wine wrote: »
    Back down to 159 again on Nvidia.co.uk

Not seeing it..only 189

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

GatsbyGal wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting this for my husband this Christmas. We already have an mxq s905 box and the buffering/lag is pretty bad on it. Sky broadband is our provider. If we get the nvidia shield, will these issues be ironed out with it or does Sky "block/slow" content on all boxes?
    Buy some TP link plugs and use a wired connect. It is simple to connect, take about 2 minutes and will eliminate most of the buffering. I have had quite a few android boxes in the past but nothing comes close to the shield.
    It take a little time to get used to it as it uses Android TV software in comparison to most others which use Android phone software. Some apps must be sideloaded which take a little getting used to. This is easy to do once figured out and there is loads of easy to follow information online.
    One of the main features of having the shield is the support and the software updates.

Not seeing it..only 189

£ not € in case that's the mix up.

I just double checked again, I went shop, shield TV 16gb £159.

Failing that, click the link from hot UK deals website.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

OmegaGene wrote: »

Home plugs are a great job alright, I have one pair in use but with the amount of things I’m buying I will need more
    Shield coming tomorrow, it’s like Christmas Eve here lol
    I currently use five home plugs throughout the house. The difference is night and day when comparing to wifi.

I currently use five home plugs throughout the house. The difference is night and day when comparing to wifi.

How do you set up five ? Just use an extension lead near the router, I have one set up for my streaming box but need more

These seem like a bargain for anyone looking for home-plugs and it’s kind of connected to the NVIDIA bargain

https://www.maplin.ie/p/maplin-tp-link-500mbps-wi-fi-powerline-kit-a59ng

• Advertisement

Here is the shield for £159

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/buy/shield/shield-tv-16-gb/

Need to use a uk address and best payment option is Revolut but PayPal works also and obviously all major cards are accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 9,906 ✭✭✭dodzy

Need to use a uk address and best payment option is Revolut but PayPal works also and obviously all major cards are accepted

Great price. Can't see it going lower than that over the next few days even on AMZ. These Nvidia direct reductions don't usually last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Schorpio

How do you set up five ? Just use an extension lead near the router, I have one set up for my streaming box but need more

These seem like a bargain for anyone looking for home-plugs and it’s kind of connected to the NVIDIA bargain

That does seem like a bargain for homeplugs, but I can't see any link to buy? Maybe they are not in stock?

If you already have a homeplug, but need more network ports at that location, it'll probably be cheaper to buy a basic network switch like this. That way you'll have lots of extra ports available to you.

Anyone who is with Eir and needs home plugs give them a call.
    They will give you a free set if you tell them you are having issues connecting via wifi .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,166 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I need homeplugs for the extension as well and right now I am using BT ones which get around 45MB down. No WiFi on them though. Do you have those maplin ones? I'm wondering if anyone knows does the WiFi feature on them pick up the signal through the power lines and then broadcast it or do they connect wirelessly to your current router to get the signal and rebroadcast it like a WiFi extender does?

No WiFi reaching the extension from my current router so hopefully it creates it's own WiFi network from the internet it picks up from the power lines. That would suit me perfectly.

Im not sure about the ones in maplin, I got these ones last year and they are not for extending WiFi at al.

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5742734/Trail/searchtext%3EHomeplugs.htm

I’m on the look out for more and they seemed like a bargain from maplin but as the other poster said they aren’t available to add to basket so maybe in store only

• Registered Users Posts: 9,906 ✭✭✭dodzy

Im not sure about the ones in maplin, I got these ones last year and they are not for extending WiFi at al.

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5742734/Trail/searchtext%3EHomeplugs.htm

I’m on the look out for more and they seemed like a bargain from maplin but as the other poster said they aren’t available to add to basket so maybe in store only

The idea with these is to extend wired internet via the power lines in your home. Always the preferred option if you have power sockets near both your router/modem and the point where the device will be placed. Far better setup. There are of course wifi extenders but the wired option would always be preferred.

dodzy wrote: »
    The idea with these is to extend wired internet via the power lines in your home. Always the preferred option if you have power sockets near both your router/modem and the point where the device will be placed. Far better setup. There are of course wifi extenders but the wired option would always be preferred.

Yeah I know the idea of them
    I was replying to oat but didn’t quote him

My bad

Shield has arrived, can’t beleive how tiny it is
    The zgemma h2s can go on adverts now hopefully, that was a pain to use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Thanks however it's gone back up again,
    probably was a limited amount rather than for a time period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

****e....had in cart at 159, went to next screen and it’s 189!!!!! Aghhh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement