Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail September Timetable Changes

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Are there no spare drivers for this eventuality?

I think you have the tip of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I think you have the tip of the problem.

How are the trainee drivers getting on? Have they finished their stint with a mentor or are they still being trained?

How long is this expected to take before they are available to drive solo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Are there no spare drivers for this eventuality?

Doesn't look like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Doesn't look like it.

Would there not normally be? Obviously there weren't yesterday but is it not normal that there are spare drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Decuc500 wrote: »
    I think it's quite obvious that the 10 minute Southside service could easily give up a few rush hour carriages to give to the 20 minute Northside service but Irish Rail don't seem to want to do this.

that's because they can't do it, because there are no carriges to give up. the 10 minute service is between bray and howth junction, and then trains serve malahide and howth on a 20 minute frequency. there are no carriges dedicated to the south side only, all go north and south.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

Would there not normally be? Obviously there weren't yesterday but is it not normal that there are spare drivers?

Maybe they were already used.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

that's because they can't do it, because there are no carriges to give up. the 10 minute service is between bray and howth junction, and then trains serve malahide and howth on a 20 minute frequency. there are no carriges dedicated to the south side only, all go north and south.

I think what they mean is that the trains heading south at the start of peak rush hour are longer than required. These obviously become the later northbound services.

There is possibly some adjustment that could be done in having the larger trains heading south even earlier so that they are northbound trains by the time of the rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Maybe they were already used.

Is this something like the Blue Flu?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is this something like the Blue Flu?

I think it is called choo choo flu.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

^^^

Post of the day contender!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Decuc500 wrote: »
    I think it's quite obvious that the 10 minute Southside service could easily give up a few rush hour carriages to give to the 20 minute Northside service but Irish Rail don't seem to want to do this.

People left behind on southside services, both directions. Trains are already shorter and packed early.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Southbound DART left Pearse 1min early.

I wonder was it done on purpose....

Southbound DART left Pearse 1min early.

I wonder was it done on purpose....

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Commuter train operating the 7.10 train to Sligo this evening.

thomasj wrote: »

Problem with an earlier set.

Hilly Bill wrote:
    Problem with an earlier set.

Will that affect either Maynooth or northern passengers in the morning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

A 29000 all the way to Sligo lovely. Will that set overnight in Sligo and work the first train back tomorrow?

tnegun wrote:
    A 29000 all the way to Sligo lovely. Will that set overnight in Sligo and work the first train back tomorrow?

I'm sure people on the Maynooth or northern line will be saying the same about the little intercity train they'll be getting in the morning in place of the 8 coach 29k they usually get.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Thats what I was wondering so it will overnight in Sligo and leave a commuter short tomorrow was it a 4 or 8 car set? It really highlights how stretched IE are stockwise. Do NIR have anything that could be loaned or are they as tight?

that will be a barrel of laughs for the users after a hard day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

Is the whole fleet on the road in the peak , have all the enterprises been brought back or what’s the story

tnegun wrote: »
    Thats what I was wondering so it will overnight in Sligo and leave a commuter short tomorrow was it a 4 or 8 car set? It really highlights how stretched IE are stockwise. Do NIR have anything that could be loaned or are they as tight?

they don't have any spair stock either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

And you know this how?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

tnegun wrote: »

Yes it will overnight and prob a 4 car. I think they are extra tight today after tree and cows getting in the way over the last few days.

They do but its irrelevant to the equation. Surely they will have an extra 2900 around.

Will that affect either Maynooth or northern passengers in the morning ?

No idea.

According to Irish rail upcoming disruption page
    Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th October

Northern and Maynooth commuters will operate from Dublin Connolly only.

http://www.irishrail.ie/service-updates/irishrail-engineering-works

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

strandroad wrote: »
    People left behind on southside services, both directions. Trains are already shorter and packed early.
    How often is that happening and can they generally get on the next train? I've seen no mention of it say on Irish Rail's Twitter account where people are, rightly, tearing into Irish Rail but it's all been Northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

According to Irish rail upcoming disruption page

http://www.irishrail.ie/service-updates/irishrail-engineering-works

Same as every other Saturday and Sunday since the new timetable started?

n97 mini wrote:
    Same as every other Saturday and Sunday since the new timetable started?

Exactly!

And at the end of the page they apologise for the inconvenience it may cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

L1011 wrote: »
    First Sligo service late at Maynooth as usual yet actually comes in to Connolly on time - on the wrong platform! 1 instead of 4, people having to run for connections particularly if they'd placed themselves for the right door and are now multiple cars down P1

Happened today as well but arrived 7 minutes early after gettinng a clear run from Drumcondra. There was 3x4 car on platforms 3 and 4.

Advertisement