Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is my car really worth so little?

• 12-09-2018 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭

I emailed a Renault dealer re: trading in my 161 Golf 1.6 highline.

He offered me €13k for it as a trade-in:eek:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

NIMAN wrote: »

Sell it privately

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not really ready to sell, was just enquiring for now.

But I do see myself changing maybe in the next 12 months.

Just got a shock when I seen the figure. I have had quotes before for it and none were anywhere near that low. I just think its a ridiculous figure.

As for selling privately, I tried this in the past with a car priced at €10k, and got little or no interest. I think its hard to sell privately, unless you make it so attractive, and even then some people will think 'whats wrong with that car, its very cheap'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Selling privately is easy, you just need to box clever and take good pictures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Selling privately is easy, you just need to box clever and take good pictures

Tough to part with that much cash on a private sale.

What is this 1998, bank transfers are the way to go nowadays.

• Advertisement

What is this 1998, bank transfers are the way to go nowadays.
    Sorry, tough to part with that much cash with no comeback if the car is a lemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭rn

I agree... IMHO tough to sell privately for over 8k. Heading in 8+k terroritry and you're starting to attract the buyer that needs finance and a lot of tyre kickers.

You are competing with 161 UK diesel golf's, which are rapidly falling out of favour over there and a terribly weak pound.

Sorry, tough to part with that much cash with no comeback if the car is a lemon.

I've bought and sold afew lemons, but ive also bought and sold some great cars.

Insist on a pre purchase inspection at a local indy garage you trust and go in eyes open. Just because a seller has a forecourt doesn't mean they won't do everything possible to screw you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Average price on donedeal seems to be about 20,000 with a few at 16,000 so depends on mileage and condition.

Renault dealer may not have been interested in taking it all so offered you a lowball offer plus trying to make a tidy profit on it if they do take it in.

May also be concerned about taking in a diesel this close to the budget

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Average price on donedeal seems to be about 20,000 with a few at 16,000 so depends on mileage and condition.

Renault dealer may not have been interested in taking it all so offered you a lowball offer plus trying to make a tidy profit on it if they do take it in.

Who in their right mind would trade a VW and buy a Renault FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭pah

Sold my car recently for 15.5k had to drop from 17 to 16k after a while as not much genuine interest. I was patient and had a good ad IMO, dropped price after right amount of time etc.

Somebody posted on another thread, there's a buyer for every car which I believe is true.

Username quite coincidental.

Vast majority of trade-ins in Ireland would be diesel.

But again, dealers look after no1. They would say "ah sure diesels aren't selling any more" to someone like me trying to trade one in, yet to someone on their forecourt looking to buy it would be "nonsense, there's loads of years left in diesels".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

If you're taking that much of a hit at trade in and private sale why would u even bother?
    You'd be far better off to just keep the car and drive it into the ground. When you're buying new the only way to get your proper money's worth it of it is to drive it to death. Otherwise your just constantly shelling out money on depreciation. Pure waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

They are taking into account , that they could have it sitting there for a while before selling it, and I am shure they would have to have it serviced, as well as making a tiny profit for it in the end, they also valet these,

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nah. I sold a nearly new car for over twice that - in 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

100% right.

These lads are full of it. Full of shÃ႒­t and lies.
    I would imagine having a compulsive lying disorder is a very desirable skill in the motor industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A few things to note here:

1. He gave you a blind low ball figure based on a car he hasn't seen. He is offering a low trade-in price to cover his own ass in the event the car is a ball of **** in the flesh. He would probably improve his offer when your serious and sitting in front of him ready to deal.

2. He might also have thought you were a time waster that is just shooting off emails to various dealers to see what your car is worth rather than actually be interested in doing a deal.

3. There are 197 used 2016 Golfs for sale on carsireland.ie alone plus you can import them from the UK, your up against those when trading as the dealer has to sell your Golf after you sell it to him. Also VW pushed a lot of Golfs out on cheap PCP in 2016 so a fair amount of these will be due back flooding the second hand market in early 2019 which affects resale values.

4. You will never get a serious price via email or over the phone. You need to be in front of them.

5. Trade in prices can vary dealer to dealer so shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is it a price for 2019?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

13k seems low but I'd agree with Bazz that you aren't going to get serious figures via email.

We priced trading in our Golf 162 diesel highline around 3 months ago, it has a fairly high mileage for a 2 year old car (95k kms) and we were offered €18.5k. Maybe the market is moving that fast but i would expect a little more than €13k for a 161 highline diesel with a reasonable mileage.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    A few things to note here:

1. He gave you a blind low ball figure based on a car he hasn't seen. He is offering a low trade-in price to cover his own ass in the event the car is a ball of **** in the flesh. He would probably improve his offer when your serious and sitting in front of him ready to deal.

2. He might also have thought you were a time waster that is just shooting off emails to various dealers to see what your car is worth rather than actually be interested in doing a deal.

3. There are 197 used 2016 Golfs for sale on carsireland.ie alone plus you can import them from the UK, your up against those when trading as the dealer has to sell your Golf after you sell it to him. Also VW pushed a lot of Golfs out on cheap PCP in 2016 so a fair amount of these will be due back flooding the second hand market in early 2019 which affects resale values.

4. You will never get a serious price via email or over the phone. You need to be in front of them.

5. Trade in prices can vary dealer to dealer so shop around.

Yeah I take all these points on board, some of them make perfect sense.

But you have to look at it from the car owners angle too.

If I was serious about that Renault, then I would not be planning a trip to see him now, thinking he will offer such a cr@p trade-in value.

If he had been more realistic, he might have got me on to his forecourt, and once there he might have been able to convince me to buy a car off him.

No he has zero chance.

Anyway, I know my car is worth more than €13k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Casati

If I was serious about that Renault, then I would not be planning a trip to see him now, thinking he will offer such a cr@p trade-in value.

If he had been more realistic, he might have got me on to his forecourt, and once there he might have been able to convince me to buy a car off him.

No he has zero chance.

Your car is worth more than 13k unless yours has massive mileage but in reality he’s not even offering you that as he would probably give 2k/3k off whatever Renault you are buying if you had no trade in.

Unlike others saying to sell privately, my advise would be to go to as many others dealers as you can and see what offers you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I'll give you €13,100 for it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No he has zero chance.

How much is a 2 year old Golf from the UK? Because that's what you are competing against.

Your car is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay not what you want. Also the trade in price doesn't matter its the cost to change which counts, its easy to give a good trade in if you price the other car high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Del2005 wrote: »

No he has zero chance.

How much is a 2 year old Golf from the UK?  Because that's what you are competing against.  

Your car is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay not what you want.  Also the trade in price doesn't matter its the cost to change which counts, its easy to give a good trade in if you price the other car high.
    Its not that simple. Buying a car in the uk has travel and car check costs and is a total pain in the arse to organise everything from the start right through to vrt. Put simply its not for everyone and buying a ready to go Irish model from a dealer would be worth a €2k premium to a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

However when your talking about trade-in values then what the same car can be bought for in the UK is relevant. From personal experience this is what dealers here are basing their trade-in valuations on. They generally don't want to buy your current car for more than it can cost them to buy and import the same car from the UK for.

Out of interest OP what car were you looking to trade in against?

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Its not that simple. Buying a car in the uk has travel and car check costs and is a total pain in the arse to organise everything from the start right through to vrt. Put simply its not for everyone and buying a ready to go Irish model from a dealer would be worth a €2k premium to a lot of people.

Not really. Plenty of middlemen bringing cars over already and charging less than 2k for the privilege.
    UK Car imports have 13 2016 Golfs with a 1.6 engine for less than 17k euro including VRT and delivery.
    Not sure how spec matches the highline, but that's where you're aiming with a private sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Not really ready to sell, was just enquiring for now

Just "testing the water" were you?

TBH He probably low balled you to send you packing until you were actually changing. I've seen them do it to find out how serious someone is about changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

That valuation is a bit low IMO.

I traded in my 151 Comfortline 1.2 petrol earlier this summer.

At the start of the year I went to audi south dublin and got a similarly insulting offer, €11k. This was from a guy who had seen my car and given me a test drive on an a3 so I don't know what he was playing at. It was average milage and it good knick, full service history at the main dealer etc.
    The car i was looking for was ex demo and he was basically trying to make the full value on it by giving me a discount on the price but equally giving such a crap price on trade it that it was completely not worth my while. I told him to take a run and jump.

I actually traded in at a midlands VW dealership who my family have years of experience with. Sight unseen he offered me €14k (a VW dealership in Dublin also offered €14k so this must be the standard VW offer) but once I told him i was serious and wanted his best offer, he ended up beating the Dublin garage by €1300, so I did the deal :)

Why do you want a Renaut anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

SozBbz wrote: »
    Why do you want a Renaut anyway?

Probably wants something reliable that wasn't tested on monkeys.

Advertisement