Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,866 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Edgware wrote: »
    Leave North Wall around 10p.m. Friday and land in Liverpool around 6.00 a.m.

8 hours on the ferry!!! A truck ferry rather than cars presumably, the drivers would need an overnight rest anyway so no point going faster. The daytime car and passenger ferries were faster, I never sailed to Liverpool but going to Holyhead took about 3.5 hours. It was the 90s not the 70s or 80s when the HSS came in, 99 minutes and smooth and comfortable too. They added about half an hour to the trip time in its later years to save on fuel, cheap air travel killed it really.

Life ain't always empty.

nthclare wrote: »
    Are the fog horn's still harping away ?

The foghorns were done away with about 15 years ago a bit less than that, thanks L1011 :)

When I lived in Clonskeagh which isn't that close to to coast, you could hear the foghorns on a still, foggy night.

Life ain't always empty.

It was a mixture of both! You have a good way with words, and that Dublin propensity for being nostalgic about the ‘rare auld times’.

The poster did point out the bad as well as the good.

Lie down on the couch there Johnny and tell us about your childhood :cool:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Geoff Read was laughed at by Gay Byrne on the Late Late show in 1981

Most of the nation joined in. Irish people buying water pah!

Mr Read went on to launch Ballygowan and become wealthy

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pretty boy floyd

I’m quite sad to say that I didn’t think twice about trying to find a job in Ireland when I finished uni in 1991. It still seemed very difficult to do much unless you were connected. I left that year and I am still an emigrant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

National Lottery started in 1987

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

If any song destroyed the 80s, it's this one...:eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

branie2 wrote: »

Are you intending this as a positive or negative of the 80s?

It effectively replaced the insanely corrupt Hospital Sweepstakes, which is a good thing at least.

L1011 wrote: »
    Are you intending this as a positive or negative of the 80s?

It effectively replaced the insanely corrupt Hospital Sweepstakes, which is a good thing at least.

definitely positive

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Babooshka wrote: »
    We had a fruit and veg man who came in a van.

This brought back memories.

We had a van deliver to us in rural midlands in the late 70s.
    Every Tuesday evening, Tommy would arrive in the van and my mother would get whatever she needed.
    A loaf of white bread with us fighting over who'd get the crust.
    A few rashers for the dinner the following day.

And an occasional Curly Wurly if we were very very good children.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

We actually had a fruit and veg van around in the early 90s; but for some reason my mother can't remember it at all. Guy who ran it still has a normal greengrocers shop that I still use

We still have a milkman, a door to door dry cleaner/laundry/alterations/cobbler and newspaper delivery.

Back in rural Donegal where my parents spend about half the year now there is still a butchers van (that sells some other stuff too) and a twice weekly shop van; but the ones I still have + the old veg van were in a suburban area.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭newirishman

Every Tuesday evening, Tommy would arrive in the van and my mother would get whatever she needed.

Right.

Well, I guess it was Pre-AIDS after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

You'd read Oliver Twist in school, back then, and think, "what a spoiled little b*stard!"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

We did not have to worry about Political correctness nor the presence of the presence of the state adverts saying how to behave.

Manach wrote: »
    nor the presence of the presence of the state adverts saying how to behave.

You clearly didn't actually watch TV, then. "public information" advertising was at a high in the 80s. Road safety, water safety, alcohol consumption, power line safety; if we go back to the 70s you can add nuclear safety to it too

branie2 wrote: »

I remember my father having a great plan to buy a couple of these lottery scratchcards every pay day. Bought two the first week ,won nothing and swore he'd never buy one again.

Price of a pint back then was about £1.20-£1.40. I reckon that's what put him off scratchcards.

Scratchcards were 50p at the time - the direct equivalents are €3 now (Winning Streak, All Cash with similar prize values) so they'll still make a big dent in the price of a pint. There's €1 ones with much smaller prizes which are barely dearer than the original ones and obviously a much lower % of a pint though.

Scratchcards were 50p at the time - the direct equivalents are €3 now (Winning Streak, All Cash with similar prize values) so they'll still make a big dent in the price of a pint. There's €1 ones with much smaller prizes which are barely dearer than the original ones and obviously a much lower % of a pint though.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I thought they were a pound. I still don't remember them being 50p. Not doubting you by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

-- If you drink, don't drive but if you do, just two will do....
    -- Safe cross code
    -- Where's grandad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjWHrjCG1LQ
    You clearly didn't actually watch TV, then. "public information" advertising was at a high in the 80s. Road safety, water safety, alcohol consumption, power line safety; if we go back to the 70s you can add nuclear safety to it too

The BBC and I.T.V. used to have "schools and colleges" programmes on weekday mornings. It must have been a service to the national curriculum in British schools.

So,one morning in the seventies , I'm off school in Ireland (holy day) ,eating my cornflakes , home alone at ten a.m. watching some hospital programme.

The next minute,there's a screaming woman ,legs akimbo , blood and mess everywhere and out pops a crying baby. Fcuk me, it must have been sex ed. for secondary schools in Britain.

I've never forgotten that moment. Some days you go to bed knowing your little world has changed for ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Young ones now expect their parents to fund a holiday abroad with their friends for doing the leaving cert.
    Back then you were straight into summer job of full time work as soon as you finished the exams, one night on the beer maybe to celebrate.

Remember when the TV channels used to close down for the night, you would get the annoying ringing sound and a test screen like these

hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg

The clock on television before programmes started

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

O Domhnaill Abu playing on RTE radio 1 at 6.30am every morning until the news at 6.33.

haunting tune

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Remember when the TV channels used to close down for the night, you would get the annoying ringing sound and a test screen like these

hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    Times certainly had improved when instead we got Feeder, Damien Duff bowing and an injury to the dreaded big toe area.

hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg

RTÉ 1 and RTÉ 2 had 2 different sounds with their test screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    Yes. I remember the RTE one well as that was all we had. I used to call the test card the roundy thing and I remember as a child watching it impatiently waiting for the programmes to start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

8 hours on the ferry!!! A truck ferry rather than cars presumably, the drivers would need an overnight rest anyway so no point going faster. The daytime car and passenger ferries were faster, I never sailed to Liverpool but going to Holyhead took about 3.5 hours. It was the 90s not the 70s or 80s when the HSS came in, 99 minutes and smooth and comfortable too. They added about half an hour to the trip time in its later years to save on fuel, cheap air travel killed it really.

I can remember getting an overnight ferry to Liverpool and having a cabin to sleep in. Mostly went to Holyhead. Did that a lot. Haven't been on a Ferry in a very long time.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    I can remember getting an overnight ferry to Liverpool and having a cabin to sleep in. Mostly went to Holyhead. Did that a lot. Haven't been on a Ferry in a very long time.
    You can still go on the lorry boat for quite cheap. I saw a musician from england once and he said that's how travels to ireland for gigs. There is a cabin with loads of bunks like a hostel but most truckers nowadays would sleep in the cab instead.

Advertisement